Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel Heroes 2016 - It's a Frustrating Time to be a Fan - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    Hope the console port works out because they literally kicked their entire player base in the balls for it. They release only half of their huge update but left the game in shambles until the other half is released 10 months later... I left not sure ill ever come back.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839

Tiamat64 said:

Aeander said:
     Though people want Unworthy Thor as a costume, not a hero.

This.

Carnage has mixed reactions, but the amount of players who are happy for Unworthy Thor as a hero instead of a costume are rather slim (there are a few, but that's about it)

I'm nothing short of baffled by the decision. No one was asking for Unworthy Thor to be a separate character. People wanted a high quality costume for Thor that wasn't Jane Foster. Making him a separate character takes more work, doesn't satisfy the community asking for better Thor costumes, and wastes time that could be spent on developing a more worthwhile hero. 
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Pretty much totally agree with the OP. I've been in the game since beta and this kick in the groin had me uninstall it the other day. It has been nothing but a dog and pony show from the very beginning when it comes to the game's direction and AFAIC the future looks no better. Good luck to them but they'll get no more of my money.
  • MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    cant wait for this game on PS4, already spent $$$ and will spend more
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Nailed it right on the head "reason to login".

I have never been a crazy fanatic super hero fanbois,yes i loved all those Marvel movies and such but nothing crazy like.
    So when i play a game i need way more than a super hero character to excite me,i need a DEEP game.
    What most games do that utilize licensed IP's is simply bank on selling a very low budget game just because it has the IP's,brand name iconic characters.

An example/analogy.I am or have been a hockey fanatic my entire life.I am not going out buying every hockey game just because it might have Wayne Gretzky's picture on the cover or i can play as Sidney Crosby doesn't cut it either.I need a DEEP game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• skywarpgreerskywarpgreer Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Very well written and spot on. 1000hrs for me, stopped playing just before the "big update". I knew the direction they were taking and ive avoided it. Uninstalled it. Since Dave B left and rylnor left nothing has been the same. With Asros taking charge with a lot of silly changes and beyond ridiculous events (pick up junk off the ground, get a useless reward) that are rinsed and repeated every month/weekend. I would love to see DC get a developer who could make a competing title that would crush this title to the bottom of the steam charts.
  • CaptFabulousCaptFabulous Member UncommonPosts: 36
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, I bailed right after the update. The game has just changed too much for me. I've tried a few times to adapt but everything just rubs me the wrong way. Whatever enjoyment I got from playing is gone. No amount of new characters or content is going to change that since as far as I'm concerned the game is fundamentally broken. And clearly I'm not alone as the Steam numbers are plummeting. The console port is basically a hail mary to keep the game alive. I suspect it'll probably be a hit, at least for a year or two before it goes downhill again. But the PC version is dead as a doornail and is likely to never recover.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Thank you very much for writing this article. I was worried that every MH article here was written by people that VERY casually played the game occasionally. Clearly that isn't the case.

I've been unhappy with the game for about 18 months. The BUE was a long time coming and really didn't address the games major issues. I've since moved on to POE leagues and occasionally D3 seasons to scratch my ARPG itch.

I will likely reinstall MH when they add omega items and higher difficulties. But I feel that they need some sort of end game system like POE maps and D3 GRs. Seasons will eventually be required.

I hold up mild hope for the new creative director. But they really need to deliver.
    edited May 2017

Elvoc said:

It sad they are putting so much effort into getting Omega up and running on consoles that they have almost completely forgot about the current fanfare on PC, and some of the small changes coming for PC seem to only get it closer to console. I think its one thing to get a bigger community by adding console by why bite the hand that feeds you on PC?

TheDink, one of the character artists posted on someone's wall that if they hadn't done the console port, she'd be out of a job. All their eggs are in the console basket. 

She's an amazing artist. She accidentally leaked the console port on the forums last year by describing it's PS4 version. they quickly erased all trace of that post and any replies.

They got into trouble on PC not because there isn't a market, POE shows us there is, but due to horrible design decisions and lead developers not grasping what modern ARPG endgame should be. They then started just spitting out mediocre events and one major event that took three months to develop and was only around for a single month. That kind of poor resource management never would have occurred with GGG and POE. They take everything into account when allocating resources.

They got tons of cash to develop the console version but couldn't afford to just have a separate team port the existing game. The devs put their egos and personal desires in front of what was best for the game. They decided everything needed to be rebuilt from the ground up. Which once again showed how quickly they fail to use resources properly.
    Post edited by FrodoFragins on

Very well written and spot on. 1000hrs for me, stopped playing just before the "big update". I knew the direction they were taking and ive avoided it. Uninstalled it. Since Dave B left and rylnor left nothing has been the same. With Asros taking charge with a lot of silly changes and beyond ridiculous events (pick up junk off the ground, get a useless reward) that are rinsed and repeated every month/weekend. I would love to see DC get a developer who could make a competing title that would crush this title to the bottom of the steam charts.

Asros was never even close to being in charge. He was just the items and events guy. He was simply the only dev willing to talk to players regularly.
  • LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274

She's an amazing artist. She accidentally leaked the console port on the forums last year by describing it's PS4 version. they quickly erased all trace of that post and any replies.

