Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE plans to allow RMT(gold sellers) during the live game

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

DMKano said:

What both of you are completely ignoring is that masses today have so many other optons of online entertainment that didnt exist 15 years ago

Now THAT is a valid comment !

Not the rubbish about "we've all grown up now and have jobs and families"...

The tiny population that played the small handful of MMO's back in 2003 is irrelevant today. The online game population has expanded massively, as fast internet access became the norm, and now includes every shade of gamer imaginable.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Ordanska said:
    *edit*
    And I didn't say I made rant post I got silly when people made accusations and comments like some of you have here.
    What I find hard is that someone can get banned defending themselves to trolls but the trolls dont....

Welcome to MMORPG.com. Just remember to avoid the orange and purple names with fragile egos that use the 'flag' feature as a weapon.

• OrdanskaOrdanska Member CommonPosts: 16

Ordanska said:
    *edit*
    And I didn't say I made rant post I got silly when people made accusations and comments like some of you have here.
    What I find hard is that someone can get banned defending themselves to trolls but the trolls dont....

Welcome to MMORPG.com. Just remember to avoid the orange and purple names with fragile egos that use the 'flag' feature as a weapon.

Now that is good advice
    Eldurian
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    I can only speak for myself, but these days, thanks to all the other social media out there, both free or at least insanely cheap or even not insanely cheap if I so desire, when I play a game, it's constantly in the back of my mind, "I could be doing something else now", so it becomes a question of "Is doing what I'm currently doing more fun?"

Games that are grindy eventually boil down to doing the same thing over and over again.  In those cases, even if the game was fun at the start, it won't be as fun as other options after a while.

Hence I can see why player trends would lean towards faster paced less grindy things.  Time that I spend making my character do nothing but run from point A to point B is time I could have spent trying out a new game I never played before where everything is fresh and new.  It might be shallow to always chase after the new honeymoon experience, but keeping yourself in that new honeymoon experience thanks to all the various options you have now is so easy to do that it becomes awfully hard to stick around a game asking me to spend a lot of time doing something I already did (grind) unless that game is really REALLY good.

The days of me willing to grind for a 1 in 1,000 chance of an item drop or a battle that lasts 10 minutes where nothing really appreciately changes throughout the course of that 10 minute battle  are long gone when even an alternative option as simple was watching a youtube video of clips of an anime or game I've never seen before are available (Yes, I'm old enough to come from a time before Youtube existed, so it's easy for me to see the stark contrast of playing MMOs before it and various other social media became a thing and playing MMOs afterwards)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

TimEisen said:

DMKano said:

Iselin said:

DMKano said:

The more you played the more you progressed, and early games like EQ1 were all about extreme time investment, as the pure subscription model was designed to keep people subbed for as long as possible. The primary mechanic was to make everything take a long time to accomplish.

Fast forward 15 years, the playerbase grew up have jobs, families and less free time - but more money.

The entire point of a MMORPG is that it was a long-term, on-going and ever-expanding *hobby*, not a game you finish and walk away from. Yes, it cost money to participate in, but most hobbies do. Saying "they were designed to keep you playing a long time" as though it's a bad thing is missing the point of the genre entirely. If someone steps into a MMORPG and doesn't like how it's designed, that's an indication that they simply aren't a fit for that genre. It's not a problem to be solved. It's simply a matter of "nothing is for everyone".

As for the last statement, "Fast forward 15 years..." this is a fallacious comment that needs to die already. It's always been disingenuous, for a couple reasons, and remains so. It also rings as incredibly ego-centric and short-sighted. "We've grown up, and *we" don't have the time *we* used to have... therefor the games have to be designed for *us*". Only, replace 'we' and 'us' with 'I' and 'we', because that's really what is being said.

It's amazing how many people feel their personal life circumstances, the result of their own life choices, somehow entitles them to special attention and preference, on the level of an entire genre being developed specifically *for them*. I can hardly think of a better example of a self-entitled attitude.

It's also flawed logic because it implies there weren't people playing EQ1, UO, DAoC, AO, etc. etc.. who were grown up, with jobs, families, careers, and less free time even back then. Except there were. Plenty of them.

Yet, despite limited time and *far* longer progression arcs... they managed and had a great time along the way. I'd say people back then probably enjoyed their MMO experiences far more than people do now. Not least of all because, by and large, they spent their time actually *experiencing* the game, not trying to rush through it.

