Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Metropolis and Kickstarter Revealed - Ashes of Creation - MMORPG.com

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Yes I have heard it argued that subscriptions are P2W and cosmetics are definitely P2W too. So everything is fair game in the mind of a person determined to feel put upon at any costs (sorry that was a pun)

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325

Kyleran said:

Maurgrim said:

Well this will be my first kickstarter backing.

Expect it to turn out about the same as your first love and you'll be fine.

First love feeling will never come back but I sure hope this game will come close.
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

kitarad said:

Yes I have heard it argued that subscriptions are P2W and cosmetics are definitely P2W too. So everything is fair game in the mind of a person determined to feel put upon at any costs (sorry that was a pun)

If you don't play you can't win. If you don't pay you can't play. So clearly, subs are p2w.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

dlld said:

kitarad said:

If you don't play you can't win. If you don't pay you can't play. So clearly, subs are p2w.

Stupid argument, and a very tired one by now...

Everyone pays the sub, so no player has an advantage over any other player in the game. That's known as a "level playing field".

People who do not pay the sub can't play at ALL, so they are irrelevant in the discussion.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Release it and then I'll check it out.

I no longer pay for marketing fluff and empty promises.

• zedsdeadzedsdead Member UncommonPosts: 19

Will wait to see what they are selling in the pledge packages before deciding to back or not. If it's remotely P2W, then no deal!

It would have to actually be released at some point to be p2w. Seems like these kickstarter projects are just a way for devs to get you to pay their wages for a few years while they string you along with the promise of additional features.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    People have a few times asked me if i enjoy any game,dumb question to be honest but i can answer the WHY.
    WE as a community are left to discuss the games THIS SITE peddles on to us through advertising partnerships.
    I play and support GOOD games,NOT games that try to buy their way into the highlight reels by getting websites and you tubers and sub contracted writers to promote their game.
    SO odds are that usually we will see crap games or deceitful developers using sites like this to promote their games,hence why there is a VERY good chance i will NOT condone tasteless tactics or condone sub par games being pushed onto the community through sneaky tactics.

I can simply point to another thread this site allowed .the WIZARD 101 thread.That same person has been allowed to start up thread after thread promoting the games cash shop and for no other reason.NOBODY,no site on this planet is going to allow another site to advertise for profits on their site UNLESS they are also involved in the deceitful tactics.

Bottom line is NO promoting or advertising or pampering or partnering to get advertising is going to get me to say a sub par game is better than it really is.
    BTW if you did pay attention at all,i was very positive early on for COE as well even for ASHES,however that was because this site was peddling, promoting the game and NOT really telling us thew TRUTH behind the threads.COE was the same thing,MANY of us believed in the game,then the truth....CROWD funding,we want your money and we are paying MMORPG to help promote it.

VERY similar is Crowfall,JTodd was doing he same thing with Wiz 101 in this site,NOBODY should stand idle and a allow devs and websites to BREAK THE LAW in misleading fashion to promote half assed games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Hey I'm as skeptical as they come. Can you be a bit clearer about what law was broken and an example of how? 

I think these guys guys have no chance of delivering on the hype,  but if they really do put in a full refund option to the Kickstarter I can only see that as a positive for the game AND the crowdfunding scene in general.   Let's raise the bar a bit for a change instead of lowering it for every new hyped game.  Let's get back some of those basic consumer protections!!!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    how is the latency like i.e. where are the servers located and the combat system is it like black desert or tera where latency plays a critical role.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Hey I'm as skeptical as they come. Can you be a bit clearer about what law was broken and an example of how? 

I think these guys guys have no chance of delivering on the hype,  but if they really do put in a full refund option to the Kickstarter I can only see that as a positive for the game AND the crowdfunding scene in general.   Let's raise the bar a bit for a change instead of lowering it for every new hyped game.  Let's get back some of those basic consumer protections!!!

Problem is that kickstarter have no standards on what constitutes an undelivered game which means you can either dump it and call it released or just do eternal development with a skeleton crew forever. You also have the case where they run out of money and can't do a refund since the company went broke.

