Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should voicechat be required?

Comments

• dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    There are really only two reason for voice chat.  Reason one: for people who type slowly or are illiterate. Reason two: to verify that the player who appears to be an in-game female is not a guy in real life.

This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

dougha1 said:

There are really only two reason for voice chat.  Reason one: for people who type slowly or are illiterate. Reason two: to verify that the player who appears to be an in-game female is not a guy in real life.

ROFLMAO, in Everquest 2 I played, on occasions, Ratonga, white Ratonga. First a monk and then a shadowknight. Would it surprise you greatly that in real life I am in fact not a white rat? Is that really a reason to require voice chat? I have also been in guilds that had (shock, horror!!#) actual transgender people. What is your major malfunction? Why is the gender of the player versus the gender of the character even the slightest bit of interest to you?
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Oh, and there are voice changers.  Just because you hear a female voice doesn't mean there isn't a guy there.

centkin said:

Oh, and there are voice changers.  Just because you hear a female voice doesn't mean there isn't a guy there.

???#! ..... and you care why?
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I won't accept people into guilds I run until I hear their voice in voice chat. Three big reasons for that:

1. It's essential for PvP.
    2. I do not want to have to stop doing what I'm doing to type crap out.
    3. In a guild that primarily uses voicechat, guild chat tends to get ignored sometime.
    Hatefull[Deleted User]mmolouTemp0
  • BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    The awkward moment who you play MMOs mostly solo... 
    BruceYee
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Are you playing with other people?? Really part of the 'multi' when it comes to M...MORPG?

The poll if for people who are playing games that are hardcore as in, play them 20+ hours a week.

Only 2 options... you are either closer to Yes or closer to No. Pick one!

HAhahahah you're funny.

Dont you know? People are playing MMO in solo.  Forget the good old times where you had to find a group to play...

• HalibrandHalibrand Member UncommonPosts: 136
    It's a video game, not an audio game.  If you want to talk on the phone, go talk on the phone.

Eldurian said:

I won't accept people into guilds I run until I hear their voice in voice chat. Three big reasons for that:

3. In a guild that primarily uses voicechat, guild chat tends to get ignored sometime.

I lack a button to press.
    Eminently sensible reasons. I mildly disagree with 2&3 and PvP doesn't concern me. But nonetheless, eminently sensible.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    I hate games, especially on PvP where I want to talk with the person in front of me and instead have to stop all I am doing to write on the chat, in full caps, hoping he reads whatever.

Usually, I die first. I prefer proximity voice-chat to scream in some sort of angry Russian mode and that would scare him away :)
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736

Eldurian said:

I lack a button to press.
    Eminently sensible reasons. I mildly disagree with 2&3 and PvP doesn't concern me. But nonetheless, eminently sensible.

The question was a bit ambiguous as to context. So I'm answering purely from the perspective of a guild I would run or want to join.

My answers are more applicable to me than the gaming community as a whole.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Voice chat should always be optional.  There are too many instances where having it required is a bad idea, as mentioned above already.
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152

dougha1 said:

ROFLMAO, in Everquest 2 I played, on occasions, Ratonga, white Ratonga. First a monk and then a shadowknight. Would it surprise you greatly that in real life I am in fact not a white rat? Is that really a reason to require voice chat? I have also been in guilds that had (shock, horror!!#) actual transgender people. What is your major malfunction? Why is the gender of the player versus the gender of the character even the slightest bit of interest to you?
    Cybering happens.  That's all I'm gonna say. :p
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Required Voice Chat = 

Nothing more to say.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Required = NOPE

Too many hilljacks, young kids and drunks on comms to make it a requirement.  
    waynejr2
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Talonsin said:
    Required = NOPE

Too many hilljacks, young kids and drunks on comms to make it a requirement.  

I agree.  Don't want to be forced into it. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I game in a room where there is often another person trying to read.  I would say hell no if they wanted to yak on the phone near me, so there's no way I could be so rude as to yak on a mic near them.  And if someone in the house is sleeping, it's even worse to wake them up with talking.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Well if you're in an MMO and your group is doing a raid.  Voice chat would be very helpful and some groups require it. So yes in certain cases.
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Robokapp said:
    how else can you coordinate in raids?
    Planning effectively beforehand and learning to communicate with the written word.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited November 2017
    Myrdynn said:
    good for raids and such, but I have seen guild that require you to be on voice if you are online, F That

I agree and I hate when guilds *require* this. I don't mind coming in for pvp or specific pve activities, but why should I be in there all the time?

My favorite guild in ESO is very active in text chat. I love it. They have discord and people are always doing stuff together, and you can just jump in there if you want to talk with voice or for an activity. That's how it should be.

I don't understand at all why it would a requirement. That takes all the fun out of it for me.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited November 2017
    Eldurian said:

I understand and respect this. 

Guilds should just make it clear that there is such a requirement when they are recruiting in /global, etc. 

I've joined guilds that sounded cool in global with the intention to join voice chat for specific activities only to find out that you are expected to be in there all the time. I find it awkward when they type in "Welcome to the guild! Why don't you jump into voice chat?" 

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,165
    Zero interest ever in voice chat in a MMO...Wayyyy too many bad experiences
    I don't mind listening to command, but def am not interested listening to people talk over each other and fight, burp and fart when you are trying to accomplish something.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Third party programs already provide enough functionality for voice chat requirements, games themselves don't tend to handle voice chat well at all. There is a requirement for games to have text chat though, games that don't have it are a bit sub standard.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Required? No. Included as an option, sure, although third party apps already provide more than enough options for this.

I want voice comms on my terms, not because some developer thinks I have to have it. If I choose to use comms to talk to my friends or guild that's fine but I have no desire to be forced to listen to every player I come across bitch and moan about every little thing. Half the time it would devolve into "noob" or "L2P" comments. No thanks.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If there were a way to make money off of it I'm sure the companies would push it.  As a requirement I would say no, but I've had some good times on voice and it comes in handy fighting public bosses in general.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file