Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Catibrie

Acclimation

• A way to respond to the challenges of harsh environments.

• Infusions are injected into different parts of your body to acclimate your character.

• Climates are based on a Tier system, from 1 to 5.

• Lower tiers are fairly attainable

• Higher tiers come from raiding and epic style quests.

• Can mix and match Acclimation types.

• Infusions last through death until you remove them, but you can apply them again using the Acclimation window.

• There will be environment combinations. Examples:

• Crater: Scorching/Toxic

• Mountains: Frigid/Windshear

• Underwater: Pressure/Anaerobic

Acclimation Window (1)

Acclimation Window (2)

Cohh’s Monk acclimates himself for the Frigid climate of Amberfaet

Monk

Monk spells

Monk actions

Catibrie

Updates

• Build listed as PantheonClient_0.5.85.2:

• Combat log split into your hits and misses on top, other hits and misses on bottom:

• Alarmist type of mobs immediately alert others:

• New combat music.

• A new zone, South Saol Peninsula, lies in a forgotten corner of Kingsreach. Due to neglect of the area, it was colonized by an outside group called the Seraph, brought here by Soo-jha Tahl, the Reckless Magician, and his personal loyal army.

• Two animators working on the game.

• Many new spell effects and animations.

• Can’t memorize different spells in combat.

• Several UI improvements, such as brighter group directional indicators:

Classes

• Cleric, Druid, and Shaman are “priest” classes.

• Wizards have familiar pets to buff spells.

• Rogues are a DPS class, but have some crowd control. “Smoke and Mirrors” utility/CC emergency situation ~75% stamina chance to fail 30 second duration CC.

• Shamans have a mana regeneration line.

• Shamans don’t have resurrection.

• Shamans don’t heal as well as Clerics, but have a lot of other utility in damage, buffs, and debuffs.

• Ranged classes are true ranged classes, and their ammo won’t be overly tedious to acquire or use.

• Your group class makeup dictates your strategy and tactics.

• The classes played in the live stream were:

Catibrie
    • Wizard

• War Wizard

• Lore only class only played by Human character Aradune (Brad “Aradune” McQuaid).

• Currently close to the Warrior class, with more of a damage and spellcasting focus.

• Isn’t a planned player class.

PvP

• At least one dedicated PvP server at launch.

• PvP and PvE will be separate.

• PvE and PvP balance mechanics and formulas will be separate.

• There will be consented duels and certain areas designated as PvP arenas for PvP on PvE servers.

• Changes can be made to class abilities for PvP without disturbing the balance in PvE, and vice versa.

Screenshots

Click thumbnail for larger view

Catibrie
    edited April 2017

Post edited by Nanfoodle on
    Catibrie
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Nice work!
    Why are they still making games for 2004 though? Call me when devs remove their rose colored glasses.
    Catibrie
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    You're right, we totally need another vapid screen shot simulator mmo with dance dance revolution combat.
    Catibrie

• RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259

Nanfoodle said:

Acclimation

• A way to respond to the challenges of harsh environments.

• Infusions are injected into different parts of your body to acclimate your character.

• Climates are based on a Tier system, from 1 to 5.

• Lower tiers are fairly attainable

• Higher tiers come from raiding and epic style quests.

• Can mix and match Acclimation types.

• Infusions last through death until you remove them, but you can apply them again using the Acclimation window.

• There will be environment combinations. Examples:

• Crater: Scorching/Toxic

• Mountains: Frigid/Windshear

• Underwater: Pressure/Anaerobic

.............................................Acclimation a way of locking content behind a pointless feature.................................................................

Acclimation Window (1)

Acclimation Window (2)

i fixed it for you

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800

LIOKI said:

Nice work!
    Why are they still making games for 2004 though?

Because no one else is and there's demand for it?
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499

LIOKI said:

Nice work!
    Why are they still making games for 2004 though? Call me when devs remove their rose colored glasses.

We've had our fill of cash shop dps bunny jump jamboree... Oldschool FTW... 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2017

Rhygarth said:

.............................................Acclimation a way of locking content behind a pointless feature.................................................................

Yeah it does sound like that's more about locking content behind a gear grind than an interesting climate feature. If that's the case.. Boo, I'd prefer a survival type game element over that, leading to more downtime and an easier death.
    Catibrie

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited April 2017

Distopia said:

Rhygarth said:

Yeah it does sound like that's more about locking content behind a gear grind than an interesting climate feature. If that's the case.. Boo, I'd prefer a survival type game element over that, leading to more downtime and an easier death.

