Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was all ready to pledge after the stream, then I looked at the pledge page...

ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
I was ready to drop $100 after the stream today, thinking that it was a pretty decent pledge.  Then I look at the pledge page, and it's one of the lowest packages there is.  Packages range from 50, 100, 150, 250, 300, 500, 1k+.  This isn't really unusual among kickstarters, but what got me was what was offered at the different tiers, and then on top of that, what the most popular tier was.  $1,000 being the most popular pledge tier.

For 1 grand or more, you don't even get a lifetime sub, you get 6 months.  Not only can I not help but wonder who's got a grand to drop on a game that's still in alpha, but I'm astounded by the fact that this is the most popular pledge tier.  Maybe I'm just old, but I can remember when you bought a game for $50-60  and then had a $15 sub on top of that, and that was all.  Now we're expected to drop a grand on a game that's still in development, in the hopes that we like the end product?

I mean, assuming $15 a month for a sub, and a $60 box price.  It would take me 5 years to pay a grand in box+ sub fees.  And people are dropping a grand left and right on this game?  I really don't understand what gamer culture has come to if this is the case.  The microtransaction shops that infest games are bad enough (can remember when games supported themselves on subs alone), but this is just crazy.

As much as I really enjoyed the stream, and really admire what Visionary Realms is doing, I would have to be insane to drop a grand on the game instead of putting that money in my child's college fund, or my own retirement fund.  I understand that VR is trying to make the game without having to cow down to suits telling them what to do, and that's why they are seeking crowdfunding, but at this point it just feels like rape.  Maybe if we got to see some dividend returns after the game is released and making money, making the pledges more of an investment in something you believe in.  But as it is now, it just feels like Brad and team are just going to be laughing all the way to the bank once the game is released.  

And, yes I know, "If i don't like it, don't pledge".  But that's the real rub, I do like it, and I wanted to pledge something.  But at this point it feels like if i'm not pledging a grand, I may as well just not pledge at all.
Hellidolmaskedweasel

Comments

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    they probably just say that most common is 1k so that you are more likely to do it . ..?
    rojoArcueid

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited April 2017
    There is no way $1k pledge is the most popular. That's called marketing, my friend.

I see no reason why you feel obligated to pledge a grand based on something a tiny image is suggesting. If you like the game, pledge whatever you want. Go the $50 route and grab a copy of the game and a few perks. If you want to test, go a little higher. No reason to feel constrained.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    I don't really see what the issue is. Drop your $100 and be done with it if you want to pledge.

Is it that you "want to pledge" or you want to pledge AND get high level bonuses? Because reading your post it looks like you wanted to spend about $100 and get very high level bonuses and then were shocked that those bonuses were wayyyy above what you wanted to spend.

As far as people spending $1000, you underestimate how many people don't think $1000 is a lot of money.

Would "I" spend $1000? No. but if I made well into 6 figures then maybe as it wouldn't really be much but a drop in the bucket provided that I thought the bonuses were worth it to me. I really doubt they would be as all I ever want to do is support the game and get into beta, maybe a name reservation. Anything else isn't worth it to me.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    You do get a 50 pledge gets you a copy of the game and some perks? 100 gets you 2 copies of the game + perks + Beta access? Support or dont :) great part is you don't need to. See you at launch if that's what you want :) 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2017
    OP, it took less than the first generation of crowdfunded products actually being released for crowdfunding to go from "gamer-friendly alternative" to "a better way to fleece customers for cash."  As others have mentioned, just wait til the game is in a state that you want to play right now, then drop whatever cash you think it is worth for a pledge package (or just buy a copy, if you wait to release).

Crowdfunding was gamer-friendly for a New York minute.  It has since become awfully perverted in its purpose, until gamers are paying exponentially more for an unfinished product than they would've ever imagined paying for a finished one.  My advice in general at this point in the game (game meaning the crowdfunding "game" in general) is to avoid pledging like it's the plague.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Torval said:

I think it takes $500 (maybe $250) to get testing access immediately. That is probably a bit daunting for most people. I can understand the shock. 

