Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPGs Can Be Made to Teach People Things About Real Life

cantankerousmagecantankerousmage Member UncommonPosts: 992
edited April 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
What if you someone made an MMORPG that taught you how to be, or at least what it was actually like, to be a doctor or a policeman or any real world profession?  What if historical MMORPGs allowed you to experience what it may actually have been like to live as a human in any given era?  What if games could make math and science fun for people that don't normally like those subjects?  What if you could learn a foreign language by playing an MMORPG?  The possibilities are almost endless. 

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Did you read this in Day Late Dollar Short News?  gamification has been happening in education for some time now.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited April 2017

waynejr2 said:

Did you read this in Day Late Dollar Short News?  gamification has been happening in education for some time now.

Which probably explains why kids can barely read, write, or solve simple math problems.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

waynejr2 said:

Which probably explains why kids can barely read, write, or solve simple math problems.

Gross generalization is a terrible idea. While I agree, there are some kids that have a hard time with certain subjects, I assure you the 20 or so children in my daughter's 3rd-grade class can all read and write. In addition to all the 'common' classes, one would expect at an elementary school in the U.S. they are also learning how to code and how to build robots. While I am not sure what happens at all elementary schools, I am confident the children at the school I do have knowledge of are being taught skills that will serve them well in future.

However, more to the point of this post, yes, that is all happening and when VR becomes more mainstream I believe you can achieve some real immersion.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• cantankerousmagecantankerousmage Member UncommonPosts: 992
    edited April 2017
    Yes, I do know that there are educational games.  I am aware.  However, I think it would be cool if there were ones that were as engaging and entertaining as a big budget MMORPG.  While I haven't done extensive research on the subject, I'm not aware of any that fit that description.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Hatefull said:

waynejr2 said:

Gross generalization is a terrible idea. While I agree, there are some kids that have a hard time with certain subjects, I assure you the 20 or so children in my daughter's 3rd-grade class can all read and write. In addition to all the 'common' classes, one would expect at an elementary school in the U.S. they are also learning how to code and how to build robots. While I am not sure what happens at all elementary schools, I am confident the children at the school I do have knowledge of are being taught skills that will serve them well in future.

However, more to the point of this post, yes, that is all happening and when VR becomes more mainstream I believe you can achieve some real immersion.

So we should list the names of everyone we are talking about?  lol.  Generalizations are practical.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

DMKano said:

Yes, I do know that there are educational games.  I am aware.  However, I think it would be cool if there were ones that were as engaging and entertaining as a big budget MMORPG.  While I haven't done extensive research on the subject, I'm not aware of any that fit that description.

Big budget MMORPG for something that has zero chance of making back the money invested.....

Really now?

I don't know.  It's just an idea.  The government has a lot of money to spend on education though.  And could making or producing an educational game be considered a tax write-off for corporations or small businesses?  I'm not sure about that.  Just asking.
  • pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Second Life has had small groups trying education and so on. It has socializing at virtual cafes. There are art exhibits and demonstrations. MUSHes and MOOs, the predecessors to Second Life, are or were used for similar things, and still for free-form role-playing.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    You mean like flight simulators? They are out there....but not many play them, cause they aren't very exciting. Neither is being a doctor or policemen or a scientist or mathematician most days. that's why even they play games in their spare time. To escape real life.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Because everyone would want to play the plantation owner.
    No one would want to play the slave.

And at the end of the day a game would not allow you to experience being tortured, raped, having your whole family and cultural history wiped off of the planet.

Games needs to stay as games (fun), an escape from reality.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

What if you someone made an MMORPG that taught you how to be, or at least what it was actually like, to be a doctor or a policeman or any real world profession?  What if historical MMORPGs allowed you to experience what it may actually have been like to live as a human in any given era?  What if games could make math and science fun for people that don't normally like those subjects?  What if you could learn a foreign language by playing an MMORPG?  The possibilities are almost endless. 

because then we would have an educated electorate and educated people are much harder to control.

is why

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Because everyone would want to play the plantation owner.
    No one would want to play the slave.

And at the end of the day a game would not allow you to experience being tortured, raped, having your whole family and cultural history wiped off of the planet.

Games needs to stay as games (fun), an escape from reality.

I understand what you're saying.  But there are ways to make almost anything at least somewhat interesting and fun.  Novels, comic books, TV shows, and movies do it, at least attempt  to do it all the time.  And we don't need to make things hyper-realistic. Things like rape and torture need to stay out of games for sure.

SEANMCAD said:

because then we would have an educated electorate and educated people are much harder to control.

is why

You may have hit the nail on the head with that one.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Funny that educational games were brought up recently.  Over the weekend I was playing TIS-100.  It makes you solve problems using a simplified assembly language.  I haven't written assembly code in over 15 years so it was fun to get to use it again.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

dave6660 said:

Funny that educational games were brought up recently.  Over the weekend I was playing TIS-100.  It makes you solve problems using a simplified assembly language.  I haven't written assembly code in over 15 years so it was fun to get to use it again.

Kerbal Space Program

simple as that. idea can be replicated into many other professions but know we need to keep people stupid.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me