Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC: What Questions do you want answered before the Kickstarter ends?

WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
edited May 2017 in Ashes of Creation
Based on what we know so far, what are the things you would like to know, about Ashes of Creation, before pledging or being charged for your current package at the end of the KS?

For me, based on some of the hot topics to come up recently with other MMO's in development:

1) What is your policy on RMT (gold selling) going to be?

2) Can you define what "Pay to Win" means to you, in context of the micro-transaction shop? The term Pay2Win seems to mean something different to everyone.

In reference to this question on the KS FAQ:
"Will there be a microtransaction shop?

Yes, we plan to include a shop for microtransactions. But, the shop will only include cosmetic items. Nothing in our shop will ever be pay to win as we believe this practice greatly hurts the MMORPG genre."

3) Will there be subscription currency items in game that players can buy with real-life money and sell to other players in-game? E.g. Krono in EverQuest1.

I'd love to hear what questions other people are looking to get answered...

--------------------------------------------

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    My biggest question is 'why use "AoC"?'. It belongs... BELONGS!!! To the venerable Age of Conan.  Come up with something else.  Plenty of letters in the title to come up with an abreviation.

(Yes I know the first letters... Still.  I'm sure some clever sot can come up with something)

I self identify as a monkey.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

mgilbrtsn said:

My biggest question is 'why use "AoC"?'. It belongs... BELONGS!!! To the venerable Age of Conan.  Come up with something else.  Plenty of letters in the title to come up with an abreviation.

(Yes I know the first letters... Still.  I'm sure some clever sot can come up with something)

They actually refer to it as Ashes on their Discord, or so I'm told.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

mgilbrtsn said:

Apparently the acronym "mmorpg" itself can be assigned to anything as long as you have fun. This should matter a lot less. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

mgilbrtsn said:

Why can't two games go by the same acronym? I played the heck out of Age of Conan when it launched in 2008(?), but that doesn't mean they get exclusive rights to the abbreviation forever. If you can't tell which one is being referred to based on the context of the post, then ask for clarification.

I do apologize though for any confusion I may have caused. In this case, I was referring to the game "Ashes of Creation" by Intrepid Studios. :wink:

League of Legends goes by LOL, and so does a certain button next to "Awesome" on these forums. But there isn't confusion due to context.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

mgilbrtsn said:

Why can't two games go by the same acronym? I played the heck out of Age of Conan when it launched in 2008(?), but that doesn't mean they get exclusive rights to the abbreviation forever. If you can't tell which one is being referred to based on the context of the post, then ask for clarification.

I do apologize though for any confusion I may have caused. In this case, I was referring to the game "Ashes of Creation" by Intrepid Studios. :wink:

League of Legends goes by LOL, and so does a certain button next to "Awesome" on these forums. But there isn't confusion due to context.

Just having a bit of fun.  I truly don't care what ppl call it.

I self identify as a monkey.

mgilbrtsn said:

Actually if a game was ever at all popular and still running no less it pretty much does get exclusive use of the acronym.

When people say DAOC, WOW, DDO, SWG, UO, AC, AO, SWTOR or LOTRO there is almost no confusion among anyone whose been around awhile which game they represent.

Using AOC incorrectly makes you look like an ill informed newcomer to the genre.

Your analogy of comparing LOL (a game) to a forum button is also a classic forum mistake, comparing apples to oranges.

Had you found a puzzle or board game with LOL you may have made a point.

The correction will continue. 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Q: What is the budget for the game. What is included in the core (MVP) game and how much additional money is needed to complete the full game with every feature discussed?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Q: What is the budget for the game. What is included in the core (MVP) game and how much additional money is needed to complete the full game with every feature discussed?

Yes, they avoided using an industry standard term MVP and substituted Core viable product, which could mean almost anything but a playable game. (MVPs are actually completed products)

Kyleran said:

mgilbrtsn said:

Actually if a game was ever at all popular and still running no less it pretty much does get exclusive use of the acronym.

When people say DAOC, WOW, DDO, SWG, UO, AC, AO, SWTOR or LOTRO there is almost no confusion among anyone whose been around awhile which game they represent.

Using AOC incorrectly makes you look like an ill informed newcomer to the genre.

Your analogy of comparing LOL (a game) to a forum button is also a classic forum mistake, comparing apples to oranges.

All of the abbreviations you listed use the first letter of each word of the game's title. 

But has there been another MMORPG that has the same first letter abbreviation as any of those other games yet? 

Maybe Ashes of Creation... I mean, AoC... is the first one? :lol:

Do you really think if there was another MMO out that had gone by WoW before World of Warcraft, that people would just start referring to the new game as "World" or "World of". That'd be silly. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2017

mgilbrtsn said:

They can but it's really not good for product recognition, when i see AOC I think Age of Conan which I'm sure many do. It's especially not really good for them when that game is running on fumes as it is, as most have played and moved on from it. Meaning many may just ignore any topic where said acronym is used. 

