Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Pledge

124»

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2017

Nanfoodle said:

I was very opposed to crowd finding and a few games later like Banner Saga and seeing all the names of the backers in the credits. Made me think twice about my stance. Pantheon was my first game I backed. Now I will only jump in when I feel sure about game direction and I feel the Devs are up front with us. 

Like I want to back Ashes but I don't have the info I want to know if I will enjoy combat and crafting. Also where they say they are in development dose not add up with what they have shown us. I posted on their sub forums I would have bought 2 pledges for my wife and I if they gave me the info I wanted. 

Only reply I got is they have a dev that loves Bards. So I will not back them. I have wanted to back Pantheon for a year now but the Dev stream sold me. I got the info I needed to jump in. I think we all have a line we would find it worth jumping in on some game sometime. I don't buy into blind faith. Faith to me means seeing evidence I'm willing to invest in. 

I perfectly understand that, I'm even stricter as I won't buy into anything I can't play now. Simply because there are far too many games I haven't played that I can play, to buy something I can't. My wife would also beat me over the head, but that's because of her own thoughts on how many steam games I do own I still haven't played or played just a little :)

I can understand most reasons why folks don't buy into these games. What I can't understand is why many seem to want to impose their own reasoning onto others, in turn ridiculing them because they don't follow the same rationale. 

If it's a matter of principle, then the principle should stand even after release because regardless they got there how they got there. If a person is opposed to that or is sickened by it, that shouldn't change because they can now play the game. Otherwise they were just being negative to be negative, as well belittling to belittle, making the use of words such as principle nothing more than an excuse for it. In that case take a queue from Dennis Leary, embrace your inner ahole, don't hide it behind a pretty exterior. 

Just my 2 cents. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2017
    Ahh I regret that real life took me away from such a lively debate!

@Nanfoodle I don't generally browse specific forums from my phone, but simply browse the recent discussion page.  I chimed in here not because I have any issue with Pantheon, but because delete's post literally implied we, as consumers, we're lucky to receive ANY benefit to helping developers fund these projects.  I wasn't aware this was in a Pantheon subforum until I started wondering why you guys all wanted to keep mentioning it specifically. ;)

@Distopia and @Sovrath I get what you guys are saying.  Though I will submit that all those games you enjoy as a result of crowdfunding contained much smaller scopes (aka are not MMORPGs).  I think there's a distinct difference in the nature of those projects when compared to MMORPGs.  I don't like to see anyone get taken by a company, which is part of the reason I feel the need to submit my argument.  Though, as I mentioned previously, I know there's subjectivity involved and not everyone will see my side or take it.  However, the point that irks me most is watching folks make what should be an impartial decision based upon an emotional response to a developer persona or hype video.  And we all know such personas and videos are cultivated consciously to elicit those emotional responses.  Psychology supports the effectiveness of these techniques along the same lines as the RNG lootboxes.  It's an appeal to emotion.  I dislike watching folks utilize that to convince other folks to fork over hard-earned cash without a finished product in return, or even a concrete feature set that we know will be included in the future finished product.

I also get that you guys would like to not have to crowdfund to get games you wish to play.  As I've mentioned elsewhere, I long for a return to the traditional MMORPG social experience as well.  However, I now have my doubts that crowdfunding is the best answer.

• AraduneAradune Sigil Games CEOMember RarePosts: 294

Distopia said:

On one hand I can understand his point as well, however on the other it's the same type of person responsible for me getting to play things like Divinity OS, Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, etc... They'll also be responsible when I get to load up CU, CF, Ashes, Pantheon, etc... 

I'd feel quite silly bemoaning these folks, and then turning around and reaping the reward they helped make possible. 

Thanks for the faith and to everyone who has pledged their hard earned money.  This money along with closing our Series A round of investments from accredited investors has allowed the Visionary Realms team to bring Pantheon to the stage you've seen in the two streams we did very recently, as well as other work that is being done that is not yet at the stage where we can show it.  Soon :)

Once again, a huge thanks to the community for their support -- we'd not be where we are at without you.  You'll be seeing some specific job openings *very* soon that would not have been possible without both sources of funding.  We head now into raising Series B money and continuing crowdfunding which, upon completion, will allow us to grow the team even larger (specifically more environment artists and world builders so that we can create the vast, epic and magical world players will love to explore and adventure in).  

