Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is WoW seriously still king in 2017?

Comments

• KopogerooKopogeroo Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited April 2017
    Every era is the same. I can list 20+ good reasons why humanity could not or does not need at the moment to deliver a great AAA MMORPG and it's been like this for at least 6+ years. Thankfully evolution is inevitable and it will happen through time and love. We will see at least 2-3 AAA MMORPG's by 2022 and I will surely be able to enjoy and support at least one of them for what it offers most likely until 2030+
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I find it funny that people consider all these other mmos different from WoW when the primary mode of advancement is solo quest progression, and the "end game" consists of mostly queuing up for casual events, most of which can be achieved solo or part of completely informal constructs.

It's all the same people. A few gimmicks and slightly different art style don't make it different.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Everyone has different tastes. For some people WoW will always be king for other it won't. Different strokes for different folks.
  • eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

MaxBacon said:

WoW has a loop that hardly dies when it comes to its player base, it's something special by itself.

I assume that's because WoW was the first MMORPG for most of its players. And for many of them also the last. WoW aiming to create a MMORPG for people that don't like traditional MMORPGs also most likely plays a role in its disconnect from the rest of the MMORPG market.
    LFG!
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Dullahan said:

I find it funny that people consider all these other mmos different from WoW when the primary mode of advancement is solo quest progression, and the "end game" consists of mostly queuing up for casual events, most of which can be achieved solo or part of completely informal constructs.

It's all the same people. A few gimmicks and slightly different art style don't make it different.

You can pretty much change this and have it apply to nearly any industry (see below).
    "I find it funny that people consider all these other cars different from Fords when the primary mode of advancement is tires, and the "end game" consists of mostly driving, most of which can be achieved solo or part of completely informal constructs.

It's all the same people. A few gimmicks and slightly different art style don't make it different."

First, people fail to acknowledge innovation in any form. Also, they'll strip down comparisons so that they suit their agendas. I'm sure I could compare almost any MMO to WoW and have it be a "WoW Clone" through completely accurate comparison.

Just wait until Pantheon is released. I'm sure you'll spend the vast majority of your time explaining to people how it's NOT a WoW clone and attempting, mostly unsuccessfully, to express the magnitude of how different it is. It will likely be the equivalent of you giving a 15 minute diatribe on how amazing it is and how different it is for a response of. *shoulder shrug* "Still looks like WoW..." *walk away*

If you've got kids, you know what I'm talking about... 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    We'll know when WoW is finally dying when people stop hating it. Until that point, it will continue to occupy waaaaay too much mindspace in both players and developers. Most dead games don't have legions of haters, because games tend to die when people stop caring.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

Rusque said:

We'll know when WoW is finally dying when people stop hating it. Until that point, it will continue to occupy waaaaay too much mindspace in both players and developers. Most dead games don't have legions of haters, because games tend to die when people stop caring.

I don't hate WoW.  I really am just indifferent to it; it isn't occupying any headspace with me other than that I saw this thread title pop up in the mmorpg.com pub and felt I had a few things to contribute having played it rather intently for a few years.

That said, simply because I'm indifferent to it doesn't mean I am blind to its flaws; I remember why I stopped playing.  However, all told I think it is a pretty awesome game, and the numbers agree.  It's just not for me.

/shrug  :)

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Rusque said:

We'll know WoW is finally dying when they release WoW 2 :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

CrazKanuk said:

Rusque said:

We'll know WoW is finally dying when they release WoW 2 :) 

WoW 2:  Electric Gnomaloo...
  • jroginskjroginsk Member CommonPosts: 1
    @Wraithone. Yeah I agree
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765

eHug said:

I assume that's because WoW was the first MMORPG for most of its players. And for many of them also the last. WoW aiming to create a MMORPG for people that don't like traditional MMORPGs also most likely plays a role in its disconnect from the rest of the MMORPG market.

Once you get the player base, and they have invested quite a while on your game, if you keep pumping stuff you'll get a loyal part of the playerbase that sticks around on the long-term. WoW is exactly that, it's not that it's the best game, but has the most people that fit that case.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    King of a crumbling genre. There will never be a WoW 2 from Blizzard. Blizzard will never make another MMO. 

DMKano said:

IceAge said:

Herase said:

Depends what you mean by "King"? It has a lot of subs, but other than that, there are other games I would say are miles better than WoW.

Care to share that other games which are...MILES!! better then WoW ? MMO"s only please .. 

It's opinion don't you understand that it's different for everyone?

Chocolate is miles better than vanilla *for me*

You seriously want to argue personal preference?

Then share your opinion. I believe he was asking for that.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    AnotherDMKano said:

OP - popularity does not mean it's "good" for everyone.

When Bieber was crazy popular, for me his music still sucked ass.

Tastes vary, for many WoW is not good anymore

Well, as hard I tried to steer my daughter away she still finds the time to torment me with the Bie.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!

Yes WOW is still the "King" or #1 with subs and the money it continues to make. Personal preference aside, just because someone don't like or don't prefer WOW for whatever reason doesn't mean that it isn't the #1 MMO. That *is* reality until something else comes along which I doubt will anytime soon. 

***After returning to Azeroth after a time away, Jaina Proudmoore and Tyrande begin a long protracted duel for the affections of the Raving Rabbid!***

I agree it's done well staying alive through the years. Call it your Walmart or Starbucks of MMOs, but your comment is nothing more than subjective. 

Though, I am subded $14.99 and have xfer many characters 4-6 at a time at $25 each probably 3 times in the last 6months now.

