Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation - Ashes Crushed KickStarter. What Next? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageAshes of Creation - Ashes Crushed KickStarter. What Next? - MMORPG.com

This week Tim Eisen takes a tongue-in-cheek look at how Ashes of Creation crushed it’s Kickstarter campaign in a single day! He looks at what their Kickstarter performance means and offers some post campaign advice.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I will be watching it for sure.

So far I like what they are doing.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited May 2017
    Still watching and yet to see any detail on game play video, combat direction, classes, crafting. We know they have nodes and I will say that part sounds awesome but you could have had  pledge from my wife and I as well. So we sit back and watch. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited May 2017
    Now the fun starts!

Should be good for the next 3-4 years...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    imo 750k to develop a mmorpg is unrealistic take a look at crowfall and camelot unchained, something does not add up...
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Well... for the sake of us getting a great game to play, I hope they are as competent at developing as they obviously are at kickstarting.

I mean, no one does crowdfunding better than Chris Roberts, amiright? :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I think most of them are worth watching, it's the paying part that is problematic. That part seems better suited to those who can't find current games to enjoy.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ShadowvenShadowven Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Tim,

There are some deep reasoning to me to why I supported and backed AoC. I think you should back it. I have been in the AoC discord channel for a while now and have seen how interactive the devs, especially Mr. Steven S., communicates with his fanbase. I am super hyped about the game and have grown to really appreciate Steven and his honesty and openness to the community. Being that he has gained my trust and has enough money to actually start his own mmo tells me a lot about him.

So i backed it because i love what this game stands for and where there great Idea is going.

Steven said in the kickstarter page: "And finally, in the case that Ashes of Creation does NOT launch, we promise to refund all backers in full."

So what are we to lose?

Elminzter said:

imo 750k to develop a mmorpg is unrealistic take a look at crowfall and camelot unchained, something does not add up...

Eliminzter, The game is already privately funded. The kickstarter is for bonus material and to help growth.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Nanfoodle said:

Still watching and yet to see any detail on game play video, combat direction, classes, crafting. We know they have nodes and I will say that part sounds awesome but you could have had  pledge from my wife and I as well. So we sit back and watch. 

Well, they have listed the classes and there is a video with combat against some mobs.

The only issue I see is that I haven't seen anything with "lots of people" around. A group going to a dungeon delve, etc. Or a city with a lot of people.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Shadowven said:

Elminzter said:

Eliminzter, The game is already privately funded. The kickstarter is for bonus material and to help growth.

Funded for the "core" product.  What exactly is considered in scope of the core product and what is excluded?  What is the budget for this "core" product?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited May 2017

Shadowven said:

Elminzter said:

Funded for the "core" product.  What exactly is considered in scope of the core product and what is excluded?  What is the budget for this "core" product?

Slapshot,

I don't know the $$ budget, you should ask John Moore, he is the CFO (Chief Financial Officer).
    edited May 2017
    Well To those who want more information and want to stay active with the AoC community and Dev's.

Join the discord channel =D: https://discord.gg/AshesOfCreation

Want to join the AoC Community:  https://www.ashesofcreation.com/

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

Shadowven said:

Elminzter said:

Quoted from the KS FAQ, it says:

"The core product can be delivered with our current capital and the crowdfunding goal."

So technically.... the current capital AND the initial $750k KS goal are what is needed to fund the core game.

In their KS promo video, however,  (starting at the 10:17 mark) they say basically what you have written @Shdowven. So, I'm not sure which is true? I would assume the written version is true, as sometimes when you say things they don't always come out perfect.

It may only seem like a slight distinction, but I think it's important to keep it accurate.
    --------------------------------------------
    edited May 2017

Shadowven said:

Well To those who want more information and want to stay active with the AoC community and Dev's.

Want to join the AoC Community: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/

And the true purpose comes out.  His referral link which is against the site rules and gives him 15% of anything you spend.  

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2017
    It'll definitely be interesting to see what they do since they already admitted that they had enough money to fully fund the project before KS. If it turns out well, of course people wont complain, but if it doesn't, the criticism will be justified imo.

Shadowven said:

Shadowven said:

Elminzter said:

Slapshot,

I don't know the $$ budget, you should ask John Moore, he is the CFO (Chief Financial Officer).

So you are stating they are fully funded but dont actually know what they are funded for or what that includes or excludes. Your next post is a referral link where you get paid real money when people use your link.

Enlightening!

Shadowven said:

Want to join the AoC Community: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/

And the true purpose comes out.  His referral link which is against the site rules and gives him 15% of anything you spend.  

Sorry, Slapshot.  I didn't know it was against forum rules. I will remove link and you were wrong. Wasn't my intention. My intention is to give people information on the game and link it, why not link my referral while giving link to page. Anyway you mispoke without evidence. I hope people Join the community

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    ill buy and sub. if its good,waiting for B) release
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Let's ensure we have a few items secured for posterity.

This project will be delivered by December 2018.

It has been privately funded and this kickstarter was primarily for marketing, polishing, and growing a few remaining portions of the game.

It is not MLM or a pyramid scheme according to quite a few people.

The game has been in pre-alpha for a long time and there are in-game videos of gameplay.

Alright, sounds good guys, at least Dec 2018 isn't too far away so I can't wait to see what they have ready to go gold by then, y'know the "core" product. The next few years will be interesting to watch as some high profile kickstarter games should be releasing or close to it. I've got popcorn and money ready. The money is if one of these projects actually releases with promised features with a high level of quality, and the popcorn is for it they tumble like jenga.

• belocbeloc Member UncommonPosts: 14
    If you do a little research you will find that Steve Sharifs mother has made a fortune with a company called Xango. And if you look at John Moore and Steven Sharif themselves, they dont seem to be hurting for funds either.. I would have to guess that this has been "self funded" up to this point and as they said, this is for fluff. Thats just my opinion doing some general research and assumptions.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

There is an interview on Massively that answers many questions people are asking here

And a damn good, informative interview at that:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/05/04/ashes-of-creations-steven-sharif-on-his-business-history-30m-funding-goal-and-pvp/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

There is an interview on Massively that answers many questions people are asking here

http://massivelyop.com/2017/05/04/ashes-of-creations-steven-sharif-on-his-business-history-30m-funding-goal-and-pvp/

I keep getting a 502 error at massively and I'm stuck on my phone.  Can someone summarize?

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I don't support Kickstarters anymore. We'll see where this is in a few years. I'm sure I'll forget about it for the most part.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited May 2017

Iselin said:

I keep getting a 502 error at massively and I'm stuck on my phone.  Can someone summarize?

Sure! The www.massivelyop.com website is currently down atm (not just for your phone). :lol:
    --------------------------------------------