First will be the completion of the continent King's Reach which will provide us sufficient content to begin pre-alpha 1 testing.  After that the completion of the rest of the continents, which along with completing the gameplay mechanics and features of the game and other necessary content, will allow us to enter beta testing and really get moving on this project.  To say the least, we are extremely excited about how far we've been able to progress as well as what the future holds as we work towards alpha, beta and release!

thanks again,

-Brad McQuaid
     CCO, Visionary Realms Inc.
     Executive Producer, Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/join/  (pledging)
    http://http//visionaryrealms.com/contact-us/  (Accredited investors interested in funding Series B)

--

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad McQuaid
    CCO, Visionary Realms, Inc.
    www.pantheonmmo.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    The day Brad McQuaid actually reads through horrible threads like this and even posts something in reply. Leave now OP, everybody quits at their highest point and you really couldn't get any better result with posts like yours.

Thanks for dropping by Brad. Curious about what DMKano is asking too. When my wife has recovered a bit more from having given birth to our second beautiful daughter I am going to check out the pledges and see what fits me. Life is good.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

lahnmir said:

The day Brad McQuaid actually reads through horrible threads like this and even posts something in reply. Leave now OP, everybody quits at their highest point and you really couldn't get any better result with posts like yours.

Thanks for dropping by Brad. Curious about what DMKano is asking too. When my wife has recovered a bit more from having given birth to our second beautiful daughter I am going to check out the pledges and see what fits me. Life is good.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Great now that the cats out of the bag lets talk about this !

It's disgusting that because of selfish posters here it came to this.  We have a team of developers putting everything on the line for us.  Good possibility risking everything for a one shot deal.

It's disgusting that we have a FULL post floating around ( and it's not the first ) about everyone wants and give me's.  Some are asking for way more than they pledge.

Do you think that cost is over at release ?........ It just starts !!!!!!

Yet, people here would like a free ride !!!!!!!

What, 50% of the forever player base need not pay anything again !!!!!! 

THIS IS WHAT THAT SOUNDS LIKE.

This is what's embarrassing....... And Brad is subjected to this dirty laundry. 
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    It's just amazes me how many of the people couldn't give Pantheon the time of day a year ago or when it was first announced as a kickstarter. 

"the game will never see the light of day"

"your mad to pledge to this type of mmo, no one will play it"

I could go on and on lol. 

Now fast forward and the same people are here seeing that the game is going to make it and dictating how the devs should proceed or run there game, pathetic twats. 

I wouldn't even come here now if I was a developer. If you want to pledge then do so, if you don't then oh well np. 

Seems they are more upset that the game is coming along nicely and it's not the type of mmo they want. 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    OP should be ashamed of what he has exposed in this thread and to bring all these things up again and to have Brad read it. You OP are responsible for every statement in this thread because you facilitated it. Shame on you.
    Chamber of Chains
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

It's disgusting that because of selfish posters here it came to this.  We have a team of developers putting everything on the line for us.  Good possibility risking everything for a one shot deal.

It's disgusting that we have a FULL post floating around ( and it's not the first ) about everyone wants and give me's.  Some are asking for way more than they pledge.

Brad took the high road in his response to this thread, consider following his example.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2017

It's just amazes me how many of the people couldn't give Pantheon the time of day a year ago or when it was first announced as a kickstarter. 

"the game will never see the light of day"

"your mad to pledge to this type of mmo, no one will play it"

I could go on and on lol. 

Now fast forward and the same people are here seeing that the game is going to make it and dictating how the devs should proceed or run there game, pathetic twats. 

I wouldn't even come here now if I was a developer. If you want to pledge then do so, if you don't then oh well np. 

Seems they are more upset that the game is coming along nicely and it's not the type of mmo they want. 

You project a lot of what's in your imagination into other posters responses, most people don't actually care all that much and are here for the entertainment.

Keep up the good work. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

I hope thats A joke because that is not a PANTHEON pic.

Yeah, actually looking at Pantheon screenshots (the video does the game no justice in the graphics department), it does look more in the Rift range or so.

That was my thinking as well and 10 years above EQ in the graphics department is a nice jump and quite good enough for me considering this is a niche being made by an indie studio.

On top of that, they don't want the graphical requirements to be so high that the game can't run well on most people's computers.

They went for state of the art graphics last time in vanguard, and it hurt them. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Kyleran said:

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Brad took the high road in his response to this thread, consider following his example.

That kind of post (the one you're responding to) was the entire reason I became involved in this thread in the first place.

It reads more like a stump speech than a post about a friggin' video game.  /facepalm

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

cheyane said:

OP should be ashamed of what he has exposed in this thread and to bring all these things up again and to have Brad read it. You OP are responsible for every statement in this thread because you facilitated it. Shame on you.

I don't take the liberal approach and let all kind of nasty stuff happen.

Never did never will !