Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation - Ashes Crushed KickStarter. What Next? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ShadowvenShadowven Member UncommonPosts: 17

So this game is dead allready ?

Not at all, the Community is increasing in numbers dramatically.. Almost 10k on discord 
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    What comes next? Well I'm so glad you've asked!

1.) Failed promises.
    2.) Reduction of planned features and scope of the game.
    3.) Squandering of funds.
    4.) A pushed back alpha/beta - into 2019 for some undetermined amount of time.
    5.) Fewer and fewer updates to Kickstarter as 'production goes into high gear'.
    6.) People who have invested defend the game, despite obvious shady practices and lack of updates.
    7.) Game ceases production behind the curtain.
    8.) People only find out game has stopped production a year down the line.
    9.) People who have invested bitch and threaten lawsuits.
    10.) People who threaten lawsuits will never do it.
    11.) A new Kickstarter MMO comes into play and the system repeats itself anew.
    I like to complain about games.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Torval said:

Yanocchi said:

It's such a pity that developers of fantasy MMORPGs are giving legendary-looking cosmetic items as rewards for real money crowdfunding. In AoE they will give a glowing horse mount and some other glowy things to the Kickstarter backers. It detracts a great deal from immersion in fantasy games. Glowy things are supposed to be very unusual in the fantasy genre, like the Sting sword in Lord of the Rings. Instead, they are highly trivialised with the approach adopted in free-to-play microtransaction model. When you see glowy stuff in a fantasy MMORPG these days, you know the source is usually a real money purchase instead of some in-game storyline or adventure.

The node system reminds me of a suggestion I made to some developers many years ago, that the whole community can level up a region in a game by contributing to the actions performed in that region. It's nice to see a developer finally implementing such a vision.

Who made that rule? In a low magic setting maybe. LotR is an extremely low magic environment. Sting is special there. In some most AD&D campaigns String is just another +1 short sword of orc and goblin slaying that glows when enemies are nearby.

Also this idea that my character must always start out as a lice ridden pauper in burlap needs to die in a fire.

In my D&D campaign my players could choose a background and I'd tailor the story to them.

However, if they said, I'm the king of "x" I'd make it so they were something like a deposed king, limited resources, that sort of thing.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Torval said:

Also this idea that my character must always start out as a lice ridden pauper in burlap needs to die in a fire.

Ah yes. Starting out as the king in my castle where I just sit around and have minstrels come tell me about their adventures would really open-up more gaming opportunities. Why play it myself when I can just sit back, relax and watch it? I think I'll call my kingdom Twitch :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Torval said:

Iselin said:

Torval said:

Ah yes. Starting out as the king in my castle where I just sit around and have minstrels come tell me about their adventures would really open-up more gaming opportunities. Why play it myself when I can just sit back, relax and watch it? I think I'll call my kingdom Twitch :)

Okay, in your imaginary world kings and queens can't have adventures. In mine they can. I've read lots of books where the kings and queens are the main character of the story. And also, "not a pauper" doesn't imply "must be a king", let alone "must be lazy slackard of a king". Free your mind and your ass will follow.

I like my kind of king better than your kind... did I forget to mention my kingdom only has female minstrels?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Torval said:

Shadowven said:

Well To those who want more information and want to stay active with the AoC community and Dev's.

Join the discord channel =D: https://discord.gg/AshesOfCreation

Want to join the AoC Community: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/

And the true purpose comes out.  His referral link which is against the site rules and gives him 15% of anything you spend.  

Don't be a douche. Having referral links isn't against the rules here, or isn't enforced. People have referral links for Trino, EA, etc in their sigs. Don't try to be a forum cop with your personal agenda.

actually, it is

Referral Links
    MMORPG.com does not support its members posting links for which they are entitled to reward. This constitutes advertising on the forums. If you wish to purchase advertising with us, please contact [email protected].

Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/disclaimers.cfm#65U6zB3h3j4rTJFy.99

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466

Ridrith said:

1.) Failed promises.

