Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Things that make you go HMMM

DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
Not really hardware related ...but here goes anyhow:P

A couple years ago, after using Winrar for ages with the free one nagging at me. i decided to be a nice guy and buy it. 

Finally decide to install Win 10 the other day and DL Winrar and try to use my old key, says registration failed anyway that i tried it. So send them an e-mail and they say  hey you bought a standalone version (5.2x) and that is the only version that the key will work with, BUT you can buy a maintenance sub (like 5 bucks a year) to upgrade and we will send ya a new key, or you can buy the all new and update 5.4X

Now to the HMMM part....they go on to say but wait...since you already own a license we will sell you a new key for half price....AND (this is a quote)

"WinRAR regular license is a one time purchase and also valid for beta versions.
For the time being we offer all future updates and upgrades for free.
There are no indications that this policy will change in the very near future"

And for the last BUT if you go to their store they also sell the maintenance as part of you buying the program (it is auto checked as a matter of fact)  Now this ( the limited time thing)  is mentioned no where at all that i can find anywhere on their site...but if it is true why do they still sell the maintenance? Why is this person telling me that it is a one time purchase?

Just what i get for trying to be a good guy:)  

Comments

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    7zip bro
  • ilovespoonsilovespoons Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Wait... people pay for WinRar?
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited April 2017
    Man so easy to get a "free" version of winrar if for some odd reason 7zip isn't good enough for ya..

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Asm0deus said:

Man so easy to get a "free" version of winrar if for some odd reason 7zip isn't good enough for ya..

Heh i am aware, i was just posting to show the run around and mis-information i was getting after buying a license. 

Makes you wonder why they treat people that actually pay to use their product that way. I know the vast majority just use the free version.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I haven't used winrar in at least a decade. 7zip works just fine, and windows has it's own zip and rar programs.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    LOl who pays for winrar..at least use a free zipper or use a crack for winrar...we used cracked versions since win 95 ;)