Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really bad games?

postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
You know you got 'em. Bought a game and for one reason or another it went bad and you were unable to refund it.

I don't know about you, but I keep a nice little folder in Steam called 'Really Bad Stinkers'.

So my question to you is: What are your really bad stinkers?

Here's mine:

ARK
Better Late than DEAD
Fragmented
The Repopulation
Wave of Darkness
Wild Terra Online

Now as a bonus question in a more positive light...

What game(s) have you purchased that you wound up loving, but didn't think you would?

My answer here is:

Kerbal Space Program
Grim Dawn
Don't Starve

What are yours?
______________________________________________________________________
~~ postlarval ~~

«1

Comments

  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Hmmm Just looking at this couple games come to mind. Again this is just my opinion.

    Games I didn't Like: GW2, Bioshock 2&3, MechWarrior Online, Warhammer 40K Online, threre are more but cant think of them off top of my head.

    Games that surprised me: WOT, Overwatch, DCUO, Marvel Heroes ARGP, ESO, and Eve Online ( I wont play it anymore after what CCP did to World of Darkness.)

    *** Raving Rabbid is stoked that Kate Beckinsale is coming back for underworld 6! ***


    All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182
    edited April 2017
    The only really bad games in my Steam Library were games I got from bundles. Those would be Enforcer: Police crime action and a bunch of AAA action titles like kane and lynch and thief...

    Just about everything else I had already tried at a friends, owned previously physically or knew I'd enjoy them, the two surprises would be Tales of Zestiria and Valkyria Chronicles both of which I was on the fence about due to not liking JRPGs when I was younger. Loved both, now I actually like older JRPGs I previously disliked like FF 10. 


    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson


  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I know many gamers will find this hard to believe but out of all the titles I have bought over many decades 4 games I either gave away in frustration or literally thru away and they were the following
    STALKER
    GTA4
    Sims 3
    Fallout 3

    All of that happened before Steam, the only two games I regret having purchased during my Steam days are:
    GTA5
    Theif

    Ironically every single one of those games is a AAA title, every singe indie game I have purchased I have been happy with.

    true hand to god story

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • JedirenJediren Member UncommonPosts: 26

    Well the games I bought or played that thought would be good, but were disappointing to me were.

    Bdo. ( its the graphics in it and the grind.)

    Everquest 2. ( A weird game...just cant get into it.)

    Sto.( its way too dumb down and too silly.)

    Swtor.( Its like WoW, which  a lot

     games are, but, its too much like WoW.)

    Eve online. ( too slow did get things done in this one and should have walking on stations and planets ala Sto, but, should be way better. I guess Star Citizen will address that..I hope.)


    Now what bothers me. Is that. Sto and Swtor should be at least in the top 5 best mmorpg out there. I'm not saying the best money-makers. I mean should be better Mmorpg games. Its beyond me beyond me why devs cant get them there and they both have the money to do it or they cant get it right..but all I can do is hope. Imho.







  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member UncommonPosts: 326
    All games made by Derek Smart. 

    End thread...
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    edited April 2017




    All games made by Derek Smart. 

    End thread...




    Never heard of any of these.

    Did look up Line of defense tactics and all aspect warfare, they both had all negative feedback
    Post edited by hatefulpeace on
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,166
    There were many stinkers in the 80's and 90's back when I used to buy almost everything that released.

    I'm a lot more selective now.

    The most recent game I can think of that really disappointed me was Two Worlds.

    Three games that really surprised me in a good way are

    Kerbal Space Program
    Prison Architect
    RimWorld 

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

    laserit said:

    There were many stinkers in the 80's and 90's back when I used to buy almost everything that released.

    I'm a lot more selective now.

    The most recent game I can think of that really disappointed me was Two Worlds.

    Three games that really surprised me in a good way are

    Kerbal Space Program
    Prison Architect
    RimWorld 



    yup.

    check out Space Engineers next

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • LoveRemovalMachineLoveRemovalMachine Member UncommonPosts: 213

    SEANMCAD said:



    laserit said:


    There were many stinkers in the 80's and 90's back when I used to buy almost everything that released.

    I'm a lot more selective now.

    The most recent game I can think of that really disappointed me was Two Worlds.

    Three games that really surprised me in a good way are

    Kerbal Space Program
    Prison Architect
    RimWorld 






    yup.



    check out Space Engineers next


    Or factorio
    We are always in a race what our intelligence can do for us and what our intelligence does to us.

