Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't Worry, We Got Rid of Logic

cantankerousmagecantankerousmage Member UncommonPosts: 992
You know, for the kids. 

Things like weight, encumbrance, hunger, thirst, fatigue, the usually limited availability of resources in any particular region of any particular world (such as iron or wood) to create different kinds of equipment or useful items for everyday life, etc., etc.  Those kinds of things are too difficult for your average thirteen year-old to grasp, so we did away with that stuff years ago.

Even though according certain Terms and Services, kids under 18 shouldn't be playing MMORPGs without the consent, approval, and (hopefully) supervision of their parents.  We also prefer that kids don't play during the school year so that they might find to do things like homework and studying.  It might be better for kids to do things like read or play outside during their vacations, but we can't really prevent kids from making bad decisions that might have a drastic impact on their futures, or at least negatively effect the quality of their entire lives. 

Comments

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Was probably done for the adults. Usually made it more enjoyable to.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

You know, for the kids. 

Things like weight, encumbrance, hunger, thirst, fatigue, the usually limited availability of resources in any particular region of any particular world (such as iron or wood) to create different kinds of equipment or useful items for everyday life, etc., etc.  Those kinds of things are too difficult for your average thirteen year-old to grasp, so we did away with that stuff years ago.

Has nothing to do with "kids".

Dev's wanted to increase the cash they made on games, so they made them less restrictive (in a time sense) which is all you are complaining about really, that it took less time to find resources or to craft, or heck, just play a game.

Everything you listed just made it take more time. Less resources? Takes longer to gather them, less weight you can carry? More trips to town, so on and so on.

Some people call that "easier" ok let them, the other thousands call it "more fun, less time wasting nonsense"

Guess we can see from the numbers which group moves the way dev's create, and change games towards.  There is more cash from the "easier, or less time consuming" game play than the way it was when this hobby was first introduced.  

Again, has nothing to do with "Kids" 
  • cantankerousmagecantankerousmage Member UncommonPosts: 992

Was probably done for the adults. Usually made it more enjoyable to.

I guess.

DarLorkar said:

You know, for the kids. 

Has nothing to do with "kids".

Dev's wanted to increase the cash they made on games, so they made them less restrictive (in a time sense) which is all you are complaining about really, that it took less time to find resources or to craft, or heck, just play a game.

Everything you listed just made it take more time. Less resources? Takes longer to gather them, less weight you can carry? More trips to town, so on and so on.

Some people call that "easier" ok let them, the other thousands call it "more fun, less time wasting nonsense"

Guess we can see from the numbers which group moves the way dev's create, and change games towards.  There is more cash from the "easier, or less time consuming" game play than the way it was when this hobby was first introduced.  

Again, has nothing to do with "Kids" 

Right.  Because we all want to spend more time killing things.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Elemental damage was completely removed from fantasy MMOs. Sure a fire elemental is resistant to fire still (BUT even some MMOs don't even do that)...but literally that is it as far as that goes. You can use frost/water spells at it and its still the same damage.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    When one has to choose between realism and fun, always choose fun. Otherwise games would be about filing taxes and applying hemorrhoid cream.  

Elemental damage was completely removed from fantasy MMOs. Sure a fire elemental is resistant to fire still (BUT even some MMOs don't even do that)...but literally that is it as far as that goes. You can use frost/water spells at it and its still the same damage.

I know.  The idea that mobs might have certain strengths and weaknesses is also apparently too complicated for the average gamer.

Aeander said:

When one has to choose between realism and fun, always choose fun. Otherwise games would be about filing taxes and applying hemorrhoid cream.  

Fun is apparently just killing stuff and over.  That's what you do 90% of the time in most mmorpgs.

Also, why do my bags need to get so filled anyway?  Why are mobs carrying gear that fits my character perfectly so often?  Why are their infinite levels of gear and infinite amounts of it?  Why do the next towns or zones that I find myself traveling to always have more powerful mobs and stronger gear?

But nevermind.  Don't think too much.  You might get a headache.  Just focusing on your next quest objective and bathing in the blood of innumerable mobs is so much better.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited April 2017
    @cantankerousmage

1. Turn on your TV
    2. Spend the next 30 minutes or so, surfing through the 500+ channels
    3. You will have your answer

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Games are not made for gamers any more. They are made for everyone who has money. Same with music, tv, movies. Its all ment for masses with cash, not for dedicated few.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    When I was a kid I played D&D and very much enjoyed all of those details and many others. You don't give kids enough credit. And you probably give adults too much credit. 
    Eldurian

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    It is the 'masses' who don't care for those mechanics, regardless of their age.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited April 2017

Kyleran said:

It is the 'masses' who don't care for those mechanics, regardless of their age.

its more like the globalism leaders who want to dumb everyone down, so everyone is too stupid to argue or fight back because they think they are actually victims and feel guilty because that is what the media says they should feel. As the globalists pull their strings like puppets. Gaming, holywood, schools and even science (amongst many others) has been taken over by globalism. Games are just another casuality in the dumbing down of the masses.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Universities have become too much about answering questions and not enough about questioning answers.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

This discussion has been closed.