I think what's being missed is that no one said the tier acclimation is confined to one set spot or that it's like an on/off switch of whether it affects you or not.  It could be a whole dungeon or zone.  The protection might only mitigate some of the damage so you don't die immediately.  The survival type game element would still apply in that case.  Most likely these "road blocks" would have some type of lore attached to it.  Like a Lich hiding its Phylactery in an underwater dungeon for protection or trying to kill a Fire Giant at the bottom of a Volcano.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Separate mechanics for pve and pvp.  Yay!
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Okay, they finally showed something tangible about the Acclimation system.  Wasn't impressed.  It boils down to a mashup of an armor item / buff / flag to allow access to restricted areas.  Pretty much along the lines I predicted.  Nothing really new.  I'd be curious to see how much damage was being done to the character, and how much a HoT and / or regen would cut into that.  My guess is that healing would counter the environment effects, much like the lava was easily countered by regen in EQ1.  Since both characters made it about 1/2 way across that bridge, I wonder if it would be possible to run all the way across the bridge?  Also, what would have happened if they only equipped 1 of the Acclimation items/buffs/flags?

The graphics are still impressive.  I'd dub these as the not-quite-as-placeholder-character-models-as-before version.  I did like the character models, but they seemed equivalent to other games, such as ESO.  The animations were good, and the characters were detailed.  This seemed to be the most improved area.  There were all sorts of mystery things on the screen, most notably, the upper right corner.  That seemed like a placeholder for something in exactly the place where other games have implemented a radar-like mini-map.  That was one of the things I thought Pantheon was going to stay away from.  Guess we'll see.

The really big complaint I have is against the game play.  It is still the basic play as we saw in EQ1.  A group engages a single mob, while extra mobs are pacified and a healer tries to keep everyone alive.  From a CC perspective, whatever CC method (rogues, I believe) lasted far too long.  In one instance, one mob waited for more than 2 minutes, and was instantly taunted to the tank.  I suspect that the mez and the taunt are both overpowered.  That can be adjusted, and desperately needs to be.  I'd like to see mez increase the hate against the mezzer the longer the mob stays mezzed.

One thing I suspect from this particular stream, is that the game will be magnitudes more difficult if the group doesn't have voice chat.  That means we will see how the MMORPG.com community will adapt to that, with a decided prejudice against in-game VoIP.  How social can a game be without PUGs?  We may find out.

Still dislike (personal preferences):  behind the shoulder camera, mouse-look, icon size (a little small for my eyes), floating damage.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Distopia said:

Rhygarth said:

I think what's being missed is that no one said the tier acclimation is confined to one set spot or that it's like an on/off switch of whether it affects you or not.  It could be a whole dungeon or zone.  The protection might only mitigate some of the damage so you don't die immediately.  The survival type game element would still apply in that case.  Most likely these "road blocks" would have some type of lore attached to it.  Like a Lich hiding its Phylactery in an underwater dungeon for protection or trying to kill a Fire Giant at the bottom of a Volcano.

That could certainly be true, I just hope they don't go the typical MMO route of the past "how can we turn this cool feature into a time consuming chore"... 

Catibrie

Mendel said:

There were all sorts of mystery things on the screen, most notably, the upper right corner.  That seemed like a placeholder for something in exactly the place where other games have implemented a radar-like mini-map.  That was one of the things I thought Pantheon was going to stay away from.  Guess we'll see.

Are you talking about Cohh's in-game advertising?  The streamer put that up there.  It's not part of the game.
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421

Nyctelios said:

The stream was great and I really liked the monk animations. The game feels like my old Neverwinter Night friday with friends.

The only thing that bothers me is the UI and global light effects. They need to improve the global light, it makes everything looks flat and outdated.

If that's what you really wanted, needed, you would still be playing it. There are reasons we move on. It's the same as old girlfriends. Fun to think about, maybe even alright to go back and stick it in once in awhile but there is a reason they are ex's.
    I hope I'm wrong. I hope this, hell any indie mmo for that fact, turns out to be great and a blast but I think we all know better deep down.
    edited April 2017

Nyctelios said:

That's why I love so much Frostfall + Campfire on my Skyrim: If you are cold certain skills get worse. Your hands are frigid so your pickpocket skills are almost useless and your one handed combat is reduced.

I think something like that translated to mmorpg theme would benefit the game more than "you take damage unless you have x item". And as the person above said it would make more sense the Lich would hide in a extreme place where the adventurers would face all kinds of problems to reach and the battle itself would require resolve since is its lair and it has advantages instead of "Well, no heroes will find me here except by the fact that they grind for an item and just ignore everything... I should have listen my mom and tried to work with Vecna, they have great insurance and bonuses."

Yeah frostfall is an awesome mod, as well as wet and a few others. There are many ways they can tie climate to gameplay, even taking queues from games like Divinity OS would be great. How elemental changes effect skills and the like, (EX- being in a snow covered area reflects on frost magic, a volcanic area reflects on fire etc..). Anything is better than the age old MMORPG approach of just using gear and grinds to get it, as their main game-play focus.
    Catibrie

LIOKI said:

Nyctelios said:

The stream was great and I really liked the monk animations. The game feels like my old Neverwinter Night friday with friends.

The only thing that bothers me is the UI and global light effects. They need to improve the global light, it makes everything looks flat and outdated.

maybe even alright to go back and stick it in once in awhile 

Catibrie
    edited April 2017

Nyctelios said:

Hmmmmmmmm! Having different versions of your skills due certain extreme climate changes! That sounds really cool, actually! And would make really easy to create different mechanics in dungeons and boss fights.

So, you could have something like those infusions, but instead of neglecting damage they would avoid certain skill changes. Then you could mix and match to optimize your role to certain bosses or a preferable build you have.

And maybe the environment wouldn't give only negative effects and depending on classes like monk or shaman it could buff you so using infusions to neglect certain effects but keeping others in favor of their positive effects even if they give you some negative ones.

I'll actually use this on my D&D campaign.

All cool ideas, I was thinking it would be good for elements to effect elemental magic as it does in Divinity OS. Water turns Lighting spells into AOEs, Rain causes fire spells to lose their potency, Being in a frost covered area, ups defense to fire, yet creates more weakness to frost magic. Campfires warm you up making frost defense lessen and strengthens the effects of fire magic on you. 

It could also effect offensive spell strength like volcanic areas making fire magic more potent etc. 
    Catibrie

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Torval said:

I love the idea of the acclimation system. I'm not sure about the implementation. It looks very fiddly for no real reason or benefit. There's got to be a better way than everyone being a literal potion junky.

Think back to how Irrational ditched the needle jab in later editions of the game. Interesting idea, but it gets old after a while and you start realizing, my character would never keep doing this.

Lots of good info in those links. Nice job.

I agree with you. The other thing that wasn't clear is "why would I ever take an acclimation off"?

They said it lasts as long as you want. So why not get the best acclimation infusions and be done with it? IN which case they have a game system that is really over shortly after the player starts.

Why not keep the system but instead of these infusions make the player wear warm clothes in cold areas, put a salve on (that wears off, but maybe after 30 minutes or an hour) in poisonous areas, and maybe a similar salve in hot areas? Or maybe players have to strip down which means no armor (which adds interesting game play in my opinion).
    Catibrie
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Also don't like having to use a consumable for weather acclimation, I thought it was going to be a skill that increased the more time you spent in harsh conditions "You get better at cold acclimation 68" or something like that... 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Gyva02 said:

Also don't like having to use a consumable for weather acclimation, I thought it was going to be a skill that increased the more time you spent in harsh conditions "You get better at cold acclimation 68" or something like that... 

Yea but then once you get to a certain level you are done. At least a consumable means that harsh conditions "should" always be a consideration. Unless of course you can keep an infusion forever in which case why bother?
    Catibriecraftseeker
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited April 2017

Sovrath said:

Gyva02 said:

Yea but then once you get to a certain level you are done. At least a consumable means that harsh conditions "should" always be a consideration. Unless of course you can keep an infusion forever in which case why bother?

Yeah i don't think it's something one should ever be able to skirt the effects of. A slight defense through skill allocation would be okay though in my eyes, a northman fares better in the snow than a southerner after all. 

I just don't like the idea of tying it to an item for a character slot, as it implies grind to me. Or at least a minor annoyance, as is typical of many MMOs. They seem to think all things have to be tied to some chore for people to remain interested I just don't think that's true. 
    Catibrie

Sovrath said:

Gyva02 said:

It shouldn't be easy, it should take a really long time to achieve that cap. but the idea of injecting something to acclimate to weather is kinda weird. Now if you had to get some really super rare epic potion to achieve those last few skill ups that would be cool. RPG's mmorpg's of yesteryear were all about making your guy stronger through his or her trials and time commitment, not about keeping stocked up on consumables... But if this is the way Pantheon is going I'll still give it a go for sure, maybe we just don't have enough details yet to see what they are really going to do with this system.