Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation - Ashes Crushed KickStarter. What Next? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Now the fun starts!

Should be good for the next 3-4 years...

yea I have a very hard time to believe this one will be delievered in 1.5 year as well, personally I expect that release 2018 December, to only be there to claim the wait aint going to be that bad, so people will pledge. Only little spark of hope for that date is the fact that their team have several projects behind them, so should have an idea of how long it takes them.

for the game itself, have yet to play a MMO with PvP that Id find fun, the game looks really nice otherwise.

when I saw their node idea, I really thought of the quest system EQ next were promising.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

TimEisen said:

Wizardry said:

A GREAT game idea NEVER needs gamer's money,it is simply a gimmick being used because of so many careless loose spenders to EXPLOIT.

As well paying a writer to write a column on what could have EASILY been summed up in one title comes off as two faced since this site was crying about ad blockers and needing money.If you are that hard up for money better spend it wisely and create some MEANINGFUL articles with content that shows off a game instead of just disguised endorsements.

We just witnessed it with Quake and the true agenda on EVERY article,yet this site had the balls to question OUR accusations.This site NEVER cares about Quake,out of nowhere a thread or two then followed by a giant advertisement,yeah truly amazing how that just happens out of nowhere.

Tim claims he wrote on this because he was watching it?What an INSULT to readers intelligence,does Tim truly believe readers are that dumb?Try a little more honesty,it goes a long way in improving articles even if the agenda is still disguised advertising.

I'm starting to think they pay you to post stuff like this to draw reverse heat. Anyone who really hates this site as much as you claim wouldn't post as much as you! 

I won't give you a LOL like the others, but an AGREE. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

Torval said:

TimEisen said:

Wizardry said:

A GREAT game idea NEVER needs gamer's money,it is simply a gimmick being used because of so many careless loose spenders to EXPLOIT.

As well paying a writer to write a column on what could have EASILY been summed up in one title comes off as two faced since this site was crying about ad blockers and needing money.If you are that hard up for money better spend it wisely and create some MEANINGFUL articles with content that shows off a game instead of just disguised endorsements.

We just witnessed it with Quake and the true agenda on EVERY article,yet this site had the balls to question OUR accusations.This site NEVER cares about Quake,out of nowhere a thread or two then followed by a giant advertisement,yeah truly amazing how that just happens out of nowhere.

Tim claims he wrote on this because he was watching it?What an INSULT to readers intelligence,does Tim truly believe readers are that dumb?Try a little more honesty,it goes a long way in improving articles even if the agenda is still disguised advertising.

I'm starting to think they pay you to post stuff like this to draw reverse heat. Anyone who really hates this site as much as you claim wouldn't post as much as you! 

We are some fucked up people. :p :chuffed:

Yeah, sure. But there is fucked up badly, and fucked up for good. And there is a fine line between the two. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205
    MMO's are an unreliable thing to kickstart for me right now.

After Pathfinder and Shroud of the Avatar. I prefer to wait as they boast big promises, but the delivery is lacking.
  • oujnineoujnine Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited May 2017
    well the game gonna be subscription model that killed the hype for many of us i was planning to buy a pack but the thing is i dont wanna play games based on subscription anymore
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    This game reminds me of how Albion Online already failed as a game and if this game keeps its promises looks great.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 911
    So this game is dead allready ?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited May 2017

TimEisen said:

Im not a fan of the find a friend systems. They turn people scary and end in darkness. 

Do you remember the Asheron's Call XP pyramid? I laughed my ass off when I first started playing AC and was recruited into my first guild. Whoever recruited me got a % of anyy XP I earned, as did whoever recruited him, going all the way up to the guild leader.

After I got used to the system, I sort of liked it.

The Ashes referral system is, IMO, mostly harmless.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

Sovrath said:

Nanfoodle said:

Still watching and yet to see any detail on game play video, combat direction, classes, crafting. We know they have nodes and I will say that part sounds awesome but you could have had  pledge from my wife and I as well. So we sit back and watch. 

Well, they have listed the classes and there is a video with combat against some mobs.

The only issue I see is that I haven't seen anything with "lots of people" around. A group going to a dungeon delve, etc. Or a city with a lot of people.