Why is that?

People "back then" weren't so different from people now. The only difference is back then people logged in to enjoy the moment to moment experience, with friends, or strangers. They weren't fretting every moment they logged in on whether they were leveling "optimally enough" or were completing the content "efficiently enough". They were hanging out with others, doing dungeons, questing, going off on random adventures.. and enjoying the experience as it came.

Now? People are so caught up in this idea that "I have to reach end game ASAP!! End game is all that matters!!! I need to get to level cap now, but all this damn content is getting in my way!".

People weren't looking to buy xp-boosters, skill-point boosters, level-jump items and such back then. Because they weren't in a hurry.

It has nothing to do with "people being busy with families and jobs and little time". It has everything to do with people being impatient, wanting their reward *now*, and not wanting to have to spend the time obtaining or earning it.

Great post.

Just a couple of things...

I'm old enough that I never played MMOs until long after university. I have always had a job, children and family obligations while I played my hobby. So the fallacious argument that tries to justify buying accelerated shortcuts on the basis that our time is just too valuable has always rang hollow with me.

As to "People are so caught up in this idea that "I have to reach end game ASAP!! End game is all that matters!!!" that's Kano right there. If you've ever played a new MMO that he also played you'd know this from his posts. That's what he did in Archeage and in BDO. He also takes great pride in hating quests and lore. He could give less of a shit about the world and community since he's 100% focused on leveling faster than you so he can use his gear and level advantage to gank you... it's how he plays. 

What both of you are completely ignoring is that masses today have so many other optons of online entertainment that didnt exist 15 years ago

Online streaming (Netflix, Youtube, Amazon, Twitch)

Social media  - twitter, facebook, instagram etc....

Steam, GoG etc...

Online Console games

F2P online game explosion

Smartphones

Mobile games

Go look at market research on how much less focused and dedicated to a single video game masses are today compared to 10+ years ago

Night and day difference

People will jump on a new trend and will jump ship in several weeks - -the impact of social media and smartphones has been huge.

Dont trust me - go pay eedar to show you their player trends over the years.

This! I greatly miss those days. Add in steam and you have gamers spread out like never before. Back in the day a big game came out and people lived in it for months of not years, not you have to pre-plan and schedule just to get a group on the same game. Apps like discord are great but they make it even easier to play together, apart. 

All true and everything but what does this have to do with justifying RMT and accelerated leveling to end game?

What this is, is an explanation of the waning popularity of the types of games that demand long term commitment... which is pretty obvious to anyone aware of the popularity of MOBAs and shooters in today's gaming environment.

But this does nothing to convince me that MMORPGs need to change to cater to the more fickle 2017 gamer. That would only be the case for someone deluded enough to believe that MMORPGs should be in direct competition with MOBAs for player attraction and retention - they're not.

MMORPGs are once again a niche gaming genre just like they have always been. The anomaly in all this was WOW and all the clones that chased WOW numbers during that bried period of time when MMORPGs were the cool hotness with the mainstream gaming public. THAT, was an aberration. Now we're back to normal.

They're not the sort of games that should have shortcuts, be they RMT shortcuts or not. That's some other genre you're thinking of.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

@Slapshot1188

I see you didn't answer my question...
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

DMKano said:

Iselin said:

DMKano said:

The more you played the more you progressed, and early games like EQ1 were all about extreme time investment, as the pure subscription model was designed to keep people subbed for as long as possible. The primary mechanic was to make everything take a long time to accomplish.

Fast forward 15 years, the playerbase grew up have jobs, families and less free time - but more money.

The entire point of a MMORPG is that it was a long-term, on-going and ever-expanding *hobby*, not a game you finish and walk away from. Yes, it cost money to participate in, but most hobbies do. Saying "they were designed to keep you playing a long time" as though it's a bad thing is missing the point of the genre entirely. If someone steps into a MMORPG and doesn't like how it's designed, that's an indication that they simply aren't a fit for that genre. It's not a problem to be solved. It's simply a matter of "nothing is for everyone".

As for the last statement, "Fast forward 15 years..." this is a fallacious comment that needs to die already. It's always been disingenuous, for a couple reasons, and remains so. It also rings as incredibly ego-centric and short-sighted. "We've grown up, and *we" don't have the time *we* used to have... therefor the games have to be designed for *us*". Only, replace 'we' and 'us' with 'I' and 'we', because that's really what is being said.

