Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I Miss from MMOs - Garrett Fuller at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,122

imageWhat I Miss from MMOs - Garrett Fuller at MMORPG.com

In playing MMOs since Ultima Online there are a long list of reasons why I used to log in every night. As you get older and life kicks in, it becomes harder to find time online. However, there are certain aspects of MMOs that I feel really bring out why we play these games. It is the reason so many independent projects are finding funding now, because we want to play together.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Jaedia88Jaedia88 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    You know, I finally decided to give LotRO a proper go, and I'm amazed that even now, that game still feels very community focused. I'm making friends and feeling like I'm a part of Middle-earth, and I can't really say the same for my personal bread and butter, WoW. I'm so glad that feeling still exists somewhere.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,980
    Nice read.

You're right. There is certainly a "lack of purpose" in modern MMOs. There is almost no social realm anymore. Devs need to make incentives so that players will actually make use of Taverns, INNs, Cantinas, etc. Social skills and features are a huge welcome, e.g., LoTROs playable instruments, SWG's dancing / musician / image designer type classes, etc.
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited May 2017

Jaedia88 said:

You know, I finally decided to give LotRO a proper go, and I'm amazed that even now, that game still feels very community focused. I'm making friends and feeling like I'm a part of Middle-earth, and I can't really say the same for my personal bread and butter, WoW. I'm so glad that feeling still exists somewhere.

Don't miss those trivia times in world chat and the band playing at Bree. Is quite a sight to see in modern gaming people having a good time not cursing your heritage or mocking the career of your mother.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Dauzqul said:

Nice read.

You're right. There is certainly a "lack of purpose" in modern MMOs. There is almost no social realm anymore. Devs need to make incentives so that players will actually make use of Taverns, INNs, Cantinas, etc. Social skills and features are a huge welcome, e.g., LoTROs playable instruments, SWG's dancing / musician / image designer type classes, etc.

Shroud of the Avatar was on the right track, but then they went a added player-owned towns after high-level backers started demanding them, realizing how much money they could make exploiting Garriott's name and the nostalgia of their fans.

Now all the whales built their own little gated communities and hide in them to role-play with each other while the rest of the world is a ghost town.

Giving people the ability to install utilities in their houses also discourages social activities. You should not have access to a banker in your house. Get off your ass and go to the fucking bank. Need a new sword? Go to the blacksmith and craft one.

Players kept demanding convenience and when devs started adding them, the social aspect tanked.

It's our own fault. Anyone on these forums using any mechanism in an MMO that discourages socializing has no right to complain about the lack of it in games.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 854
    edited May 2017
    Planetside. Greatest moments of all time. All you had was each other. Making Auraxis blue again, one bio lab at a time xD

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• edujamedujam Member UncommonPosts: 12
    edited May 2017
    Your article is the main reason we miss city of heroes so much. Log in city was to check what friends were doing, and start a task force, level alts. Once me and a friend started 2 toons on a Friday and did all task forces and many other friends joined us to help us do things by Sunday we hit 50, we did like 60 hours of true play through all the group content with friends. I loved that toon so much, she was a earth/ trick arrow controller, man fun as hell I had 13 aoes and almost all of them was place the crap on the floor and have fun.

Can't believe 5 years have passed and I haven't found anything to fill that hole. I'm on swtor and lol waiting for one of the spirit thing come to live. Can't stand the Korean crap like aion ( one of the first) and now blade and soul, revelations online or black desert. I respect wow but gimme my city back.
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 951
    MMOs post WoW got too far away from the multiplayer aspects that brought people together in the older MMOs. Soloing to level cap (and quickly) linear designs, cross server groups, the over abundance of instancing and just the general lack of needing other players to do things pretty much sunk most games into feeling like a glorified single player RPG with a chat box.

I'm really glad a game like Pantheon: Rise of The Fallen is coming. It gives someone like me who spent years enjoying the developed community, deep systems and less hand holdy years of FFXI (like many other pre-WoW MMOs) and really want to play something like it...even if its not AAA and has a niche audience because at least it's not trying to be yet another either WoW clone or trying to hard with the Action everything we see far too much of these days.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member RarePosts: 792
    edited May 2017
    There is purpose, but it is more at the individual level than that of the group. Even when there is group purpose everything is faster and easier than it once was, making the relationships more about temporary need for the short-term than long-term mutual involvement and support.

For MMORGPs to provide communal experiences like those of the past they will have to give communal activity a more central role as it had in the old days. I don't know, though, that the players of today would wish for the dependence on playing with others that led to the stronger bonds and memories that were more common yesteryear.
  • DhaenonDhaenon Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Talk about reading an article that sums me up.
    I miss not being stuck on a gear treadmill. Playing the game to play. Being in a fantasy world.
    DAOC was my jam back in the day.
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,769
    I have never had a shortage of MMO's to play. They are everywhere. Grouping has never been a problem and finding good communities have never been hard to find. Most older MMO's are still going and new ones are being made as we speak. People wax rhapsodic about the 'good ole days' but to me personally? They never left. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I have never had a shortage of MMO's to play. They are everywhere. Grouping has never been a problem and finding good communities have never been hard to find. Most older MMO's are still going and new ones are being made as we speak. People wax rhapsodic about the 'good ole days' but to me personally? They never left. 

Don't be like that.

There is nothing that compares a "know by name" crafter/stall/seller to modern auction houses.

That kind of facilitation kills the sense of community since, like said above, you just get people to momentary solve problems - people don't care about creating a fame for themselves within the community.

Yes. You may find guilds and communities nowadays but they are nothing but bubbles. They breath their environment, they do stuff together... so? They exist within their structure and that's it.

Every MMO I played back then (and that I still play to this day, and some few modern exceptions) had this sense of "server scale" when you would talk about content or progression... Now? The most "server-wide" feeling of reach you would have is "my guild was the X to do Y". How is that interaction with community?

I played some pretty bad mmorpgs in my past, but at least they had the multiplayer aspect figured out instead of optional co-op or forced dungeons you find today.

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,287

Nyctelios said:

Don't be like that.

There is nothing that compares a "know by name" crafter/stall/seller to modern auction houses.

That kind of facilitation kills the sense of community since, like said above, you just get people to momentary solve problems - people don't care about creating a fame for themselves within the community.

Yes. You may find guilds and communities nowadays but they are nothing but bubbles. They breath their environment, they do stuff together... so? They exist within their structure and that's it.

Every MMO I played back then (and that I still play to this day, and some few modern exceptions) had this sense of "server scale" when you would talk about content or progression... Now? The most "server-wide" feeling of reach you would have is "my guild was the X to do Y". How is that interaction with community?

I played some pretty bad mmorpgs in my past, but at least they had the multiplayer aspect figured out instead of optional co-op or forced dungeons you find today.

All comes down to how selective one is on their gameplay preferences and value they place on social interactions within a game.

Those with broader tastes or are naturally more social don't comprehend the issue or understand what many see clearly has been lost.

Some are also intentionally obtuse for the sake of being contrarian.

BTW, Blue's not in the latter category.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited May 2017

Nyctelios said:

Don't be like that.

That you find today? Nearly all of the games from back in the day are still running. Project 99, PG, even a private Vanguard server is up and running plus there are a few games being made that are catering to the 15 to 20 year old game fan. My character name is still known in EQ2 for crafting and now in Bless as well.
    All this doom and gloom is tiring. The sky is not falling. 
    Though I do admit that a certain type of player has been left behind in recent years but that time is coming to an end. Ever new MMO I see in development is saying the same exact thing. Back to old school. Those player's time is coming to the front once more.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 663
    This is the outcome of MMOs putting the focus on solo play. Some of us seen this coming ages ago, and whined about it at length. You're late to the party. Welcome :)

Avarix said:

This is the outcome of MMOs putting the focus on solo play. Some of us seen this coming ages ago, and whined about it at length. You're late to the party. Welcome :)

That was kind of my point as well.
    I personally have no trouble finding games to play, MMO or otherwise, but I do understand the 'want' people have to find a game they like. To be honest every genre of game is that way. Not just MMOs. I was bummed about old school shooters not being made anymore and how every new shooter released was like COD but now the tide has turned again and old school shooters are coming back in style.
    Gaming and it's many genres are cyclical. What was once popular will be popular again. We are starting to see more games being developed that cater to a group mindset again. Just like before. It all comes around. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• XodicXodic Member RarePosts: 933
    According to many posts that I read, the 'purpose' of an MMORPG is for the company to make money. Therefore, when your 'purpose' is in doubt, just click the cart icon and buy your avatar a hat.
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 237
    I've always been a fan of MMOs that allow you -- as a specific player -- to become notable for your character's power. In Lineage 1, we would recognize others by name -- because the community was small enough. Guilds/pledges were feared only for the players they recruited. If a notably powerful player left on his own, you'd still have to watch out for him because that's how the game's damage system and character stats were coded. Nobody could deal 3 digits worth of damage unless their character was super powerful. And health bars didn't easily exceed 600 hp.