If you look for basic consumer protection buy from a store with solid ways of handling refunds, kickstarter isn't that place.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited April 2017
    May be you're right we shouldn't be ganging up on kickstarters and assuming things about them based on other projects. It's decidedly unfair but the problem is when one bad apple spoils the whole barrel and consumers are notoriously jumping on bandwagons and then suffering from temporary amnesia when they see some good videos forgetting all their own admonishments and then coming down hard from a high will be back to vilifying the game soon as it disappoints them.

It is a cycle that repeats itself ad nauseum and has not grown old and will not change any time soon

• zedsdeadzedsdead Member UncommonPosts: 19

kitarad said:

May be you're right we shouldn't be ganging up on kickstarters and assuming things about them based on other projects. It's decidedly unfair but the problem is when one bad apple spoils the whole barrel and consumers are notoriously jumping on bandwagons and then suffering from temporary amnesia when they see some good videos forgetting all their own admonishments and then coming down hard from a high will be back to vilifying the game soon as it disappoints them.

It is a cycle that repeats itself ad nauseum and has not grown old and will not change any time soon

Its not a case of one bad apple spoiling the bunch.  It's a case of a barrel of rotten apples and we still have not seen that single fresh apple set itself apart. 
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    This games looks a bit like EverQuest Next - smaller in scope, perhaps - and that is a great thing. I wonder, are there people from SoE/DB bringing in cool ideas from EQN?
  • gir243gir243 Member UncommonPosts: 50

Wizardry said:

People have a few times asked me if i enjoy any game,dumb question to be honest but i can answer the WHY.

WE as a community are left to discuss the games THIS SITE peddles on to us through advertising partnerships.

I play and support GOOD games,NOT games that try to buy their way into the highlight reels by getting websites and you tubers and sub contracted writers to promote their game.

SO odds are that usually we will see crap games or deceitful developers using sites like this to promote their games,hence why there is a VERY good chance i will NOT condone tasteless tactics or condone sub par games being pushed onto the community through sneaky tactics.

I can simply point to another thread this site allowed .the WIZARD 101 thread.That same person has been allowed to start up thread after thread promoting the games cash shop and for no other reason.NOBODY,no site on this planet is going to allow another site to advertise for profits on their site UNLESS they are also involved in the deceitful tactics.

Bottom line is NO promoting or advertising or pampering or partnering to get advertising is going to get me to say a sub par game is better than it really is.

BTW if you did pay attention at all,i was very positive early on for COE as well even for ASHES,however that was because this site was peddling, promoting the game and NOT really telling us thew TRUTH behind the threads.COE was the same thing,MANY of us believed in the game,then the truth....CROWD funding,we want your money and we are paying MMORPG to help promote it.

VERY similar is Crowfall,JTodd was doing he same thing with Wiz 101 in this site,NOBODY should stand idle and a allow devs and websites to BREAK THE LAW in misleading fashion to promote half assed games.

Why do YOU always talk out of your ASS?  Another conspiracy THEORY with random words CAPITALIZED with no EVIDENCE.  This site plainly LABELS paid advertising as SPONSORED.

Is that a BLACK helicopter hovering over your HOUSE?

• Ashes_StevenAshes_Steven Member UncommonPosts: 28
    It's ok to be skeptical, it is the nature of the MMORPG industry these days.  It is why I decided to make Ashes of Creation, because I was tired of seeing P2W/Cashgrab companies failing our community.

Ashes of Creation is a project brought to life out of passion for our genre.  We dont pay mmorpg to cover our game lol... They cover our releases, I'd assume, because of the interest from the community.   As of today we have over 70k registered accounts with Ashes of Creation, and in only 4 months.  This comes from my firm stance on engaging with the community and being transparent about our project (A new idea in the gaming industry :pleased: )

Eitherway, I am happy that so many of you are in our community already and look forward to building Ashes into an MMO that will make even the harshest skeptic proud :)

If you wanna know more about our community and get involved in the discussion, feel free to join the discord @ Discord.gg/AshesofCreation
    Happy to be with you fine ladies and gentlemen on MMORPG.com, hope to participate in healthy discussions about our favorite genre.

