Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Proudly Announces 30 Million Players - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlizzard Proudly Announces 30 Million Players - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

Overwatch News - Blizzard has proudly announced that Overwatch has scored 30 million players in its first year. The announcement was made via the Overwatch Twitter account with an appropriately juggernaut-ish looking Reinhardt and with gratitude to its community.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Didn't Blizzard say a year ago they would not play the numbers game anymore? Maybe I'm wrong.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Blizzard's marketing team is EASILY summed up in one sentence...
    Tell them about our numbers,tell them they should play because millions of others are playing.
    It is very weak marketing to take this approach,like you could hire a kid out of college to perform the marketing lead role for Blizzard and likely do a better job.

There is ONLY ONE thing that matters to me and it is not weather Joe Blow is playing,i only care about the  game itself,what it offers,how much EFFORT went into it and the quality of the result.

You could tell me Obama,Wayne Gretzky,Trump,Lebron James are all playing and it would not do a single thing for me.I only care about the game,NOT the numbers.

As to the question above poster asked...I have no idea if they said that because this has ALWAYS been their tactic,so i highly doubt they said anything of the sort.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If i was Bobby Kotick i would be like WTF,we pay this marketing team big money and this is all they got?
    So my assumption like everything in life is that as long as the money keeps rolling nobody questions anything.
    That of course would mean VERY poor management,especially if things all of a sudden went south for Blizzard.However myself and likely everyone else can clearly see that Blizzard is in no current state to worry about possibly going downhill,they can still sell sand to a desert camel.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 448

Didn't Blizzard say a year ago they would not play the numbers game anymore? Maybe I'm wrong.

They sure did. Guess that only applies when subscribers are leaving in droves.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

They said they won't announce subscriber numbers for WoW anymore. But since Overwatch is a B2P game with no sub, 30 million players = 30 million boxes sold.
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    I feel like this number isn't correct. Is it number of players actually playing or just copies sold?? I bought a copy and it was great for a month but quickly lost it's hype charm for me; so am I in that number?

Phixion13 said:

I feel like this number isn't correct. Is it number of players actually playing or just copies sold?? I bought a copy and it was great for a month but quickly lost it's hype charm for me; so am I in that number?

It's a B2P game with no sub, so number of players listed will be boxes sold. The actual quote from the tweet is "More than 30 million players have charged into Overwatch!"
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Wizardry said:

Tell them about our numbers,tell them they should play because millions of others are playing.
    It is very weak marketing to take this approach,like you could hire a kid out of college to perform the marketing lead role for Blizzard and likely do a better job.

There is ONLY ONE thing that matters to me and it is not weather Joe Blow is playing,i only care about the  game itself,what it offers,how much EFFORT went into it and the quality of the result.

You could tell me Obama,Wayne Gretzky,Trump,Lebron James are all playing and it would not do a single thing for me.I only care about the game,NOT the numbers.

As to the question above poster asked...I have no idea if they said that because this has ALWAYS been their tactic,so i highly doubt they said anything of the sort.

It might seem like a simple marketing strategy, but you should never underestimate human stupidity. They see a number and think that they are missing on something cause the number is big. Sheeple...
    As Einstein said "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Still that being said the game is nevertheless really good. Not playing it anymore, but I can't lie to myself and hate for no reason. It's my favorite FPS. At least till Quake Champions comes out.
    I will see whether it remains my favorite after that or not :P
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Numbers which reflect positive info are always worth publishing, especially when in the 10s of millions.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Lol , Wizardry yapping away again. The game is massive, get used to it, and growing.
  • Moms_SpaghettiMoms_Spaghetti Member UncommonPosts: 15
    And yet i cant find matches here in brazil.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    sex sell.
  • Hashcow101Hashcow101 Member UncommonPosts: 105

Forgrimm said:

Phixion13 said:

It's a B2P game with no sub, so number of players listed will be boxes sold. The actual quote from the tweet is "More than 30 million players have charged into Overwatch!"

