Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE plans to allow RMT(gold sellers) during the live game

Comments

• Azrael_AntaryonAzrael_Antaryon Member UncommonPosts: 40

It's the fundamental problem of selling in game items for real world cash.  That is the heart of pay to win.  And here is Caspien's direct quote on that:

If people have a lot of time, but little money, want to use that as a way to create in-game items which they then sell to other players who have disposable income but less free-time, we view that as a win-win.

If you allow selling the finite resources this game brags about, for real world money its p2w. When you have whales already putting $40,000 (correct me if that figure is incorrect) into the game... they are likely not even going to think twice about paying $500 to buy the best armor for their troops or paying $1000 to have a leader turncoat and betray his current king.   Those are all great gaming opportunities lost because it's tainted by outside influences.

That figure is correct. What you are missing though, the reason why he put that much money into the game and the fact that the game's community isn't bothered by it at all. The guy in question isn't even a King (that I am sure of) or even a duke (as far as I know) in the game. He only payed that amount because 1) he wants to see the game succeed and 2) because he wants to build a grand city. 

Now as to the community, you should get involved with it before you try to assume, the game is developed for a niche market of old school roleplayers and people with families or other RL occupations. Obviously the more people play it the better, but that is the community the game targets. 

Now I don't mind if you want to hate on the game, that is your choice, if you want to provide objective perspective of its development though you should get involved with it instead of relying on second hand information when you present your observations.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Now I don't mind if you want to hate on the game, that is your choice, if you want to provide objective perspective of its development though you should get involved with it instead of relying on second hand information when you present your observations.

Caspian quotes are second hand information?
    Harbinger of Fools

Dakeru said:

If they are out of context and are taken from someone on the forum then yes, they are.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited May 2017

Dakeru said:

If they are out of context and are taken from someone on the forum then yes, they are.

Lol...

The person in question actually owns not one but TWO buy to king slots on the same server.  2 out of 6.  All the others just paid 10k right so they'd never spend more buying resources for real cash in order to keep their position on top of the plebs...

I can't wait until these guys start hiring folks with real money.  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Dakeru said:

Lol...

The person in question actually owns not one but TWO buy to king slots on the same server.  2 out of 6.  I can't wait until these guys start hiring folks with real money.  

In light of Bless RU shutting down allegedly because of pay to win issues, then you have to wonder what chance this game will actually have, because when reality hits, not that many players are willing to put up with games that are too overtly pay to win, and for Bless to be shut down before its even really got anywhere, you really have to wonder if pandering to the RMT'ers will not end in disaster, there is a very good reason after all, that the most successful games out there, go to great lengths to combat RMT'ers and other ne'er do wells. O.o

Dakeru said:

Lol...

The person in question actually owns not one but TWO buy to king slots on the same server.  2 out of 6.  All the others just paid 10k right so they'd never spend more buying resources for real cash in order to keep their position on top of the plebs...

You do realize, that 1 king slot costs 10.000$ and he paid 40.000$, so even if you were right, he would own 4 kingdoms, not 2...But of course you are actually wrong, since you didn't do your homework properly, yet again ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited May 2017

Dakeru said:

Lol...

You do realize, that 1 king slot costs 10.000$ and he paid 40.000$, so even if you were right, he would own 4 kingdoms, not 2...But of course you are actually wrong, since you didn't do your homework properly, yet again ;)

Why is it that I ALWAYS know more than the self proclaimed fans?

/sigh... here:

02:45 AM - Sat Dec 10 2016#27
    +7

Caspian

• Owner
    • 1523 Posts
    • July 2014

Try $40,000....

02:51 AM - Sat Dec 10 2016#28
    +13

Caspian

• Owner
    • 1523 Posts
    • July 2014

Things indeed change. With each new surprise and encounter, the team and I think long and hard about how the things unfolding affect our vision, and whether such a thing would make the game less fun or enjoyable as a player.

The example in this case being Adam buying a second Kingdom. While he may have been the first to do it, he wasn't the first to offer or initiate the idea, so we'd thought about it before.

We're ok with it, because like all things in CoE, things are subject to change. The only constant is that tomorrow will be different than today.

If Adam wants to put $10,000 USD toward creating a single Kingdom which is twice as large as the others on a server of 4 or 5 Kingdoms, we're ok with it. While it may take away someone else's opportunity to put up $10,000 for a Kingdom, it's first-come, first-serve with respect to buying limited domains.

