Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE plans to allow RMT(gold sellers) during the live game

Comments

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    *ducks* dodged this bullet.
  • OrdanskaOrdanska Member CommonPosts: 16
    No but a screenshot of them advertising and you can kill them.
    It wont get rid of the vote but every little helps.

If the companies have to keep paying for souls whilst it won't stop them it might discourage them.
  • RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    CoE will most likely be the largest seller of in game gold.  It's much easier for them to "generate" the in game coin to sell verses a person having to do something to "earn" it.  Just saying...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Ratero said:

CoE will most likely be the largest seller of in game gold.  It's much easier for them to "generate" the in game coin to sell verses a person having to do something to "earn" it.  Just saying...

hmmmm, I think that's a little tinfoil hat don't you think? I mean, all it would take is one disgruntled employee to call them out and "oh what a scandal".

Unless you are actually saying that they announced they would be one of the companies selling gold.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Sovrath said:

Ratero said:

hmmmm, I think that's a little tinfoil hat don't you think? I mean, all it would take is one disgruntled employee to call them out and "oh what a scandal".

Unless you are actually saying that they announced they would be one of the companies selling gold.

There are all kinds of companies already doing it via the usual 2-step process: they sell you something for cash that you can then sell to others in the game for gold.

Even if this company doesn't do that, it's not all that far-fetched to think that it might occur to them to just do it in one step and sell you gold directly. After they check with their lawyer, of course :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Iselin said:

Sovrath said:

Ratero said:

There are all kinds of companies already doing it via the usual 2-step process: they sell you something for cash that you can then sell to others in the game for gold.

Even if this company doesn't do that, it's not all that far-fetched to think that it might occur to them to just do it in one step and sell you gold directly. After they check with their lawyer, of course :)

That's true, some do that. I was thinking more along the lines of them creating "some other" company seemingly not affiliated and selling like a standard gold seller. But you are right, companies do that. I think Tera does that. And of course Black Desert.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Sovrath said:

Iselin said:

Sovrath said:

Ratero said:

That's true, some do that. I was thinking more along the lines of them creating "some other" company seemingly not affiliated and selling like a standard gold seller. But you are right, companies do that. I think Tera does that. And of course Black Desert.

Yeah BDO's system is especially close to being just one step because the company also controls the AH prices very tightly. People that want to buy gold can figure out almost exactly how much gold their cash shop purchase will get them.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

Iselin said:

Sovrath said:

Ratero said:

So in CoE's case, all they would have to do is allow Sparks of Life (their version of arcade tokens for the game) to be tradeable between players, and CoE is essentially in the gold selling business. 

So yeah, not really far fetched at all. Have they said whether Sparks of Life will be tradeable or not?
    --------------------------------------------

Torval said:

Iselin said:

Sovrath said:

Ratero said:

EVE and Albion essentially do that and it seems to work. In EVE don't some people like to farm ISK and use it to buy PLEX and others like to buy PLEX and get ISK or play the market?

I think the way they're addressing it sounds more controversial than it is in practice. I would almost rather they take the approach of EVE, Albion, and the like rather than let third party rmt reign.

Except, as I read what was posted, what CoE is talking about is something that, to my knowledge no game allows: selling in game items to other players for cash.

Caspian - Today at 9:30 PM When it comes to selling in-game items in a real-world market we effectively have two choices. We can spend countless hours and resources on trying to stop and track people making money off their in-game items, or we can accept that their time has value to them. If people have a lot of time, but little money, want to use that as a way to create in-game items which they then sell to other players who have disposable income but less free-time, we view that as a win-win.

This is quite different from trading currencies back and forth that have no real world value and only have value in the game.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2017

Iselin said:

Torval said:

Except, as I read what was posted, what CoE is talking about is something that, to my knowledge no game allows: selling in game items to other players for cash.

Caspian - Today at 9:30 PM When it comes to selling in-game items in a real-world market we effectively have two choices. We can spend countless hours and resources on trying to stop and track people making money off their in-game items, or we can accept that their time has value to them. If people have a lot of time, but little money, want to use that as a way to create in-game items which they then sell to other players who have disposable income but less free-time, we view that as a win-win.

This is quite different from trading currencies back and forth that have no real world value and only have value in the game.

It's essentially like what Diablo 3 did, allowing players to sell their loot for real currency, without taking from the top as you allow them to do it privately. 