I want to see as in depth info as they have given us about their node system. Few notes on classes is not what I am looking for. Seeing someone attack a mob is not going into combat. I want to see how a team functions. What dynamic solo and teamed combat will be about. How do you launch a kickstarter without covering that. I want to be sold on this game because as a DAoC fan, I think this node system could be awesome. So I know what we are fighting over, I need to know how we will. I get that info in the next few weeks, they could win my pledge as well. 

TimEisen said:

Im not a fan of the find a friend systems. They turn people scary and end in darkness. 

Gamers tells friends about games all the time. Im sure 50% of the sales of most games are from friends saying. You got to buy this game. Giving a reward for doing so is fine. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

OG_Zorvan said:

Elminzter said:

imo 750k to develop a mmorpg is unrealistic take a look at crowfall and camelot unchained, something does not add up...

New cars and houses for the guys on top, and new keyboards for the peons...er coders. Perhaps 5-10k set aside to buy some assets instead of using only freebies. It adds up perfectly.

Right...Probably like any other charity where 5-10% actually goes to what it is supposed to be for and the other 90% goes for "administrative" costs......
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    More people willing to piss away their hard earned money on air.... it never ceases to amaze me. Hope it turns out better than:
    Yogventures (567k)
    PFO (307k)
    SpaceVenture (539k)
    Castle Story (702K)
    Homestuck Adventure Game (2.4m)
    Star Citizen (142m)
    Godus (526k (pounds))
    PFO#2 (1m)
    Shroud of Avatar (2m)
    StoneHearth (751k)
    H-hour (252k)
    Magatokyo (299k)
    Omni (1.1m)
    7 Days to Die (507k)
    Project Phoenix (1.1m)
    City of Titans (678k)
    Mandate (701k)
    Unsung Story (660k)
    Kingdom Come (1.1m (pounds))
    Planets (310k)
    Shaq-Fu (473k)

So in a by-no-means comprehensive list Kickstarter has wasted the money to the grand total of:
    $157,972,000

Making Kickstarter (the website that just takes and doesn't give): $15,797,200-ish of your hopes and dreams.

Suckers.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

Nanfoodle said:

Still watching and yet to see any detail on game play video, combat direction, classes, crafting. We know they have nodes and I will say that part sounds awesome but you could have had  pledge from my wife and I as well. So we sit back and watch. 

There are 2 videos on Combat. DeathsProxy has a lot of informational videos on Ashes and is close with the developers.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Loads of fun incoming!
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800

danwest58 said:

Nanfoodle said:

There are 2 videos on Combat. DeathsProxy has a lot of informational videos on Ashes and is close with the developers.

Do you think there will be a live demo of combat before Kickstarter ends?
    I mean the videos linked show that they have something more than concept to show off right?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Now maybe they can be a little more specific about their ideas?  The KS was a big heaping pile of vague BS.  No way I was going near that with my money.

danwest58 said:

Nanfoodle said:

Do you think there will be a live demo of combat before Kickstarter ends?
    I mean the videos linked show that they have something more than concept to show off right?

Here is some game play footage from their Pre-Alpha client.    

Question #1 they already had a live demo on twich TV that is the first video.  It was only open to the Discord channel group live.   Then they edited the video after.   Maybe join discord and watch for more up and coming live streams the developers already have more plan.

Question #2  the game is way more then a concept.  Do you know that they already have an Alpha client that some people on discord show that they are playing the game in Pre-Alpha?   Do you also know that the game has been in development since the end of 2014 but was not announced until Dec of 2016?   They had before being announced 14 months of development time.   They have far more than concepts they have a client with them running to some degree.  Of course they need another year maybe more (The game target release date is Dec 2018) and will likely have 36+ months of development before released.   

Unlike other MMORPG projects they have a clear baseline goal, and a hard stop on scope creep.   They also have stretch goals which can work if they got enough money but the stretch goals are already planned for after release because they dont have enough money to get it into the base game.   If they get the extra money from Kickstarter they can add a handful more staff to manage their Indian offshore Developer team to get the needed work done.

This game is a hell of a lot more grounded than many other MMORPGs that went to kickstarter.  Pantheon is right there with them.  A good future MMORPG.  But other Kickstarter MMORPGS like Star Citizen, SOTA and several others were just concepts when they started.  SOTA is out now but are all the features enabled?  Nope and they needed to go to P2W to support the game.   Ashes does not need to do that.  