  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,575
    Games that surprised me in a bad way:

    - Exanima. Really disappointed with this one. 
    - Beat Cop.
    - Outlast 2
     

    Games that surprised me in a good way:

    - Child of Light (the story rhymes - the dialogues too!);
    - Deponia Series;
    - Crypt of Necrodancer;
    - Killer is Dead;
    - D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die;
    - Freedom Planet;
    - Borderlands (the first one);
    - Machinarium (this was how I met Amanita games);
    - Super Time Force Ultra;
    - Skullgirls;
    - The Walking Dead - A Telltale game (the first one);
    - Wolfenstein - The new Order (which the theme being my ringtone tells a lot);

    And, of course, the last and the most mind breaking game that if it does not touches your heart you are seriously dead inside:

    Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
    . If you don't know why, good. That's good. Keep not knowing why and just play it.


    A special mention to a game which is not done yet: Ghost of a Tale. The announcement got me really impressed and surprised to a point is my most expected game.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

    "There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,166

    Nyctelios said:

    Games that surprised me in a bad way:

    - Exanima. Really disappointed with this one. 
    - Beat Cop.
    - Outlast 2
     

    Games that surprised me in a good way:

    - Child of Light (the story rhymes - the dialogues too!);
    - Deponia Series;
    - Crypt of Necrodancer;
    - Killer is Dead;
    - D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die;
    - Freedom Planet;
    - Borderlands (the first one);
    - Machinarium (this was how I met Amanita games);
    - Super Time Force Ultra;
    - Skullgirls;
    - The Walking Dead - A Telltale game (the first one);
    - Wolfenstein - The new Order (which the theme being my ringtone tells a lot);

    And, of course, the last and the most mind breaking game that if it does not touches your heart you are seriously dead inside:

    Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
    . If you don't know why, good. That's good. Keep not knowing why and just play it.


    A special mention to a game which is not done yet: Ghost of a Tale. The announcement got me really impressed and surprised to a point is my most expected game.


    Thanks to your recommendation, I've just purchased  A Tale of Two Sons

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,303

    Jediren said:

    Well the games I bought or played that thought would be good, but were disappointing to me were.

    Everquest 2.

    STO

    Eve online




    I tried so hard to get into STO and I just hated the ground combat and the space combat was weird

    EQ2 was just poorly designed and implemented, at least at launch.

    EVE online is just not my cup of tea.  I want more action and fewer spreadsheets
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 389




    Jediren said:


    Well the games I bought or played that thought would be good, but were disappointing to me were.

    Everquest 2.

    STO

    Eve online






    I tried so hard to get into STO and I just hated the ground combat and the space combat was weird

    EQ2 was just poorly designed and implemented, at least at launch.

    EVE online is just not my cup of tea.  I want more action and fewer spreadsheets


    EQ2 just has such a sharp learning curve and a requirement to invest huge amounts of time now.  I played it when it first came out for a few years and loved it.  Stopped for a couple years and recently started playing again.  Luckily, I know the game, but even for me the curve was difficult and the time investment was too high.  I can only imagine someone new to the game trying to figure it out.  No wonder no one new joins.
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,880
    edited April 2017
    Games that I thought were bad?

    Space Engineers
    7 Days to Die
    Contagion
    Big Pharma
    Rust
    Conan Exiles
    ----------
    Games that surprised me in a good way?

    Stardew Valley
    SkySaga
    Ram Boe
    Lego City Undercover
    Little Nightmares
    Abzu
    Total War: Warhammer
    NieR: Automata


    거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다












  • ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 2,013
    Can't call them stinkers because the quality is far too high but for one reason I simply didn't enjoy them at all.
    • Deus Ex: Human revolution
    • Dishonored
    • Dragon age Inquisition

    Games that I dropped after a few hours because something just didn't feel right about them, returned to later on and enjoyed them a lot
    • Mass Effect 1
    • Dead Space 1
    • Fallout 3

    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,315
    The only two games that I really regret buying are D:OS and GW 2. I even returned D:OS back to Steam. I find it so overrated. I mean, it is good, but nowhere near as good as the whole net led me to believe. Want to know the silliest of things? I'll have to purchase it again to finish it(lol). As for the GW 2...I loved GW 1, but the sequel is next to nothing like the prequel. Fml. Eh, maybe something eventually comes out of it. /shrug
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775


    Games that I thought were bad?

    Space Engineers
    7 Days to Die
    Contagion
    Big Pharma
    Rust
    Conan Exiles
    ----------
    Games that surprised me in a good way?

    Stardew Valley
    SkySaga
    Ram Boe
    Lego City Undercover
    Little Nightmares
    Abzu
    Total War: Warhammer
    NieR: Automata




    This is why I think people should back off of trying to change Early Access.

    Different people like different games. I consider 7 Days to Die and Space Engineers to be some of the best games in the history of gaming all the while nothing interests me about Stardew Valley. 