It's amazing how many people feel their personal life circumstances, the result of their own life choices, somehow entitles them to special attention and preference, on the level of an entire genre being developed specifically *for them*. I can hardly think of a better example of a self-entitled attitude.

It's also flawed logic because it implies there weren't people playing EQ1, UO, DAoC, AO, etc. etc.. who were grown up, with jobs, families, careers, and less free time even back then. Except there were. Plenty of them.

Yet, despite limited time and *far* longer progression arcs... they managed and had a great time along the way. I'd say people back then probably enjoyed their MMO experiences far more than people do now. Not least of all because, by and large, they spent their time actually *experiencing* the game, not trying to rush through it.

Why is that?

People "back then" weren't so different from people now. The only difference is back then people logged in to enjoy the moment to moment experience, with friends, or strangers. They weren't fretting every moment they logged in on whether they were leveling "optimally enough" or were completing the content "efficiently enough". They were hanging out with others, doing dungeons, questing, going off on random adventures.. and enjoying the experience as it came.

Now? People are so caught up in this idea that "I have to reach end game ASAP!! End game is all that matters!!! I need to get to level cap now, but all this damn content is getting in my way!".

People weren't looking to buy xp-boosters, skill-point boosters, level-jump items and such back then. Because they weren't in a hurry.

It has nothing to do with "people being busy with families and jobs and little time". It has everything to do with people being impatient, wanting their reward *now*, and not wanting to have to spend the time obtaining or earning it.

Great post.

Just a couple of things...

I'm old enough that I never played MMOs until long after university. I have always had a job, children and family obligations while I played my hobby. So the fallacious argument that tries to justify buying accelerated shortcuts on the basis that our time is just too valuable has always rang hollow with me.

As to "People are so caught up in this idea that "I have to reach end game ASAP!! End game is all that matters!!!" that's Kano right there. If you've ever played a new MMO that he also played you'd know this from his posts. That's what he did in Archeage and in BDO. He also takes great pride in hating quests and lore. He could give less of a shit about the world and community since he's 100% focused on leveling faster than you so he can use his gear and level advantage to gank you... it's how he plays. 

Online streaming (Netflix, Youtube, Amazon, Twitch)

Social media  - twitter, facebook, instagram etc....

Steam, GoG etc...

Online Console games

F2P online game explosion

Smartphones

Mobile games

Go look at market research on how much less focused and dedicated to a single video game masses are today compared to 10+ years ago

Night and day difference

People will jump on a new trend and will jump ship in several weeks - -the impact of social media and smartphones has been huge.

Dont trust me - go pay eedar to show you their player trends over the years.

If my MMORPG can't compete with those other entertainment options, then it means my MMORPG sucks at what it is supposed to do. You make it seem like 15 years ago, I couldn't go pop in a movie if that's how I wanted to be entertained. I also recall everyone using AIM too, so online connections through other services like MSN and AOL were still very much mainstream. Console games were not as "online" as they are now, but then again, there are MMORPGs on consoles now so that really isn't an argument here either. F2P games were around 15 years ago too. I played some of them and even they had more replayability than those of today. I played Rappelz for a while.

The only real explanation that makes any sense to me is the quality of long term play-ability gaming has gone to shit in favor of fast money by greedy developers.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Ordanska said:

@Slapshot1188

I see you didn't answer my question...

Was there an actual question about COE and RMT plans that I missed?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

No I asked why you follow so in depth if you hate the game so much...

Ordanska said:

No I asked why you follow so in depth if you hate the game so much...

Ok yeah that's what I thought.  Thanks for clarifying.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Ordanska said:

Ordanska said:

@craftseeker

Yes I did because I allowed people to bait me and inthe the tired state I was in at that time (new baby) I responded and some people obviously found my responses insulting.
    That was probably my bad for allowing myself to type when mad.

Now I came back to ask snapshot that one question.
     I'm not bothered about these forums or the people in them, I was intrigued why snapshot is still following a game after a year that he obviously hates.

How can you not understand the draw of following something you hate?

Because my time is important to me, I would rather enjoy life than hunting down dev posts on a game I dispise.

See these little buttons under each post? That's why...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Ordanska said:

I spent 5 mins asking a question he has spent a year....

So i have spent 524,155 minutes less than him...

