Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - The Joy of Starting Over - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageElder Scrolls Online - The Joy of Starting Over - MMORPG.com

Of all the things I’m looking forward to most in Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind this June, the ultimate has to be starting over. It’s not that I haven’t made a new character in ESO before, in fact, I’ve probably played through the beginning lands of Tamriel Unlimited more times than I care to admit since the beta of ESO three years and change ago. And that, right there, is why Morrowind is vitally important to me as an ESO fan.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ysn888ysn888 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    This game is getting better every day . RESPECT ! gg
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    No comment :)

PS. @BillMurphy isn't it getting kind of lonely being one of the few who can talk about this while everyone else is under an NDA? If I were in your shoes I'd feel like I was talking to myself.

Oh well... I guess the message will be tightly controlled for another 5 weeks.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    You can make a new character and just go anywhere you want at the start. Like, literally, anywhere... so...
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Tyr216Tyr216 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Yeah you can go anywhere and not have it make a lick of sense from a narrative perspective

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

You can make a new character and just go anywhere you want at the start. Like, literally, anywhere... so...

That's not the point. The point is that I've DONE all this stuff for three years. I can't wait to "start" in a new narrative with Morrowind.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

That's not the point. The point is that I've DONE all this stuff for three years. I can't wait to "start" in a new narrative with Morrowind.

Well to be fair, one of ESO's strengths has always been how well they made each and every zone in the game thematically distinct with interesting zone specific quest content and even integrating the zone's delves and public dungeon into it.

They also learned as they went along and every zone that was added after the initial release, starting with Craglorn, has upped the ante. This is most noticeable in how much better the delves and public dungeons are in these new zones.

And yes, if you have played it a lot with many different alts (I have 9 CP 600+ characters and counting at the moment) you definitely look forward to new zones and new content. Although...

It's funny though that I sometimes deliberately go to the content I'm most familiar with when leveling a new character - especially one I'm experimenting with heavily - in order to have a quick comparison with other builds I've leveled before. For me that's typically Khenarthi's Roost and Auridon. It does make the quests excruciatingly boring but I do get good feedback about the strengths and weaknesses of what I'm building.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    edited May 2017
    Start over again?

No way! Way to much time and gold invested on my kitty NB. Maybe....maybe....one day when skill points and achievements are account wide.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I want to play this and enjoy it so bad T_T
  • ry7737ry7737 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    BORING!! ESO=welcome to the hamster wheel of repetition. i own it. I've played it for about a yr and im sick of it more than i was guild wars 2 which i absolutely hated after having waited sooo many years for it to make it to us in the first place. a different topic altogether regardless ESO is trash and unofficially relies to heavily on the community to create addons for it that should already exist.as an example, in all mmorpgs buff timers should be tracked on the same screen you fight on. im aware there's a massive quality of life improvement incoming. 3 years to push it out tho? fk off still gonna be repetitive and boring. zzzz
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Iselin said:

(I have 9 CP 600+ characters and counting at the moment) you definitely look forward to new zones and new content. Although...

wouldn't all of your characters be 600+ CP?
    edited May 2017

Grakulen said:

Iselin said:

(I have 9 CP 600+ characters and counting at the moment) you definitely look forward to new zones and new content. Although...

wouldn't all of your characters be 600+ CP?

Technically yes. But most of us still refer to the ones that are not level 50 yet by their level # not their CP... although I suppose we could say 23 / 600 :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• tristanfeytristanfey Member UncommonPosts: 13

ry7737 said:

BORING!! ESO=welcome to the hamster wheel of repetition. i own it. I've played it for about a yr and im sick of it more than i was guild wars 2 which i absolutely hated after having waited sooo many years for it to make it to us in the first place. a different topic altogether regardless ESO is trash and unofficially relies to heavily on the community to create addons for it that should already exist.as an example, in all mmorpgs buff timers should be tracked on the same screen you fight on. im aware there's a massive quality of life improvement incoming. 3 years to push it out tho? fk off still gonna be repetitive and boring. zzzz

I'm thinking MMOs are not for you. They are all hamster wheels. That's how levels and progress work. ESO does it better than almost all current released MMOs. Large variety of zones with thoughtful quests. Nice classic customization.

