Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation - Ashes Crushed KickStarter. What Next? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ShadowvenShadowven Member UncommonPosts: 17
    This was a live Q&A twitch feed with Steven Sharif. Enjoy =D

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/139948292
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Iselin said:

There is an interview on Massively that answers many questions people are asking here

And a damn good, informative interview at that:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/05/04/ashes-of-creations-steven-sharif-on-his-business-history-30m-funding-goal-and-pvp/

I keep getting a 502 error at massively and I'm stuck on my phone.  Can someone summarize?

Sure! The www.massivelyop.com website is currently down atm (not just for your phone). :lol:

It's working for me.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:

Iselin said:

There is an interview on Massively that answers many questions people are asking here

And a damn good, informative interview at that:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/05/04/ashes-of-creations-steven-sharif-on-his-business-history-30m-funding-goal-and-pvp/

It really is a good interview. I'm not a pvp person anymore, but what got me onboard is that they designed the flagging system after Lineage. I'll give a game a shot and try out a pvp system in that way. To me that's the closest to an organic system as we've realized today. I doubt that it will work out as he pictures, because I think organic low-gank pvp is a moving target, but it's about as close as I think we can get at this point.

Another thing that sold me is they have thought this through as a business and not just a game they want to play in dreamland. Going with a subscription and a cash shop from the get go makes sense. It's the only way a sub game can really work. I like that he was up front about how they plan on selling cash shop items and why.

Also the explanation of using basic class names to define archetypes at this point - totally grounded and sensible.

The sensible planned approach to the project is something I found really attractive. The only other indie project I've seen with that sort of sensible approach to systems design and implementation has been Camelot Unchained.

The part that impressed me the most is that Steven does sound like a genuine MMORPG gamer. His enthusiasm for doing something better with the genre comes through in spades. Lots of plain common sense honesty and very little hype in his responses.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• anonentityanonentity Member UncommonPosts: 36
    After ESO I will never subscribe to an mmo with a cash shop.

Do one or the other, not both.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Torval said:

Shadowven said:

Well To those who want more information and want to stay active with the AoC community and Dev's.

Join the discord channel =D: https://discord.gg/AshesOfCreation

Want to join the AoC Community: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/

And the true purpose comes out.  His referral link which is against the site rules and gives him 15% of anything you spend.  

Don't be a douche. Having referral links isn't against the rules here, or isn't enforced. People have referral links for Trino, EA, etc in their sigs. Don't try to be a forum cop with your personal agenda.

Nice response.  Also it's very much against the rules.  Feel free to look them up.  Yes I have an issue believing someone who comes in, says how great a game is, and drops a link that gives him 15% of whatever is earned from that link, in real cash, for perpetuity.   You don't like the rules here take it up with the powers that be but keep your insults to yourself.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

TimEisen said:

Nyctelios said:

TimEisen said:

If its already paid for, have they said how much that number is?

No. And he said it on live but the discord FAQ says otherwise... So it is kinda conflicted information (same for alpha phases, discord mods are pasting information that does not match with stream Q&A)

I'm curious because every KS says they need X amount to make the game then the day after funding they open a digi store and tell their backers they need more money lol. If IS has a war chest already they might not fall into that category, at least I hope they dont. 

This team is doing it differently !

They will continue raising funds after the KS campaign, while assuring everybody that the extra funds aren't REALLY needed, it's just to help "make the game better"... :D
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

Sovrath said:

Nanfoodle said:

Still watching and yet to see any detail on game play video, combat direction, classes, crafting. We know they have nodes and I will say that part sounds awesome but you could have had  pledge from my wife and I as well. So we sit back and watch. 

Well, they have listed the classes and there is a video with combat against some mobs.

The only issue I see is that I haven't seen anything with "lots of people" around. A group going to a dungeon delve, etc. Or a city with a lot of people.

There's a few videos out, most before the KS, but they did show some gameplay on yesterday's stream. They've also answers questions about all of the quoted posters topics on both their Q&A Streams as well as a podcast stream last night from DungeonCrawlerNetwork. Lots of info is out there if people bother looking for it.

Shadowven said:

Well To those who want more information and want to stay active with the AoC community and Dev's.

And the true purpose comes out.  His referral link which is against the site rules and gives him 15% of anything you spend.  

It's not a referral link. A referral link would have his username at the end of it after the last slash, but it doesn't. That link just functions as a regular link.

Man, are you ever going to be waiting a long time. That's a genie that just ain't going back in the bottle any time soon.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Nyctelios said:

Shadowven said:

Elminzter said:

imo 750k to develop a mmorpg is unrealistic take a look at crowfall and camelot unchained, something does not add up...

Eliminzter, The game is already privately funded. The kickstarter is for bonus material and to help growth.

Funded for the "core" product.  What exactly is considered in scope of the core product and what is excluded?  What is the budget for this "core" product?

Jokes aside, I have the very same concern as you - adding the rewards having no concept to show what they actually are.

You mean the KS rewards? They've posted concept art for the mounts, the monster token thing was shown in game on yesterday's livestream. There's a Phoenix aura or something that was described verbally on one of the livestreams as well. I haven't kept track of everything, this is just what I've seen personally. The point being they do know what all this stuff is going to be so they're not hiding it.

Leiloni said:

Shadowven said:

It's not a referral link. A referral link would have his username at the end of it after the last slash, but it doesn't. That link just functions as a regular link.

He edited it after he was called out .

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Torval said:

Torval said:

Shadowven said:

Don't be a douche. Having referral links isn't against the rules here, or isn't enforced. People have referral links for Trino, EA, etc in their sigs. Don't try to be a forum cop with your personal agenda.

Nice response.  Also it's very much against the rules.  Feel free to look them up.  Yes I have an issue believing someone who comes in, says how great a game is, and drops a link that gives him 15% of whatever is earned from that link, in real cash, for perpetuity.   You don't like the rules here take it up with the powers that be but keep your insults to yourself.

Sorry, I guess I got confused by your selective outrage and offense at the practice. I didn't realize that it's only okay for you to attack posters when it fits your argument and never the established ones, just the low hanging fruit.

I'm pretty sure flaming people and calling out moderation offenses are just as against the rules, but you're applying a double standard, again to fit your vendetta agenda. You're supposed to report people and not respond, flame, troll, or derail conversations either. Anything to say about that?

Maybe you should try acting on your own advice.

You seem very ill informed.

• anonentityanonentity Member UncommonPosts: 36

Torval said:

They can't survive without both unless they crank up the prices of either to cover the missed revenue stream. On top of that I think maybe you're not being realistic. Only a few older fringe mmos don't sell digital extras. Ryzom comes to mind but I'm having a hard time thinking of any other sub based game that doesn't have a cash shop.

I respectfully disagree. Rather it has become expected of the mmo industry to have a sub AND a cash shop and people have gone along with it.

After being made to feel like a second class citizen in ESO for having a sub and NOT also shelling out for cash shop stuff I won't do it again.

• zedsdeadzedsdead Member UncommonPosts: 19
    What's next? String the mmo community along for a few more years with 5-10 more opportunities to back the newest and greatest mmo that will never be released.

Leiloni said:

Shadowven said:

Unfortunately, I did post a referral link, but i edited it out once he said it was against forum rules. I was unaware of that it was. Beside's my intent is and was only to inform people of this game and try to build the community for their success. I just believe that slapshot, was being quick to irrationality and ignorant in his response by not knowing my intentions. 

Anyway, if you need more info or if there is anything i can help you with questions. I'll do my best to give you resources from Intrepid Studios page or streams.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Every time I see AoC I immediately think Age of Conan, gotta get used to it being Ashes of Creation.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Tiller said:

Every time I see AoC I immediately think Age of Conan, gotta get used to it being Ashes of Creation.

Yeah they're lucky Funcom isn't like Zenimax. At least they haven't shown themselves to be.  It would be a rather open and shut case in most US courts. They'd be calling themselves something else for sure...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Here is some Q&A From Intrepid Studios On Discord Channel for those who may have the same questions.

Torval said:

Torval said:

Torval said:

Shadowven said:

Sorry, I guess I got confused by your selective outrage and offense at the practice. I didn't realize that it's only okay for you to attack posters when it fits your argument and never the established ones, just the low hanging fruit.

I'm pretty sure flaming people and calling out moderation offenses are just as against the rules, but you're applying a double standard, again to fit your vendetta agenda. You're supposed to report people and not respond, flame, troll, or derail conversations either. Anything to say about that?

Maybe you should try acting on your own advice.

You seem very ill informed.

About what exactly?

I'm certainly not wrong that you're selectively calling people out for referral links. I'm not wrong that you chose to call out (flame) another member (against the rules) for forum violations. It seems pretty clear you're using the rules selectively to support your position in this thread.

So yeah, what am I "pretty ill informed" about.

All of the above.

OK let's play this game.  You specifically called me a douche.  A very disparaging term.  You have yet to apologize. What exactly have I called you or anyone else?

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

Shadowven said:

Here is some Q&A From Intrepid Studios On Discord Channel for those who may have the same questions.

Thanks for sharing! Is there a public link to their discord?
    --------------------------------------------

Shadowven said:

Thanks for sharing! Is there a public link to their discord?

Yes, I shared it in an earlier post, but here it is ^_^
    Join the discord channel =D: https://discord.gg/AshesOfCreation
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

Distopia said:

Tiller said:

Yeah they're lucky Funcom isn't like Zenimax. At least they haven't shown themselves to be.  It would be a rather open and shut case in most US courts. They'd be calling themselves something else for sure...

Well, Zenimax trademarked their abbreviation,

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4809:mr78tl.3.5

Funcom didn't (from what I can tell). Until then, AoC is fair game...

--------------------------------------------
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Torval said:

Shadowven said:

If I could see signatures in the phone version there would be a whole lot more reporting of referral links going on.

Torval did you think someone who never misses an opportunity to correct the errors of others would fail to?

Now back to Massively as their interviewer clearly requires reproof and correction.

AoC indeed.....it's ASHES.   B)

My good work is never done.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    If nothing this is another proof that there are people still want their mmorpgs to be mmorpgs.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • killmaxskikillmaxski Member UncommonPosts: 25

Elminzter said:

imo 750k to develop a mmorpg is unrealistic take a look at crowfall and camelot unchained, something does not add up...

The rest is already being backed by the dev team from my understanding. This kickstarter was just to add additional things the community showed interested for. I could be wrong tho, was following this but bought into Pantheon instead.