Just a couple of years ago people laughed at Archeage and Landmark charging $150 for that privilege. Apparently they weren't charging enough since the market seems to bear much more than that.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I am astounded that anyone would give Brad a single dollar after his history of abuse and misappropriation of development funds. 
    railshot
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    When studios that could obtain a portion of the billions of investor capital available choose to abuse the kickstarter free money they can basically legally steal rather than take on investors and legal contracts that require forward progress and development benchmarks it paints for me exactly what kind of people that are making the decisions.  
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well there could be an agenda behind the claims,doesn't matter one way or another.
    I do not consider any terminology to change the fact devs are simply asking people to pay MORE than a game deserves on a whim it might finish as a quality product.
    The housing industry could be judged as similar,you pay a contractor in hopes he might build your dream home with no problems.The difference of course being ,penalties if it is not done to your satisfaction or of quality effort.
    Game developers want their cake and eat it too,they want TOO much money with no guaranteed promise of a quality product.
    I do not and will NEVER condone asking money for unfinished products and getting around law by claiming they are "PLEDGES" or "Early access" or whatever other terminology to pretend these are not simple UNFAIR sales.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    .... so dont pledge $1000? They had alpha for $100+ before, but they had to start cutting it sooner or later. Despite the fact we get something for them these are still pledges not "gimme my moneys worth" pre-orders.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Yeah, don't bother with those. I'm not doing it anymore. I'm tired of the companies milking me for as much money as they can get and not delivering what they promised. I am NOT going to pay to beta their game for them when they used to pay people to do that and deliver a much more polished game on release. 
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    LOL, they have a $10,000 pledge.
    edited April 2017

Torval said:

I think it takes $500 (maybe $250) to get testing access immediately. That is probably a bit daunting for most people. I can understand the shock. 

I would recommend waiting until the beta period gets closer and then see if buying in makes sense. 

VR is not selling beta slots, there is a limited number of them and when they are filled. They will be removed from the pledges. So if you want one get it soon as I'm am sure they won't last long. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Moirae said:

I am NOT going to pay to beta their game for them when they used to pay people to do that and deliver a much more polished game on release. 

People talk about that as if it's recent history in gaming, that practice ended damn near 20 years ago. And it wasn't very common.... even then 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

FuryV said:

LOL, they have a $10,000 pledge.

For that I would need Firiona Vie as my mail order bride. 
    Roin

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    When you pay a company to test a product for them... dark times, dark times indeed.
    Octagon7711Blaze_Rocker
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

LIOKI said:

When you pay a company to test a product for them... dark times, dark times indeed.

Ssshhh!  We're in the digital world, here, the rules are different!  For....  reasons.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    It's to be a donation to help them make the game !

The OP wants all his money back..... Let me ask, when you go to Church and they pass the basket, do you put money in or take money out ?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited April 2017

Kayo83 said:

.... so dont pledge $1000? They had alpha for $100+ before, but they had to start cutting it sooner or later. Despite the fact we get something for them these are still pledges not "gimme my moneys worth" pre-orders.

Ah yes it's a pledge. Where gamers go fund developers in order to make a better world. It's just like the Make a Wish Foundation except for healthy adults with 6 figures + jobs. Nothing as crass as sales happening here :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited April 2017

Nanfoodle said:

Torval said:

I would recommend waiting until the beta period gets closer and then see if buying in makes sense. 

VR is not selling beta slots, there is a limited number of them and when they are filled. They will be removed from the pledges. So if you want one get it soon as I'm am sure they won't last long. 

You heard him.  You can't stand the large pledges but there are only limited slots, so you gotta buy now, don't delay!
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Distopia said:

Moirae said:

I am NOT going to pay to beta their game for them when they used to pay people to do that and deliver a much more polished game on release. 

People talk about that as if it's recent history in gaming, that practice ended damn near 20 years ago. And it wasn't very common.... even then 

Not only that we are way past pay to beta, we have pay to pre-pre-alpha now.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Nilden said:

Distopia said:

Moirae said:

That's nothing, now we have pay to be "King"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2017

Nilden said:

It's actually worse, now we pay to talk about the game that we may get to test at some point. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    This will be a niche game that is meant to serve a small but currently underserved crowd of gamers.  As such, the amount of money from donors is gonna be a bit steep because there will be fewer donors.

It's perfectly sensible to have your concerns, OP, but really, all you have to do is pay the $50.  That's what you'd pay for any new MMO, anyway.  And if it features the gameplay you want that other MMO's are lacking...?

Personally, I'd wait for it to launch.  It'll be 50 bucks then, and they will try to entice new players after the game launches, too.  And if they're true to their philosophy, donors won't get P2W, right?

Rhoklaw said:

OP has the misconception of a lot of people of our veteran status. These crowdfunded games, the pledge tiers are not the same as buying the game at a store or on steam. When you pledge you are basically investing in a game that you WANT to succeed. A lot of us are tired of the corporate destruction of the MMO genre. The regurgitated crap of F2P and cash shops coupled with hollow content and anti social mechanics.

I'm not pledging a $1000 to buy a game. I'm pledging a $1000 to hopefully have access to an MMO that makes sense. That is how sick and tired I am of this genre. This doesn't mean everyone has to pledge a $1000 to play this game, but enough of us do in order for the game to become a finished product. So don't feel obligated or left out. There is nothing stopping you or anyone else from waiting till the game launches and buying it for $50-60. All that matters is that it does launch, so we can all sit back at the tavern, sipping our ale and thank the gods their isn't a Night Elf hooker upstairs role playing in public chat.

QFT