Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alpha Preview Video from Early Access Event - Saga of Lucimia - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638

Xiaoki said:

Renfail said:

kitarad said:

Thank you Renfail for the clarification and polish on the graphics. I like EQ2 graphics I have no issue with that I just had the wrong impression based off a April Fool's joke, sigh, I never even noticed the date.

Mission accomplished, I'd say, if we're still getting people with that 2016 April Fool's post =P

You ever think thats not a good thing?

How many other people have heard about the game going full PvP, said "Nope, not my thing" and were not corrected about it being an April Fools Day joke.

You complain about the internet creating misinformation over the single player post but the people creating misinformation is YOU!

Only for those who don't pay attention to the publication date of that post :) 
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon

Dullahan said:

Impressed by the progress, honesty and humility of SoL. I will 100% be playing this game, even if it launches after Pantheon. Have to admit though, if they have the playerbase to support it, toggling on PvP on a server would ensure a greater devotion from me and many others. For those who have experienced it in EQ and early WoW, contested PvE in a hardcore, cooperative MMO, makes for an amazing source of conflict, intrigue, immersion and politics for PvP players. Those who are not familiar will quickly abandon stale conflict over castles and keeps in other titles, to battle for dungeons and progression of SoL once they get a taste.

Thanks for the note!
  • westyywestyy Member UncommonPosts: 32
    As a game developer myself, mostly using the Serious Editor and switching to UR4. With the game i was "redeveloping" on the Serious editor I always had a love for the game it's story line and character progress. The graphics weren't "TOP" notch but 1000's of players played the game without caring.

When I see comments like "these graphics suck" it strikes me as getting in a defensive mode. Graphics doesn't make the game win, graphics doesn't make the players come to it. What about the "quality over quantity" saying? To me that Quality doesn't mean "GRAPHICS QUALITY" When i see a "quality" game i see, story line, game / character progress, skills attributes, loot, dungeons, and mostly what makes a game is a never ending "end game content" Without end game content people get bored, throwing little events here and there may make the "end gamer's" happy for a little bit, but when that event or little something ends they become bored again..

Over the last 7-8 years in doing my game Dev'ing and looking at every aspect to which makes players enjoy and stay and bring "THEIR" FRIENDS to the game, it hardly ever begins with GRAPHICS"

Rant and opinion over.

PS: Keep up the work on this game. You all have great potential and definitely a game i'll enjoy playing.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

westyy said:

As a game developer myself, mostly using the Serious Editor and switching to UR4. With the game i was "redeveloping" on the Serious editor I always had a love for the game it's story line and character progress. The graphics weren't "TOP" notch but 1000's of players played the game without caring.

When I see comments like "these graphics suck" it strikes me as getting in a defensive mode. Graphics doesn't make the game win, graphics doesn't make the players come to it. What about the "quality over quantity" saying? To me that Quality doesn't mean "GRAPHICS QUALITY" When i see a "quality" game i see, story line, game / character progress, skills attributes, loot, dungeons, and mostly what makes a game is a never ending "end game content" Without end game content people get bored, throwing little events here and there may make the "end gamer's" happy for a little bit, but when that event or little something ends they become bored again..

Over the last 7-8 years in doing my game Dev'ing and looking at every aspect to which makes players enjoy and stay and bring "THEIR" FRIENDS to the game, it hardly ever begins with GRAPHICS"

Rant and opinion over.

PS: Keep up the work on this game. You all have great potential and definitely a game i'll enjoy playing.

I agree in general, but in an age when the graphical expectations are higher than ever, I don't think anyone can reasonably expect to pique the interest of potential players without some degree of graphical eye-candy. Even if that means an different, but polished art style.

A clunky looking game will not draw even a majority of their potential audience, even if the other 99% of the game is exactly what said players are looking for.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Game looks good, frame rates look bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Nyctelios said:

New projects are always good and I'll always welcome developers with fiery passion in their eyes. Pretty good to have the clarifications on this thread about the project, got me really invested on it.

Great work, I'll keep a close eye on it for now on.

Certainly not new, though we appreciate the interest :) We just crossed our three year threshold in March of this year. 

DMKano said:

If this ever launches, it will be amazing (in terms of odds stacked against them).

Best of luck. You are going to need it - like truckfulls of luck.

Luck has nothing to do with it. Just boatloads of hard work, man hours, and dedication. 

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    So the Ogre had his mankini on so tight his balls were hanging out either side if it?
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited April 2017

DMKano said:

Renfail said:

DMKano said:

If this ever launches, it will be amazing (in terms of odds stacked against them).

Luck has nothing to do with it. Just boatloads of hard work, man hours, and dedication. 

And you could still end up with a dud - example Wildstar.

For indie projects like yours - luck has everything to do with it, because boatloads of hard work is just the beginning.

They don't need luck, they will have a PVE player base. All they need to do is make a good mmo by putting in the man hours and being creative. 

They are not making the game for the masses. 

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on

DMKano said:

Renfail said:

DMKano said:

For indie projects like yours - luck has everything to do with it, because boatloads of hard work is just the beginning.

Nah. Still comes back to time commitments, hard work, and mentalities. 

While there are some minimums required to "keep the lights on", and those numbers are absolutely impacted by interest, one of the major components of our game compared to just about every other out there, in development or otherwise, is that we never set out to be a game that needed 50,000 or 100,000 players to be "successful". 

We set out to build a game that the handful of us who started out in the beginning wanted to play. It's always been a hobby for us, one that has taken on its own identity over the years. We don't draw paychecks for what we do (though we eventually might after launch); we do this because we're having fun working on building a side project into reality. 