It's a lot more than five minutes by now, I imagine.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Tiamat64 said:

Ordanska said:

Funny how that happens.  :p

Tiamat64 said:

Ordanska said:

I do attract groupies...  but seriously let's get refocused from the Slapshot fan club to the rmt conversation (if there is more to discuss)

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Tiamat64 said:

Ordanska said:

I do attract groupies...  but seriously let's get refocused from the Slapshot fan club to the rmt conversation (if there is more to discuss)

I don't want RMT in the games I play. I know it's impossible for the game companies to stop it and that's ok (it's reality) but if a game company officially condones it, it's not the game for me.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited May 2017

but seriously let's get refocused to the rmt conversation (if there is more to discuss)

Fixed, such statements will just lead to getting more personal since it's essentially baiting it. 

There's a lot to discuss about the realities of RMT, especially when it comes to how a small timer uses funds in regard to it, the problem is no one wants to discuss that really. It's just dismissed more or less.

Does a dev team with limited resources benefit more from tracking exploits, other cheats, squashing technical issues etc. Or by policing their players every move in and out of game? 

Any single option there is a time consuming as well as costly task. SO what is a better use of resource? WHat is more important to the overall game? Since all of these things are going to be an ongoing fight something has to be prioritized. That's not even accounting for live everyday hotfixes, helping players who are stuck, dealing with lost inventory and other database issues if they pop up. 

I think it's important to look past the hate of RMT to see this picture clearly.

Distopia said:

but seriously let's get refocused to the rmt conversation (if there is more to discuss)

Fixed, such statements will just lead to getting more personal since it's essentially baiting it. 

There's a lot to discuss about the realities of RMT, especially when it comes to how a small timer uses funds in regard to it, the problem is no one wants to discuss that really. It's just dismissed more or less.

Does a dev team with limited resources benefit more from tracking exploits, other cheats, squashing technical issues etc. Or by policing their players every move in and out of game? 

Any single option there is a time consuming as well as costly task. SO what is a better use of resource? WHat is more important to the overall game? Since all of these things are going to be an ongoing fight something has to be prioritized. That's not even accounting for live everyday hotfixes, helping players who are stuck, dealing with lost inventory and other database issues if they pop up. 

I think it's important to look past the hate of RMT to see this picture clearly.

I think it depends on the game.  In a full open world PvP game based around territory contro that lists finite resources as a feature, allowing or endorsing rat for those same precious resources is game breaking.  

If it becomes an issue the devs can always allow kill on sight with no penalties for killing them

Torval said:

Distopia said:

I think it depends on the game.  In a full open world PvP game based around territory contro that lists finite resources as a feature, allowing or endorsing rat for those same precious resources is game breaking.  

EVE seems to do just fine with that. How is it different?

I don't play EvE and I don't see the difference.  

Distopia said:

I think the problem there is most of those on top would be there either way. Because it's always going to be the largest most ruthless guilds. It's quite funny actually because there are frequent stories of the lone whale being steamrolled by the larger more ruthless guild. 

Bad players and lone players are always going to be toppled. As are the small guilds. 

IN such games you kinda have to accept your station, stepping out of it doesn't usually have the best outcome regardless of how much you spend. WIth those big guilds you assimilate or die. 

edited May 2017

Distopia said:

If the dev team's resources are so limited that they can't provide a clean environment in a game that's about competition and fighting over limited resources in a perpetual world, they shouldn't be making such a game in the first place.
    edited May 2017

Tiamat64 said:

If the dev team's resources are so limited that they can't provide a clean environment in a game that's about competition and fighting over limited resources in a perpetual world, they shouldn't be making such a game in the first place.

That's up to the consumer to decide in the end. 

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Tiamat64 said:

There is no such thing as "clean environment" nor there needs to be one - EVE being a proof.

Distopia said:

Tiamat64 said:

That's up to the consumer to decide in the end. 

Well, most people suspect they won't even be able to complete the game in the first place (at least, not with anywhere near the amount of features that they're promising for it at this time), in which case the consumer probably won't get any choice in the matter at all, although my statement fits that viewpoint too, anyways (if in an even more literal fashion).
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Ordanska said:

If it becomes an issue the devs can always allow kill on sight with no penalties for killing them

And there is a code to magically identify RMT to allow a penalty free kill?
    If that's the case then why did he say they don't have the resources to hunt them down?
    Harbinger of Fools