But this was back when I was a child. Games today -- such as WoW -- make 6 million dps look like nothing. It really makes DPS seem pointless.
  • LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited May 2017
    Nice article Garrett. I can totally relate. I miss a lot of the social systems that were built into earlier games like Star Wars Galaxies. I'm not talking about the state of current emu's where you can have 10 alts that do everything on a macro. Rather, I'm referring to when the game was live and you could only have like 2 toons per server and a finite amount of skill points so you had to rely on others. I was playing ESO earlier today and I realized that almost all of my crafting skills were up to 50 without even really trying to level them ... this would have been impossible in a game like SWG. Maybe I've got rose colored glasses on, but I do miss the atmosphere of the cantinas in SWG when 50 players were gathered around buffing, talking, dancing, playing music, and forming groups. Good times.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 8,893
    What ever you are looking for is out there.

Its up to you to play and support it.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,122

edujam said:

I respect wow but gimme my city back.

Here here! It was the community and being a superhero I missed the most. What's left are just gear grinds and games where we are pretty much extraordinary yet ordinary folks. I've tried other games but none have the community of CoH and I'm not sure I every will again.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,389
    edited May 2017
    I find that the larger the game is, the harder is it to feel part of the in-game community. For me the funnest guild experience was in the tiniest of games (MO). Everyone knew eachother and guilds had rivalries that lasted years...i find this almost impossible to replicate in a large community. Cross server and random group ques completly destroy communities even further.
    edited May 2017

Nyctelios said:

Don't be like that.

That you find today? Nearly all of the games from back in the day are still running. Project 99, PG, even a private Vanguard server is up and running plus there are a few games being made that are catering to the 15 to 20 year old game fan. My character name is still known in EQ2 for crafting and now in Bless as well.
    All this doom and gloom is tiring. The sky is not falling. 
    Though I do admit that a certain type of player has been left behind in recent years but that time is coming to an end. Ever new MMO I see in development is saying the same exact thing. Back to old school. Those player's time is coming to the front once more.

The games I played back in the day are all offline now or with private servers only.

I agree with you on the rest.

I did not mean it to be a doom and gloom and I'm sorry if it passes said tone. Just wanted to point out that the actual trend is "facilitation" and not the global cooperation that was the standard in the games I played.

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,650
    edited May 2017
    I don't miss any of this as I've been playing with the same guild and core group of people for 16 years now.

The only MMO I don't play with my guild is BDO.

You can still join a guild and have a purpose TODAY - just need to find a solid guild as one thing that has changed is there are so many garbage guilds nowdays.

When joining a guild - ask for the ones that have been around for 10+ years for example.

The reason why things have changed is not because of MOBAs and arena games - no - what those games have pointed out is - the real change - and that is *HOW* players play today is different than 10+ years ago.

yep - today the majority of players don't devote all their time to a single game, nor do they spend ridiculous hours playing a single game.

That's what has changed - the players - and MMOs have adapted to cater to their games being played in smaller chunks

But you can still play heavy guild-focused games - that exists today, just need to play the right MMOs with the right guild.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 951
    edited May 2017
    @DMKano "yep - today the majority of players don't devote all their time to a single game, nor do they spend ridiculous hours playing a single game."

DO you mean this sarcastically? I'm not 100% sure tbh. If you are serious then you arer very much wrong. MOBAs are one of the very prime examples of games that people sink thousands of hours into and almost play almost exclusively. Same goes for games like Minecraft that people play as much as an MMO and either dont buy much else or focus most of their time into that single game. I know quite a few personal examples of kids and some younger adults that do just that.

Hell you dont even need my personal experiences, just look at the massively popular twitch/youtube channels that have millions of viewers and how dedicated people of many ages are to them.
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,650

zanfire said:

@DMKano "yep - today the majority of players don't devote all their time to a single game, nor do they spend ridiculous hours playing a single game."

DO you mean this sarcastically? I'm not 100% sure tbh. If you are serious then you arer very much wrong. MOBAs are one of the very prime examples of games that people sink thousands of hours into and almost play almost exclusively. Same goes for games like Minecraft that people play as much as an MMO and either dont buy much else or focus most of their time into that single game. I know quite a few personal examples of kids and some younger adults that do just that.

Hell you dont even need my personal experiences, just look at the massively popular twitch/youtube channels that have millions of viewers and how dedicated people of many ages are to them.

I was specifically talking about MMORPGs - majority don't stick around for long.

MOBAs - yep there are players who only play MOBAs

Minecraft is a very unique because it runs on anything and is very kid friendly (and is also a damn good sandbox)

But think about MMORPGs - the masses play for 2-6 weeks and move on, leaving a small dedicated core playerbase.