I am so happy you're not designing games. Having timers built into the base UI. Gods that would be just the beginning of the end. Thank you for letting me pick and choose my own addons and I not shove down my throat what you think I want. I would have to be turning off so many things of the MMO held my hand like that. Not too mention how lazy it makes players rather thanet them get skilled on their own. That's a community I'd hate to group with.
    edited May 2017

I don't really see the difference. Everyone is looking forward to new content in MMOs all the time. Is it a new narrative? As in, do you still get the harborage main story quests or something else? Because if you still get them, the only difference is you spawn in a new location.

I can start a new character, head straight to Wrothgar and start in that narrative with a new character. You mention in the article that you wish you could start in Orsinium.. but you CAN start in Orsinium. Just make a character, spawn, head to wayshrine and go there.

Surely an experienced player of 3 years would take the initiative and spend 5 minutes after character creation to fix something that they think is so badly needed... and this 'need for different starting areas' only applies to experienced players so.. this is obviously something you never realised you could do. You are definitely in the minority because I see tons of level 1-10 characters in Wrothgar. It's not a One Tamriel thing either, all the DLC has always scaled.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    edited May 2017

Tyr216 said:

Yeah you can go anywhere and not have it make a lick of sense from a narrative perspective

Why would someone who doesn't know the narrative even need to skip the default start areas?

..and that's ignoring that pretty much every zone in the game has it's own story line with something like.. 1%(?).. of the quests in the game ever referring to another zones quests.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i never leveled past level 12 maybe ill start again but i will NOT buy the dlc or sub.
    you screwed us at launch forcing us to sub. for 3 months!
    waiting for a good mmo!
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    I hated eso at the launch but am loving it now.... i am just wondering - can you also start with the warden in the original zones? I assume so...and then go to morrowind later? What if you start out in morrowind, will you be trabsported at the end of morrowind to the original beginning? I mean how will this all fit together and make sense with the main dtory arc?
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Ps: what kind of cool armor and weapon is that? Looks a bit like skin changer and trinimac?
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Really looking forward to this, love the idea of an ice-tank build. Will also be great just to take my time questing through the new areas.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I am also looking forward to this. I always loved ESO but finally quit after awhile of playing by myself cause all my RL friends were in WoW at the time. The thing that stood out to me was that even with having all RL friends in another game I was able to hold out and not switch to WoW for about 9 months. I was pleasantly engaged just crafting, gathering , and leveling on my own.

If an MMO can hold me for that long while I have the rope of RL friends pulling me in another direction then obviously this MMO has to be something special. This was all before the DLCs and going sub-free. Now being sub-free and with all the updates that have been done there is just so much content it is unbelievable. I have to honestly admit this is the best MMO out there right now if you like PvE.

Was considering going back to FFXIV for Stormblood and now that is out of the window cause ESO is what I am sticking with. I just wish ESO would implement some serious Oculus Rift/ HTC Vive Support. Especially with the Rift coming down in price I think it's semi-affordable now.

Then I could finally have the VRMMO I've dreamed of...ESO has the best first person view around cause of the implementation of the arms like the single player TES games. Add to that the Immersive Horse Riding mod and I'm all set and ready to try it on some VR.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I'm currently playing BnS but waiting for this to drop.  Very excited about the possibilities it brings with it, even if all you see on the OF are grown ass children crying because they have to rethink things.
    edited May 2017

I see tons of level 1-10 characters in Wrothgar. It's not a One Tamriel thing either, all the DLC has always scaled.

You're not wrong but the One Tamriel update addressed the ability of low level players to do scaled content to an extent that had never been done prior to that.

They did this by adding hidden modifiers to all players levels 1-33 that directly boosts damage mitigation and damage done. For the first 3 weeks the modifier was not hidden on the PTS so we saw its diminishing formula that gave you 100% of that extra boost at level 1 and was reduced by 3% per level down to 3% of it at level 33 and then gone at level 34.

That boost is above and beyond the normal stats bolstering boost that is still done for all levels under CP160 and existed prior to OT.

That DLC content could always be done by bolstered low level characters but some of the fights - especially instanced solo mini-boss fights - were pretty rough for low level boosted characters (especially if they were "true low level" with no CP.) After OT, all of the content became roughly equivalent in difficulty so going to Orsinium or the Thieve's or DB areas first is much more doable now by anyone than it used to be.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED