Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audio amp for pc?

Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
I have my pc hooked up to my hdtv via hdmi and also to my older 5.1 surround sound system, a yamaha 5140.  I like the sound plays all my music well doesn/t matter if its a flac or cd it just sounds good.

That said I plug in my headphones into the 5140 not the pc itself and so I can get some nice LOUD sound that is nice and would like to get something of similar off my wife's pc.

Do I need to get her a audio amp for this?  My complaint on her pc isn't quality but rather low volume and I have done and gone around all the boosting I can off windows 7 and the like?

Are there audio amps for pc that would do the same but not require a 5.1 sound system amp?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    You can get her an AMP or an external Sound Card. If you tell me your budget I can make some nice suggestions. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited April 2017
    Dunno I payed like 1k$ back in the day for this yamaha AMP but looking to pay less,  I am not really up to date on prices for this so I could use a low, mid and high budget options and then I would know more what kind of money I am willing to put into this.

A quick google search show me these AMP are going for 45 to 100$ used and something of similar quality would be fine.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=yamaha+htr-5140+receiver

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

t0nyd said:

Personally for a pc I prefer going with monitors.  Get something like a scarlett solo or 2i2 as an interface and pair em with a decent set of monitors. Don't forget balanced cables as you can pick up a sub if you want. 

https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/605800?gclid=CjwKEAjw_uvHBRDUkumF0tLFp3cSJACAIHMY-0jVylKif-ZSOetXU4BjWoKJ414YBy2xaqhUDrJySBoCbEXw_wcB

Looks interesting but maybe a little more than what I am looking for.  I doubt it something either of us would use "live" whereas I am looking more for something that would boost headphone sound, if this makes sense?

For live soud we will keep using my mainhdtv/sound system, I am just looking for something to increase loudness and maybe quality... when using headphones?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2017
    WHat it sounds like you want is an audio interface for instruments, mics, as well as decent high quality audio output that runs off ASIO drivers (better for direct sound). There are all kinds of them (from $30 -100's of dollars), some that run and sound fine on basic windows sound. Just google audio interface. Even low priced units can sound good. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Asm0deus said:

My complaint on her pc isn't quality but rather low volume and I have done and gone around all the boosting I can off windows 7 and the like?

You can try boosting the sound volume more than Windows 7 normally offers with this program:
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

It might not help, but it costs nothing to try.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Sounds like you need a soundcard with a headphone amp, they don't cost much at all tbh;

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/asus-xonar-dgx/90-yaa0q1-0uan0bz.html
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited April 2017
    Post edited by Gdemami on
    Thanks for the advice all!

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271
    edited May 2017
    What you need is a Headphone amp/dac, and you should get an external, and not a soundcard. Soundcards are nothing but recurring driver problems, and can have trouble with interference from the other electronics. Nothing but trouble, like in the song "Jerry was a soundcard driver", by Primus.

The FiiO products listed are the go to in this department, and they'll give you most bang for the buck in the budget department.

If you want to step up, there's the Audioengine Amp: http://audioengineusa.com/shop/components/d1-24-bit-dacheadphone-amp/

For a bit more fun, there's the Aune T1, that lets your wife play with tubes. You'll probably grow jealous on your wifes new cool hobby. Aune T1

Or there's the dragonfly series, they are all the rage, and both the red and the black ones are getting good reviews. Perfect for laptops and phones. They are also very cool and something you will wish you bought for yourself. 

Dragonfly black

Dragonfly red

All these deserve headphones of similar quality and pricepoint, no point in forking over for headphone amps, if your headphones have cost half as much.
    Post edited by Barbarbar on