GW2 is so much cheaper.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Why would this surprise anyone? The game has had many years to refine itself and the MMO market is stagnant right now. Sure you have other AAA MMO's out, but they are pretty much WoW clones, so why not play a better version...
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    It's a left-behind genre with an undead king.  A lich-king named WoW.

Apparently, Overwatch is the real king in 2017.

Yes WOW is still the "King" or #1 with subs and the money it continues to make. Personal preference aside, just because someone don't like or don't prefer WOW for whatever reason doesn't mean that it isn't the #1 MMO. That *is* reality until something else comes along which I doubt will anytime soon. 

***After returning to Azeroth after a time away, Jaina Proudmoore and Tyrande begin a long protracted duel for the affections of the Raving Rabbid!***

I agree it's done well staying alive through the years. Call it your Walmart or Starbucks of MMOs, but your comment is nothing more than subjective. 

Though, I am subded $14.99 and have xfer many characters 4-6 at a time at $25 each probably 3 times in the last 6months now.

GW2 is so much cheaper.

I question if you know what subjective is... Really what he said is pretty darn objective. WoW is still the most played MMO in the west. 

Hey, look, I don't play it. I played it for about 5 months total. Not my kind of game - I enjoyed some aspects and loathed others. But FACTS are FACTS, my friend. Nothing subjective about it. I don't play WoW, don't care for it. But I do care for facts. And I can't stand people lying or hating.

I am loyal to no game. But I know facts, and I am intelligent enough to understand a boatload of people love WoW. And for 13 years we have seen nothing come close... make your own judgments on that. I certainly have.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Golelorn said:

GW2 is so much cheaper.

I question if you know what subjective is... Really what he said is pretty darn objective. WoW is still the most played MMO in the west. 

Hey, look, I don't play it. I played it for about 5 months total. Not my kind of game - I enjoyed some aspects and loathed others. But FACTS are FACTS, my friend. Nothing subjective about it. I don't play WoW, don't care for it. But I do care for facts. And I can't stand people lying or hating.

I am loyal to no game. But I know facts, and I am intelligent enough to understand a boatload of people love WoW. And for 13 years we have seen nothing come close... make your own judgments on that. I certainly have.

I'm wondering where you are getting your facts from? Blizzard no longer publishes sub numbers, nor do any other games.

So I ask, how do really know?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    FFXIV is really the only option left in the whole genre unless you want to play WoW. That is literally it. In WoW I literally mash random buttons and win.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Golelorn said:

GW2 is so much cheaper.

What facts? I never lied or hated on the game. Someone who purely labelled the game as KING is nothing more than a personal opinion.

I like how you threw in "make your own judgement", because that's not subjective at all.

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited April 2017
    WoW has been in a slow decline for a very long time but as the genre is declining around it, it is still at the top. The part of the "WoW still being king" thing that frustrates me is most MMOs still model themselves around WoW.

We're slowly moving further and further from WoW clones but it's massive influences are still evident in every major title. The only titles breaking from it entirely are games that consumers are bankrolling themselves through crowdfunding. And that is pretty darn sad when consumers have to risk their own money for a shot at the product they want because the investors are so completely out of touch with the market.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I havn't seen any numbers for Wow in a while but I assume it still is over Lineages 3 million paying customers. But even with that Wow is losing players and the only question is how fast while Lineage been stable for years and actually gained some back so it wont be king forever.

But it is sad if Wow gets beaten by an even older game and nothing in the making seems to be able to overtake it. A really good expansion for ESO, GW2 or FF XIV seems the only possible alternative (or a so horrible patch for Wow that those games beat it anyways but that is very unlikely, I don't think Blizzard are dumb enough to NGE it).
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736

Loke666 said:

I havn't seen any numbers for Wow in a while but I assume it still is over Lineages 3 million paying customers. But even with that Wow is losing players and the only question is how fast while Lineage been stable for years and actually gained some back so it wont be king forever.

But it is sad if Wow gets beaten by an even older game and nothing in the making seems to be able to overtake it. A really good expansion for ESO, GW2 or FF XIV seems the only possible alternative (or a so horrible patch for Wow that those games beat it anyways but that is very unlikely, I don't think Blizzard are dumb enough to NGE it).

I think the removal of skill trees was the NGE of WoW for me. At least that's when the game went from boring but bearable in small doses to "I will never touch this title ever again unless they reverse this crap."

The fact it wasn't the NGE for everyone is evidence of the caliber of WoW's primary market though.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

CrazKanuk said:

Dullahan said:

You can pretty much change this and have it apply to nearly any industry (see below).
    "I find it funny that people consider all these other cars different from Fords when the primary mode of advancement is tires, and the "end game" consists of mostly driving, most of which can be achieved solo or part of completely informal constructs.

It's all the same people. A few gimmicks and slightly different art style don't make it different."

First, people fail to acknowledge innovation in any form. Also, they'll strip down comparisons so that they suit their agendas. I'm sure I could compare almost any MMO to WoW and have it be a "WoW Clone" through completely accurate comparison.

Just wait until Pantheon is released. I'm sure you'll spend the vast majority of your time explaining to people how it's NOT a WoW clone and attempting, mostly unsuccessfully, to express the magnitude of how different it is. It will likely be the equivalent of you giving a 15 minute diatribe on how amazing it is and how different it is for a response of. *shoulder shrug* "Still looks like WoW..." *walk away*

If you've got kids, you know what I'm talking about... 

Sorry, but no. I'm talking about the underlying philosophy, not just the surface. Yes, things are changing. Games require more moving and are making use of better internet infrastructure and pings. Games are increasing number of pixels in textures. Games are changing the way you pay for things.

What isn't changing is the appeal to casuals and utter lack of cooperative play and immersion in a genre bearing the title online roleplaying game.