Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO Launching on Steam May 24th - Black Desert Online - MMORPG.com

Comments

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    No thanks. Between BDO's ridiculous cash shop prices, horrible RNG mechanics, constant desync issues, and server instability making it a nightmare for life skill players; I can safely say I will never play that game again.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2017

Nyctelios said:

When millions of Steam users get exposed to BDO and get slapped in the face with a "sorry you cant play our game, scrub" there will be blood, figuratively lol.

Hopefully exposing BDO on Steam will get them to remove the region lock and license the damn thing globally like every normal mmorpg. But launching on Steam hasnt been a saving grave for some mmos so wait and see.

Games with region lock like Secret World don't let you see their page. An orange message saying "Sorry this content is locked to your region" shows up - which is not the case (for me) with BDO, so far.

People still become aware of it launching on Steam. I remember a friend of mine wanted to buy Resident Evil 5 on sale but Steam didnt show it on his region, instead he was seeing Devil May Cry. He got on my  PC using Team Viewer and bought RE5 to his account from my PC. Many people do that, and when they realise they cant log in to an mmo after having potentially paid for it... all i can say is at least Steam refunds exist. My thoughts.

But, to add to your point, it doesnt make much sense to release on Steam, if the same people will just re-download it on Steam because nobody else would see it.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Tiller said:

Next I bet will be XBL and/or PSN if they can get some controller options working.

They already confirmed working on a Console version, so no betting necessary. :pleased:

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Tiller said:

Next I bet will be XBL and/or PSN if they can get some controller options working.

They already confirmed working on a Console version, so no betting necessary. :pleased:

Plus controllers work on PC too, thats how i play it  B)
    wingood

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Have they fixed the issue with AMD GPUs? I don't want to run an older driver version such 16.x to accommodate one game. You'd think Steam might have some demands on something like that? But probably not as long as they make their cash.

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• CylintCylint Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Go Back! It's a trap!

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    I got the feeling its going to be an IP Blocked.  

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/263-omg-ip-block-confirmed/&page=9

28 Feb 2016

Dear players,

To answer your inquiry about the IP block of areas outside our territory license agreement with Pearl Abyss, we’d like to give a proper statement about this matter.

As our Terms of Service point out, our territory license agreement with the developer Pearl Abyss is limited to the following areas:

• Europe
      • Excluding Turkey and part of Russia
    • North America
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • United States of America

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I can see from the company's perspective being willing to only get 70 cents on the dollar if they're tapping a potential customer base that they can't easily get at directly.

What I have a hard time seeing is why anyone who is aware of BDO and that you can buy it directly from them would choose to go through Steam. Maybe some MMOs can be gotten cheaper that way but of the ones I've played that are available on Steam I have never seen a Steam sale that wasn't matched by direct sales through the developer and I have seen some developer sales that were not matched by Steam.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Aori said:

I get why they won't let old users use Steam.. they already gotcha, they don't want you spending money via Steam.

However, it is still bullshit. It still pisses me off I couldn't link FFXIV to Steam. Now I can't link BDO. Actually you can't link ESO either. Screw you MMO companies.

You can with ESO. When you first run the game after installing it via Steam, you select the option that says something like "I already have an ESO account' and log in with your existing credentials. Your account is now linked and you are auto logged in from that point forward. I never had to create another account.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited May 2017
    postlarval said:
    Many? Of the top-ten rated released games on MMORPG.com, only two are NOT on Steam, with BDO about to move to Steam.

[NO] Guild Wars 2
    [YES] Final Fantasy XIV
    [YES] Secret World Legends
    [YES] Elder Scrolls Online
    [NO] AD2460
    [SOON] Black Desert Online
    [YES] Rift
    [YES] Warframe
    [YES] Smite
    [YES] Darkfall: Unholy Wars

You put against the list of the biggest MMO's (most sales/profit) and it's different:
    1. League of Legends > No
    2. Crossfire > No
    3. Dungeon Fighter Online > Yes
    4. World of Warcraft > No
    5. World of Tanks > No
    6. Dota 2 > Yes
    7. Lineage 1 > No
    8. Blade and Soul > No
    9. Mapplestory > No
    10. SWTOR > No

You can look at it from many ways, from popularity to profitability, to the population, and the results will be different. On this case showing the most profitable (and some of the biggest on player pops) MMO's reside outside Steam.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Ayah why people lol at my writing a review for BDO ? I honestly think it's  good game and I enjoyed all the life skills and really loved planting the products, harvesting them and trading the crates for profits by going the furthest with my wagons. I was so excited making the wagons for the first time when I finally collected all the resources for it. Some I even gathered myself not using the workers. 

The beauty of BDO for me isn't the PvP it is the ability to decide for myself what I want to do each time I log on. I could decide today I am going to open this node or breed my horses or train them by going on a trade run and using the horses on the wagon. I found that unlike some MMORPGs that offer you nothing besides dungeon crawling and levelling up by fighting this game gave me other choices when I play and I think that deserves a good review from me.

I did not realise that people considered Steam users in such poor light as to warrant a remark about lumping then on some servers and that they diminish the quality of the community somewhat. I have been a member of Steam for some years but I must admit that although I play games there I have not participated in the online community in any game but I always found their discussion forums on the games I have posted questions, to be very helpful and kind.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited May 2017

cheyane said:

I did not realise that people considered Steam users in such poor light as to warrant a remark about lumping then on some servers and that they diminish the quality of the community somewhat. I have been a member of Steam for some years but I must admit that although I play games there I have not participated in the online community in any game but I always found their discussion forums on the games I have posted questions, to be very helpful and kind.

I don't find the steam community forums for various games to be particularly different from any other community on most forums, this one included (and I browse lots of forums on and off steam all the time).  I think that's just people being elitist and pretending they're better than everyone else with no true evidence to back it up.
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I never understand why a MMO going to steam is "big news". If you look at other MMOs who went to steam the initial reaction is always "HELL YES BRUH MORE PEOPLE". But people already know these games exist. What's the big deal? You might see a spike in population at first because "eh, it's been awhile. I'll give it another try", it doesn't last. I don't want to pick on you Wildstar, but I'm looking at you. BDO is in a healthy spot right now pop wise, I don't think this will change much, if at all.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited May 2017

Blazeyer said:

I never understand why a MMO going to steam is "big news". If you look at other MMOs who went to steam the initial reaction is always "HELL YES BRUH MORE PEOPLE". But people already know these games exist. What's the big deal? You might see a spike in population at first because "eh, it's been awhile. I'll give it another try", it doesn't last. I don't want to pick on you Wildstar, but I'm looking at you. BDO is in a healthy spot right now pop wise, I don't think this will change much, if at all.

I would say that's not true.

From my time hanging out at PAX and speaking to people about mmo's, most gamers don't know what' out there. Heck, When I was waiting in line for my first peak at Elder Scrolls Online I was having conversations with the people around me and they knew World of Warcraft and Star Wars the Old Republic and that's about it.

Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Aori said:

Aori said:

I get why they won't let old users use Steam.. they already gotcha, they don't want you spending money via Steam.

However, it is still bullshit. It still pisses me off I couldn't link FFXIV to Steam. Now I can't link BDO. Actually you can't link ESO either. Screw you MMO companies.

You can with ESO. When you first run the game after installing it via Steam, you select the option that says something like "I already have an ESO account' and log in with your existing credentials. Your account is now linked and you are auto logged in from that point forward. I never had to create another account.

You still have to buy the game again though in that scenario. Also this wasn't originally possible, it was a big hub bub when it went on Steam.

You have to buy any MMO you want integrated on Steam regardless of wether or not you purchased it previously, unless it's F2P. Also, it wasn't that big of a deal when it went to Steam. The usual suspects with their usual whines.

The rest just shrugged, realizing it wasn't required and you could add it as a non-Steam game. Personally I just bought it again, mainly because I prefer the auto-update feature of Steam. I logged in manually using my existing account and once they added the linking, I didn't gave to do that anymore. I never used the key to create another account. 

I'd hardly call it something that should cause a "big hub bub", except with the rage-o-holics and the entitlement babies.

edited May 2017
    This thread already self-proves the steam release is going to be a flame war of epic proportions.

The overall controversy that surrounds BDO is only going to get blown out of proportion on Steam, it's just too much salt :|

MaxBacon said:

This thread already self-proves the steam release is going to be a flame war of epic proportions.

Just wait and see.

