Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deltia leaving ESO

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
I was pretty surprised by this. Seems like he just got burned out on the game and wisely re-evaluated his priorities. But he does mention some dissatisfaction with the future direction of the game. 

Deltia's was a good site for ESO players, especially for people new to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc9OhJmXi70

Comments

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited April 2017
    How long has he been active for?

I don't know this person in particular, but other content producers often take a break at the 2-3 year mark. Alternatively, they pick up new games and spread their time between all of them. That is what Dulfy did - she makes videos about GW2/ESO/SWTOR/BDO and writes tutorials on her website.

Writing game guides has to be extremely time-consuming. People mostly seek out new content tutorials, which means releasing the tutorial as soon as possible after an update.

I produced some simple Everquest 2 tutorials back in the day. They were about general dungeon mechanics, not time sensitive at all and less stressful to make. Even then, I recall it took me about a week to get a series of short tutorial videos recorded, edited and ready.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    He's been with ESO since that start, so that fits what you're saying about the time frame. Seems like he just wants to do other things with his time right now. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    There's a mixture of personal reasons (like his self declaration as an ESO addict) and recent ZOS direction issues (Templar healing nerfs) that have led him to this.

It's been going on all week - ever since he posted a series of angry and sarcastic tweets starting Monday after the patch notes were published.

I have no comment about his personal reasons. That's something he'll have to resolve for himself. But I can certainly see that if ESO was both both a source of enjoyment and income for me it could certainly feel like a chore at times.

With respect to the balancing changes and Deltia's charge that this is all about nerfing other classes to prop up the sale of the Expansion/Warden, I can say a few things though.

1. I can understand where his cynicism and suspicions are coming from as I myself have also been disgusted with ZOS occasionally when I clearly see them making certain game play change decisions based on factors other than the betterment of the game (furniture crafting mats being so much more difficult to get compared to all other pre-cash shop crafting mats being a recent example.)

2. Anything related to the Warden or Morrowind is under NDA for those who were invited to test it. It's one of those NDAs where even mentioning that you're in the closed test is a breach of the NDA. Although, curiously, all the negative feedback about the balance changes prompted them to make an exception to parts of the NDA that allow discussion of performance for all classes except the Warden even in Battlegrounds. So.... I could tell you for example that resource management is and will be a big deal even for high CP characters after this goes live and that the damage that both light and heavy attacks do will become a more important part of your overall DPS.... but I can't tell you how I know this, At least I don't think I can.

My sense is that Deltia and many others are currently overstating things and that even though I'm already predisposed to be leery of ZOS' motives I'm just not seeing the Templar nerf = Warden P2W connection. I have absolutely zero first hand evidence that this is so... and I wouldn't bullshit you about this either :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    yeah there are a bunch of people raging over the nerfs and changes and some of them i don't blame them for. but i am going to wait and see how it plays out because there are so many changes i don't see how anyone can know how it's going to end up.

not only that but these changes have not gone live yet and could change, that's important to remember, especially when you have an outcry like this.

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430

Torval said:

Fansite owners and streamers are some of the first people to leave a game when an xpac or content update hits and mechanics change. Those people have a couple of years invested in their sites and streams and now it's all sort of trashed. They need to rebuild all that and in an old game (read launched) I think generating the enthusiasm to rebuild is just too much. If they're going to rebuild all that why not just start with a new fresh game and be the go to name for that? Deltia already has a name built up and a nice site.

This xpac, along with talk in some indie game threads recently, got me to thinking whether xpacs are the key cause of mmo disenfranchisement with its players. Every old school mmo has lost big chunks of players to one xpac or another. Something is definitely afoot at the Circle-K concerning this sort of thing.

I think you are on to something here.  Nerfs from expansions are THE main reason why I don't currently play some games (SWToR & WOW for example).  There's a saying, people don't like change.  It's a saying for a reason.  I love that they add new content in expansions, but the needless class changes are so damn annoying.  Specific examples include when WoW made it so their DK's could only tank in one spec, Blood.  Well I LOVED tanking as Unholy.  I never got over that change.  I know it's their game to change as they like, but it's my money and I choose not to support them now.  Same kinda thing for SWToR.  They removed the self-heal component from telekinetic throw...ugh.  Completely ruined the play style for me.  I won't even get started on how both games removed skill trees and unique builds.  Again, I know there's nothing I can do about it save remembering the good ole days and choosing to close my wallet...
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    People get tired of a game that is understandable I think. Nothing wrong with him wanting to go do other things. Sometimes taking a break helps bring you to a new fondness for the game later on and perhaps he might find something else more engaging. Good luck to him.

Torval said:

Fansite owners and streamers are some of the first people to leave a game when an xpac or content update hits and mechanics change. Those people have a couple of years invested in their sites and streams and now it's all sort of trashed. They need to rebuild all that and in an old game (read launched) I think generating the enthusiasm to rebuild is just too much. If they're going to rebuild all that why not just start with a new fresh game and be the go to name for that? Deltia already has a name built up and a nice site.