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 3,904

    Shaigh said:

    Can't call them stinkers because the quality is far too high but for one reason I simply didn't enjoy them at all.
    • Deus Ex: Human revolution
    • Dishonored
    • Dragon age Inquisition

    Games that I dropped after a few hours because something just didn't feel right about them, returned to later on and enjoyed them a lot
    • Mass Effect 1
    • Dead Space 1
    • Fallout 3



    Deus Ex HR is one of the few games I finished
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,880

    Asheram said:



    Shaigh said:


    Can't call them stinkers because the quality is far too high but for one reason I simply didn't enjoy them at all.
    • Deus Ex: Human revolution
    • Dishonored
    • Dragon age Inquisition

    Games that I dropped after a few hours because something just didn't feel right about them, returned to later on and enjoyed them a lot
    • Mass Effect 1
    • Dead Space 1
    • Fallout 3





    Deus Ex HR is one of the few games I finished


    Was a great game. Dishonored as well. I have played through it 4 times.

    거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다












  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,475
    Stinkers?

    Hmmm, not a lot but none of the gothic games did anything for me.

    "What game(s) have you purchased that you wound up loving, but didn't think you would?"

    Darkest Dungeon. I wasn't going to purchase it though I liked the art style. I eventually gave in and absolutely love it. Play it every night for a bit before bed.

    Actually, I'll throw out Masters of Orion II as well. Bought in on a lark and it's one of my all time favorite games. hmmmm along with Andromeda come to think of it.



  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 2,981
    edited May 2017
    I really don't like playing professional game critic, but I will say Halo Combat Evolved and Phantom Dust on the original Xbox were both much better than I was expecting.

    Halo for its dramatic presentation in a first person shooter, as well as its cooperative campaign, which were pretty much unheard of at the time on a console.  Additionally, it had really fun and well-balanced competitive split screen multi player.  I guess I should add on here Halo 2 as well, since it took things up a notch with its "big team battles" on Microsoft online Network.

    Phantom Dust literally came out of nowhere. I picked it up late in the original Xbox lifecycle for a low price of $20 having never heard of it or seen it advertised, and after a slow start and many hours of gameplay I realized I was blown away by this title. Everything about it is amazing: the soundtrack, the blend of gameplay mechanics, the character design, the storyline. It ended up being one of the best experiences on the first Xbox and a complete sleeper hit.  If any IP deserves a reboot on modern hardware, it's this. I love it so much. 



    I also was pleasantly surprised by "Black" for the original Xbox. It had clever storytelling, great ambience, a gritty feel, and a good mix of enemies requiring different tactics. It was a challenging game, and it felt like playing a war movie like "Apocalypse Now".

    "The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 4 tracks in Distance

  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 994
    Daikatana - How can a game with such low expectations not meet them?
    Champions Online - a game with so much potential in alpha dumbed down to where I call it moreofthesame.
    Warhammer Online - such great RvR ruined by a really dumb PvE system
    F22 Lightning (yep that was the name) - a flight game so dumbed down I was embarrassed the first time I was shot down.

    Ganes that surprised me in a good way;

    Half Life -I heard it was a good game but I did not realize it was THAT good!
    Freespace - The litmus test for fun in a space fighter sim for me.
    City of Heroes - yep, as much of a fanboy as I am for this game, It was my first MMORPG and I really did not think I would play it for long.  And I was quite surprised I played it for 8 years!
    ESO - I thought it would be moreofthesame, but it was, and is, far more than that.


    The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!


  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,315
    WAR's "RvR" really wasn't that. The real RvR encompasses the PvE, the scenario PvP, the Crafting, the keep fights etc(even ganking). All in one big faction vs faction struggle. And EVERYONE does something beneficial for his faction(or Realm if you prefer). THAT is the real RvR, not the silly zergfest WAR's lake PvP was.


    If you want to see really bad games...Jim Sterling son has quite a few in his catalogue of ...well, Romino like games.
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,575

    Gorwe said:

    WAR's "RvR" really wasn't that. The real RvR encompasses the PvE, the scenario PvP, the Crafting, the keep fights etc(even ganking). All in one big faction vs faction struggle. And EVERYONE does something beneficial for his faction(or Realm if you prefer). THAT is the real RvR, not the silly zergfest WAR's lake PvP was.


    If you want to see really bad games...Jim Sterling son has quite a few in his catalogue of ...well, Romino like games.


    Yeah but those barely count as games since most are either incomplete, unplayable or straight asset flips.

    Thank God for him.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

    "There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • TazdragoTazdrago Member UncommonPosts: 43
    @postlarval if you want bad games you need look no further than steam it's self.
Sign In or Register to comment.