Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO surpassed your expectations if any ?

Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
For me this would have to be ESO it just keeps improving ,what with the questing housing crafting dlcs and just exploring has become my favorite since EQ2 .

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    City of Heroes was a refreshing change for me.
    RobsolfAzaron_Nightbladegunklacker
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    For me FFXIV, the first impression where really awful but after the firs 100 hours i got addicted and the story was amazing to the point where i felt emotional connections with the characters. ESO was ok for me, i have cleared pretty much all the content i thought would be fun and i'm done with it now after 7k hours into it. WoW Legion was for me another disappointment right after Draenor, i don't think i will be buying another WoW expansion again, super grindy expansion where they make you do the same content over and over to get AP.
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Only one for me, and I cannot remember it's name. It was the first mmorpg I played that was a fps. It had this wierd frog race, and there were jet packs. When I found it on here many years ago I thought it was gonna be garbage, but I enjoyed the combat and jet packs. 
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621

Aori said:

Lineage 2, I walked in not expecting to stay. It was also the first time I've ever experienced an overwhelming adrenaline rush gaming. The PvP, player politics and economy manipulation were just so free.

I remember going to WoW when it came back out, got to 40ish in the first month or so and went back to Lineage 2. I was playing FFXI prior to Lineage 2 while the game looked fantastic and the ambiance really hit a nice spot for me, it was fun to adventure in but it was also tiring. The time spent getting groups ready and traveling to hunting fields was to much for me.

A little known Korean MMO called RFonline also surpassed expectations, it was really enjoyable from PvP perspective, it also scratched a sci-fi itch I had. It had a political system though easily exploitable with large guilds. It was a good RvRvR experience one of the better ones. Though like most KRMMOs mismanagement kills them.

Hmmm I was looking for a new mmo, I think I'll try rf,  never heard of it. Everything in this world is mismanaged so what ever lol.
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276

DMKano said:

EQ1 back in march of 1999 surpassed all my expectations

The idea of a full 3d MUD was mind blowingly amazing to me.

Pretty much all gen1 MMORPGs surpassed my expectations (UO, DAoC, AC and AO) - because my expectations were a lot lower 15+ years ago when MMORPGs were a new kid on the block.

But EQ1 was by far the biggest awe inducing experience so I will stick to that as #1

The reality is nothing will ever match that EQ1 experience ever again.

had a great time in EQ1, made many friends had a beastlord and was on a server that began with a V .remember a place where you went through a tunnel and there was an owlbear you had to get pass to join people at hill 1 hill 2 etc good times .
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    FF11 started playing 2003 and still playing to this day, I try all new mmorpg releasing but nothing to compare to FF11.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    World of Warcraft. I was absolutely stunned how fun it was at release (vanilla). I still play occasionally. It came out of nowhere for me, cause never heard about it till I saw beta for fileplanet. Was sold on day one.

And Guild Wars 2. At release I didn't like it, but since HoT I've been having a ton of fun. YES, it was hyped up a lot...but I figured it couldn't match the hype at all and would fail and bomb. And it actually came out really good. And I DID actually like it, so my former statement is kinda wrong...just at the time I was super into WoW and very few if any games could have made me "like it" enough to play and stop me playing WoW. But now GW2 is probably my current favorite MMO.

The other one is Planetside 2. Its so amazing and jam packed with action non-stop. been playing past month, and wow are the battles intense and crazy. 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Id say Guild Wars 1, the dual classes and 1 giant server in pieces was not in many mmos at that time and was quite fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Warhammer: Age of Reckoning.

Generally I'm not much of a fan of PvP, depending on the game and how it's handled I'm generally anywhere from 'Meh...' to loathing it. Tried WAR on a lark, expecting to hate it due to its reputation as a PvP-focused game, ending up leveling multiple character strictly through PvP, did very little of the PvE (frankly most of it was broken anyway), and had a blast.

Despite its problems, and they were legion, WAR got a lot right and is probably my second favorite MMO of all time.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

DMKano said:

EQ1 back in march of 1999 surpassed all my expectations

The idea of a full 3d MUD was mind blowingly amazing to me.

Pretty much all gen1 MMORPGs surpassed my expectations (UO, DAoC, AC and AO) - because my expectations were a lot lower 15+ years ago when MMORPGs were a new kid on the block.

But EQ1 was by far the biggest awe inducing experience so I will stick to that as #1

The reality is nothing will ever match that EQ1 experience ever again.

