Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the benefits of playing video games?

juschepjuschep Member UncommonPosts: 2

Hey fellow gamers!

As you may all know, video games are often discussed in terms of their negative effects on players. However, I belief that games also have many benefits and can be truly amazing. In a scientific project at the Hanover University of Music, Drama and Media (Germany) we are currently investigating the positive effects of gaming. And we need your help!

Have you ever played a video game and felt like what was happening on screen was truly awe-inspiring? Have you ever been amazed by something vast while playing a video game, something that stood out of your typical gaming experience?

Then please help us with our scientific mission and take 15 minutes of your time to fill out this questionnaire. You even have the chance of winning one of 20 Amazon vouchers worth $20 each!

ww3.unipark.de/uc/awe/

The survey is part of a non-commercial, scientific project at the Hanover University of Music, Drama and Media (Germany) and we take our research seriously: All of your details will be treated anonymously as well as confidentially and are used for scientific purposes only.

Thank you for participating!

Comments

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    juschep said:

However, I belief that games also have many benefits

belief -> believe

Good survey, although it might have benefited by having a field for verbal description of the situation before the awe moment.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    A very healthy life style. and very friendly folks.
    Scot
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Keeps me out of bars and strip joints.
    :p
    MrMelGibsoncjmarshScotKilraneSinsai

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    What are the benefits of having hobbies?
    ScotSinsai
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Robokapp said:
    provides entertainment while protecting savings.
    Well, not if you get into P2W mode.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Kyleran said:
    Robokapp said:
    provides entertainment while protecting savings.
    Well, not if you get into P2W mode.
    if you get invested in P2W you probably stepped into addiction territory already, not seeing gaming as entertainment anymore.

My thoughts.
    Sinsai

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    My girlfriend always knows where I am, in front of the computer.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• twoshotttwoshott Member UncommonPosts: 1
    @Elsabolts What is the case for when people start raging at games? Most of the time I am never in a game with friendly folks lol.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    What are the benefits of reading a book, watching a film, or playing cards with friends? Each of us finds enjoyment in varying activities, its really not that complicated ;)
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    When coming home from a long day and you see your pc/console:

When sitting and seeing the beautiful fantasy world:

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Video games have helped prevent me from picking up the clap ;)

On a more serious note my son learned to read at a very early age because of his interest in Harvest Moon.
    MrMelGibson

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited April 2017
    Kyleran said:
    why .. why would you want to do that .... :)

now all jokes aside ... I answered this in a similar thread Blueturtle had started...

I actually really got into them alot , when i had quit drinking and doing drugs , i needed something to occupy my time and keep me out of the bars/streets.. And PC gaming did that , so going on 26 years now clean .... Not only that , but it got my interest so much and because i wasnt drinking/drugs i had excess cash , And started investing in Devs , many of them very early on , Blizzard, Funcom, Origin..EA.. etc.. and have made a LOT of money with it .. a real belssing in disguise PC gaming turned out to be for me ...

MrMelGibson
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    why .. why would you want to do that .... :)

now all jokes aside ... I answered this in a similar thread Blueturtle had started...

I actually really got into them alot , when i had quit drinking and doing drugs , i needed something to occupy my time and keep me out of the bars/streets.. And PC gaming did that , so going on 26 years now clean .... Not only that , but it got my interest so much and because i wasnt drinking/drugs i had excess cash , And started investing in Devs , many of them very early on , Blizzard, Funcom, Origin..EA.. etc.. and have made a LOT of money with it .. a real belssing in disguise PC gaming turned out to be for me ...