AT worst you get a Pay to win system, yet no items are being made specifically for that, you have what everyone else has. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:

Iselin said:

Torval said:

Iselin said:

Sovrath said:

Ratero said:

EVE and Albion essentially do that and it seems to work. In EVE don't some people like to farm ISK and use it to buy PLEX and others like to buy PLEX and get ISK or play the market?

I think the way they're addressing it sounds more controversial than it is in practice. I would almost rather they take the approach of EVE, Albion, and the like rather than let third party rmt reign.

It's essentially like what Diablo 3 did, allowing players to sell their loot for real currency, without taking from the top as you allow them to do it privately. 

Good point. I forgot about their experiment. Glad that's over and we can all have legendaries now :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Distopia said:

Iselin said:

Torval said:

AT worst you get a Pay to win system, yet no items are being made specifically for that, you have what everyone else has. 

If you are going to repost the OP, you probably should include the rebuttal to get the full context

Caspian: Hey Folks,
    Let me go ahead and put
    this topic to bed. The forum post on MMORPG was a copy/paste from a
    forum post here on our forums from back in December (6 months ago). It
    was cleverly posted to look like a recent discussion when in fact it was
    not.
    As to the original post here on our forums, that was a quote
    from a conversation happening in Discord that was taken out of context,
    and probably shouldn't have been posted to the forums in the first place
    - at least not without more context.
    That said, I think the
    community members that have responded to this thread have done a
    fantastic job putting the the thread into the original context, which is
    this:
    Gold/Item sellers exist because they can. You can address the problem one of two ways:
    1)
    Accept that the design of your game allows/encourages gold farmers, and
    then spend countless resources trying to track them down and enforce a
    ToS.
    or
    2) Address the problem of gold farming via the design and mechanics of your game.
    The problem with #1
    is that for a game to encourage item/gold farming it must both provide
    an opportunity cost for choosing to achieve your goals the "right" way,
    vs. purchasing through third party sellers, and it must prevent the
    in-game players from dealing with gold farmers.
    Our goal has always
    been to address the problem of gold/item selling by by giving players a
    way to deal with gold-sellers in-game, and by structuring the economy
    and system of progression such that gold-farming in its usual sense
    holds little value in CoE.
    If you're not convinced, think about the
    activities most gold-farmers would perform in order to "farm gold" and
    ask yourself whether those activities make any sense in this game.
    At the point where farming becomes the
    Read
    more at
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/463829/coe-plans-to-allow-rmt-gold-sellers-during-the-live-game/p5#jxEU24HEidtSDwKS.99

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Torval said:

Iselin said:

Sovrath said:

Ratero said:

Yes, that is exactly the way it works though all PLEX originally have to be purchased from CCP (or an affiliate vendor) and can only be resold for in game ISK.

You can also purchase skill extractors and use them yourself or sell them in game for ISK, but not cash.

EVE does make it work somehow, these sales and ISK transfers don't seem to imbalance the game, however they do work hard to identify outside agencies that sell ISK for cash and remove both them and the ISK from the game.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Distopia said:

If you are going to repost the OP, you probably should include the rebuttal to get the full context

I'm not exactly sure what to make of what you're saying with that? Hence I can't really respond... 

Kyleran said:

EVE does make it work somehow, these sales and ISK transfers don't seem to imbalance the game, 

Probably because the very notion and stigma of such practices are drastically overblown. Especially in regard to the typical individual player's impact on everyone else. It's not like they can buy anything no one else has, hence you can't really attribute it to real P2W systems like archlord used. When they aren't selling any special "I win" items any impact of RMT is going to be minimal. The only reason most notice is due to the spam and bots. 

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited May 2017
    I don't care if games have RMT personally, although I hope they ban people who "Cheat" "Bot" "Hack" or obtain goods or currency / items or assets by illegal means such as bots...

Diablo 3 had RMT for awhile I didn't mind it, but I mind those who have to cheat and ruin the games for other peoples.

Although COE as a game I don't expect to make it very far not because of RMT issues but because of the bad things I am hearing about the game excluding RMT.