Of course it will. The entitlement crowd will whine because they don't want to buy it again, give the game a bad review because they're mad about it (which has nothing to do with the quality of the game), stamp their feet, and have a temper tantrum. In other words, business as usual.
    wingood

edited May 2017
    Nyctelios said:

Hardly so. We can be, most of the times, be a really vocal (like for realzies) minority but we still a minority. Mainstream gamers don't access forums or engage in discussion. They sit down and play. Not that is a bad thing, just pointing it out - We represent little to nothing besides our niche view about it.

Remember that one minority does sound like a majority when they scream loud enough.

The instigation of drama blows things out of proportion, I remember on BDO once the cash shop stuff appeared and the minority screamed so loudly that all we heard is how BDO was dead and everybody had left the game. xD
    edited May 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    But I see your point. I just don't think will be the case with BDO the same way was not the case with EvE nor ESO.

Okay the fair point on the first, though I always see the majority of a player base, as the silent majority, the ones who simply do not care, by norm it is the minorities (both sides) that do clash with each other.

I see the steam community, as community of angry people by default, takes just one flame and everyone is angry, the ones angry at the game, the ones angry at the ones angry at the game, and the ones angry at how everyone is angry at each other.
    edited May 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    The amount of Steam users that just have an account to play f2p titles is absurdly huge. And some just own few games and use it because of the DRM.

For example games like Archeage, Tera and so forth, releasing on Steam yet the player pops are always very weak then what they can manage outside of it. It's partially why I also see MMO's like BDO to not really going to gain much from Steam, side of one initial launch and then a constant decay of steam players.

There are some exceptions to this, like ESO, that had very weak pops for 2 years until the Tamariel expansion.

MaxBacon said:

Nyctelios said:
    The amount of Steam users that just have an account to play f2p titles is absurdly huge. And some just own few games and use it because of the DRM.

For example games like Archeage, Tera and so forth, releasing on Steam yet the player pops are always very weak then what they can manage outside of it. It's partially why I also see MMO's like BDO to not really going to gain much from Steam, side of one initial launch and then a constant decay of steam players.

There are some exceptions to this, like ESO, that had very weak pops for 2 years until the Tamariel expansion.

Which 2 years and which Tamriel "expansion" are you referring to? :)

• ESO launched as sub-only on PC/Mac in the spring of 2014.
    • The steam release was summer 2014.
    • They went B2P in the spring of 2015 when they launched on the XB1/PS4.
    • That's when they got the big population bump by virtue of adding the consoles.
    • There have been no expansions.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited May 2017
    Iselin said:

Oups my confusion. Tamriel Unlimited was when the sub was dropped, but that wasn't when the game pops did bump.

The big pop boost of ESO on steam was on Oct 2016, that was the game's peak 2 years after being on steam.

MaxBacon said:

Iselin said:

Oups my confusion. Tamriel Unlimited was when the sub was dropped, but that wasn't when the game pops did bump.

The big pop boost of ESO on steam was on Oct 2016, now I'm not sure what happened then as the game jumped from 4-6k normal pop to 29k.

That's when they made all mobs everywhere the same level so you could play in any zone in any order, and they dropped alliance restrictions in PVE. Both of which were implemented very well and they got a bump everywhere - direct sales, consoles and steam - just because word got around that the game was much more fun this way... which it is.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited May 2017
    Iselin said:
    That's when they made all mobs everywhere the same level so you could play in any zone in any order, and they dropped alliance restrictions in PVE. Both of which were implemented very well and they got a bump everywhere - direct sales, consoles and steam - just because word got around that the game was much more fun this way... which it is.

The One Tamariel update as @Nyctelios mentioned that's what where I got confused now.

But anyway that was just one example of one of the MMO's able to turn the weak player pops on steam around, instead of the usual decay over time. I personally would doubt BDO can keep a decent player pop on steam after the novelty fades away.

Torval said:

One thing that helped ESO on Steam is that they fixed a lot of their issues. It used to run like ass on Steam. Sometimes Steam and the launcher would fight and require a complete reinstall (80GB of downloads and patches later) which sucked on 10mbit dsl.

Now the Steam integration is really smooth and lovely, other than being locked exclusively to Steam. That's still not lovely. :tongue:

I don't know where you get it's locked to Steam. You can drag the folder in and out of the Steam folder and it will operate either as part of Steam or as a standard game client. It only updates a few files when you move it. Both the standard and Steam-focused launchers are part of the install, regardless of who you get it from.