Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is WoW seriously still king in 2017?

ConsuetudoConsuetudo Member UncommonPosts: 191
Holy crap, what an absolutely stale genre. What is it going to take for something good to come along? 

Comments

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited April 2017
    Depends what you mean by "King"? It has a lot of subs, but other than that, there are other games I would say are miles better than WoW.
  • LivedeffloLivedefflo Member UncommonPosts: 23
    totally blows my mind too. It's pretty much turned into Diablo 3 now with all it's do this over and over and over and over and over and over again, THEN hope you get a decent useable RNG item. The RNG God's storm wildly in the Blizzard of Staleness. World of Borecraft nowadays. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game but... lacking....something i can't put my fingers on. ESO is decent but not enough end game stuff to do. GW2 same thing. SWTOR seems outdated combat wise, good story though. I'm interested in Secret World Legends reboot. Aside from that I just play multiplayer and co-op games on Steam and Origin Access. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    WoW, king?

Nah... I played fairly avidly between 2005 - 2007, but I've made my MMORPG home elsewhere...

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Holy crap, what an absolutely stale genre. What is it going to take for something good to come along? 

Most subs does not equate to there not being any other good games.  The market has significantly fractured since WoW became king.  It makes it much harder to get those kind of numbers.  I'm doubtful whether it will happen any time soon if ever.  Market fragmentation will see to that.

I self identify as a monkey.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2017
    It has the most subs if that's what you mean by king. Personally, I'm thinking FFXIV makes more monthly even though they have significantly less subs mainly because they update their Cash shop on a monthly basis coupled with most items in the cash shop being for one character (and one gender meaning you'd have to buy 2 of the same thing if you wanted it for both genders). You also have them renting space which is 2$(US) per retainer, going up to 8 being rentable I believe with many people in the game renting the max (yes yes, I know someone will chime in saying they don't rent them or they only rent one etc, good for you). All of those things add up, especially with many of the items costing more than a sub fee.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Herase said:

Depends what you mean by "King"? It has a lot of subs, but other than that, there are other games I would say are miles better than WoW.

Care to share that other games which are...MILES!! better then WoW ? MMO"s only please .. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    King of his own county. Although I live in a far away land, but I still respect him. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • RIG4REDRIG4RED Member UncommonPosts: 58

DMKano said:

IceAge said:

Herase said:

Care to share that other games which are...MILES!! better then WoW ? MMO"s only please .. 

It's opinion don't you understand that it's different for everyone?

Chocolate is miles better than vanilla *for me*

You seriously want to argue personal preference?

They want your opinion. Take they agro down a notch.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

Albatroes said:

It has the most subs if that's what you mean by king. Personally, I'm thinking FFXIV makes more monthly even though they have significantly less subs mainly because they update their Cash shop on a monthly basis coupled with most items in the cash shop being for one character (and one gender meaning you'd have to buy 2 of the same thing if you wanted it for both genders). You also have them renting space which is 2$(US) per retainer, going up to 8 being rentable I believe with many people in the game renting the max (yes yes, I know someone will chime in saying they don't rent them or they only rent one etc, good for you). All of those things add up, especially with many of the items costing more than a sub fee.

This is what bothers me about the succesful "P2P" MMO's lately - FFXIV, ESO, you have to pay much more for those and they're becoming big money grubbers. The argument for $15/month being cheap and equal has gone completely out the window when many B2P/F2P games actually let you succeed for cheaper per year. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited April 2017
    WoW was a really good time for a couple years. Vanilla days for me, it was a really good community before things like WoWhead. Back when it had that new car smell. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    WoW still has the best endgame raiding in the genre. I liked raiding in FFXIV for a little bit as well, but I detest the combat so the good raids were marred by terrible combat. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Guilds and people who enjoy the end game have no place better than WoW. They also have  a decade or more invested in this game. It is difficult to break free of a game you have given so much of your free/not so free time to and expect the same fulfilment in another game. Memories are a strong motivator and fuel that powers your interest in playing especially if you still play with a core group of guild mates each expansion.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    One mmo to rule them all ....
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

YashaX said:

...and in the darkness bind them.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

deniter said:

YashaX said:

Hopefully the small "fellowship" of indie devs can end the curse once and for all. 

Though so far "Sauron" (WOW) seems to continue to maintain it's great edge.  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    In the west, yes it is. 
    That doesn't make it the most enjoyable mmo in the west. IMO true mmo's in the west are dying but hopefully Pantheon will bring back the true mmo experience not what the mods on this forum are calling mmo's. 

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314

Kyleran said:

deniter said:

YashaX said:

Hopefully the small "fellowship" of indie devs can end the curse once and for all. 

Nice to see that in 2017 same posters are making same posts for almost a decade when it comes to WOW. The amount of faith in these so called indie devs which come and go like a fart in the wind is really commendable. 10/10 for dedication
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515

Kyleran said:

deniter said:

YashaX said:

Nice to see that in 2017 same posters are making same posts for almost a decade when it comes to WOW. The amount of faith in these so called indie devs which come and go like a fart in the wind is really commendable. 10/10 for dedication

Fart in the wind...lol so true! 

mmorpg junkie since 1999

Kyleran said:

deniter said:

YashaX said:

I've been playing an indie game that has been around for longer than WoW.  Sign up date: June 2nd, 2003.

From my perspective, WoW was the game that came and went. 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited April 2017
    What no one likes to admit is the reason why its still sitting on top. It has alot to do with the time it came out. And because it became this giant thing every game company tried and failed to copy it. To this day i can see Wow devs laughing at all these other game companies failed attempt's. And the one thing keeping it on top is not trying to mix pve with pvp. Have you notice how all these new games are trying to do this. 
    Post edited by Hariken on
  • metalsmmetalsm Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I know some people who like WoW very much. It might come one of the top games if voted for ranking.

Hariken said:

What no one lie to admit is the reason why its still sitting on top. It has alot to do with the time it came out. And because it became this giant thing every game company tried and failed to copy it. To this day i can see Wow devs laughing at all these other game companies failed attempt's. And the one thing keeping it on top is not trying to mix pve with pvp. Have you notice how all these new games are trying to do this. 

It's interesting you mention that because that's one of the reasons I stopped playing: battlegrounds felt too contrived.  That, on top of power gaps created by their vertical progression, and that tab targeting and skill bars really is an unnatural way to handle combat.

"Themepark" really describes it to a T.  Nothing wrong with that, but it's not for everybody.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

In the west, yes it is. 
    That doesn't make it the most enjoyable mmo in the west. IMO true mmo's in the west are dying but hopefully Pantheon will bring back the true mmo experience not what the mods on this forum are calling mmo's. 

I'd be careful what you wish for. Are you talking about horribly unpolished and masochistic gameplay? There is a fine line between serving a niche and serving a genre. It's still undetermined which Pantheon will service.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    It says something doesn't it?  We've been described as haters, but you're question pretty much sums things up imo.  
  • dswag22dswag22 Member CommonPosts: 19
    Yup pretty much. Even after they made that shitty movie!