Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC hits 150,000 in 3 minutes

XatericXateric Member UncommonPosts: 51
edited August 2017 in Ashes of Creation
[mod edit] just hit $150,000 on kickstarter in 3 minutes....nice to see. I bought the 80 dollar pack, how about anyone else?
Post edited by Vaross on

Comments

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    The game looks really interesting and I hope they do well, but I don't donate to video game projects. 
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    edited August 2017

Xateric said:

[mod edit] just hit $150,000 on kickstarter in 3 minutes....nice to see. I bought the 80 dollar pack, how about anyone else?

haha you would think the fool me once shame on me thing would apply here, but I guess not. Hey I could use a new roof for my side by side, want to send me 80 bucks? I will send you pictures of me going through mud pits, that sounds fair right hahaha. 
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Its the best looking up coming western mmo. 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    What is it with kickstarter and all the bullshit estimates for release dates and how its just going to take $750k to make the scope bigger on a fully featured mmorpg. This game has a massive scope and try to create things that more funded projects has failed doing. They will keep on asking for money since its going to take far more than 1.5 years to ever finish this one.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Day one always looks good, lets see how the 3 day marker is.

BTW: ITS ASHES OR ASHES OF CREATION, BUT NOT AOC.

Prepared

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    Not gonna spend a penny on a kickstarter or early access game anymore. Done with that.
    Rawyn
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    edited May 2017
    From the kickstarter page:

We’ve got private backing that will allow us to produce a core viable product...

Crowdfunding also allows us to connect directly with the players most invested in our success. We need your voices to help grow this community...

The game is coming out regardless, Kickstarter is just a type of marketing campaign meant to create additional investor hype and solicit pre-orders years in advance. This is why the asking price is way to low to create an MMO.

The huge problem here is that the entire point of kickstarter was to support creators who couldn't get or wanted to be free from investors. There is no player control, they are just another bullet point to show to VCs that there is a viable market.

Players subsidizing private investors is a really bad deal. If the game is a success the investors make a return, if it fails the players pay them off. The private investors can't lose.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    There was a time I was naive and would just give money to untested kickstarters, even when they had great developers and so on.

I'm still a fan of crowdfunding, in a way, but I've found crowdfunding sites that return funding as investments once the project is completed and its changed the way I give to crowdfunding, especially if I don't expect to see a return.

For starters, if this is just a way to stretch goals on their current game before launch, or to finish some incomplete features, I'd have to see much more of the games current state. A testing schedule. Specific launch dates... not "launch or early access when we run out of money"

Too many "studios" have done this, and we have games going on 4, 5, 6.. 7 years of development and counting with incomplete, buggy early access titles.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Kyleran said:

Well, they're now more than half way there so I'm going to venture a guess that they will make their goal by the 3rd day.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    You cannot make a good MMO these days for that money.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited May 2017

Jacobin said:

From the kickstarter page it:

We’ve got private backing that will allow us to produce a core viable product...

Crowdfunding also allows us to connect directly with the players most invested in our success. We need your voices to help grow this community...

The game is coming out regardless, Kickstarter is just a type of marketing campaign meant to create additional investor hype and solicit pre-orders years in advance. This is why the asking price is way to low to create an MMO.

The huge problem here is that the entire point of kickstarter was to support creators who couldn't get or wanted to be free from investors. There is no player control, they are just another bullet point to show to VCs that there is a viable market.

Players subsidizing private investors is a really bad deal. If the game is a success the investors make a return, if it fails the players pay them off. The private investors can't lose.

----- odd quote thing.

So if they don't get much further would it still get made?

I mean if it's done for marketing and community wouldn't that mean that the marketing failed the community doesn't care and therefore is no significant interest?
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited August 2017

Xateric said:

haha you would think the fool me once shame on me thing would apply here, but I guess not. Hey I could use a new roof for my side by side, want to send me 80 bucks? I will send you pictures of me going through mud pits, that sounds fair right hahaha. 

You do realize you are using incredibly flawed logic based on what I can only assume is a complete lack of understanding about the game being discussed...right?

They have private funding to make the game, it is happening, this is a 'for the goodies' kick starter more or less.
    Post edited by Vaross on
    MrMelGibson

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

So if they don't get much further would it still get made?

I mean if it's done for marketing and community wouldn't that mean that the marketing failed the community doesn't care and therefore is no significant interest?

Its says right on the page that they already have enough private funding to make a 'core viable product'.

They don't need crowdfunding, they are just doing it because there is no downside. Free hype and money.If the game ends up being bad they can use this 'extra' KS money to pay back the investors.

There is no point in donating if an investor has already assumed the risk and the game will be made. The player should only ever pay for something years in advance if there is no other way to get the product.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    $120k more to go :pleased:

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• finnelhirfinnelhir Member UncommonPosts: 36
    edited August 2017

Hatefull said:

Xateric said:

You do realize you are using incredibly flawed logic based on what I can only assume is a complete lack of understanding about the game being discussed...right?

They have private funding to make the game, it is happening, this is a 'for the goodies' kick starter more or less.

Also, KS is a "thermometer" for adicional funding with investors. Crowfall done well this job, and i think Ashes will follow this way. 

Good for Backers, good for Devs. 
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Dude..where is my booze? 
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Their goal is almost met, just goes to show how much demand there is for different MMOs. 
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

Their goal is almost met, just goes to show how much demand there is for different MMOs. 

Hopefully they have their stretch goals planned out and ready to go soon! :wink:
    --------------------------------------------
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

tixylix said:

You cannot make a good MMO these days for that money.

You cannot make a good MMO using other game's acronym, period.

AoC = Age of Conan, lol
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Sovrath said:

Kyleran said:

Well, they're now more than half way there so I'm going to venture a guess that they will make their goal by the 3rd day.

Yeah, I made this post before finding out how low they set the bar.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Kyleran said:

Sovrath said:

Kyleran said:

They probably set the bar so low so that it was more likely to be achieved, if they had asked for a million lets say, chances are they wouldn't have got it, and what would that have said about interest in the game? :o
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Over a million has been reached.

Kyleran said:

Sovrath said:

Kyleran said:

Idk, $750,000 for a MMO KS isn't what I'd call a "low" bar compared to what we have seen before.

Star Citizen's funding goal was $500,000.
    Pantheon's was $800,000
    Crowfall's was $800,000
    Chronicle's of Elyria's was $900,000.
    Dual Universe's was 500,000 euro
    Ship of Heroes was $400,000

I would say it is more of an average bar, but no one could have anticipated how well it is doing (not even their own devs).

They're on track to surpass what CoE earned in their whole KS campaign, in under a week.

I always find it interesting how people believe that somehow... a game with a "small dedicated team" will somehow create something better suited and geared more towards what they want in a manner that will be well polished and playable.

If you look at the list you mentioned.. those games haven't released yet. At least one I know of didn't make their goal.

Every game that gets mentioned here.. just about every single one... starts a hype train of unreasonable proportions.  

Granted most games are better than the harshest critics and not nearly as good as the most ardent fans have you believe -- these multi-million dollar games that have released...  games with dozens if not hundreds of employees - industry profesionals, etc. with years of experience in their field.  These armies of qualified development teams and nearly endless funds - they put out games that get trashed, bashed, and beaten, and go through changes to survive.

Yet every few months we hear about the next indie developer asking for several hundreds of thousands of dollars with a team of (qualified?) employees that have big hearts and bigger aspirations that will revolutionize the industry.

It isn't going to happen.  

Thats not to say that you can't support these... often... buggy incomplete games because you have more money than sense,  maybe a gambling addiction,  maybe you just need something to believe in?  But in the very least at least temper expectations.  Realize the truth about what you'll most likely get in this scenario, if anything of note at all. 

@maskedweasel, the only point I was trying to make / ask @Kyleran, was what funding amount was he expecting it to be when he made his prediction?

Obviously, he's seen other KS MMO campaigns before. So the $750,000 bar, which he now called "low", seems, to me, to be about the same amount that all of the others asked for.

In relation to the cost of building a AAA MMO, sure the bar is way low. But in relation to other MMO Kickstarters, which is what his prediction was about, the bar seems normal.

@maskedweasel, the only point I was trying to make / ask @Kyleran, was what funding amount was he expecting it to be when he made his prediction?

Obviously, he's seen other KS MMO campaigns before. So the $750,000 bar, which he now called "low", seems, to me, to be about the same amount that all of the others asked for.

In relation to the cost of building a AAA MMO, sure the bar is way low. But in relation to other MMO Kickstarters, which is what his prediction was about, the bar seems normal.

To that we agree.  But I believe they set them "low" intentionally so that they get the funding.  I think thats why SOH set theirs so low, and also why they pulled it.  I think they realized they didn't set it low enough.