Yeah, EQ1 because I had no expectations.  It was all brand new to me.  I still remember the trepidation and excitement I felt as a Barbarian the first time I looked across the water from the Halas dock and wondered what lay beyond!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    EVE....saved me when I had given up on finding something different....and ended up being my favorite all time MMORPG.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Star Wars Galaxies. I never played a MMO before that and wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't expect a virtual world. I remember loving Mos Eisley and thinking it was so big (for a city in a game). Then when JTL launched and you could also have a spaceship it made the game even more impressive.

I also was pleasantly surprised by Guild Wars 1. I didn't expect much because it wasn't an open world. But I loved how you could tinker with the dual professions and stats to counter specific missions (main story encounters). And how PVP was entirely seperate from PVE and it wasn't gear based. I am still impressed by Guild vs Guild, how team composition and the brought skills could bring awesome synergy. First time where I saw teams working flawlessly together as one in MMO PVP. Observer mode made it even enjoyable to watch the top teams.

Robsolf
  • BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Ultima online.  Traveling around Britain just to see what people were up to and what misadventures I could get myself into.  Being able to write in a book, drop it, and having another person read it.  The attention to detail still not fully replicated in 3D mmorpgs since (swg came close). Being able to stack a bunch of benches, dyed cloth, and cotton to create a "hot tub " in my house.  Taming, fishing, treasure hunting, thieving, skill based character development that allowed you to make the person you wanted.  

Buying a boat and sailing around.  No other game has given the depth of options to provide such a vibrant virtual world. I had hoped things would get better and better with new games.  Still waiting...
    ManWithNoTan
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    EQ did...My first experience with MMOs was UO and I did not like it at all....My impressions of multi-player were "great now all the players can kill me too" but when I tried EQ it was so refreshing and fun to explore.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Everquest of course. I expected nothing because it was the very first time I played an online game and I was totally blown away. Impossible to match that feeling ever again of running scared to death from Qeynos Hills to Qeynos and dying along the way to a vicious Necromancer.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276

cheyane said:

Everquest of course. I expected nothing because it was the very first time I played an online game and I was totally blown away. Impossible to match that feeling ever again of running scared to death from Qeynos Hills to Qeynos and dying along the way to a vicious Necromancer.

Then having to find some friends to drag your body arguing about who is going to drag it out of the 20 mobs surrounding it lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    WoW
    EVE
    Wushu
    ESO
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Clearly Lineage 2. Years of fun. Not to mention it taught me that botting is inevitable in some games  :p
    LFG!
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    EQ1 and early WOW before battle grounds was introduced. I first logged into EQ when it was night time. 

I still didn't realise it was an mmo, I thought it was just a single RPG. Then I saw this mob run past me really fast, I tried to catch it but couldn't. 

An hour later after realising the game was what people were calling an mmo. 

That mob turned out to be another player and a bard class. 

• GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262
    EQ was my first mmo back in '99 . Nothing will ever compare to that but DaoC also exceeded expection and gw2 atleast lived up to expectation.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Neverwinter

But let me explain. When I heard Cryptic is making what at that time as still starry eyes hopeful of MMORPGs

My dream MMO was D&D MMO set in Forgotten Realms, and what better than one that is set as successor of Neverwinter Nights.

To hear that Cryptic , that produced failure as Champions and STO - with their "print MMOs quickly" engine, and under lead of Bill Roper - Is making Neverwinter MMO

And not only that - the MMO was planned to be twitch ACTION based. Complete opposite of what D&D is.

this was crushing and disappointing. So much i didnt even want to try it when it was released.

But when i finally did, i was more positively surprised than with any MMO previously.

The writing was superb. The combat system was actually more fun than most. And all in all it was incredibly fun experience.

• corvascorvas Member UncommonPosts: 151
    edited May 2017
    For me which one was better then i expected was Guildwars 2, had the idea that it was a new version of  Guildwars 1 back in the days but it wasnt and it surpassed my expectation.

BUT, if you ask me what i think was the best MMO I ever played, then i must say by far Star Wars Galaxies before the NGE ofcourse.
  • jairusjairus Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Endless Ages and 10six where some of the greatest games that i have ever played.
    I wish they would remake both of these.

• darknagualdarknagual Member UncommonPosts: 19
    edited May 2017
    only 2 have done that...everquest and darkfall online. Since 2012 its all been shit