In the end, it creates a unique story on the server. And while some people are afraid of what effect it will have, if you believe we have given you the tools to depose someone who has become an emperor on your server through player actions, then we've given you the tools to deal with an emperor who set himself up to begin the 10-year story that way.

If you're concerned about us not giving you the tools to deal with such a scenario, then we should discuss possible tools and solutions.

But, claiming you'll ask for a refund if we allow something to happen is not the way to deal with this issue. Have a respectful conversation, explore possible outcomes, and ultimately trust that we're paying attention, listening, and care just as much about the success of the game as you do.

So yes... he paid $40,000,  of which $20,000 went to buying not one (and not four), but TWO Kingdoms.  His other $20,000 is spent (I assume) on the in game pre-launch currency of EP which he will be free to spend to buy things like more resources and skills etc... 

So really... if you are going to challenge me on something I have said, please  at least link with something that actually disputes what I have said.  You will learn that I ALWAYS do my homework.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

It's strange how its people that are not even going to play the game that is bothered about people buying more than one kingdom...

It's strange how people who don't care about this site keep signing up to tell us we are wrong.
    Asm0deus
    Harbinger of Fools
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I think the selling of kingdoms is completely ridiculous (and totally p2w), but how do you think allowing rmt in the game is different than the two step selling of currency that is part of many mmos these days? (Sorry if you have already discussed that, I may have missed it).
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Almost any game worth its salt as RMT's, regardless of whether or not the game developer makes an attempt to stop it.  If you aren't aware of this, or disagree with this, you are sorely mistaken.  I wouldn't decide to pass on a game for this reason alone. 
  • MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    So in this game the economy will be ruined because "dey took er jerbs!". Chinese gold farmers will flock to such a game as a form of employment. They will be willing to sell things 10x cheaper than everyone else and the actual in game currency value will absolutely tank. A set of noob gear will cost more gold than a noob could farm in 2 weeks and instead have a value of $10 or some such. I mean...it eventually happens in every game anyway, but allowing it from the get go will mean it goes straight through the roof from day 1. 

Phry said:

Dakeru said:

Lol...

The person in question actually owns not one but TWO buy to king slots on the same server.  2 out of 6.  I can't wait until these guys start hiring folks with real money.  

In light of Bless RU shutting down allegedly because of pay to win issues, then you have to wonder what chance this game will actually have, because when reality hits, not that many players are willing to put up with games that are too overtly pay to win, and for Bless to be shut down before its even really got anywhere, you really have to wonder if pandering to the RMT'ers will not end in disaster, there is a very good reason after all, that the most successful games out there, go to great lengths to combat RMT'ers and other ne'er do wells. O.o

Bless closed it's Beta in Russia to add more content and shore up the systems before a broad launch in the West. The Russian Beta is the template for the Western release and after we all gave them feedback they decided to close it down for (around 3 months or so) to shore things up for a larger Western audience. It had zero to do with P2W

Not sure how that relates to the 'west' when a different publisher is involved? and how many 'Beta's have shut down prior to release? hell, most of them don't even bother with server wipes anymore.
    Also, what does it mean for the 'possible' NA/EU version, if Bless.ru servers having been shut down, are a permanent discontinuation? is it not possible that the NA/EU publisher drops the game also?  O.o
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    It'll go as well as Diablo 3's RMT experiment, except with a lot more scamming if there's no system in place to manage it as a go between. And just like in D3, it'll encourage botters and exploiters like crazy. They'll be the only ones who actually benefit from the system in the end, and undercut every legitimate player that got the foolish notion they'd make money from this game (LOL).

That being said, I can see their logic. It'll be a constant fight against these pariahs (and the lazy bastards keeping them in business), which is something an Indie dev probably can't afford to waste resources on. Especially not when their game is already going to be a niche title.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited May 2017
    But EVE Online, Arche Age, DOTA 2, All have real money trading...

Even Albion Online has Real Money Trading with the game company you can spend as much as you want and never have to do any work in the game just fight fight fight and obtain gear (FREE) from other players on the market using nothing but real money.

They just frown upon players trading for (REAL MONEY) outside of the game because the game company doesn't profit...

This excludes when you buy from someone who cheated, spams, or gained it by illegal means that break a games TOS.

Torval said:

Phry said:

Dakeru said:

Lol...

So you predict the closing of EVE too?

CCP has one of the most pro-active anti RMT teams in the gaming industry, which when you consider the size of Eve Onlines playerbase, is perhaps surprising, also, since when have CCP ever pandered to the RMT'ers? its one of the main activities that players engage in that can and usually does, cause them to permanently lose their accounts.
    Eve has always been actively RMT hostile, being an RMT'er in Eve Online is a bit like flying a shuttle into deepest null sec and insulting everyone in local, the response is swift, and usually very explodey.
    As i said before, there is a very good reason that the most successful games out there, do not pander to RMT, even BDO, which does have some P2W aspects does not allow direct player trading, which still annoys gold sellers, but even if you do wish to convert real money into silver by using the pearl shop and selling cosmetic outfits, it has such limitations in place that the gains from selling pearl items on the market are both limited and expensive. It limits you to 5 transactions per week, which even if you made use of the maximum and spent 5 x $30 it would likely only net you around 100 million silver, to give a rough example, a tri kzarka weapon is valued at a little over 400 million silver, and for pvp its pretty much entry level. O.o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The best way to fight them  is have their own microtransactions that provide what goldsellers offer by default.

Because when the demand exists, so will the supply and who plays it smart knows how to make use of that in ways that do not feed gold sellers. 
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited May 2017
    One major difference between RMT and the company selling cash shop items or PLEX is that the latter at least puts the money in the company's hands.  Honestly, there's always the possibility that Eve could have been so much more if it didn't allow the selling of PLEX, or maybe the selling of PLEX didn't affect it at all, but either way, we don't have any other alternate universe Eve to compare it to right now.  At the very least, though, the selling of PLEX likely helped Eve stay afloat all these years, unlike RMT.

Allowing RMT but not profiting from it, meanwhile, is basically all the negatives with none of the positives.  And most experienced Pay-to-Win companies are VERY aware of the negatives (and obviously very aware of the positives, too).  Not that the developers of CoE fall under that category, apparently (or they couldn't be bothered to do their research since a multi-million dollar pay-to-win company publically posted a presentation on the matter)

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016417/-100-000-Whales-An
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Torval said:

CCP has one of the most pro-active anti RMT teams in the gaming industry, which when you consider the size of Eve Onlines playerbase, is perhaps surprising, also, since when have CCP ever pandered to the RMT'ers? its one of the main activities that players engage in that can and usually does, cause them to permanently lose their accounts.
    Eve has always been actively RMT hostile, being an RMT'er in Eve Online is a bit like flying a shuttle into deepest null sec and insulting everyone in local, the response is swift, and usually very explodey.
    As i said before, there is a very good reason that the most successful games out there, do not pander to RMT, even BDO, which does have some P2W aspects does not allow direct player trading, which still annoys gold sellers, but even if you do wish to convert real money into silver by using the pearl shop and selling cosmetic outfits, it has such limitations in place that the gains from selling pearl items on the market are both limited and expensive. It limits you to 5 transactions per week, which even if you made use of the maximum and spent 5 x $30 it would likely only net you around 100 million silver, to give a rough example, a tri kzarka weapon is valued at a little over 400 million silver, and for pvp its pretty much entry level. O.o

Of course they're pro-active against third party sellers, but they're definitely not anti-rmt. They sell the resource and let players freely trade that "real-money-transaction" conversion from currency to PLEX and then to ISK.

And everyone claims to have the most proactive anti rmt program - Blizzard, CCP, NCSoft (hahaha - that was a joke). I think that's actually the point. How much to they spend trying to fight RMT and they're already established with funds to do so. It's not like they're successful. They just have a great PR machine marketing their valiant attempts. "No one can say they don't care or try!" - See they got you on board.

Yep... Of course a company trying to sell it themselves is going to attempt to crack down on third party sales, to protect their own profits. How effective they are at it is another story...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Rhoklaw said:

Rhoklaw said:

This all goes back to my earlier post in the thread about the game being P2W due to people buying kingdoms. I stated then that the only reason a game developer has any reason to fall prey to P2W or in this case, allowing RMT, is if you have zero faith in your game selling itself. All these things are simply gimmicks to acquire capital in order to even finish the game, but who in their right mind would even play, let alone buy a game that blatantly admits to P2W and RMT being available?