Now maybe they can be a little more specific about their ideas?  The KS was a big heaping pile of vague BS.  No way I was going near that with my money.

Come to Discord and talk to the community like an adult.   Ask direct questions.  Often you will get direct answers and screen shots of exactly what the developers say.   Hell Steven jumps into discord often and gives as direct of an answer as possible.  

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Ikeda said:

More people willing to piss away their hard earned money on air.... it never ceases to amaze me. Hope it turns out better than:

Yogventures (567k)

PFO (307k)

SpaceVenture (539k)

Castle Story (702K)

Homestuck Adventure Game (2.4m)

Star Citizen (142m)

Godus (526k (pounds))

PFO#2 (1m)

Shroud of Avatar (2m)

StoneHearth (751k)

H-hour (252k)

Magatokyo (299k)

Omni (1.1m)

7 Days to Die (507k)

Project Phoenix (1.1m)

City of Titans (678k)

Mandate (701k)

Unsung Story (660k)

Kingdom Come (1.1m (pounds))

Planets (310k)

Shaq-Fu (473k)

So in a by-no-means comprehensive list Kickstarter has wasted the money to the grand total of:

$157,972,000

Making Kickstarter (the website that just takes and doesn't give): $15,797,200-ish of your hopes and dreams.

Suckers.

You're forgetting the 250 items on steam that were successfully released after their Kickstarter. Also, keep in mind that's ONLY items that were released to Steam. 

So while some games have failed and others, like many in your list, are still in development. At last check, somewhere in the area of 75% of Kickstarters had a game that was playable. Another 22% were still in development. So the actual number on hiatus or canceled was only 3%. 

Also, 7 days to die is effectively released. I know it says EA on Steam, but it actually has a physical console boxed version for sale, which is probably leaps and bounds beyond what many would consider to be released. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

danwest58 said:

Nanfoodle said:

Some good info and speculation =) Thanks
    Love the monster play video. I loved that feature in LotR. That could be a very fun type of PvP. 
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    edited May 2017
    It's such a pity that developers of fantasy MMORPGs are giving legendary-looking cosmetic items as rewards for real money crowdfunding. In AoE they will give a glowing horse mount and some other glowy things to the Kickstarter backers. It detracts a great deal from immersion in fantasy games. Glowy things are supposed to be very unusual in the fantasy genre, like the Sting sword in Lord of the Rings. Instead, they are highly trivialised with the approach adopted in free-to-play microtransaction model. When you see glowy stuff in a fantasy MMORPG these days, you know the source is usually a real money purchase instead of some in-game storyline or adventure.

The node system reminds me of a suggestion I made to some developers many years ago, that the whole community can level up a region in a game by contributing to the actions performed in that region. It's nice to see a developer finally implementing such a vision.
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

Yanocchi said:

It's nice to see a developer finally implementing such a vision.

A few have mentioned that it's what EQ Next was talking about.  I don't quite remember, but it does sound familiar.

danwest58 said:

Question #1 they already had a live demo on twich TV that is the first video.  It was only open to the Discord channel group live.   Then they edited the video after.   Maybe join discord and watch for more up and coming live streams the developers already have more plan.

So the video was that was shown on Twitch (monster play) was actually on discord live first?
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Yanocchi said:

It's such a pity that developers of fantasy MMORPGs are giving legendary-looking cosmetic items as rewards for real money crowdfunding. In AoE they will give a glowing horse mount and some other glowy things to the Kickstarter backers. It detracts a great deal from immersion in fantasy games. Glowy things are supposed to be very unusual in the fantasy genre, like the Sting sword in Lord of the Rings. Instead, they are highly trivialised with the approach adopted in free-to-play microtransaction model. When you see glowy stuff in a fantasy MMORPG these days, you know the source is usually a real money purchase instead of some in-game storyline or adventure.

The node system reminds me of a suggestion I made to some developers many years ago, that the whole community can level up a region in a game by contributing to the actions performed in that region. It's nice to see a developer finally implementing such a vision.

Mark it! 3 days it took for someone to complain about the monetization of cosmetic items :P 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------