I can totally relate to that.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited April 2017
    There are plenty of articles from reputable sources of scientific study that show the benefits of video games I am not sure I understand why its being asked for again basically.

kinda a summary
    https://www.positivehealthwellness.com/fitness/12-surprising-health-benefits-playing-video-games/

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• christianjosephchristianjoseph Member UncommonPosts: 11
    edited April 2017
    Many people can actually say, pc gaming just eats up a lot of time and money because many are being addicted to it specially the minors and kids as well. Many parents are scolding their children because they always see the bad side of online gaming leaving a bad impression in every games their children are playing specially if its not a good influence to their young ones. On contrary to this, as the topic says what are the benefits of playing video/pc games, well I can say there are also few positive side of it. I believe video games can actually sharpen the minds of the gamer since most of the games needs logic and have various instruction in order for you to continue the game. There are also those which involves math and decision-making, trying to find out the best solutions and hero's to play and learning each process of the game. it may be nerve-wracking at times but it can actually help improve the memories of the gamers and their skills in problem solving as well.
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Gaming keeping world population down.............However I still managed to have 2 kids, so yeah, I wasn't playing hard enough obviously.

Pro and cons to all past times, point A/ realising its a past time and an alternative time line.
                                                              B/ when you spend more time doing your past time compared to anything else, its not a past time its your life.
                                                              C/ If your past time has saved you from drugs and other vices, but you play 20 hours of the day, you have just swapped one addiction for another, you have not in fact cured anything, other than you might possibly extended your life expectancy, and some would dispute that fact as well.
                                                              D/ Life is but a game that no one has won yet, no one knows the rules for sure, and everyone dies at the end, so please ignore points A,B and C.

DragonClawStudios

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Dieting by forgetting to eat . Happened to me a lot I actually lost weight playing, weight I had difficulty losing by exercise alone because damn exercise made me hungry and then I played some game got so engrossed and forgot to snack voila lost weight.
    KyleranMrMelGibson

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited April 2017

Many people can actually say, pc gaming just eats up a lot of time and money because many are being addicted to it specially the minors and kids as well. Many parents are scolding their children because they always see the bad side of online gaming leaving a bad impression in every games their children are playing specially if its not a good influence to their young ones. On contrary to this, as the topic says what are the benefits of playing video/pc games, well I can say there are also few positive side of it. I believe video games can actually sharpen the minds of the gamer since most of the games needs logic and have various instruction in order for you to continue the game. There are also those which involves math and decision-making, trying to find out the best solutions and hero's to play and learning each process of the game. it may be nerve-wracking at times but it can actually help improve the memories of the gamers and their skills in problem solving as well.

pop cultures understanding of 'addiction' is very often astronomically pathetic to the point of annoyance.

people who have been abused as children (most specifically sexual abuse) will engage in any activity they can find in order to avoid the pain. They also typically dont even want to do what they are doing.

Thus, anyone who doing something a great deal who is not doing it to avoid extreme emotional pain and even doesn't want to do it in the first place is very likely not an addict.

The problem is the 'exterior' is not the addiction. The addiction is caused by abusing childern, what they become addicted to is completely immaterial, it can be just about anything

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• LindholmILindholmI Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited May 2017
    I'd like to play naruto online.  http://naruto.oasgames.com/fr/  A game is an activity or sport usually involving skill, knowledge, or chance, in which you follow fixed rules and try to win against an opponent
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Kyleran said:

That's what happened to me. Single, in my 20's, stationed in SoCal. Was pissing away (literally) $1,500 per month easily.

That's why I have to laugh at these people that complain about a $15 sub.
    MrMelGibson
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Stress relief!
    DragonClawStudios
  • 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Playing games is a stress reliever, and I feel relaxed every time I played 
    JeffSpicoliDragonClawStudios
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited May 2017
    Just doing a search on YouTube about 'Tedx Talks' the benefits of playing computer games yields lots of professionals who lecture on the topic.  Here are a few.

Your brain on video games | Daphne Bavelier

Video games are f**king awesome | Eric Jordan | TEDxVictoria

How video games can empower real world success | Jonathan Harrison | TEDxBocaRaton

GdemamibcbullyByrgenarHofen

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• OrionKnightOrionKnight Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Stress Reliever! Time Consumer? Faster reflexes  =)