Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's a Huge Day for Big Picture Games as Launch Achieved! - Darkfall: Rise of Agon News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageIt's a Huge Day for Big Picture Games as Launch Achieved! - Darkfall: Rise of Agon News

This is a huge day for Darkfall: Rise of Agon and Big Picture Studios with the grand opening of the game. The team has partnered with Origin PC to give away a CHRONOS gaming desktop valued at $2,400 along with other, smaller prizes.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    I can never remember....is this the new DF with all the improvements and grind reduction? Or the vanilla remake?

Tell you what, if I still have to constantly spam mana/health/stam transfers like in the old DF, I'm not even gonna consider it....
  • GreeferGreefer Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited May 2017
    Both are reducing the grind .. This flavor drastically sped up travel with like 70 portals around agon so that you can hop through and loop your way around ..

That being said .. both versions will have the stat spam spells im sure so .. well you might not enjoy that.

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    This is how I keep them straight:

Darkfall: Rise of Agon --> Darkfall Rise Again --> Vanilla remake

Darkfall: New Dawn --> NEW --> Darkfall Updated
    --------------------------------------------
  • mmoluvammoluva Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Darkfall is PVE

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I just bought a brand new really nice computer so is there another reason i should play this game?
    Seeing the video,it still suffers from the same old problems,it has a near dead atmosphere,from empty forts to sparse interaction and just a severe lack of npc's and then we get into depth.

As well an even bigger problem....Since this game had rampant cheating and it is predominantly a pvp game,i would not touch it with a ten foot pole unless i knew for fact the devs could thwart cheating.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HivesHives Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Might as well play DAOC it looks the same and more polished.
  • AoernAoern Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited May 2017
    They have anti cheat software now. It has the potential to be a great game now that it has BPG behind it. http://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/ [mod edit]  Give it a chance its less then 10 bucks to try for a month and if you like it you can use tokens instead and save your 10 bucks.
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • LexDominoLexDomino Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I'm honestly amazed that Darkfail is still around but CoH is dead.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Lol, apparently they had to disable all the mobs to keep server from crashing.

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Oh... It costs.. Money... Well.. I guess it's the right thing for this type of game, i hope they succeed

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Is it true that Darkfall: Rise of Agon is NA and new dawn is EU ?
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited May 2017
    Played DF from launch till DFUW. It was a fresh experience back then, despite all its flaws (flaws that were mainly attributable to the narrow-mindedness of the developers who were wearing the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses).

I don't know how this plays, but I can say from experience that, for me at least, full-loot FFA PvP without any sort of rationale behind it is not my cup of tea.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I am curious about the number of people they can get to play this game. I have always had the impression that this game and even its previous incarnations barely ekes out an existence.
    Chamber of Chains
  • JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Absolutely amazed this game is still around and YET it lives again. This to me personally is one of the most fascinating ups and downs of any mmorpg I have followed. I remember following the original development cycle for what seemed like at least 10 years? ( Might not of been that long. But it felt like it)

Well best wishes to them I hope it succeeds.
  • BeJustjeffBeJustjeff Member CommonPosts: 4
    They have had to shut down the servers like 4 times today to upgrade. The numbers exceeded even their most optimistic expectations. It is insane. There was like 500+ people in a single goblin spawn.

I can't wait for the first month to end so the population drops to a more reasonable level.
  • SeronysSeronys Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Best MMORPG ever created returns. LETTTS GOOOOO.
  • zarawerzarawer Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Paid the fee, haven't been able to play yet :(
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited May 2017

Greefer said:

Both are reducing the grind .. This flavor drastically sped up travel with like 70 portals around agon so that you can hop through and loop your way around ..

That being said .. both versions will have the stat spam spells im sure so .. well you might not enjoy that.

[mod edit]

Gotta say, the increased portals thing is a Very Good Thing for this game. With a world as huge as Agon, with such a small playerbase spread out, it always irked me that there weren't more teleports and ways to get around in the original AV version.

Coming from Lineage 2, where if any action sprung up, or a Clan-mate was being ganked and needed assistance, etc.. you could get to them within 5-10 minutes; this enabled, and encouraged a kind of 'Team Pride' within Clans - you didn't mess with their members, or they'd all show up to deal with you... because they could, no matter where they were at the time. There was always a Gatekeeper within running distance, and a Town Warp Scroll in their inventories.

I'd log in on my Bladedancer and be told "Get to FG (Forbidden Gateway). PvP happening". Or "get to Cabrio" (world raid boss), etc. In any of those cases, and others, I could get to them within a few minutes. In a game where direct player-to-player interaction/competition is so core, it's important to be able to travel long distances relatively quickly, to get where the action is.

Yet, I can't recall how many videos I'd seen on YT of a "raid on such and such Guild" that started with a condensed version of a 30 minute ride across large, open and empty landscapes. Or of hearing of something happening in my Guild, but not being able to get there before it was over 'cause I was on the other side of the map and wouldn't have gotten there in time. I think they eventually added a means of teleporting around, but it required some kind of consumable item that wasn't easy to get (again as I recall; it's been a while since I played vanilla DF). I always thought "Why do they make getting around such a huge map such a slow and lumbering process? PvP can flare up at any moment, people should be able to get to it ASAP"

Anyway... point is, being able to teleport around more easily and quickly, to get where the action is, is a huge improvement right from the word go.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Wizardry said:

I just bought a brand new really nice computer so is there another reason i should play this game?

Seeing the video,it still suffers from the same old problems,it has a near dead atmosphere,from empty forts to sparse interaction and just a severe lack of npc's and then we get into depth.

As well an even bigger problem....Since this game had rampant cheating and it is predominantly a pvp game,i would not touch it with a ten foot pole unless i knew for fact the devs could thwart cheating.

The game appears dead, not only because of the way it was designed, but also because it's been launched three different times now, and will definitely fail for the 3rd time. It'd dated in every way possible and most people have forgotten about it, for good reason.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Seronys said:

Best MMORPG ever created returns. LETTTS GOOOOO.

You and about 999 people in the world feel this way. Can't say that it's a great endorsement.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987

Greefer said:

[mod edit]

Gotta say, the increased portals thing is a Very Good Thing for this game. With a world as huge as Agon, with such a small playerbase spread out, it always irked me that there weren't more teleports and ways to get around in the original AV version.

Coming from Lineage 2, where if any action sprung up, or a Clan-mate was being ganked and needed assistance, etc.. you could get to them within 5-10 minutes; this enabled, and encouraged a kind of 'Team Pride' within Clans - you didn't mess with their members, or they'd all show up to deal with you... because they could, no matter where they were at the time. There was always a Gatekeeper within running distance, and a Town Warp Scroll in their inventories.

I'd log in on my Bladedancer and be told "Get to FG (Forbidden Gateway). PvP happening". Or "get to Cabrio" (world raid boss), etc. In any of those cases, and others, I could get to them within a few minutes. In a game where direct player-to-player interaction/competition is so core, it's important to be able to travel long distances relatively quickly, to get where the action is.

Yet, I can't recall how many videos I'd seen on YT of a "raid on such and such Guild" that started with a condensed version of a 30 minute ride across large, open and empty landscapes. Or of hearing of something happening in my Guild, but not being able to get there before it was over 'cause I was on the other side of the map and wouldn't have gotten there in time. I think they eventually added a means of teleporting around, but it required some kind of consumable item that wasn't easy to get (again as I recall; it's been a while since I played vanilla DF). I always thought "Why do they make getting around such a huge map such a slow and lumbering process? PvP can flare up at any moment, people should be able to get to it ASAP"

Anyway... point is, being able to teleport around more easily and quickly, to get where the action is, is a huge improvement right from the word go.

I have to disagree.   The inability to port all over the world made the world feel large.  It also added strategy and tactics around preparation for assaulting a PC.   If someone is going to come and try to knockdown my walls and take my stuff I want to be able to scout who is coming.  It also encouraged some regional politics.

Otherwise why have the open world at all?  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I have fond memories of Darkfall, and I wish them luck.  Won't be getting back in, because it was of a time and I've moved on, but nothing but love for it.

I self identify as a monkey.

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    darkfall best pvp game.. 

cu in agon!

• HytekHytek Member UncommonPosts: 153
    I played both original DF and Unholy Wars. Both suffering from a lot of the same issues. Playing the same old DF again with most of the same flaws makes no sense to me. As this is mostly the same as vanilla DF I will skip it and wait for New Dawn instead. At least the New Dawn devs are actually addressing a lot of the big flaws that the original games had. It's unfortunate that RoA made it first to market as that fact may result in fewer people being interested in New Dawn :(

I have found in my lifetime, that the beauty of hating stupid people is, that it crosses all racial boundaries.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    They are giving away a computer and gametime for launch day.
    https://www.originpc.com/promotion/2017/darkfall-giveaway/