Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is WoW seriously still king in 2017?

Comments

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Yes WOW is still the "King" or #1 with subs and the money it continues to make. Personal preference aside, just because someone don't like or don't prefer WOW for whatever reason doesn't mean that it isn't the #1 MMO. That *is* reality until something else comes along which I doubt will anytime soon. 

***After returning to Azeroth after a time away, Jaina Proudmoore and Tyrande begin a long protracted duel for the affections of the Raving Rabbid!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 992

sayuu said:

Horusra said:

Distopia said:

Horusra said:

WoW still carries the most weight in media coverage, exposure to masses, and hype...so yes I would say it is still king.  Just cause you do not like the king does not make him not the king.  There is no "Not my President" in reality.

I don't know, ESO gives them a pretty good run as far as exposure and coverage goes in mainstream press, I rarely see WOW talked about on sites like IGN as an example. ESO also has a cross platform advantage there though. 

I did not say "press"...media is larger than gaming sites.  I have not seen ESO in modern pop culture stuff.  WoW still creeps in.  People that do not even play games know WoW, I wonder how many know Elder Scrolls.  To be King you need exposure, relevancy, and numbers (users and profits).  With those things your game is on top and other companies model parts of their stuff to you or compare themselves to you.  When they stop doing that then you are no longer king.

developers have not modeled their games  on WoW for quite some time now. . .

Black Desert
    Blade and Soul
    GuildWars 2
    Tera
    Elder Scrolls Online

Indeed the last game that tried to emulate "the King" failed hard.  

This is my thinking pretty much, WoW was the game devs followed and tried to be like, nowadays companies don't.

WoW was once a king, but it just seems like another MMO imho. It is well known as it got so much exposure over the years, south park, TV adverts, etc and had a lot of subs (not sure anymore due to no more numbers), but these days wouldn't say it's king. Not a bad game to say the least, but doesn't seem to do anything drastically better than other games to make it stand out imho
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,786

DMKano said:

IceAge said:

Herase said:

Depends what you mean by "King"? It has a lot of subs, but other than that, there are other games I would say are miles better than WoW.

Care to share that other games which are...MILES!! better then WoW ? MMO"s only please .. 

It's opinion don't you understand that it's different for everyone?

Chocolate is miles better than vanilla *for me*

You seriously want to argue personal preference?

How many times has someone said this to you on this forum? I remember distinctively having to tell you this myself. Just.....funny.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Do they even release sub numbers anymore? Is it still the highest pop game in NA/EU?

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,557

Viper482 said:

DMKano said:

IceAge said:

Herase said:

Depends what you mean by "King"? It has a lot of subs, but other than that, there are other games I would say are miles better than WoW.

Care to share that other games which are...MILES!! better then WoW ? MMO"s only please .. 

How many times has someone said this to you on this forum? I remember distinctively having to tell you this myself. Just.....funny.

Indeed, but people change. That's why we are here: To discuss and improve... I guess.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,869
    I would like to see the demographics for WoW.  Population might take a big drop when the player base start hitting their seventies, unless of course their kids and grandkids take over their accounts.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,910
       Short answer ...............yes.....

And it will remain there , and push the genre forward when they give you Wow in VR , in 2018
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,481
    I was really sad when Blizzard pulled the plug on its new game. 
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,115
    edited April 2017
    WoW has a loop that hardly dies when it comes to its player base, it's something special by itself.

I think they could stop updates or expansions to WoW and it would likely still keep on the top for years and years to come.
  • KopogerooKopogeroo Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited April 2017
    Every era is the same. I can list 20+ good reasons why humanity could not or does not need at the moment to deliver a great AAA MMORPG and it's been like this for at least 6+ years. Thankfully evolution is inevitable and it will happen through time and love. We will see at least 2-3 AAA MMORPG's by 2022 and I will surely be able to enjoy and support at least one of them for what it offers most likely until 2030+
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,516
    I find it funny that people consider all these other mmos different from WoW when the primary mode of advancement is solo quest progression, and the "end game" consists of mostly queuing up for casual events, most of which can be achieved solo or part of completely informal constructs.

It's all the same people. A few gimmicks and slightly different art style don't make it different.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 859
    Everyone has different tastes. For some people WoW will always be king for other it won't. Different strokes for different folks.
  • eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 261

MaxBacon said:

WoW has a loop that hardly dies when it comes to its player base, it's something special by itself.

I assume that's because WoW was the first MMORPG for most of its players. And for many of them also the last. WoW aiming to create a MMORPG for people that don't like traditional MMORPGs also most likely plays a role in its disconnect from the rest of the MMORPG market.