Founder/Creative Director @ Intrepid Studios
    Building upcoming MMORPG  Ashes of Creation
    Discord

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    The node system sounds like herding cats. It sounds like abbolishing gouvernment and appoint reddit for president. Good luck with that.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Thats the most info I have seen on combat for this game. Its a start thanks. I do want more info and hope they have a video about combat and classes. I know its hard to say details at this point but I would like to see what they are shooting for. I have to say the word Bard got me excited as thats been my fav ideal class I have played. If an MMO has a Bard I normally give it a go just because taking on something that complex says something about the depth they are shooting for. Still fav Bards I have played were EQ1 and DAoC Minstrel. Hope the devs are listening, you could have a pledge for my wife and I if I get to see your vision of combat and classes. Sell me pls!!!!

@Nanfoodle

One of our designers is "Jeffrey Bard" and he went to "Bard" college, and plays a bard class.

That should tell you all you need to know my friend. :D

:D

I think you didn't read my post very closely but it's good news one of the Devs loves Bards :) Will be waiting for combat and class direction.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited April 2017

Wizardry said:

CROWD funding,we want your money and we are paying MMORPG to help promote it.

I sent MMORPG.com a tip that Ashes of Creation had announced their kickstarter date and I assume they saw the videos released once they got to the site. And it's definitely not the first time I've sent this site, or others, tips about games I was interested in to get them to write about it in hopes others would be interested, too. So if you don't wanna read about a cool new game, in this particular case, feel free to blame the fan.

Bjelar said:

The node system sounds like herding cats. It sounds like abbolishing gouvernment and appoint reddit for president. Good luck with that.

Myself I have no interest in node factions other then joining a side to fight and team. This system could add a depth of caring for your faction. From my experience can bring out the best types of community to PvP. When people care about wining for more then gear, they tend to get creative.

Still need to know more about class and combat goals for this game. I think of DAoC and the great RvR it had but some of things that made combat awesome was the tools given to each class/faction. CC and no AoE limits let small organized teams take out large zergs that had little tactics. I really want to know whats under the hood but they are just not telling enough. Why? Its time to own it if you are going to ask for money. 
  • ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Dwelling among shattered MMOs, is never a good place to be.
    I think our species (mmorpgeans) has come to a mature state, that will no longer decide to invest in a parallel world unless it is quite close to what they dreamed of.
    Thus you see so many of us on a backpack, roaming the streets of .coms looking for that promise land.
    I trully hope you succeed...........i got tired of youtube anticipated mmorpgs.
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

edited May 2017

R-000 said:

[mod edit]

Are you asking a question or did you mean "what kind of...." I will say this either way. I dont care about getting the top best housing in the node. IMO thats not worth anyones time. In the games that have housing I have played. I enjoyed it greatly. My fav is when you can display items you have earn in game in your house. Also trophies from bosses mounted on the wall is something I enjoyed. Walking around your house becomes a story of your chars history. So I guess to you Im a idiot. In the case of this game, housing will be personal space you will need to defend. Making PvP personal as well. That ends up engaging people more but what do I know Im a idiot =-P
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • chanmingchanming Member UncommonPosts: 52
    edited April 2017
  • chanmingchanming Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Hey guys, I am coming from the future. Yes, the game has failed and World of Warcraft is still the most played mmorpg.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    A+ for dreaming up ways to get people excited. F- for likely ability to come close to delivering any of it.

Basically trying to reinvent 'dynamic' events that GW 2 also promised would be new and exciting and were a complete fail.

Unless there is a 100% chance that these settlements can and will fail then its a big bunch of nothing. There must be some event that is possible (more than one really) that cannot be defeated by the players and thus basically restarts that node or shard or whatever it is all over again. And whatever 'conquering' force that took down the node should require a MASSIVE effort to defeat, since DEFENDING against it failed. Obviously proactively taking it out should be harder. Something that would require more people perhaps than the whole server even has on it.

ANY MMO that wants to actually be innovative these days has to include FAILURE. No MMO these days has that in it. Wiping a raid or on a boss or losing some hot spot in PvP isnt failure. Especially when you can just rez and start all over again.

But no one likes to fail and lose things thats why MMOs are dead and have been for awhile. because there are no real MMOs anymore just single player games you play on a public server.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Kyleran said:

Maurgrim said:

Well this will be my first kickstarter backing.

Expect it to turn out about the same as your first love and you'll be fine.

I married her!

You realize that could go either way, right? XD