RMT, IMO, should be 100% Legal in every game assuming its obtained by "Real Players" and not done by illegal means, but currently there are no United States laws protecting Digital Currency including Bit Coin, or in Game Goods which IMO there should be.
  • cantankerousmagecantankerousmage Member UncommonPosts: 992
    Thank you all for convincing me not to play this game (if it ever gets released).  Too bad, it has some good ideas that I want to see more of in MMORPGs.  Okay though, it still wasn't my ideal.

Ordanska said:
    *edit*
    And I didn't say I made rant post I got silly when people made accusations and comments like some of you have here.
    What I find hard is that someone can get banned defending themselves to trolls but the trolls dont....

Welcome to MMORPG.com. Just remember to avoid the orange and purple names with fragile egos that use the 'flag' feature as a weapon.

Not a weapon, rather a keenly wielded scalpel. ;)

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Torval said:

Kyleran said:

Ordanska said:
    *edit*
    And I didn't say I made rant post I got silly when people made accusations and comments like some of you have here.
    What I find hard is that someone can get banned defending themselves to trolls but the trolls dont....

Welcome to MMORPG.com. Just remember to avoid the orange and purple names with fragile egos that use the 'flag' feature as a weapon.

I just want it noted for the record that my ego has been fragile since my name was green. :chuffed:

And I hit the report button when I think someone is being genuinely hurtful to another person, especially if they're vulnerable. I've never hidden that. Now that moderation has relaxed some that sort of stuff doesn't really go on as much in my opinion.

Little known fact. If you stuff fivers down @Grakulen 's g-string you get a 10% xp bonus to your upvotes. :awesome:

I choose not to report anything other than referral links since the new site went live.  Sure people say stupid things sometimes in threads like this one, but the conversation is the whole point of the site.  If anyone really went over the line I could simply ignore, but I've never had to do that.

Threads like this one can get passionate... but I think that's a good thing.

Now RMT...  will be interesting to see if they change their stance.  It's a long way to release and a lot can happen between now and then.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Kyleran said:

Ordanska said:
    *edit*

Damn I missed his earlier comment. But then, I often do when greens talk.

He's not showing proper respect for orange. We should harness our power and vote him off the island. What do you think?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    It's the fundamental problem of selling in game items for real world cash.  That is the heart of pay to win.  And here is Caspien's direct quote on that:

If people have a lot of time, but little money, want to use that as a way to create in-game items which they then sell to other players who have disposable income but less free-time, we view that as a win-win.

If you allow selling the finite resources this game brags about, for real world money its p2w. When you have whales already putting $40,000 (correct me if that figure is incorrect) into the game... they are likely not even going to think twice about paying $500 to buy the best armor for their troops or paying $1000 to have a leader turncoat and betray his current king.   Those are all great gaming opportunities lost because it's tainted by outside influences.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Torval said:

Kyleran said:

Ordanska said:
    *edit*

I just want it noted for the record that my ego has been fragile since my name was green. :chuffed:

And I hit the report button when I think someone is being genuinely hurtful to another person, especially if they're vulnerable. I've never hidden that. Now that moderation has relaxed some that sort of stuff doesn't really go on as much in my opinion.

Little known fact. If you stuff fivers down @Grakulen 's g-string you get a 10% xp bonus to your upvotes. :awesome:

I got'sta get paid.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Beyond the over the top Buy 2 King crowdfunding and the 3 month no-wipe headstart, it appears that they also plan to allow RMT after launch.  Here is a link to the discussion on their official forums.  If this is out of date or there is a clarification please post it in this thread.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/15050/clarification-on-rmt?page=2#post157123

This is just the next step from Blizzard selling tokens for game time that can then be traded for in game gold. 
    edited May 2017

Grakulen said:

Beyond the over the top Buy 2 King crowdfunding and the 3 month no-wipe headstart, it appears that they also plan to allow RMT after launch.  Here is a link to the discussion on their official forums.  If this is out of date or there is a clarification please post it in this thread.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/15050/clarification-on-rmt?page=2#post157123

This is just the next step from Blizzard selling tokens for game time that can then be traded for in game gold. 

Hey now, CCP/EVE did it first. ;)

Too bad it totally destroyed both games.

Oh wait....it didn't, go figure. B)

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Kyleran said:

Grakulen said:

Hey now, CCP/EVE did it first. ;)

Too bad it totally destroyed both games.

Oh wait....it didn't, go figure. B)

That really depends on ones own ideals.

For many it did.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee