Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turbine is a Poor Decision

After seeing all of Turbines work from AC1 to present, I can't believe that someone would take LOTR and ruin it in such a manner. If anyone has played D&D online then they already know what I'm talking about. Turbine took D&D, probably one of the easiest names to push forward and completely ruined what could have been a great MMORPG. From the screenshots and trailers that I have seen for this game I don't expect any less than complete and total failure for this game as well. The art for both LOTR and D&D look like they were generated by the same unimaginative group of people as they try to go for realism, but end up coming up with some really crappy looking art that is far from realism, along with robot like movement that isn't smooth or fluid looking. Of course I realize that games aren't based entirely on looks, but it sure helps and thats what gamers with high end vid cards are looking for, great eye candy. As for game function, I'm not sure how its going to work, but if its anything like D&D online it will be terrible.

I know most people right now are probably reading this and saying, you haven't played the game and your comparing to a different game. Well folks Turbine made D&D online and they are making this game. If you take a solid look at D&D online, and then take a look at this game you will see the similarities, and I guarantee you that since Turbine has two big names like this going at once, that they saved money by using the same graphics and physics engines for this game that they did with D&D, not to mention the fact that the user interfaces, controls, and player movement will also be similar to layout and functionality. I would suspect more so than not, that you will find that LOTR will be nothing more than D&D Online with different racial abilities, different classes, and some new skins, but the same game mechanics with instanced area after instanced area will be present rather than a single solid flowing world.

What a disappointment. Can't we get some real creative people to make these games anymore or are they all gone?

Comments

• AedosenAedosen Member Posts: 234

Of course LotR even isnt out yet but from reading their faq´s, seeing their development team talking in the official forums and watching trailers I gotta say that my hopes for this game being any good are about zero.

Usually when I do those I listed above I get hyped but in LotR´s case they just confirm my feeling that this is going to complete pos. The developers seem arrogant, faq tells you that there will hardly anything anything in at release and trailers show that this game will have absolutely horrible looking graphics, add to that Turbine´s previous games and its hard to be hopeful.

That being said of course they could still suprise but usually what sounds and looks like crap is crap. Would love to be completely wrong though as LotR is probably my favorite fantasy world.

Dunno image

• accompliceaccomplice Member Posts: 4
    did you actually play AC1? I played it from pretty much the "get go" and, outdated graphics aside, it has all the elements of a great MMO, when it was in it's hay day, the community was awesome.  You would never be bored because the folks at turbine turned out new quests and content every month....and everybody used to complain about patch day because all that stuff took forever to download.  There is so much to do in that game, so many variations on your character as far as armor and equipment goes.  That game was all in all very good.  Yes, they made a mistake with AC2, I beta tested it and played it for almost a year and the worst part of that game is that you were a cookie cutter mirror image of the next guy, absolutely no character customization and the classes left nothing to be personalized, so it's no surprise it was shelved.  But they haven't done anything really since then besides DDO, they're working with an improved engine and new ideas...instanceing is fairly new.  Now they're doing different things with LOTRO, give it a chance.
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by accomplice
    did you actually play AC1? I played it from pretty much the "get go" and, outdated graphics aside, it has all the elements of a great MMO, when it was in it's hay day, the community was awesome.  You would never be bored because the folks at turbine turned out new quests and content every month....and everybody used to complain about patch day because all that stuff took forever to download.  There is so much to do in that game, so many variations on your character as far as armor and equipment goes.  That game was all in all very good.  Yes, they made a mistake with AC2, I beta tested it and played it for almost a year and the worst part of that game is that you were a cookie cutter mirror image of the next guy, absolutely no character customization and the classes left nothing to be personalized, so it's no surprise it was shelved.  But they haven't done anything really since then besides DDO, they're working with an improved engine and new ideas...instanceing is fairly new.  Now they're doing different things with LOTRO, give it a chance.

new quests every month I beleive didn't come out til very late in it's development cycle. The game sat as is shortly after launch for quite some time. And AC1 may have it's fans, I being one of them however it was the third most popular MMO out of 3 so I wouldn't give turbine too much credit for their success with it.

You played AC 2 for a almost a year after release and the worst thing you remember was lack of character diversity??? No chat other then local for over 3 months doesn't kinda stick out in your head as a game killer??? Re-vamping the classes over and over again because they couldn't figure it out wasn't more impressionable then visual character diversity?

You sure it is AC 2 your talking about?

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• FerretrodeoFerretrodeo Member UncommonPosts: 29

I think turbine is the wrong group for this game. I played AC1 for years and enjoyed it. As far as I was concerned you had both solo playability and group playability. I decided to give DDO a try. That was a waste of my money. No matter what the cool aid drinkers say about the game, it sucks. I can't help but think that LOTR will be the same. I hope I'm wrong because I would like to play it but I did learn to read what people post here before I go out and buy it.