For us, we're happy with 5k-10k players. We're well on our way to our target goals, and in no, way, shape or form are we concerned with being a "dud" by commercial standards. 

Set your goals accordingly, and success is 100%.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Yuck..just can't get past the crappy graphics...

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Kano posting some critical and true comments and backs them up with examples and the fanboys jump in and openly insult him.

It's another good day at MMORPG.COM and therefore a good day for the rest of the world.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Dakeru said:

Kano posting some critical and true comments and backs them up with examples and the fanboys jump in and openly insult him.

It's another good day at MMORPG.COM and therefore a good day for the rest of the world.

Just because you think he is talking the truth doesn't make it so.

Perhaps instead of making condescending post like he knows best would be better in the future.

Another day at mmorpg.com and another groupie comes to the rescue and therefore another good day for the world.

Easy isn't it.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited April 2017

Asm0deus said:

It's not I think they look fine. Not very high end stuff but enough for me I like them. I would play this for sure. I think they will polish the graphics up later but the art style is very reminiscent of EQ2 a game I loved .
    Chamber of Chains
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    edited April 2017
    I wonder if they obtained the assets from WISH? A game that never made it out of beta before canceling back in 2005?

http://www.mmorpg.com/wish/screens/display/2416

Joined - July 2004

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Dakeru said:

Just because you think he is talking the truth doesn't make it so.

Perhaps instead of making condescending post like he knows best would be better in the future.

Another day at mmorpg.com and another groupie comes to the rescue and therefore another good day for the world.

Easy isn't it.

Condescending? He was just being critical.
    You were outright insulting.

That's another reason why a game like this will never turn into anything good.
    The community only consists of people who can almost be described as rabid.

You either decide to be one of them or you are one of those who will be attacked by them.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Lusts said:

kitarad said:

So they changed their mind is it and went back to PvE only ?
    April 1st being April Fools Day. It was probably in jest. Not to be taken seriously.

Jests don't come off well on the internet.  If it is posted people will assume it is true.  If you want to do a April fools joke, you had better do one that is so outlandish as to be completely unbelievable.  That post does not meet the standard and probably did damage the chances of many perspective players.  That was a very braindead post by someone.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

DMKano said:

Renfail said:

DMKano said:

One could argue that the people responsible for Wildstar's design and researching the demand for such a game did not do their due diligence, ie. hard work. They sought out to make a game that was like Vanilla WoW, and missed the mark by many miles. Even if some of the people did hard work, someone clearly wasn't doing their job...

cheyane said:

Asm0deus said:

It's not I think they look fine. Not very high end stuff but enough for me I like them. I would play this for sure. I think they will polish the graphics up later but the art style is very reminiscent of EQ2 a game I loved .

Yep, polish will be coming at a later date. Still have a lot more features to add! 

Have been following the game for some time. I am glad you are making progress. The game sure is looking better and better.

I will wait a bit more before I jump in, but if you stick to your vision, it is practically given that I will purchase the game at some point.

Good luck, man :)

A lot of long, sleepless nights to get here, but it's all worth it in the end!

Best part of these weekends is the Monday afterwards, watching all the screenshots hit the airwaves from our community. Been a long and entirely fulfilling morning so far! Time to see what the rest of the day holds :) 
  • Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Its in Alpha, its an Indie MMO, It's in it's 3rd year of development by enthusiastic people working after hours who love PVE MMOs. I've personally played it this past weekend. It has a long way to go and glitches are there but since it's in Alpha I expected them. (How long has DayZ Been in Alpha?) The world is massive and you get the feel of real distance when you traverse the environment. 

Other facts: PVE Only and group orientated. No Minimap but there was talk of adding map-making as a skill. Might be important for someone in every group to have this as well as many other non-combat skills.

I will honestly say I'm tired of games that 'have' to class balance to avoid all the QQing that happens if they are not. That and the cash shops and the ability to swap out abilities to become whatever you want within a single toon. Why bother even playing when you can be and buy everything you need by yourself? 

All supposition, well wishing and condemnation aside, it has promise for what it is and thus deserves my praise. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

edited April 2017

Its in Alpha, its an Indie MMO, It's in it's 3rd year of development by enthusiastic people working after hours who love PVE MMOs. I've personally played it this past weekend. It has a long way to go and glitches are there but since it's in Alpha I expected them. (How long has DayZ Been in Alpha?) The world is massive and you get the feel of real distance when you traverse the environment. 

Other facts: PVE Only and group orientated. No Minimap but there was talk of adding map-making as a skill. Might be important for someone in every group to have this as well as many other non-combat skills.

I will honestly say I'm tired of games that 'have' to class balance to avoid all the QQing that happens if they are not. That and the cash shops and the ability to swap out abilities to become whatever you want within a single toon. Why bother even playing when you can be and buy everything you need by yourself? 

All supposition, well wishing and condemnation aside, it has promise for what it is and thus deserves my praise. 

Cheers :) 

And for those interested in looking beyond the low frame rates that my laptop chugged out while recording an unoptimized alpha build during the video linked, the latest blog post went up yesterday covering the new and expanded features that went into this latest version. 

Our team has put in a lot of hard work outside of their jobs, families, and other hobbies to make all this come together (without paychecks, mind you; we're three years in and no one has drawn a dime of salary yet), and we are super appreciative of folks like you who can look beyond frame rates in an alpha build to what's being built here. So again, thanks!

https://sagaoflucimia.com/whats-new-in-early-access-7 

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

DMKano said:

Renfail said:

DMKano said:

You believe Wildstar flopped because they were unlucky and not due to their choices and designs? A bad idea will suck, no matter how much work you put into it.

I sincerely like to know; has there even been a game lacking good ideas hitting the money because they got lucky?
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung