Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing Microsoft Surface Laptop

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
Microsoft has done it again.  ;)

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I have a tablet Samsung and  Desktops no laptops but this looks nice so if I ever buy one may be this one.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2017
    A competitor to Chromebooks, not a full fledged laptop.

It does look pretty nice but i personally have no use for laptops running mobile apps only so i'll pass. Same reason i never got a chromebook.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited May 2017

It does look pretty nice but i personally have no use for laptops running mobile apps only so i'll pass. Same reason i never got a chromebook.

This is not the Chromebook competitor. That one is coming soon with the Windows Cloud OS.

https://mspoweruser.com/windows-10-s-officially-announced/

Surface will compete with Mac Book.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2017

Recore said:

This is not the Chromebook competitor. That one is coming soon with the Windows Cloud OS.

Are all Surface restricted to windows store apps? or are they compatible with other windows programs? im not a fan of having a laptop that only does the same things my phone does. Thats what im getting from watching videos about this new Surface.

EDIT: ah i got them mixed up, your OP is not the same laptop as the one i was thinking of. My bad, i thought it was the same.

edited May 2017

Recore said:

Are all Surface restricted to windows store apps? or are they compatible with other windows programs? im not a fan of having a laptop that only does the same things my phone does. Thats what im getting from watching videos about this new Surface.

EDIT: ah i got them mixed up, your OP is not the same laptop as the one i was thinking of. My bad, i thought it was the same.

The Surface will also come with the Windows 10 S that is locked to the Windows Store but it will give you the option to upgrade to full Windows. I do not know if you have to pay for the upgrade or if you will just be able to upgrade for free. That is what I would like to know.  

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-cloud-everything-we-know-so-far

Not sure if the Chromebook type device will be locked.. 

Post edited by Mikeha on
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    why I look to that mouse and think I can break it in less then a week?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Recore said:

The Surface will also come with the Windows 10 S that is locked to the Windows Store but it will give you the option to upgrade to full Windows. I do not know if you have to pay for the upgrade or if you will just be able to upgrade for free. That is what I would like to know.  

The upgrade costs. Price has not been revealed, but Windows 10 Pro retails at $199.

Vrika said:

Recore said:

The upgrade costs. Price has not been revealed, but Windows 10 Pro retails at $199.

Oh dear.  :o
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    I would bet on the upgrade being around $100, or more if you want Pro.

Microsoft seems to want to take the Apple/game console business model of taking a cut of sales of third party software rather than having an up front license cost.  That also avoids losing revenue to piracy.  But Microsoft knows that many people who use Windows want the open platform that can run whatever software they want.  Giving people the option to start with the Windows store only version and later upgrade to the "normal" Windows may tempt some people to start with the former, especially those looking for extremely cheap computers so that the Windows license is a considerable fraction of the cost.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    As a long time Macbook Pro owner (since I could afford it, starting in 2001), I had been looking at a Surface Pro since the 4 came out. 

Apple hasn't done much with the MBP line in... a long long time. The overall design hasn't changed a lot since that first MBP I bought, and the chassis hasn't really undergone any change since the Unibody design in 2008. Except on rare occasions, Apple seems to be a generation or two behind on hardware, and I've been willing to accept that on the basis of running OS X relatively trouble free.

But the Surface Pro 4 did have me looking at other options now, for the first time in... forever.

But this Surface event was not enough to draw me back to the dark side. I'll keep running my MBP and see what either late 2017 MBP brings or the Surface Pro 5.

As far as Windows 10 S - bleh. That is exactly what had Gabe Newell and Tim Sweeney up in arms when Microsoft first announced they were integrating a storefront into Windows 8. It will probably do well against Chromebooks, but the educational and developing markets aren't markets I'm particularly interested in. There's been some talk about S gaining traction in Enterprise, but with the amount of third party, in house, and proprietary software I just don't see that happening on a wide scale.

Curious how they only allow you to upgrade from S to the much more expensive Pro edition, and not the typical Home version.

Ridelynn said:
    Curious how they only allow you to upgrade from S to the much more expensive Pro edition, and not the typical Home version.

That's very strange.  If they're charging pro prices for an upgrade, that could end up making people really mad.  Is it possible to just wipe the computer and do a clean install of a Home version purchased elsewhere?
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Can't wait for them to finish the x86 emulator for ARM based CPUs. That's when I see it possible for Microsoft to release a Surface Phone.
    edited May 2017

Upgrading to the full-fledged version of Windows 10 from Windows 10 S only costs $49

https://mspoweruser.com/upgrading-to-the-full-fledged-version-of-windows-10-from-windows-10-s-only-costs-49/

This video says the upgrade will be free for Surface owners if you upgrade before the end of 2017. 

Recore said:

Upgrading to the full-fledged version of Windows 10 from Windows 10 S only costs $49

https://mspoweruser.com/upgrading-to-the-full-fledged-version-of-windows-10-from-windows-10-s-only-costs-49/

This video says the upgrade will be free for Surface owners if you upgrade before the end of 2017. 

In that case, I'd assume that they're charging at least $50 for Windows 10 S.  Otherwise, what's to stop people who want Windows 10 Pro from buying Windows 10 S and doing a $49 upgrade?
    edited May 2017

Quizzical said:

In that case, I'd assume that they're charging at least $50 for Windows 10 S.  Otherwise, what's to stop people who want Windows 10 Pro from buying Windows 10 S and doing a $49 upgrade?

Are they even going to sell Windows S in stores?

They might limit it by only selling Windows 10 S to accepted manufacturers for installation on new PC.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I imagine the Windows 10S will be specifically for students or people who want a cloud book. Much like the Students and Teachers version of software that locks you out of creating stuff commercially. It may also be a transition into a new revenue system with Windows. So big chance OEM only for now, and a free version for the general consumer. $49 upgrade for OEM version and $199 for general consumer. 
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I wouldn't be surprised if 10S is offered free (or at extremely deep discount) for all computers. Being as it's tied to Windows Store, Microsoft could easily make up the revenue stream there. I know that Microsoft has long wanted to get an inexpensive or free edition out so that developing countries (and China) stop using pirated copies of older software they are no longer providing security patches to. I don't think 10S is the correct answer to that problem, but I think that's the route they are going.

I would only expect a discounted upgrade to occur on particular Microsoft hardware models though.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Recore said:

and I would want to use Windows Cloud OS instead of my existing Google cloud ecosystem with my Chromebook why exactly?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I read the 10S browser has Bing for search engine which can't be changed and no other browser can be set as default.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited May 2017

I read the 10S browser has Bing for search engine which can't be changed and no other browser can be set as default.

Idiots! Hate Bing and I won't use their browser so 10S is as good as dead.
    Chamber of Chains

cheyane said:

Idiots!

If I had to use Bing I would throw chairs into windows for sure.

Anytime I find I am searching for something at work accidently using Bing I tend to throw stuff

Torval said:

You can't install other browsers at this point, only Edge, because there aren't any other browsers on the Store. I'm not sure if this is a Microsoft restriction or lack of interest in interop with Mozilla. Google surely isn't going to offer a browser through the store as they keep gutting their existing Chrome browser functionality on Windows.

Don't be fooled by having "browser" options on iOS either. They all use webkit and safari's engine and sandbox implementation. They're essentially UI skins on safari.

Unless Microsoft has locked down Edge (and I haven't tested 10S so I don't know) it's easy to change your default search engine. Settings > Advanced > Search Engine (change) > select one from the list.

There are no other browsers in Microsoft store, because like Apple Microsoft doesn't allow 3rd party engines.

Afaik Microsoft has locked down default search engine on Windows S so that it can't be changed. Also Microsoft has locked down default browser on Windows S so that even if you could install another browser, you could never change it into default browser. That doesn't leave much room for the competitors.

Vrika said:

Torval said:

You can't install other browsers at this point, only Edge, because there aren't any other browsers on the Store. I'm not sure if this is a Microsoft restriction or lack of interest in interop with Mozilla. Google surely isn't going to offer a browser through the store as they keep gutting their existing Chrome browser functionality on Windows.

Don't be fooled by having "browser" options on iOS either. They all use webkit and safari's engine and sandbox implementation. They're essentially UI skins on safari.

Unless Microsoft has locked down Edge (and I haven't tested 10S so I don't know) it's easy to change your default search engine. Settings > Advanced > Search Engine (change) > select one from the list.

There are no other browsers in Microsoft store, because like Apple Microsoft doesn't allow 3rd party engines.

Afaik Microsoft has locked down default search engine on Windows S so that it can't be changed. Also Microsoft has locked down default browser on Windows S so that even if you could install another browser, you could never change it into default browser. That doesn't leave much room for the competitors.

I am a programmer by trade and the day I stopped using Bing was when I could not find answers to a .Net question (a microsoft technology) using Bing but I COULD find it using Google. yup, that was the last straw

SEANMCAD said:

Recore said:

and I would want to use Windows Cloud OS instead of my existing Google cloud ecosystem with my Chromebook why exactly?

Why are you asking me about what you would use? 

You really need to find something to do instead of trolling all post about Microsoft. 

It is making you look really silly at this point. 

edited May 2017

Recore said:

SEANMCAD said:

Recore said:

Why are you asking me about what you would use? 

You really need to find something to do instead of trolling all post about Microsoft. 

It is making you look really silly at this point. 

that is the most evasive answer I have read today I think, a real strong sell on the Windows ecosystem there, confrontation really sells well.
    and believe me the Microsoft ecosystem compared to google is going to need something to pull people in. I am not the only guy with special snowflakes and all who is tied into the google ecosystem. just sayin