Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Expanding Its Mobile Development - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlizzard Expanding Its Mobile Development - MMORPG.com News

In a new advertisement for employment at Blizzard, it appears that the company is ready to expand its mobile game library. The job posting is for someone with the ability to "create development tools for designers and artists to use" and that experience with making mobile games is a definite plus.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    It was only a matter of time...

Surprised that it took them this long to expand into mobile.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766

RIP PC. :)
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Good, maybe they will abandon the MMO scene, because their last 4 expansions for WoW have been cow dung! It is time for that bloated whale of a game to die!!!!
    TheScavenger
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Good, maybe they will abandon the MMO scene, because their last 4 expansions for WoW have been cow dung! It is time for that bloated whale of a game to die!!!!

Mobile app thats works together with WoW, lmao !!!!

RIP Orc Choppa

• MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Take the blueprints of any freemium castle siege game.
    Qualitize it, suit it up with Blizzard style.
    Name it " Warcraft Legends "

Should be easier than making a soup for Blizzard by now eh?

beLIEve

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

arctarus said:

Mobile app thats works together with WoW, lmao !!!!

They already have one for the class hall follower missions.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    edited April 2017

seeing as numbers went up for legion, probably not anytime soon

as for the rest of the MMO market though...
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I really hope mobile isn't gonna be the next big thing that everyone games on.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I really hope mobile isn't gonna be the next big thing that everyone games on.

Isn't it already?

BTW the only mobile game I play is Spider Solitaire while I'm sitting on the shitter ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I would love to use my tablet as an extension of the game I'm playing on a pc, or be able to login for just chat, crafting, or inventory management on a mobile platform.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I would love to use my tablet as an extension of the game I'm playing on a pc, or be able to login for just chat, crafting, or inventory management on a mobile platform.

Agreed

The open ended-ness of flight sims allows for things like this. 

http://www.virtualavionics.com.br/va/en/applications/11-virtual-cdu-737.html

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Surprised that it took them this long to expand into mobile.

They bought out "Candy Crush Saga" creator King Digital Entertainment KING.N for $5.9 billion back in 2015....seems they went BIG into the mobile arena quite a while ago:)
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Good - maybe we will get a mobile pet battle app for WoW...lol
    I just hate this mobile F2P bullshit. I recently flew to Cancun and downloaded a stupid F2P crossword app. You get to solve about 20 crosswords before they try to start sucking money out of you.

It's a fraction of the cost to buy an actual hold in your hand Crossword book.

As far as I'm concerned, most of these F2P games and apps are a bad joke. 

• Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    They want to bring a "casual" coded game like Overwatch into professional sports... a true testament to their fans....
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Mobile games have way to many pay walls. 3 types of currency and some system that stops you from progressing unless you take a break or pay RL money. It's become a micro transaction hell. I play less and less on my phone.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I have been gaming for 4 decades now. I have owned almost all platforms. I have never once gamed on my phone. Because as @Torval would word it: I can't drink pig piss after I have been drinking whiskey for years. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I enjoy mobile gaming on my tablet and play a couple daily.  Walking Dead game is more social in the games events and wars than most mmos i've played recently.  If mobile gets a good mmo.  Maybe an older mmo like EQ2 or even WoW.  That mmo's population would swell fast.
    edited April 2017

I have been gaming for 4 decades now. I have owned almost all platforms. I have never once gamed on my phone. Because as @Torval would word it: I can't drink pig piss after I have been drinking whiskey for years. 

You might be blinded by your bias.  If you ever decide to step foot in an uncharted platform for you.  Games like Kotor and Jade empire, Final fantasy 4, 5, 6, 7, 9(remade specifially for mobile) Chrono Trigger, Shadowrun 1 and 2, X-com, Baldur's Gate Enhanced 1 and 2, Icewind Dale and Planscape are all amazing games to play on mobile.  It's only getting better and better.  Lot's of great games that you've probably never heard of that are also exclusive to mobile.