• AlanthusAlanthus Member Posts: 119
    It's a shame that they got their hands on both AD&D and LotR which is two IP's I love but I guess there are other games to play out there and there will be other online games based on these IP's down the line after Turbine falls out of favor.
  • IbacaiIbacai Member Posts: 71
    You all do realize that their are two different dev teams involved with these games right? Not to mention that Turbine stated clearly what DDO would be like before it launched. And they delivered on their promises. Not to mention that it's pretty close to actual D&D. As close in video game as it could anyways. It's a niche game that will not appeal to everyone, don't expect it to be the next WoW.

And as for LotRO. At least wait until some info from the beta (which hasn't started) comes out before you cast final judgement.

• LothloreLothlore Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Ferretrodeo

I think turbine is the wrong group for this game. I played AC1 for years and enjoyed it. As far as I was concerned you had both solo playability and group playability. I decided to give DDO a try. That was a waste of my money. No matter what the cool aid drinkers say about the game, it sucks. I can't help but think that LOTR will be the same. I hope I'm wrong because I would like to play it but I did learn to read what people post here before I go out and buy it.

Have to agree.  I will also add that the people who made AC1, Turbines best game , are no longer with them. This game, if it launch's,is already "in trouble" because Turbine is not up to the challenge. There may be a good dev or two there however it seems to me that it is the bean-counters that run that shop,and they are busy running it into the ground. I am not going into all the details,the indicators are there to see for anyone who wants to look. My one hope for Lotr-o is that the game will yet again be cancelled,and the license given to a better outfit. It has happened before with this franchise,so,it is possible. After all,how many more features can they cut  or postpone and still have an intact game,lol. DDO=Dead-game-walking so I wont even get into that.

Lothlore

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

When I first looked at LotR online, I had a bad feeling about the game.  It seemed like every choice they made, from the spot in the timeline the game is to take place in, to no pvp, no evil races, areas not to be included (at least at release) severly limited the fun factor of the game.  Trying to balance the lotr storyline with fun gameplay would be incredibly difficult under any circumstances, but the decisions that they have already made seems to have increased the problem for them.  I'm a huge fan of Tolkiens work and a huge fan of MMO's, but I don't see myself playing this one as it stands right now.

The sad thing is, this is a total repeat of how I felt about DDO..  like I would love to play a D&D MMO, but knew even before beta that it wouldn't be the one.  The easiest way to sum it up I guess is that neither game gives an impression of having much endgame appeal.  No endgame = no close community in the game = why bother, just buy a rpg and don't pay a monthly fee.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    DDO is nothing like DnD.
    In DnD you have freedom of choice. In DDO you have none.
    DnD is great because of the endless possiblities. Not because you can take a feat that allows you to use two weapons with less penalties.

• Matin61Matin61 Member Posts: 63

I have to agree that Turbine missed the boat on DDO.  DDO does nothing to capture the heart of playing D&D.  However, no use re-hashing those arguments.

Lord of the Rings deserves a great developer.  I'm willing to give Turbine there shot at being a great developer again.  They have hurt themselves with me in that respect because of AC2 and DDO.  There is always a chance they could have learned and turn out something good.

Captain John Matin
    Royal Red

• ValowlifeValowlife Member Posts: 73

Aye laddy ye be correct about turbine entertainment they have messed up some good games which is so sad  dnd looked good but wasnt top notch and the other games that you mention i heard decent things about but Turbine need to get professionals befor working on lotr online for us lotr fans we cant have Turbine Entertainment ruin this i say that we should find a way to contact blizzard and ask them to work on it so that they can turn lotr online into the holy grail or have ea games turbine and blizzard work on it as a team then wed get the best of all

• IbacaiIbacai Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by Valowlife

Aye laddy ye be correct about turbine entertainment they have messed up some good games which is so sad  dnd looked good but wasnt top notch and the other games that you mention i heard decent things about but Turbine need to get professionals befor working on lotr online for us lotr fans we cant have Turbine Entertainment ruin this i say that we should find a way to contact blizzard and ask them to work on it so that they can turn lotr online into the holy grail or have ea games turbine and blizzard work on it as a team then wed get the best of all

You're joking right? EA and blizzard would ***** out LotR faster then anyone else. Blizzard might make a decent game but not for the LotR fans. And EA would just throw out any old junk and slap the liscense on it.
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Lord of the rings has A DIFFRENT developer team then D&DO, not to mention Lotro will be handled completely diffrent then D&DO.its will be like its made by another company. its like saying all final fantasy games suck because legend of mana sucks (just an example)

• BroughdenBroughden Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Gameloading
    Lord of the rings has A DIFFRENT developer team then D&DO, not to mention Lotro will be handled completely diffrent then D&DO.its will be like its made by another company. its like saying all final fantasy games suck because legend of mana sucks (just an example)

Yes it has a different Dev team. However at the top of the food chain you have the same executives. Past members of Turbine's Dev team, who have since moved on to other companies, have publicly stated how much of an influence the executives have over the development process. A significant and negative influence.

That hasnt changed.

Turbine is a horrible company to have make a lotr mmorpg if they ruin this we are gonnaa get really angry and in any case we should proably trying asking for another gameing company to work on the lotr online project.

Originally posted by Ibacai

You're joking right? EA and blizzard would ***** out LotR faster then anyone else. Blizzard might make a decent game but not for the LotR fans. And EA would just throw out any old junk and slap the liscense on it.

Blizzard Would make Lotr better then Turbine i could almost guranante it
  • TyrgrisTyrgris Member Posts: 321

I smell a DDO fanboy. Not a D&D fanboy, but a Turdbine DDO fanboy.

Originally posted by Ibacai
    You all do realize that their are two different dev teams involved with these games right?

Obviously that doesn't mean anything, it is still Turdbine.

Not to mention that Turbine stated clearly what DDO would be like before it launched. And they delivered on their promises.

So delivering as they promised makes it ok to SUCK and we all should play since they told us it was a carnival version of D&D.

Not to mention that it's pretty close to actual D&D. As close in video game as it could anyways.

As close as what to D&D? you mean the PnP? I won't bother getting into the major of this but when did we need a lot of elements used in PnP for the PC? Infact most of what is used for PnP is there because it is PnP. I find it truly non-immersive to have a voice DM tell me what I see and how I am feeling about the environment I am in. Plus using the voice of that guy that did AC2 advertisements.

It's a niche game that will not appeal to everyone, don't expect it to be the next WoW.

Did anyone say anything about it being or wanting it to be like Blizzards games? No, infact if you were a true fan to the D&D universe you would problably understand the ruleset for D&D would be better off using ideas from the successful D&D games which date back to the Gold box series, Eye of the Beholder series, Neverwinter Nights Online @ AOL, Darksun series or even the ever so popular Baldur's Gate series, let alone Biowares Neverwinter Nights which seems to be more of a MMO than DDO could EVER imagine. Turdbines first mistake was trying to bring PnP (tabletop) to the PC to covert it to a grahpical game. IF they were smart they would either have looked at the OTHER successful D&D PC and console games for ideas or atleast if they wanted to stay true to PnP they would have made it text based and turnbased in a "IM" and used pictures and vutual dice.  Without textbased & turnbased features, tabletop type of D&D will never work right on the PC.

And as for LotRO. At least wait until some info from the beta (which hasn't started) comes out before you cast final judgement.

I think we have enough information to collect our thoughts and views. Plus with the lack of quality from Turdbine is enough to see that it will be another failing product. They may not being doing instances identical to DDO. However they are using it enough to show that they still are obsessive with the instances which will any add to the non-seamless worlds they started with the AC series. Somehow they just think control over players taking advantage of the gaming world limits is the answer to all their problems. That is one reason why they took DDO in the direction they did. They compromised freedom for control to stop things they dodn't know how to control. Eventhough I don't expect DDO or even LOTRO to be ANYTHING like WoW, atleast Blizzard did one thing right with regards to their environments and that is freedom and placement of instances where they are useful and not as barriers as Turdbine is doing.

Oh BTW there are a LOT of in game footage over at The Arda Post (www.ardapost.com) to see for yourself and others so they know how all of what Turdbine is doing to LOTRO. So, yes there is enough data out there to come to a conclusion. I don't need to play a beta to see I don't like what they are doing to Middle Earth.

I think if anyone should have worked on DDO it should have been Bioware or Obsidian (aka Black Ilse Studio, well use to be)

As for LOTRO, it should be Blizzard. I know that sounds odd, but I think they would have brought ME to life. Well, I think most would agree it would be better than what Turbine is doing to Tolkiens work :(

Originally posted by Gameloading

I think before you state any of that mumbo jumbo  you should go to arda post and watch all the different in game footage that covers  a LOT of different aspects of LOTRO.

Turbine is a horrible company to have make a lotr mmorpg if they ruin this we are gonnaa get really angry and in any case we should proably trying asking for another gameing company to work on the lotr online project.

hmm, maybe someone should start a petition over at http://petitiononline.com/ to have someone else do it and after we get say hmm, maybe 1 million signed send that to Tolkien Enterprises and tell them we don't what Turbine to ruin our favorite Fantasy world.

Hmm, did any of you know that originally Sierra was to create Middle Earth Online a while back. I think it was a project before AC even went public.

for those of you that would like to see all the videos you can see them here.

http://www.ardapost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145&highlight=videos