They got into trouble on PC not because there isn't a market, POE shows us there is, but due to horrible design decisions and lead developers not grasping what modern ARPG endgame should be. They then started just spitting out mediocre events and one major event that took three months to develop and was only around for a single month. That kind of poor resource management never would have occurred with GGG and POE. They take everything into account when allocating resources.

They got tons of cash to developer the console version but couldn't afford to just have a separate team port the existing game. The devs put their egos and personal desires in front of what was best for the game. They decided everything needed to be rebuilt from the ground up. Which once again showed how quickly they fail to use resources properly.

I agree, and this is why I don't think the console version will do very well.
    The management/leadership of Marvel Heroes has been bad the last year or so. Console release will probably give an infusion of cash to the company, but unless they manage to use that inflow in a great way, I foresee bad things happening.

It's sad, I think the game was really good earlier, while Doomsaw and Brevik was running the show. But now...I use my play-time and money on other games.

• redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Gaz thinks they will be successful on the PS4 port? You can't have good fortune while you are stabbing your PC community in the back. Doomsaw left, Brevik left and Rylnoir left that should have told us something. They jumped ship and washed their hands of the game as they should have. Now look at us, lets just fast forward to the end. They need to shut the game down. Gaz CEO is usless he clearly has no idea what he is doing.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited May 2017

I'm pretty frustrated by the game right now, and the content roadmap they recently posted does nothing to avail myself of that frustration. A handful of terminals, a new DR tileset, two new heroes, and a few limited-time events. We're not getting OMEGA items until September. 

The amount of people that play via Steam has already dropped below 1k, and with their infographic we can surmise that about 80% of the total playtime in the last year was done via Steam. By September there will likely be more staff at Gazillion than there active players. 

They are just putting everything in the console version now. That will be their new focus now. A new market to squeeze people's wallets.

Anyone else thinking otherwise is delusional. Just look at PWE and others who recently ported their MMO's to consoles. It's a new honeypot for them to cash in on new prey.

The PC F2P MMO market is heavily saturated, while on console it just started to thrive.
  • GodzillaX8GodzillaX8 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    The movement changes are awful, especially teleporters. Teleporting now feels like you're turning invisible and jogging through molasses slowly instead of instant and satisfying like it used to be.

Omega system has been completely gutted and replaced with the bland, uninteresting, one size fits all, min-maxxers only infinity system.

If they reverted movement changes and gave us back omega instead of this awful infinity crap, I'd go back to spending $60/month on the game, like I was. Until then, the game can suffer and die for all I care.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I will never go back to MH. That inventory system drove me crazy.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    edited May 2017
    I've been playing MH on PS4.. and based on the beta alone, it seems very busy.  tons of issues, sure,  but all the open areas regardless of level seem to be populated.

I doubt they'll be able to fix everything before open beta.. or launch.  It has plenty of issues... BUT... 

Most console players don't care what happened to the PC version.  Whether they should or shouldn't care doesn't play.  As someone that plays games regardless of platform,  I might know a little more about whats going on with the company..  but the vast majority of PS4 and XB1 players won't think twice about downloading and playing this game,  and even spending money on it which is obvious from what I've seen in game.

I've even seen players running around with the venom suit spiderman and iron fist characters.. these characters have paid over 200 dollars for those characters, so it isn't that console players won't spend money (I've bought a pack myself and a friend of mine bought 2) it's really going back to the article --

What will keep players logging in every day, and will the game be stable enough to create a good experience.

They've withheld content, so they can probably milk the additional content for about 6 months to a year, despite that content being relatively short,  and they have only about half the characters in the game currently which will surely bring people in as they release them.

So they've bought themselves time with the console ports.  I don't have any doubts that the console ports will also far outdo the PC version in terms of sales.  It happened with DCUO,  PSU, .. plenty of others.  It was probably the best move they've made. 

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    What some people may not know who just started playing MH recently is that everything they removed or changed with the BUE took YEARS(caps necessary) to develop. The Omega system took over a year with another year of hype before that building it up. Movement powers came after years of people asking for them on the forums and we should never forget the hero reviews/updates that took months/years+ too.

Why couldn't they have left the PC alone if they weren't planning on transferring any purchases from PC to console? Adding systems that people looked forward to only to remove them and replace them with a low budget d3 copy paste alternative got me and everyone I know to stop playing after thousands of hours logged in.
  • redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Gaz is pissing me off. We have been bamboozled, Gaz are modern day charlatans.
  • DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    edited May 2017
    Why were they so adamant about avoiding character creation? Every time I see this troubled project I ponder this. They secluded most of the mmorpg crowd by doing this. There was a lot of money to be made here, but perhaps more money spend on development.

If they went the mmorpg route, I truly think none of the stuggles would have happened, like the launch. I am aware of the CO's involvement in a MH mmo. However, a full fledged mmorpg placed in the Marvel Universe would have worked. They could have still sold heroes in the store for PVE events, PVP and sidekicks.

What they now have on their hands is MH Ultimate Alliance 3. MH actually resembles a console game imo. I am shocked it lasted this long and I take my hat off to Gazillion, but it aint going to last very long. None of the MH Ultimate Alliances last long in terms of playability.

They are selling off a console action title as a MMO.

Bring on a real marvel mmorpg.