Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was I right? Was I wrong? A prediction 6 years later.

2»

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited April 2017
    i am fine with niche games ^^

let mmos become niche again, so pvp people can play with pvp people and pve with their kind, and no one will care bc those games are niche anyway.

obviously by that time niche means several million players, like the "failed" WoW atm, with how many? 7 million? totaly niche.

uh, and @ mark .... camelot might take it's time, but that was EXACTLY why WAR failed, bc EA stepped in and said "you! you there with the mark jacobs face! yes you! release in 2 months!"
    and mark was like "whhoooooot, we only have 2 out of 3 cities for each faction yet, the game ain't done!"
    but EA did what publishers do :) and the rest was history, or... well, zerg ^^

let's hope he has enough time on camelot unchained, but won't take as long as chriss roberts or the guys building the airport here in berlin <3

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200
    When companies create a combat focused game with a linear story line to follow (no matter how awesome executed) they don't have to be surprised when the player play it like such a game and put it aside when done.

If companies want ppl stay in their worlds they need to start creating worlds; not action games. Adding a good story, lore, NPCs and story driven quest chains should support the world, not the other way around.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    SWTOR didnt fail, it just that after all these years the golden age of MMORPG gaming is dead, same deal with the themparks and WoW clones, Wildstar being the last of them, and his failure was really good for the genre.  At this point MMO/Online gaming is trying to evolve testing new tech and ideas, is all about time to find out where the genre and multiplayer gaming is heading. 
  • 4Renziks4Renziks Member UncommonPosts: 390
    I smell a small revival coming.

1 (small). We are going back to old school community niche games - Ashes of Creation and Camelot Unchained (pantheon is copy pasta of EQ , dont get the hype of this game, not enough info on Chronicles of Elyria)

2 (Big) . VR will really be the revitalization. When VR becomes mains stream in 10 years or so. Another 10 years or so after that will be walking around in worlds. Who wants to play VR to just pew pew , it increase immersion, exploration, and connection to the environment...MMORPG are NEEDED in the VR space.

So next 5 years small revival going back to the roots of community and world building

Next 20 years increase immersion with VR.

playing: Dragon Age
    Waiting: for FF14, Mass Effect
    Want to try: Fallen Earth

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    The game failed so hard, that it is still around 7 years later....It was not the success they wanted it to be, sure. However considering it is still around, not sure if it was a failure. So no, your prediction was wrong, but not completly. If the game was the success they want it to be, it would have been good for MMO's. However only for western MMO's. Asia is still producing MMO's like crazy.

So no, the MMO marketing is not dead. There are simply hardly any MMO's being produced most of us would enjoy. It success would however have been good for the western MMO market. 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

I would have unconditionally agreed that P2P subscription games were not viable were it not for FFXIV.  Though that is an enigma in that it failed once, got as much info as it could from players who stated what they wanted, and then had the brand, the connections and the money to remake it from the ground up.  To date its budget has been increased several times with Heavensward getting doubled and Stormblood getting triple that.  With new data centers opening twice and new servers planned for Europe even after all these years (and that ever elusive lore book that keeps on selling out for the past year... one day!).  They're even physically moving all the NA servers to a new location in NA to accommodate growth and future potential.

Though I think MMOs just hit a wall with what they could do with current technology and formulas; with the console market continuing to show several successes in the MMO department -- and FFXI being remade for iOS -- I think we are about to break through that wall.  Whether the term "MMO" survives is definitely up for debate in that regard.  Once technology catches up further, we may have fully fledged virtual reality words similar to Star Trek or some popular animes that people are into.

Those who have established themselves are pretty set for a while.  New titles will invoke interest due the top dogs being around so long.  Personally still interested in waiting for Lost Ark, Peria Chronicles and some nearly impossible believe releases like Ashes of Creation and Star Citizen.  As consoles have caught up with the online features, we've seen more and more games with online features and popularity to the point some companies felt you had to have online play to compete in the market, depending on the genre.

People always forget that FFXIV came with a full on ip and fans that help it become a sub. based game. No other game could do that and succeed the way it has. I really hate in defense of the sub.people bring up FF. Its one of the oldest ips with a die hard fan base. Just like Blizzard had with Wow.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    IMHO, SWTOR had no significant impact on the industry.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736

Anireth said:

IMHO, SWTOR had no significant impact on the industry.

I think it did do us one huge favor in that it proved once and for all for anyone with the brains to listen that copying WoW cannot work. It had everything going for it.

1. About the most popular IP of all time but set an era that allowed a lot of freedom in story in setting.
    2. Massive budget.
    3. Experienced development team.
    4. A well known company that fans loved (Bioware before the Mass Effect 3 disaster.)
    5. Great marketing, massive hype.

This game had NO excuse to fail. I have noticed that since SWTORs failure has become clear that newer WoW clones are less of clones then they had been previously. I consider games like ArcheAge and ESO to be WoW clones but you can see more a meaningful difference between them and WoW than you did with SWTOR.

In that way I think SWTOR actually did shape the market, and positively at that. SWTORs failure as a WoW clone didn't affect the market nearly as much as it's success as something original could have though.

Then again the slow collapse of the WoW clone era has a lot of really interesting titles in the works today. If it had been something else and been successful then it probably would have slowed that collapse and maybe the market would be nothing but WoW clones and clones of whatever model SWTOR went with right now.
  • pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    It is a matter of degrees. MMORPGs took up most of my youth, but they were all bad games. "The success of WoW"  is a benighted phrase.  MMORPGs always courted the young and simple. Their story is of two companies debasing themselves for profits. The lowest wins. Boys play with blocks, or with Transformers, in collectible sets.  The first is more prudent, but the snake will always win.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

DMKano said:

OP - confirmation bias

People see what they want to see in the world, mostly they see things that support and confirm their beliefs and preconcieved notions

Whew, you are certainly at expert level when it comes to this. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cantankerousmagecantankerousmage Member UncommonPosts: 992

pkpkpk said:

It is a matter of degrees. MMORPGs took up most of my youth, but they were all bad games. "The success of WoW"  is a benighted phrase.  MMORPGs always courted the young and simple. Their story is of two companies debasing themselves for profits. The lowest wins. Boys play with blocks, or with Transformers, in collectible sets.  The first is more prudent, but the snake will always win.

There is truth in what this man says.