Yes, MMOs change while they are being developed. However, changes like this have nothing to do with making your game viable. These types of change only focus on one thing and that is to acquire capital in exchange for in-game advantages.

BDO is another example of flat out lying when it comes to developers saying one thing and then turning around and doing exactly what they said they would not do or in their silver tongue manner, avoid to do. It only took them 2 weeks after the NA launch to add P2W items on the cash shop.

Surely this goes as to what you assume is p2w. I don't believe this game will be p2w and due to the mechanics of the game I don't think rmt will be as popular as say wow.

I mean the game doesn't need bots to level your character, it has ooc scripting built in.
    Also who needs to spend real money for a sword when I can buy one cheap enough in game. There will be plenty of blacksmiths etc to keep items affordable.

It's not as though I'm looking for a longsword of flaming as there will be no such thing in the game.

I know P2W is the incorrect terminology for what is being discussed, but it's the coined phrase that everyone understands. So please, stop playing dumb by saying CoE isn't following the ideology associated with the phrase P2W. Are people getting an in-game advantage in exchange for real money? If you answer yes to that question, your game has P2W mechanics.

It should really be called P2H (pay to have)... Because in most sandbox games having certainly doesn't equate to winning. It can easily become P2L as I'm sure many have found out in games like EVE, possibly more often than not. 

If you're paying to jump ahead in such games, in many cases you're simply painting a big red target on yourself, getting noticed isn't exactly a good thing in that environment. Kinda like being in the middle of shark infested waters with bloody beef parts strapped to you. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Dakeru said:

It's strange how its people that are not even going to play the game that is bothered about people buying more than one kingdom...

It's strange how people who don't care about this site keep signing up to tell us we are wrong.

It's Strange that people who don't know anything about CoE keep telling the fans they are wrong...

@Slapshot1188 That includes you too since I am not talking about Adam Burrfoot, but Ghettomaster a single account backer, who payed 40.000+ $

Since neither of you two know anything about the game mechanics and the way they work, your concerns about the titles given out aren't based on solid ground either. Again, for you to understand why the game's community is largely unconcerned about these titles being handed out would require you to get involved with it. And again if you want to hate on it, you are free to do so, but at least be informed please that way we can at least have a mature conversation.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Torval said:

Of course they're pro-active against third party sellers, but they're definitely not anti-rmt. They sell the resource and let players freely trade that "real-money-transaction" conversion from currency to PLEX and then to ISK.

And everyone claims to have the most proactive anti rmt program - Blizzard, CCP, NCSoft (hahaha - that was a joke). I think that's actually the point. How much to they spend trying to fight RMT and they're already established with funds to do so. It's not like they're successful. They just have a great PR machine marketing their valiant attempts. "No one can say they don't care or try!" - See they got you on board.
    There are 2 things being mixed up together.

1) Exchange of virtual goods for real money.
    2) Activities tied with 3rd party servicies providing exchange of virtual goods for real money.

The former isn't an issue, the latter is and what game companies are fighting.

edited May 2017

Dakeru said:

It's Strange that people who don't know anything about CoE keep telling the fans they are wrong...

@Slapshot1188 That includes you too since I am not talking about Adam Burrfoot, but Ghettomaster a single account backer, who payed 40.000+ $

Since neither of you two know anything about the game mechanics and the way they work, your concerns about the titles given out aren't based on solid ground either. Again, for you to understand why the game's community is largely unconcerned about these titles being handed out would require you to get involved with it. And again if you want to hate on it, you are free to do so, but at least be informed please that way we can at least have a mature conversation.

Again, I am not only fully informed about the game but also know what is talked about behind not just the 1st pay to read secret forum, but also the super select $1k contributor one. Because it makes you feel better to state I am uninformed (multiple times) does not make it correct.

Loki speaks truth! (Thanks Tim!)

Dakeru said:

In fact I didn't comment on the rmt stuff at all.
    If this game ever releases it will be in such a poor state that rmt will be their least problem.

It's guys like you I comment on. You always claim that you know better.
    All of Snap's quotes were direct quotes from Caspian himself and yet you keep accusing him of being misinformed.

Let me put it straight:
    You know nothing - you are just so blinded by that cult you worship that you can't even think straight for 5 minutes.
    Harbinger of Fools