I used to think just like you.  But the mobile market is only getting better and better as time goes on.  For me, it's the best platform for strategy and turn based RPGs.  
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

You might be blinded by your bias.  If you ever decide to step foot in an uncharted platform for you.  Games like Kotor and Jade empire, Final fantasy 4, 5, 6, 7, 9(remade specifially for mobile) Chrono Trigger, Shadowrun 1 and 2, X-com, Baldur's Gate Enhanced 1 and 2, Icewind Dale and Planscape are all amazing games to play on mobile.  It's only getting better and better.  Lot's of great games that you've probably never heard of that are also exclusive to mobile.

I used to think just like you.  But the mobile market is only getting better and better as time goes on.  For me, it's the best platform for strategy and turn based RPGs.  

I am biased but not blinded mate. 

You have listed games I have already played on their primary platform. I really don't see a point to replay them on my phone. If I can dedicate any part of my time to nostalgia, I still wouldn't be doing it on the phone. 

I don't watch movies on my phone neither. Because it dampens the experience. Same goes for video games. I have a limited time in my life, and a part of that is dedicated to gaming. Nothing on a phone on any level beats what I can play on my PC or on my consoles. 

You might say I should play them when I don't have access to my PC/consoles. I don't touch my phone at dinner, or a party, or in a meeting or those types of situations. And when I am stuck in a boring situation where I can do nothing like on a train or a flight--I read. Because I prefer to enjoy a book fully, than to spend my limited time on a half-assed experience of gaming, which I have daily access to. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Seriously?

Blizzard advertising for 1 (one) person means that "Blizzard is expanding its mobile development"?

Someone must have missed all the stories about Blizzard's shrinking mobile development then since I feel sure that at least 1 person must have moved to another company or retired etc.

Extra, extra: Ford Motors expanding, hiring 1 person and so on.

Blizzard is - relatively - a big company. If it was advertising for 100 staff then sure but 1. One!
    edited April 2017

I am biased but not blinded mate. 

You have listed games I have already played on their primary platform. I really don't see a point to replay them on my phone. If I can dedicate any part of my time to nostalgia, I still wouldn't be doing it on the phone. 

I don't watch movies on my phone neither. Because it dampens the experience. Same goes for video games. I have a limited time in my life, and a part of that is dedicated to gaming. Nothing on a phone on any level beats what I can play on my PC or on my consoles. 

You might say I should play them when I don't have access to my PC/consoles. I don't touch my phone at dinner, or a party, or in a meeting or those types of situations. And when I am stuck in a boring situation where I can do nothing like on a train or a flight--I read. Because I prefer to enjoy a book fully, than to spend my limited time on a half-assed experience of gaming, which I have daily access to. 

I play the vast majority of these on my Samsung S2 tablet.  Rarely on my phone.  I should of clarified that from the get go.  A few games are amusing on my phone, but my go to android device is my tablet.
    Post edited by MrMelGibson on
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

I enjoy mobile gaming on my tablet and play a couple daily.  Walking Dead game is more social in the games events and wars than most mmos i've played recently.  If mobile gets a good mmo.  Maybe an older mmo like EQ2 or even WoW.  That mmo's population would swell fast.

Vendetta Online is a pretty great MMO available for mobile.

If you are a fan of turn-based RPGs I also recommend The Banner Saga.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Already own both Banner Saga 1 and 2.  The mobile market has so many options and it's constantly releasing games.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see steam on android in a couple years.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Already own both Banner Saga 1 and 2.  The mobile market has so many options and it's constantly releasing games.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see steam on android in a couple years.

I hope so.

I never really gave tablet gaming much attention until I purchased a 12.9" iPad Pro. Now I'm eagerly waiting for Albion Online.

For my MOBA fix Vain Glory is pretty damn good on iOS. I like it better than both LoL and DOTA.