Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation - Ashes Crushed KickStarter. What Next? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Torval said:

According to the massively interview Iselin posted, the game is self-funded to the budget of $30M+.

Excellent! THAT is what I have been asking for.  Did the Massively interview give a feel for what features are included in the "core" game and which are excluded?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Torval said:

According to the massively interview Iselin posted, the game is self-funded to the budget of $30M+.

Yeah I want to have that much spare cash too so I can "do it right." Hell I even have a game developing son that I could talk into working cheap :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

There is something down between my network and massively as I cannot connect.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Torval said:

Torval said:

Excellent! THAT is what I have been asking for.  Did the Massively interview give a feel for what features are included in the "core" game and which are excluded?

Somewhat. There are some Discord QA's that I think have better details, but Massively asked a few good questions. The pvp flagging was informative. His candor about the cash shop and their reasoning for coupling it with a sub found interesting because it was about a 180 from the way Matt Firor presented and sold their business model with ESO. It was mostly directed at his business history and pvp.

Here is the link. I found it again (credit: I got it initially from Iselin): http://massivelyop.com/2017/05/04/ashes-of-creations-steven-sharif-on-his-business-history-30m-funding-goal-and-pvp/

What I found interesting was the 30m funding target. My question would be, "Do you have the funding set aside to complete this regardless of crowdfunding? Or are you relying on crowdfunding to meet your funding target?" 

He mentions almost in passing that "The Kickstarter and any other crowdfunding we might engage in is intended to add to that budget, for additional scope on certain systems we intend to reveal throughout development." So does that mean he's personally investing $30 million into it? Like that's what he's already budgeted? If so, that's a game changer, in my opinion. Also, it obviously means that they are planning for a massive increase in tea msize, like by 300% or so. Either that or contracting out work. With their current team size, $30 million would last them like 20 years, lol. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    edited May 2017
    It was said in the interview that they will triple their team size by the end of the year. They don't want to hire anyone too quickly.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Talmien said:

It was said in the interview that they triple their team size by the end of the year. They don't want to hire anyone too quickly.

Thanks! So 50 people by the end of the year. So like $5 million annual burn +/-, and then expenses. If they had a really fucking sweet coffee machine, and free coffee, I'd probably work there. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    The fundraising keeps on climbing! Just hit "Cute Small Pets" and the group mounts are not far behind.

While this is all fun to watch, especially the development of these games my main fear now is that they will all go live at the same time. :)

Nanulak

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

TimEisen said:

30M! Dang! Ballers. 

That statement was a tad ambiguous. It was hard to discern whether he was saying that was the goal, or that was the current amount reached overall. Citation needed IMO

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited May 2017
    You can dig into the devs past, you can research every single one who are involved in the game, yes you link all sorts of things about the company and everyone in it and yes you can also say their KS are a pyramid scam or the game is a total scam, the thing is why can't you all just do what we did in the old days, just follow the game, write on the forums, listen to the devs and wait for the next video they gonna post, I mean you don't have to back it, just do it old school, just follow it and see if if will float or sink.

Nowdays we have sooo many crusaders who thinks they are a godsend in MMO world, knows the right answers, make post, doing budget comparison, how large the dev team are do links making argument left and right, for what?, what are you trying to prove?, you really think you helping out with your crusade?

Just wait and see, if it's a success, good, if it sucks, so what, It's a game no one are twisting your arm to pledge or follow It's development.

Who are you trying to save?, the rest of the MMO community who don't see the light, like you do?

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Some recent MMORPG budget comparisons:

RIFT - $60-70 mill
    DCUO - $50 mill
    TSW - $50 mill
    TERA - $50 mill

So $30 mill plus however much KS makes and any other investments they accept, is a pretty big boy number for an indie dev studio.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    The con man snake oil salesman running it takes all your money and moves on to his next ponzi scheme. 

• emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Next, you will see stretch goals for stuff that should be in any base game.  They will lead you on for 5 years, then claim bankruptcy.  I smell some Camelot Unchained massive fockery here.
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Leiloni said:

Some recent MMORPG budget comparisons:

RIFT - $60-70 mill
    DCUO - $50 mill
    TSW - $50 mill
    TERA - $50 mill

So $30 mill plus however much KS makes and any other investments they accept, is a pretty big boy number for an indie dev studio.

Also, those other games you posted a lot of that budget went into their marketing also. Most of AoC's budget went into the game. So, $30M is not bad at all :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I look forward to ritualistically enjoying this game with a tall glass of mangosteen juice when it's out.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    A GREAT game idea NEVER needs gamer's money,it is simply a gimmick being used because of so many careless loose spenders to EXPLOIT.