This xpac, along with talk in some indie game threads recently, got me to thinking whether xpacs are the key cause of mmo disenfranchisement with its players. Every old school mmo has lost big chunks of players to one xpac or another. Something is definitely afoot at the Circle-K concerning this sort of thing.

That this change is happening together with an xpac is more coincidence than anything else. There is nothing unique to either Vvardenfel, Battlegrounds or the Warden that is any more or less impacted by the large change to resource sustain. Although I do agree that most developers do seem to take the opportunity to throw in large mechanics changes into xpac releases even when there is no reason to do it that way... the cynic in me says that they add things that could have been added at any other time simply to make the xpacs feel more hefty :)

And the change is very hefty, no doubt about it, although, since it's sustain we're talking about after all, it is far more noticeable in some types of game play than others: tough and lengthy PVE fights being the worst affected of course.

What's changing is that whereas there are many end-game builds now that allow you to pump-out 30-40k DPS indefinitely with self-sustain, without making any changes at all to your set-up, you will not be able to do so for more than 30 seconds or so. It's a huge change... but obviously only so for those fights that demand full on DPS for longer than 30 seconds.

It is just not a PVP issue nor a solo questing PVE issue and players who do mostly that will wonder what the big fuss is all about because compared to live, all short fight events feel almost 100% exactly the same. In rare cases of solo PVE when you challenge yourself by soloing something that straddles the solo/group line, (soloing a dolmen, public dungeon bosses, etc.) or try to solo something that is definitely in the group category (world boss, 4-man group instance, etc.) you will notice it simply because those fights will often take you over both the full blast DPS new sustain limit (30s or so) and the more typical casual DPS sustain limit (1 minute or so.)

It is also something that will affect different play styles differently: anyone who currently uses heavy attacks routinely as part of their style will be affected much less than those who don't since they're already doing the one thing that reliably regenerates resource while they fight normally. This would apply to anyone who uses a lightning destro staff or a resto staff since both of those are channeled staff attacks and feel natural to heavy attack with and to some extent, also bow users since the heavy attack bow animation also feels natural.

The opposite is true with DW, 2HD, 1HD+S and fire or frost staves. We tend to use those mostly with light attacks because their heavy attacks feel kind of clunky and out of sync with the flow of combat. Those will take some extra getting used to... but you'll need to get used to it for anything other than short trivial fights.

So... it's a change that will affect the highest end PVE raiders the most and the casual solo quester the least. Guess which one of those two categories the best known ESO streamers fall into? :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited April 2017
    I'm just in a wait-and-see mode. I'm not hyped for the expansion any more, but I'm not thinking about quitting the game either. I find I'm happier playing now than when I'm reading forums and worrying about the future direction of the game. The future of every game is shut down, isn't it? So I will just play for today and try new games if what I'm playing starts to feel stale or frustrating. 

That's what normal (mentally healthy and sane) people do, isn't it? I forgot.  O.o

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Anyone even watched the video?

He isn't leaving the game. He's decided not to do as many videos for it, stop subscribing and is having a children's fit to try and make a point about his issues with the game. He's gonna be ALL over Morrowind, whether he likes it or not.

Jeez.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    edited May 2017

He isn't leaving the game. He's decided not to do as many videos for it, stop subscribing and is having a children's fit to try and make a point about his issues with the game. He's gonna be ALL over Morrowind, whether he likes it or not.

Jeez.

Did you just watch the one video instead of all his tweets from April 18th? Jeez

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    Is it really as bad as he say it is though?

MikeJezZ said:

No :) He was pissed off and venting.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Iselin said:

Jeez.

Did you just watch the one video instead of all his tweets from April 18th? Jeez

LOL I just find it hilarious these folks piggyback off of game companies capitalizing off of their work, then something happens they don't like and boom, salty tears... On to the next dev team to exploit to make a buck...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:

LOL I just find it hilarious these folks piggyback off of game companies capitalizing off of their work, then something happens they don't like and boom, salty tears... On to the next dev team to exploit to make a buck...

Yeah I find the whole YT / Twitch streamer symbiosis with gaming studios kind of weird but it's a sign of the times.

Also it goes both ways: The more popular prominent ones get more special treatment than, I suspect, even the staff here gets. Deltia and several others were invited with all expenses paid to ZOS HQ about a week after the initial Morrowind reveal for private screenings and previews.

And then you have Amazon game studios talking about taking it to the next level by having some streamers lead in-game events.

It's a crazy new world (says this old fart :) )

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633

MikeJezZ said:

Yes it is every bit as bad as that. Warden the p2w class

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• KrynKryn Member UncommonPosts: 172
    This DLC turned expansion is the reason I left.  I been subbed for years under a different promise.  I wont spend any more money on it.  I moved on as well...
  • EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633

Kryn said:

This DLC turned expansion is the reason I left.  I been subbed for years under a different promise.  I wont spend any more money on it.  I moved on as well...

Yeah it hardly seems like a real expac, wrothgar has the same amount of content. They add a p2w class and all of a sudden its an expansion.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3