Then they are wrong there is not 30mill playing so we can assume to cut their bs numbers in half to probly 15mill

"May Your Head Explode And Blood Swell From The Wound"
    - Hashcow

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Forgrimm said:

Phixion13 said:

Then they are wrong there is not 30mill playing so we can assume to cut their bs numbers in half to probly 15mill

And? It s still massive.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Kyleran said:

Numbers which reflect positive info are always worth publishing, especially when in the 10s of millions.

Yeah It would make it even better if they stopped reporters in the middle of an interview about their CCG to hand them charts containing these OW numbers. :proud:

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Forgrimm said:

Phixion13 said:

How are they wrong? lol They never said "30 million players currently playing". They specifically said "More than 30 million players have charged into Overwatch!". Again, it's not a sub-based game. A box sold is a box sold. They could only have 1 million people currently playing and that still wouldn't invalidate the announcement or make it "wrong"
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Wizardry said:

If i was Bobby Kotick i would be like WTF,we pay this marketing team big money and this is all they got?
    So my assumption like everything in life is that as long as the money keeps rolling nobody questions anything.
    That of course would mean VERY poor management,especially if things all of a sudden went south for Blizzard.However myself and likely everyone else can clearly see that Blizzard is in no current state to worry about possibly going downhill,they can still sell sand to a desert camel.

It is a twitter post for crying out loud....how much "advertising" do you expect from that?

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

Wizardry said:

Oh look. It's @wizardry the most negative poster ever. Do you actually like things, like anything at all, or do you always have a rain cloud of cynicism hanging around you? I've become convinced you don't play video games at all. 
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346

Wizardry said:

Oh look. It's @wizardry the most negative poster ever. Do you actually like things, like anything at all, or do you always have a rain cloud of cynicism hanging around you? I've become convinced you don't play video games at all. 

He played FFXI methinks

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    If it only had 1 player all that matter to me is is it a good game.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Forgrimm said:

Phixion13 said:

Not quite sure it'll be numbers sold. For consoles, you can grab a 2nd hand copy and play the game normally and then resell the game. It would not surprise me if in this example they count 3 players instead of just one...
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Reizla said:

Forgrimm said:

Phixion13 said:

Not quite sure it'll be numbers sold. For consoles, you can grab a 2nd hand copy and play the game normally and then resell the game. It would not surprise me if in this example they count 3 players instead of just one...

No, those 3 players would only count as a single player, as  only a single copy of the game was actually sold, perhaps that is one of the reasons why consoles are increasingly moving towards digital only content rather than physical discs. :o
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2017

Phry said:

No, those 3 players would only count as a single player, as  only a single copy of the game was actually sold, perhaps that is one of the reasons why consoles are increasingly moving towards digital only content rather than physical discs. :o

You sure about that? As I'd assume since there typically aren't any codes attached to console games, it goes by accounts created/enabled, through the device. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KopogerooKopogeroo Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited April 2017
    Class session in effect:

With WOW game tokens being able to be converted to b.net balance to buy Blizzard games like Overwatch this further proves that this game has its foot in the same regions like World of Warcraft. Yes, I'm talking about North America, Europe, Australia and then even South America starting with Brazil, etc. Then you have China, South Korea, Taiwan, etc.

All I know is in many of these regions the box might worth equivalent to $1-3 U.S and then on top you have a lot of players already from WOW using their extra gold to just activate Overwatch since they have nothing useful/good/fun to spend their WOW currency on.

Activision-Blizzard stock has went up since the change and only cause they received surge of revenue by letting players dump their currency for the whales to receive their in-game currency with $ while Blizzard was receiving big profit from each transactions. In the long run this will damage Blizzard permanently but they are counting on it with exit strategy since they already see the reality they are incapable to retain and bring back the numbers they once maintained in their products.

There are like 10,000 active, unique players doing PvP in World of Warcraft at best right now on in North + South America + Australia and many of them are still active on free time until they run out of tokens. This can be a good news for gamers and game producers out there since Activision-Blizzard has a very small minority of the gaming market where it counts in North America + Australia.+ some European countries We will be seeing bigger production of products coming and yea change is inevitable.