Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Choosing my next MMORPG

mcordanimcordani Member UncommonPosts: 5

Whats up guys,

New to the multiplayer world, played everquest 2 for a while. Looking for something new.

Can someone clarify the difference between sandbox and Theme park MMORPG?

This is what I like:

- Very similar to SWG

-Player driven economy (tons of crafting)

-The ability to open your own store

- Different options for career choices

- SWG had dancers and musicians, thought that was pretty cool

-player created cities

-customizable player housing (the ability to furnish n' such)

-cool combat features

-mounts and vehicles...

- cool quests/storylines

-cool respectful community

Its a big world out there and I am lost! Any help would be welcome!

Michael

Comments

• LethalSilenceLethalSilence Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by mcordani

Whats up guys,

New to the multiplayer world, played everquest 2 for a while. Looking for something new.

This is what I like:

- Very similar to SWG

-player created cities

-cool combat features

-mounts and vehicles...

- cool quests/storylines

Michael

Try Uncharted Waters Online. It's a game that was set in the age of exploration. Though I'm really sorry it's far from SWG, but im gonna answer anyway. Look up screenshots on google. Based on what you require on the game i say:

-Player driven economy (tons of crafting) = In UWO players trade stuff they craft in order to craft another item. Let's say this player's job was to make fabrics, player tailors would buy them to make clothes to sell to other players.

-The ability to open your own store = You set up your own "bazaar"

- Different options for career choices = 3 Classes hundreds of jobs. Adventure class = could be surveyor, explorer, fisher, artist, ocean/ruin explorer, etc. Merchant = Chandler, Foods dealer, etc. Battle = Naval Officer, Junior Officer, Privateer, Scout, Supply Corps etc. Proof: http://uwo.netmarble.com/guide/characterClass.asp?mCode=1&sCode=1

-player created cities = when you have a company, you can go to America and make a settlement built by you and your company members

-customizable player housing (the ability to furnish n' such) = Yes, but limited on low lvls

-cool combat features = Hundreds of skills and Naval Combat is cool (land Combat is meh)

-mounts and vehicles... = Ships are your vehicles

- cool quests/storylines = Quests from guilds, storyline from your Country

-cool respectful community = Respectful, but there are pirates who steal your stuff on hostile waters, they do it cause it's part of the game and gives challenges to traders XD

I'm sorry if it's not like SWG, but it's the closest I can think of

• JesusIsLord12JesusIsLord12 Member Posts: 3

Path of Exile is great... also Dota or LoL...

There is just too many great MMOs

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I'm a final year student at University in the UK. My project is on MMORPG and the social aspects. If anyone would be able to take a few moments to fill out this survey it would be a great help!

thanks!

https://www.esurveycreator.co.uk/s/acc731c

You might find this of value if you're doing research on gaming, one of our students defended (And passed) this Fall. https://www.youngandwellcrc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Videogames_and_Wellbeing.pdf

• CaitybeeCaitybee Member UncommonPosts: 7
    @mcordani - I am here to promote a game that needs support from players like you to get it off the ground. It's called Luvinia World. You can check it out here - http://luviniaworld.com/home.php

We need to raise 500$US for server upkeep, I have partnered with someone to make the game possible if we can hit this mark.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    mcordani said:

Whats up guys,

This is what I like:

- Very similar to SWG

-player created cities

-cool combat features

-mounts and vehicles...

- cool quests/storylines

Michael

Darkfall Unholy Wars... why??

It has everything that you listed except for musicians.. yeah right you are not going to find that really anywhere.. and when you talk about cool quests or storylines, do you mean the solo PVE content? Darkfall has practically non of that... but its a true MMORPG and focuses on group PVE and PVP and how you interact with other players more than how you interact with the environment. The only storyline is what you do with other people that you have to share the world with. Much more meaningful in the end than storyline PVE content... seriously if you want that than skip MMORPG altogether and just play Morrowind or something...

; )

You do not have to play alone to catch up with others. You can join an active alliance and play with other people from the beginning and it only takes about a week of hardcore play to create an toon that can feel like an end game character but there is always something to work for and things to do.

I do not really play this game alone.. and I find people at any given time during the day online in teamspeak ready to play with me every time. The game is that group oriented and should be like that from the beginning you just have to join an active alliance. Send me a message and I could hook you up with one of ours. We are mostly over 30+, mature gamers, oldschool players, etc. and are always online.

Here is example of what I do in the game, every sentence being a sometimes several hour gaming session:

Last I played we killed a dragon.
    Time before that we killed a dungeon boss.
    we won a PVP siege
    we capped the sea towers and had some boat fights.
    we farmed for food
    we lost a PVP siege (meh.. win some and lose some)
    we helped out new players earn some quick prowess
    etc. list goes on I am always trying to mix it up

Crafting is very important in this game and EXTREMELY useful to have. Harvesting can be done all over the map.

The game is mostly focused on group PVE because farming is always needed, then PVP (which may not be that often if you dont want it to be), and almost no solo PVE content in the way that you may be used to..

There is player housing and a auction market.

Just trust me.. if you want to play with other people just try it out for a month. You will have a unique experience.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited May 2016
    Sid_Vicious said:

Just trust me.. if you want to play with other people just try it out for a month. You will have a unique experience.
    Darkfall Unholy Wars is a love or hate game because it definitely does have a unique personality. Its uniqueness does make it worth trying if you are serious and don't mind full loot FFA pvp. You do need to play with others if you want to have fun. I probably would have gone back and tried it again, but I remember how important it is to have low ping for this game.

Most people hate it, but it's worth trying and you could wind up finding a game you love. But nothing in between.

• OrionKnightOrionKnight Member UncommonPosts: 31
    SWTOR, RO2, Ragnarok Journey, Atlantica, Phantasy Star? a lot of games tho.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited May 2017
    The Repopulation tries to do this. But unfortunately, the ip isn't in the hands of the original developers anymore. So maybe not expect too much. Original devteam are big fans of SWG and UO though.