Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO Launching on Steam May 24th - Black Desert Online - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBDO Launching on Steam May 24th - Black Desert Online - MMORPG.com

Black Desert Online News - It's been announced today via press release that Kakao Games and Pearl Abyss are bringing their hit MMORPG Black Desert Online to Steam on May 24th.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Ahh they have jumped on the Steam train that will open this game up considerably. I must write a good review for them when they do because I do love this game.
    Chamber of Chains
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited May 2017
    I will leave a negative review until XingCode is removed from the game.

Also I wonder why this game even is allowed to be hosted when it very likely to my knowledge violates European Laws by installing non required  3rd party software that is unable to be uninstalled through the control panel and requires some knowledge on how to remove it.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Did pretty well with out it should help loads more.

Shocked they weren't on steam already tbh, any reason?

• eruexeeruexe Member UncommonPosts: 40
    still ip blocked.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

Herase said:

Steam approval process can take a long time if you aren't an already approved publisher.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Herase said:

Selling via Steam costs money, and Pearl Abyss were most likely trying to maximise their profits.

Sales of the game are no doubt declining now, so they've opted to go for the Steam listing, because that gives the game wider exposure.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

azarhal said:

Herase said:

Steam approval process can take a long time if you aren't an already approved publisher.

That and no one likes giving Steam 30% off the top. But the market place is big, so it can be worth it.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The biggest reason is the cut Steam takes from sales. This is why many MMO's avoid steam.

I'm not sure how well can BDO do on Steam, the game easily drags over-emotional flame wars with it, and the steam community is self-fueled on that aspect.
  • MelgarothMelgaroth Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I am a little hesitant to approve of this move simply because currently the game is VERY popular without Steam's help and the servers are really taking a beating at the moment. Last weekends siege's were almost unplayable for most people the lag was so bad.

Besides all that i'm excited more people will be exposed to BDO, imho the best MMO to be released in awhile and the only one i've played as consistently as I did vanilla WoW.
    wingood
  • GoobearGoobear Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Looks like Striker is releasing same day or before hand being its the 13th class
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2017
    Sounds like its making its preparations to go f2p in the future. If it happens, I did say this would be the best f2p game of 2017.
  • kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130
    blah, I hate when games go to steam but wont let you use your non-steam account.

This seems to be another one of those
  • SpagexSpagex Member CommonPosts: 1
    So will there be any way for all of us that bought the game outside of steam to activate it via steam or do we have to buy the game again?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Albatroes said:

Sounds like its making its preparations to go f2p in the future. If it happens, I did say this would be the best f2p game of 2017.

Its a B2P game not a P2P one, so i really would not hold your breath on that one. :p
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Phry said:

Albatroes said:

Its a B2P game not a P2P one, so i really would not hold your breath on that one. :p

So was Secret World? Now its going F2P....
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

azarhal said:

Herase said:

That and no one likes giving Steam 30% off the top. But the market place is big, so it can be worth it.

That too.
  • DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157
    @Goobear - Striker is the 14th class for BDO.

Probably one of the only games I hate to see show up on steam. BDO community is..... different as is but not bad or overly toxic. We all seem to understand the issues with the game but we still love it. Chan chat is always running a good rate whether it be discussions of the newest class, looking for new grinding spots, laughing at other players failed tet attempts, or just talking about randomness.

I fear the steam community will bring the call of duty attitude to the game...
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Next I bet will be XBL and/or PSN if they can get some controller options working.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• idontlikemynameidontlikemyname Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Still IP block
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

MaxBacon said:

The biggest reason is the cut Steam takes from sales. This is why many MMO's avoid steam.

I'm not sure how well can BDO do on Steam, the game easily drags over-emotional flame wars with it, and the steam community is self-fueled on that aspect.

Many? Of the top-ten rated released games on MMORPG.com, only two are NOT on Steam, with BDO about to move to Steam.

[NO] Guild Wars 2
    [YES] Final Fantasy XIV
    [YES] Secret World Legends
    [YES] Elder Scrolls Online
    [NO] AD2460
    [SOON] Black Desert Online
    [YES] Rift
    [YES] Warframe
    [YES] Smite
    [YES] Darkfall: Unholy Wars

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    edited May 2017

MaxBacon said:

Many? Of the top-ten rated released games on MMORPG.com, only two are NOT on Steam, with BDO about to move to Steam.

[NO] Guild Wars 2
    [YES] Final Fantasy XIV
    [YES] Secret World Legends
    [YES] Elder Scrolls Online
    [NO] AD2460
    [SOON] Black Desert Online
    [YES] Rift
    [YES] Warframe
    [YES] Smite
    [YES] Darkfall: Unholy Wars

talk about skewing data to fit an agenda.

all that list proves is that the most profitable MMO's aren't on Steam. . .
    with the exception of Final Fantasy 14, all those MMO's came to Steam months after their release to.

and Lol at this sites rating system. . .like that means anything. . .  I expect to see is some Steamcharts next. . .
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

Renoaku said:

I will leave a negative review until XingCode is removed from the game.

Also I wonder why this game even is allowed to be hosted when it very likely to my knowledge violates European Laws by installing non required  3rd party software that is unable to be uninstalled through the control panel and requires some knowledge on how to remove it.

Xing Code?

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• LogumLogum Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Well, i waited this for long time.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Torval said:

Yep, that's the way it works with ESO too. I can't even buy stuff from the ZoS/ESO website without going through Valve. I couldn't tie a Morrowind purchase outside of Steam to my ESO Steam account. I'm not a fan of the practice.

I'd assume it's related to promotions, like steam related DLC starter packages and the like. So only steam users get them pushing a greater possibility for sales on steam going forward. I know they do that kind of thing with other MMOs. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2017
    When millions of Steam users get exposed to BDO and get slapped in the face with a "sorry you cant play our game, scrub" there will be blood, figuratively lol.

Hopefully exposing BDO on Steam will get them to remove the region lock and license the damn thing globally like every normal mmorpg. But launching on Steam hasnt been a saving grave for some mmos so wait and see.