The whole purpose of an acronym like that is a catchy short form for identifying the game and topics surrounding it. When that short form is already used for a product many know of it's just spreading unneeded confusion. 

There's also the simple case of the WWF.... Which was forced into changing their well known identifier because the wild life foundation had dibs on it. Now they're the WWE.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Yes! That's an important question too. I'd hate to find out after KS that the game requires a few more million dollars from outside investors in order to finish the game...
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    i don't see the issue unless your saying the world lack adaptability to the point if 2 products share a similar abbreviation that they lose focus an cannot understand their more one then one game, then we got bigger problems as the average IQ would be to low for us to continue function as a society an will all die.

or maybe like my post, people are overthinking this an people will adapt an know their 2 games called AoC...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Yes! That's an important question too. I'd hate to find out after KS that the game requires a few more million dollars from outside investors in order to finish the game...

I doubt we'll know the truth there at least as long as they're reaching out for funds, they say they have most of it funded, yet only need money for x. Which honestly I'm surprised went over as well as it did. As it certainly raises questions they have not answered. Like if you're funded why do you need small amounts like 750k for a full fledged MMO, as that really doesn't account for much in a typical budget. 

Seems to me it's a mix of relieving fear ( don't worry we're funded you'll get your game) yet they need money so they can't say they're fully funded, otherwise who'd donate? 

Kickstarters, what more is there really to say? HA

Take it all with a grain of salt.. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    What's the honest to goodness timeline for the project?

Not some pie in the sky, "telling us what we want to hear" short estimate of 6 onths - 1 year
    And not the wishy washy, "it'll be done when it's done." 

Just a realistic timeline. There is X amount of work we need to do, with the staff on hand and anticipated turnover, along with realistic delays, what does the timeline look like? 3 years? 5 years?

Even if it's a conservative estimate, it's always better to under promise and over deliver - which never seems to happen, it always seems that we get shown the world and when the delivery gets here, it's freakin digornio.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

Rusque said:

Not some pie in the sky, "telling us what we want to hear" short estimate of 6 onths - 1 year

Just a realistic timeline. There is X amount of work we need to do, with the staff on hand and anticipated turnover, along with realistic delays, what does the timeline look like? 3 years? 5 years?

Even if it's a conservative estimate, it's always better to under promise and over deliver - which never seems to happen, it always seems that we get shown the world and when the delivery gets here, it's freakin digornio.

The kickstarter page says estimated delivery date December 2018. Don't know if that's just a placeholder though or an actual estimate.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

mgilbrtsn said:

Why can't two games go by the same acronym? 

They can, until one of the parties trademarks it.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Kyleran said:

Yes, they avoided using an industry standard term MVP and substituted Core viable product, which could mean almost anything but a playable game. (MVPs are actually completed products)

No, because the viable is there, which is the actual word that matters. I think that they replaced the "M" because people seem to take offense to the idea of "Minimum". Just my guess, but based on some of the discussions that have taken place here and the Interwebs, it's clear that people have a problem with the concept of any MVP. 

I do agree with Slapshot that I'd like to hear what their MVP includes. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Kyleran said:

mgilbrtsn said:

All of the abbreviations you listed use the first letter of each word of the game's title. 

But has there been another MMORPG that has the same first letter abbreviation as any of those other games yet? 

Maybe Ashes of Creation... I mean, AoC... is the first one? :lol:

Do you really think if there was another MMO out that had gone by WoW before World of Warcraft, that people would just start referring to the new game as "World" or "World of". That'd be silly. 

World of Warships...which uses WOWS instead of WoW.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Forgrimm said:

Rusque said:

The kickstarter page says estimated delivery date December 2018. Don't know if that's just a placeholder though or an actual estimate.

Yeah I saw that which is why I'd like to know how they view that date. If they're anything like every other kickstarter has been, that's they "hopeful, fingers crossed" ETA. Which I don't think is good practice. If they actually think they'll go live in Dec 2018, then I'd love to hear them say that and provide a roadmap.

I know they're in some early Alpha build, but that can mean anything from company to company. Game development takes time, it's better to be honest and realistic than to have to kick a can down the road when your "deadlines" roll by.

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I'm also wanting to see a realistic development timeline to be published before I choose to contribute. December 2018 is just laughable. Based on watching how other MMO's development have progressed, and the size of their team, its likely something more along the lines of:

Dec 2018: Alpha Phase 1 Begins
    Dec 2020: Beta Phase 1 Begins
    June 2022: Early Access
    Feb 2023: Official Release

All of the videos that have been released are very canned at the moment, really just cinematic examples of what the game could be. I don't mind them purchasing art work, that's actually a good business decision if it can all blend together well. But their programming team seems weak so far, and I have seen no progress being made on all the complex games systems they want to implement so far.

The scope of their game seems to be on par with Wildstar, and it took the Wildstar team, starting at a size of 17, 9 years to complete the game.

I just feel that so far whats being pitched is just dreams, and I haven't seen anything that gives me confidence they can actually pull off what they're trying to sell.