Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playerbase Health?

laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
Steam Charts shows the current online players at 400, with a 600 all time peak.
Before the last wipe, there were around 30 Steam players online.

1. Do a lot more people play the game outside of Steam?

2. What is the project health like? I find it difficult to believe 600 players is enough to warrant long term viability.

I do not mean to bash on the game. I was looking forward to it. I do not want to invest my time into something that will be closed next month.

Comments

• rune_74rune_74 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Top the other night was 750 including steam.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Don't expect much untill the game launches.  But then again these early access games are like cocaine and people keep going back for more.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It looked like from day 1,nothing more than a money grab to those nostalgic about LordBritish. and the old days of Ultima.

It looks ok,sort of like EQ2 but imo the animations and architecture look dated,simply not  good enough for 2016.I am afraid that Pantheon will be VERY similar,the difference being,Pantheon won't be selling you plots or cash shop at enormous prices.
    Some of those early access packages were totally laughable to think anyone would pay that.
    None the les when comes to the game,imo not good enough,devs can do MUCH better,i am not buying into nostalgic or some 2002 game,i want a 2016 game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    I've seen a lot more people on compared to other releases.  Soltown and surrounding scenes are packed, to the point that I run Friends online more than the Multiplayer online scenerio.  I've been apart from the kickstarter days and it certainly feels alive to me.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    There is too many people right now, so I have been playing online single player mode.
  • angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    It's hard to say, SotA is so different.  It feels crowded in-game, but that is possible with just a few hundred people because of the way the world is divided into little scenes.  In other games that would not be enough to provide the needed financial support, but most of the people playing SotA's alpha are spending big.  It's fun watching the homes, towers, and castles go up.  Every time I log in, the towns have changed noticeably.  I'm not interested in spending that kind of money but I have been having fun exploring and watching the truly dedicated fans construct their world.  At this rate it will be really something by the time it finally launches (assuming they have enough momentum to keep it running).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    filmoret said:
    Don't expect much untill the game launches.  But then again these early access games are like cocaine and people keep going back for more.
    Yeh that's what I'm thinking. Steam will make it a bigger deal when it officially releases by putting it on the store's front page and probably at a minor sale price.  That will put it on more people's radar then probably along with people like me who have a personal policy of waiting for early access games to actually have a full "release" before buying.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    What makes SotA so different?
    I bought into Shards Online instead. (They are the other Ultima Online devs)
    What makes it fun and unique for you?

The biggest difference is that SotA lacks an open, seamless world.  An overworld map links dozens of small zones called "scenes".  Moving between scenes involves annoying load screens.  I think it was an unfortunate design choice. 

Within the scenes, however, the environment is very immersive.  There is no radar, no mini maps, mobs density is low and respawn is slow.  You can't con a mob until it is on top of you and visibility is everything.  Night is completely dark if you don't bring your own illumination.  Resource nodes aren't highlighted so you have to recognize the right trees and rock formations to know where to harvest.  The entire effect feels realistic and dangerous, which is what I prefer. 

If you want to quest, you must engage npc's using an open dialog system.  They don't have glowy question marks over their heads.  You have to ask the right questions (or at least hit the right key words) to discover if and how you can help them.

All of this will make the game more challenging that many would like, but I enjoy it.  They still need to add a lot more content before launch, though.  It is very much in alpha state, despite their decision to stop wiping character xp.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Riotact007Riotact007 Member UncommonPosts: 246
    graphics, player animations and combat is just so dated. Hard to feel immersed when it feels so clunky and old. 
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    The game is dead.

The devs don't care about players.
    Stay away.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

black777 said:

The game is dead.

Stay away.

They don't care about players, but they do care about PAYers!  :P
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202

black777 said:

The game is dead.

Stay away.

They don't care about players, but they do care about PAYers!  :P

Thats exactly it. These Jokers are washed up has beens that havent been involved in a successful game since UO, and only a couple of them were involved with UO and even they didn't code anything. Most of their team involve failed app devs and straight out of college designers and coders. They simply don't have the talent to make a good game.

They failed miserably with trying to make app games and couldn't get more investors to fund they're failures so they turned to Kickstarter and preyed on UO players nostalgia. These guys are still milking a few hundred people they got left even playing this game as long as they can for a paycheck. Game sucks, the devs lack talent and knowledge and the person that is managing sucks and could never reign in Spears from playing around with his stupid clunky combat project.

This is now a game for those whales that bought their own towns for thousands of dollars, enjoy those empty towns cause  they'll never fill up. They really should have called this game Titanic because it's a sinking ship that was doomed for disaster the moment they cobbled it together forgoing quality of gameplay.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Check out their forums. There seems to be regular "I'm leaving" posts from long-time backers and several "Why is everyone leaving?" from others. Many of the complaints are about moderation.

Of course some of those leaving were the same people who were instrumental getting those that disagreed with them moderated and ultimately banned from the forums. Now they're getting a taste of their own medicine.

I love it when Karma plays out.  <3

edited April 2017
    Yup, like you said some of them are the very same asshats that would sit and report and bait people into getting banned from their forums daily. Love karma.

I think the next few months more people will drop it because they are starting to see this game will be released this year and what it is now just plain sucks. They're jumping ship in this last bit to try and sell off and get some money back while there are still a few hopeful suckers left to buy their s*** Come release, if they ever call it that this year, those accounts will be worthless and no one left to buy them. This game will never get enough people to fill those whale POTs lol. Will be fun watching those whales cry to the devs begging to get something done to get more people to play this piece of crap LOL.

Lol look at the posts on their marketplace forums now lots people trying to sale their POTs and land deeds to get rid of them...Last chance folks, soon it will be too late lol.

I predict.....

*Free to play with subscriptions to the rescue....Oh snap that didn't work....Game closing ty for playing and letting us milk you for 4 years suckers, lol....New company started....Let's see if we can sucker some new folks.....*

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Rawyn said:

Yup, like you said some of them are the very same asshats that would sit and report and bait people into getting banned from their forums daily. Love karma.

I think the next few months more people will drop it because they are starting to see this game will be released this year and what it is now just plain sucks. They're jumping ship in this last bit to try and sell off and get some money back while there are still a few hopeful suckers left to buy their s*** Come release, if they ever call it that this year, those accounts will be worthless and no one left to buy them. This game will never get enough people to fill those whale POTs lol. Will be fun watching those whales cry to the devs begging to get something done to get more people to play this piece of crap LOL.

Lol look at the posts on their marketplace forums now lots people trying to sale their POTs and land deeds to get rid of them...Last chance folks, soon it will be too late lol.

I predict.....

*Free to play with subscriptions to the rescue....Oh snap that didn't work....Game closing ty for playing and letting us milk you for 4 years suckers, lol....New company started....Let's see if we can sucker some new folks.....*

I still log in occasionally and the world is empty. Empty vendors sitting on lots that haven't been accessed for months. The same twenty whales running around. 

I've seen empty lots in Owl's Head and Brittany occasionally, but most other towns only have a few occupied spaces. Every instance is a ghost town. 

I really hope this game crashes and burns soon. It needs more karmic kicks in the ass.

Rawyn said:

I predict.....

I still log in occasionally and the world is empty. Empty vendors sitting on lots that haven't been accessed for months. The same twenty whales running around. 

I've seen empty lots in Owl's Head and Brittany occasionally, but most other towns only have a few occupied spaces. Every instance is a ghost town. 

I really hope this game crashes and burns soon. It needs more karmic kicks in the ass.

I logged in during their free time periods too, same few whales I saw and a handful of new player tags. Only saw a few people at Soltown, Owls Head, and Resolute. Ghost towns everywhere else, and only saw maybe a dozen people total during prime time hours on the overhead map. The game still looks and plays like it did 2 years ago. Still the combat sucks and it's grindy as $#@&; too. At the very least this failure from this team will show people to be wary of kickstarters and to avoid investing any money ever again from any project these devs are involved in in the future. This bunch continue to use wing it as you go development and it shows.
  • EarthgirlEarthgirl Member UncommonPosts: 97
    I pledged more then I should have during the Kickstarter period.  The development of this game is the
    most awkward and disenchanting experience I have come across in gaming.  It is still not fun, and I don't see that changing.
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    I dono why you would think that is dead, how many people do you need to play a game with? Most people I see in mmos don't play with any one, and the ones that due usually go to guilds with 20 30 people.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

I dono why you would think that is dead, how many people do you need to play a game with? Most people I see in mmos don't play with any one, and the ones that due usually go to guilds with 20 30 people.

I don't think anything will drive most players out of an MMO faster than the feeling that they are alone in a ghost town.  They will flee the sinking ship.  Even if they are used to playing mainly solo in MMO's, they still want to feel that they are part of a populated game world that has some momentum.  If only SotA had a world chat so new players could get a sense that someone else was out there...But the developers have always been dead set against that, even if it was a totally optional world chat that you had to opt in to.