My moms favourite "MMO": Apple App Store | Google Play | Amazon Underground

Hint: It's only a MMO by MMORPG.COM standards!  :o

• coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,646

Kopogeroo said:

Every era is the same. I can list 20+ good reasons why humanity could not or does not need at the moment to deliver a great AAA MMORPG and it's been like this for at least 6+ years. Thankfully evolution is inevitable and it will happen through time and love. We will see at least 2-3 AAA MMORPG's by 2022 and I will surely be able to enjoy and support at least one of them for what it offers most likely until 2030+

Sup man
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Dullahan said:

I find it funny that people consider all these other mmos different from WoW when the primary mode of advancement is solo quest progression, and the "end game" consists of mostly queuing up for casual events, most of which can be achieved solo or part of completely informal constructs.

It's all the same people. A few gimmicks and slightly different art style don't make it different.

You can pretty much change this and have it apply to nearly any industry (see below).
    "I find it funny that people consider all these other cars different from Fords when the primary mode of advancement is tires, and the "end game" consists of mostly driving, most of which can be achieved solo or part of completely informal constructs.

It's all the same people. A few gimmicks and slightly different art style don't make it different."

First, people fail to acknowledge innovation in any form. Also, they'll strip down comparisons so that they suit their agendas. I'm sure I could compare almost any MMO to WoW and have it be a "WoW Clone" through completely accurate comparison.

Just wait until Pantheon is released. I'm sure you'll spend the vast majority of your time explaining to people how it's NOT a WoW clone and attempting, mostly unsuccessfully, to express the magnitude of how different it is. It will likely be the equivalent of you giving a 15 minute diatribe on how amazing it is and how different it is for a response of. *shoulder shrug* "Still looks like WoW..." *walk away*

If you've got kids, you know what I'm talking about... 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,783
    We'll know when WoW is finally dying when people stop hating it. Until that point, it will continue to occupy waaaaay too much mindspace in both players and developers. Most dead games don't have legions of haters, because games tend to die when people stop caring.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 2,974

Rusque said:

We'll know when WoW is finally dying when people stop hating it. Until that point, it will continue to occupy waaaaay too much mindspace in both players and developers. Most dead games don't have legions of haters, because games tend to die when people stop caring.

I don't hate WoW.  I really am just indifferent to it; it isn't occupying any headspace with me other than that I saw this thread title pop up in the mmorpg.com pub and felt I had a few things to contribute having played it rather intently for a few years.

That said, simply because I'm indifferent to it doesn't mean I am blind to its flaws; I remember why I stopped playing.  However, all told I think it is a pretty awesome game, and the numbers agree.  It's just not for me.

/shrug  :)

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 4 tracks in Distance

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Rusque said:

We'll know WoW is finally dying when they release WoW 2 :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,596

CrazKanuk said:

Rusque said:

We'll know WoW is finally dying when they release WoW 2 :) 

WoW 2:  Electric Gnomaloo...
  • jroginskjroginsk Member CommonPosts: 1
    @Wraithone. Yeah I agree
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,115

eHug said:

I assume that's because WoW was the first MMORPG for most of its players. And for many of them also the last. WoW aiming to create a MMORPG for people that don't like traditional MMORPGs also most likely plays a role in its disconnect from the rest of the MMORPG market.

Once you get the player base, and they have invested quite a while on your game, if you keep pumping stuff you'll get a loyal part of the playerbase that sticks around on the long-term. WoW is exactly that, it's not that it's the best game, but has the most people that fit that case.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,391
    King of a crumbling genre. There will never be a WoW 2 from Blizzard. Blizzard will never make another MMO. 
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,391

DMKano said:

IceAge said:

Herase said:

Then share your opinion. I believe he was asking for that.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,633
    AnotherDMKano said:

OP - popularity does not mean it's "good" for everyone.

When Bieber was crazy popular, for me his music still sucked ass.

Tastes vary, for many WoW is not good anymore

Well, as hard I tried to steer my daughter away she still finds the time to torment me with the Bie.
    Real Fans of Chess don't get bored!
    Real Fans of Soccer don’t get bored!
    Real Fans of Baseball don’t get bored!
    Real Fans of MMORPGs don’t get bored!
    What's your excuse?
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,633

Yes WOW is still the "King" or #1 with subs and the money it continues to make. Personal preference aside, just because someone don't like or don't prefer WOW for whatever reason doesn't mean that it isn't the #1 MMO. That *is* reality until something else comes along which I doubt will anytime soon. 

***After returning to Azeroth after a time away, Jaina Proudmoore and Tyrande begin a long protracted duel for the affections of the Raving Rabbid!***

I agree it's done well staying alive through the years. Call it your Walmart or Starbucks of MMOs, but your comment is nothing more than subjective. 

Though, I am subded $14.99 and have xfer many characters 4-6 at a time at $25 each probably 3 times in the last 6months now.

GW2 is so much cheaper.
    Real Fans of Chess don't get bored!
    Real Fans of Soccer don’t get bored!
    Real Fans of Baseball don’t get bored!
    Real Fans of MMORPGs don’t get bored!
    What's your excuse?