As well paying a writer to write a column on what could have EASILY been summed up in one title comes off as two faced since this site was crying about ad blockers and needing money.If you are that hard up for money better spend it wisely and create some MEANINGFUL articles with content that shows off a game instead of just disguised endorsements.

We just witnessed it with Quake and the true agenda on EVERY article,yet this site had the balls to question OUR accusations.This site NEVER cares about Quake,out of nowhere a thread or two then followed by a giant advertisement,yeah truly amazing how that just happens out of nowhere.

Tim claims he wrote on this because he was watching it?What an INSULT to readers intelligence,does Tim truly believe readers are that dumb?Try a little more honesty,it goes a long way in improving articles even if the agenda is still disguised advertising.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    yeah, something to talk about until the next one.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • tristanfeytristanfey Member UncommonPosts: 13

Elminzter said:

imo 750k to develop a mmorpg is unrealistic take a look at crowfall and camelot unchained, something does not add up...

The game was funded by private investors. This KS is only tonall then tad more features and flesh out the game world more. If you watch their video they tell you that.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2017

Elminzter said:

imo 750k to develop a mmorpg is unrealistic take a look at crowfall and camelot unchained, something does not add up...

The game was funded by private investors. This KS is only tonall then tad more features and flesh out the game world more. If you watch their video they tell you that.

A total unknown manages to locate private investors willing to put up $30M to build his new game, while the rest of the known indie players struggle to come up with $10M? 

Also, no strings attached, he can build it "his way"

Seems to be too good to be true.

Guy must one hell of a salesman.  ;)

Or the investors are family.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Distopia said:

TimEisen said:

30M! Dang! Ballers. 

That statement was a tad ambiguous. It was hard to discern whether he was saying that was the goal, or that was the current amount reached overall. Citation needed IMO

An update from Bree on Massively:
    -----------------------
    Bree Royce

To be clear, he didn’t actually answer how much money he’d put in so far. He said it would take $30M to complete and implied that he was the only “investor” to date, not that he’d put in $30M himself. He’s said he has more investors waiting in the wings. But if it’s been in production with a dozen devs for the last year or two, welp, do the math on what it’s cost so far. :D

----------------------

So I take back my AWESOME and go back to asking for a serious, straight answer without all the damn wordsmithing.

Kyleran said:

Elminzter said:

A total unknown manages to locate private investors willing to put up $30M to build his new game, while the rest of the known indie players struggle to come up with $10M? 

See my post above... Bree has clarified:
    Bree Royce

To be clear, he didn’t actually answer how much money he’d put in so far. He said it would take $30M to complete and implied that he was the only “investor” to date, not that he’d put in $30M himself. He’s said he has more investors waiting in the wings. But if it’s been in production with a dozen devs for the last year or two, welp, do the math on what it’s cost so far. :D

edited May 2017

-----------------------
    Bree Royce

----------------------

So I take back my AWESOME and go back to asking for a serious, straight answer without all the damn wordsmithing.

Yeah that update certainly clears that up, because while many read it as him saying they had 30 mil, I read it as him saying that's what they wanted,  he never actually said we have that, he just said that he put in his own funds and the goal is 30 mil. He never put those two points together in one sentence.

Kyleran said:

Elminzter said:

I don't know how much of the current budget was private investors since I had read it was mostly him. I did read somewhere that he had former business contacts that had expressed interest in investing. Remember he's spent the last 7 years or so working in investments and real estate, and he's still involved in that, so this money stuff is literally what he does. I would expect him to have such contacts, not a game developer.

Distopia said:

-----------------------
    Bree Royce

----------------------

Yeah that update certainly clears that up, because while many read it as him saying they had 30 mil, I read it as him saying that's what they wanted,  he never actually said we have that, he just said that he put in his own funds and the goal is 30 mil. He never put those two points together in one sentence.

You also don't need all the money up front so it sounds like he knows where he can get the rest. Until you need to spend that money you don't need it all in the bank. I'm curious how much he has right now but I guess it doesn't matter as long as they game gets made well in the end.

Leiloni said:

Distopia said:

-----------------------
    Bree Royce

----------------------

You also don't need all the money up front so it sounds like he knows where he can get the rest. Until you need to spend that money you don't need it all in the bank. I'm curious how much he has right now but I guess it doesn't matter as long as they game gets made well in the end.

Well that's true, however having the funds and not having them are two completely different positions to be in. 

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    What foes it mean? Absolutely nothing. Other than continuing to prove as long as you tell people what they want to hear they will throw money at you.