6.) People who have invested defend the game, despite obvious shady practices and lack of updates.

sad but nailed it.

Shroud of the Avatar just snuck in another push in their fine print extending their "pre-alpha" label to late 2017 which is hysterical because they have done this every year since they were supposed to launch back in 2014.  Not to mention that the game is already live, persistent, and slinging micro-transactions like campaign promises.  SotA is clearly a cash grab now, but they're not the first crowdfunded game to market themselves this way and it makes me wonder about the future for startups like Intrepid Studios.  I hope Ashes of Creation gets a fair shake, they have some fresh ideas and what they're already showing us looks pretty good.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    "creators of EQ2" actually is a deterrent to me....I wasnt much impressed with it and it got worse as time went on
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Ridrith said:

1.) Failed promises.

This thread is about Ashes, star citizen forum/threads are that way ☛
    MaxBacon

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    edited May 2017
    Nyctelios said:

Hedeon said:

Now the fun starts!

Should be good for the next 3-4 years...

yea I have a very hard time to believe this one will be delievered in 1.5 year as well, personally I expect that release 2018 December, ...

Well, that's the alpha test, not the complete game as far as I know.

That doesn't make any sense though. Their lowest tier package, explorer, delivers 1 month of game time along with chat emojis and character customization option lists a estimated delivery date of Dec 2018. That does not include alpha, or beta access, so you can only assume thats the currently planned release date.

Which of course is silly, there is no way this game will release in 2018. 5 years from now, 2022, is a better estimate.

And yes I know, its just a estimate. But its a terrible one, and greatly misleading.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984

Talmien said:

Nyctelios said:

Hedeon said:

Now the fun starts!

yea I have a very hard time to believe this one will be delievered in 1.5 year as well, personally I expect that release 2018 December, ...

That doesn't make any sense though. Their lowest tier package, explorer, delivers 1 month of game time along with chat emojis and character customization option lists a estimated delivery date of Dec 2018. That does not include alpha, or beta access, so you can only assume thats the currently planned release date.

Which of course is silly, there is no way this game will release in 2018. 5 years from now, 2022, is a better estimate.

And yes I know, its just a estimate. But its a terrible one, and greatly misleading.

Which is why we ask those annoying question asking for more details.   Some people just accept what the great Wizard of Oz tells them. Others look behind the curtain.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Thane said:

Torval said:

Shadowven said:

Well To those who want more information and want to stay active with the AoC community and Dev's.

Join the discord channel =D: https://discord.gg/AshesOfCreation

Want to join the AoC Community: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/

And the true purpose comes out.  His referral link which is against the site rules and gives him 15% of anything you spend.  

Don't be a douche. Having referral links isn't against the rules here, or isn't enforced. People have referral links for Trino, EA, etc in their sigs. Don't try to be a forum cop with your personal agenda.

actually, it is

Referral Links

MMORPG.com does not support its members posting links for which they are entitled to reward. This constitutes advertising on the forums. If you wish to purchase advertising with us, please contact [email protected].

Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/disclaimers.cfm#65U6zB3h3j4rTJFy.99

They never do squat about TOR's friends program which is exactly that.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TazdragoTazdrago Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Lol another day another KickStarter..
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Whats next? Uber hype from this site for the next 5 years. This game is the next crowfall/chronicles of elyria wrapped into one game!

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.

Torval said:

Talmien said:

Nyctelios said:

Hedeon said:

Now the fun starts!

Which is why we ask those annoying question asking for more details.   Some people just accept what the great Wizard of Oz tells them. Others look behind the curtain.

So in that story what did exposing Oz accomplish. Did it actually change their dilemma? What did it accomplish?

You're misusing the lesson behind exposing Oz. It's misused as a simpleton's metaphor for "don't believe everything you hear". Well, no shit. That's not imparting any more special wisdom than the wolf in sheep's clothing parable does. Hey, not everyone you meet has your best interest at heart no matter how much they the benevolent skeptic card.

