Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much of a chance with you give Pantheon?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited April 2017
    Personally, I usually give games until about level 20-30 before I make any major decisions about whether to continue playing.

Unless, the UI sucks. Then I give it about an hour. But I see no reason to think Pantheon's UI will suck. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    How could anyone answer this until they actually play the game?

MrMelGibson

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

+1 on this,

I'm all over this game yet, who knows ?
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Any answer except for the last three means you're a clueless fanboy.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

+1 on this,

I'm all over this game yet, who knows ?

You post a thread about this game about once every 20 minutes and you aren't even able to say if you intend to play through the trial period? Lmao. 
    MrMelGibson

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136
    I'll check it out in a beta test that I don't have to pay for.  If that doesn't happen, I'd have to see a lot more of the game through videos/streams as well as see the cost of the game to decide if it is worth it for me.  I did like the original EQ so I'm slightly more interested than I would be in general.  Even so, I have a lot of rl 'hobbies' I'm dedicated to so my time investment would be small.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Since they say they will have a trial period, there's not much to say aside from I'll know once I play a little. 
    MrMelGibson

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• jairusjairus Member UncommonPosts: 175
    edited April 2017
    It failed it's kickstarter by a lot. after the kickstarter failure and the website funding began. Brad took money from it to use for personal stuff. coke. the dev team went through tons of changes. they are using unity assets for everything. i'm giving it a high chance of failure, and high chance of being extremely buggy.
    I'm not even going to buy it at release, maybe a few months later if it's still going. That's if it even makes it to release.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Like others, there's just too many variables.  Including cost, though that may be a bigger factor with me than with most.

My intention is to give this game a try, but only when it is released.  I intend to stay to see what, if anything, is new -- features, systems, ideas, etc.  I don't expect to be a long term player, or even if I will purchase anything, but I am willing to see if they can amaze me.
    MrMelGibson

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128
    For the moment i'm enjoying a lot the hype... it requieres not much time and i have fun waiting and of course reading and watching about the process.

I'm sure it wont happen but i would be very dissapointed if they release another game. Another the same game again.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    As long as it's what they say it is. My plan is to stay here for years. I gave EQ1 6 years, DAoC 3, WoW 6. I hope to do the same here. 
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I played Vanguard for months and months after running out of content shortly after launch, waiting for raid content to be added. If that's the case in Pantheon, I won't be doing that again.

And I don't think it will be. The Pantheon devs have learned a lot from the mistakes with Vanguard.
    --------------------------------------------
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    This game looks like something that won't be out until 2019, there is so much talk about placeholders, first iterations that for it to release in 2018 its going to be a disaster launch.

What they have shown so far is far from impressive, so much tank & spank that is slow but not strategic. The much hyped environment system feels underwhelming. The same old diku-mud progression system. While there are certain aspects that have become lost with the modern era of mmorpg you can't just pick the old stuff without adding innovative gameplay together with it.

My biggest disappointment is the healer, they don't seem to have any ideas on how to improve the role and instead go with the same old, same old. It looks horribly dull.

Pantheon doesn't look like the game that will make me return to the mmorpg genre.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited May 2017
    Not planning on playing it. So far it looks terrible. If people actually end up giving positive feedback post release, I'll check it out like the other million MMOs I check out.
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

You forgot an option:

- for as long as I have fun playing the game.

MrMelGibson

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

Rhoklaw said:

Pantheon... EQ successor. No cash shop. Paid subscription. Multitude of races and classes. Focused on group play. Classes with specific roles. Improved mob AI. New Mana and Environment systems.

It's a classic gem, that isn't trying to prove anything other than the fact it's an MMO that makes sense. Well, for those of us who used to play D&D anyways.

Used to play D&D?

I still run Pathfinder every Saturday night.

Benjamin Franklin

edited May 2017

DMKano said:

As far as OP goes - majority of MMO players stick around for 2-6 weeks before moving on.

I still play EQ / EQ2 and I played CoH and Vanguard until they shut the servers down.

If Pantheon can meet my expectations and keep the servers running, I'll still be playing 15-20 years from now.

Unless AR/VR really takes off, I'm out of 2D MMOs if something like SAO becomes available within my lifetime.

Benjamin Franklin

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i want good action combat and these games dont have it so it will have to be very special for me to buy it.
    i would rather play a game from a big developer with good combat and that is flashy like GW2 or ESO than average game play and a more in-depth character.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Torval said:

If some friends want to play then I'll play. I'm not going in solo looking to build an entirely new social network from the get go though. If my friends don't want to play then it's a pass.

Of all the up and coming games it's more likely that I would try AoC (ashes of creation) or CU (camelot unchained). Even though they're both pvp games (or have major pvp aspects) they also tout other non-combat group activities. I like the idea that a social group is more than just being about combat and dungeon runs.

We'll see when I can actually play one and if any of my friends want to play them. If not I'll stick to my old mmos (lotro, eso, swtor).

Ashes has me looking into what they are doing. I need more info before I jump but the DAoC gamer in me thinks the PvP could have some depth. I like there to be big reasons to PvP other then just to get on a leader board. 
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    I will almost certainly buy it and give it a go.  If it's fun i stay, if not I go. 
    It absolutely has to be fun from the start, and it has to work well enough that it doesnt lose most of its players like vanguard did.
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited May 2017
    I'm not sure yet. I'm so niche. Hand holding and too much ease is my biggest gripe. But Pantheon is different because it has Brad McQuad's aura and all of the fans of those games. I might give it some mercy even if I don't like some things. For example, I don't like fancy maps or radars or similar. But I might make a special case for Pantheon if it has other things appeal to me, since I also know it's god awfully difficult to find MMORPGs in modern times that don't flay themselves for the king.

Sadly I think most gamers try this game on release will quit. Many of themn THINK they want something more old school, but soon as htey try the cold hard reality will bear on them. What's so surprising to me is they don't get a clue right now and save themsevles the pain. It shouldn't be a shock if Pantheon isn't as innovative as you like or as friendly as you want. As I stated already, it has Brad's aura all over it. While he's definitely stated in interviews this game will be more friendly, it should be understand "friendly" in his Brad's language is something like patting you on teh back smiling and shoving you into the crocodile waters whilst imitating Steve McQueen.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    edited May 2017
    Way too early to tell for me.
    I like oldschool gameplay, but I am also oldschool in terms of "make the game first, then I will judge&pay&play"
    Double oldschool ftw.

MrMelGibson
  • ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Well, here is what I am gonna say, when it goes live, I'll buy it and play it... now, since it is B2P w/subscription, that's gonna be kinda daunting.

However, unless the just made something truly amazing, I am gonna bet I'll be done with the game by the end of the first month, when my subscription wears out.

But, I'll at least give them that chance.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I'm watching the development.  Complimenting what I feel they have done well.  I'm also not afraid to look at it from a different perspective and ask questions that fanboys might not want to hear.  Right now I have no real plans for this mmo.  When it's closer to launch (not alpha or EA etc.), I'll make a decision then.  I'm definitely interested and see potential.  I'm just not completely sold that it will launch.  Till then, I'll just keep an eye out on any news worthy updates.
    [Deleted User]
  • Peco115Peco115 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Going to be my home for a long time.
    Dullahan