The lesson behind exposing Oz is that there are no easy answers. The fact that he was a charlatan was just a device to convey drive the message home. There is no magician who can wave his magic wand and give you the courage, heart, and wisdom to face life's trials. You need to find and develop those within yourself. If it was that easy Glenda could have fixed it from the get go.

So what does that have to do with this or any of the indie projects?

L.O.L.

Should be self evident for someone beyond simpleton metaphors. Sometimes the best lessons are learned when you figure it out yourself. Good luck !

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    edited May 2017
    Hopefully, with a subscription based pay model we won't even have to think about a "store" with shitty incentives for sale for real money. Everything should be available ingame with a little (or a lot) of effort.

You younger MMO players may not understand or agree with this concept, but it actually works.
    Post edited by Rhime on
  • MightyPitMightyPit Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Actually, this very column brought me to the Kickstarter Project and i backed it. Thanks for that.
    After I read the KS description, I have the urgent feel that 750k is way too low for a budget of a MMO with PvE content. While it is not named a pve game, the hints "story" and "questing" are enough for me to assume that there is at least some pve content.
    But I must admit that the stretch goals are wisely chosen. Naval content and the underrealm are things I am really looking forward to. I Hope the underrealm will be reached by the end of the campaign. The flow of backers has been ebbed a little since the funding goal was achieved.

MMO's played so far:
    UO,EQ,DAOC,EQ2,GW,ROM,WOW,WAR,AOC,LOTRO,RIFT,TSW,GW2,POE
    Looking forward to: Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Any excess funds raised after the final stretch goals are reached should be used to speed up development, imho. 

TimEisen said:

Talmien said:

Nyctelios said:

Hedeon said:

Now the fun starts!

Loki spoke truth. 

I've actually had this stuck in my head for a day... Thanks Tim!

Maybe someday Ill drop the Mortal Online blurb and make this my signature 
    [Deleted User]

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

MightyPit said:

Actually, this very column brought me to the Kickstarter Project and i backed it. Thanks for that.

After I read the KS description, I have the urgent feel that 750k is way too low for a budget of a MMO with PvE content. While it is not named a pve game, the hints "story" and "questing" are enough for me to assume that there is at least some pve content.

But I must admit that the stretch goals are wisely chosen. Naval content and the underrealm are things I am really looking forward to. I Hope the underrealm will be reached by the end of the campaign. The flow of backers has been ebbed a little since the funding goal was achieved.

Scary, you backed this game knowing so little about it.

Here, I'll help you out. Total projected budget for the "core game" is $30M.

All covered by private investors, or so the story goes.

Feeling used at all yet?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited May 2017
    time007 said:

Whats next? Uber hype from this site for the next 5 years. This game is the next crowfall/chronicles of elyria wrapped into one game!

The usual underestimation of what one MMO takes to create. On the AoC case, they still need a properly scaled development team, so that is coming next.

It will be the same struggle, the same delays, I just don't get how can people expect some triple-A MMO out of a team of 14 people, this needs to be adjusted to reality on the money, on the size of the development team and on the time it will take to create.
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

MaxBacon said:

time007 said:

The usual underestimation of what one MMO takes to create. On the AoC case, they still need a properly scaled development team, so that is coming next.

It will be the same struggle, the same delays, I just don't get how can people expect some triple-A MMO out of a team of 14 people, this needs to be adjusted to reality on the money, on the size of the development team and on the time it will take to create.

I had to laugh, one of the biggest cig/sc white knights out there, talking about adjusting to reality......

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766

Excession said:

I had to laugh, one of the biggest cig/sc white knights out there, talking about adjusting to reality......

Keep your bait and keep fishing.

In proper means, SC went through the same thing and had to scale their own reality to fit the scale and ambition of the project, just like AoC will have to do.
  • kain89kain89 Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited May 2017
    Register for Ashes of Creation here: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • TilenMTilenM Member UncommonPosts: 14
    They are crushing it everywhere ... Wherever and whenever you go in a world of mmorpgs, you are sure to see them.