Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Joel Bylos Describes His Idea of What Survival Means - Conan Exiles - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageJoel Bylos Describes His Idea of What Survival Means - Conan Exiles - MMORPG.com

Conan Exiles News - During a recent Twitch stream with the good folks over at Gamasutra, Joel Bylos spoke about Conan Exiles. One of the key points was the difference between Age of Conan and Conan Exiles -- essentially the difference between an MMO and a survival game with RPG elements.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    sounds like a sadistic son of a bitch to me.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Question:

If a Conan Exiles server could hold 1000+ concurrent players, would it be an MMORPG or would it just be a survival game?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I find it hilarious that this game allows millenials to throw each other in cages and they are cool about it. I'm staying clear away from this game roflmao.
  • LurchUSALurchUSA Member UncommonPosts: 97

I find it hilarious that this game allows millenials to throw each other in cages and they are cool about it.

I think a better idea is to avoid those millennials!
  • RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 112
    edited April 2017
    I just want to know one thing: is this game going to have "Solo Only" instances like Age of Conan? I'm hoping that was just a Funcom thing (e.g., TSW). I will never understand solo-only instances in an MMO.

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Nyctelios said:

Sure, because putting someone in a cage while drinking water by touching your ankle in the water is the true survival experience.

Please, I have mods on my Skyrim that are better survival mechanics then what this game has to offer. It is a battle royale with meaningless tasks to do so it can retain players with attention span of a goldfish.

Punch those bushes. Touch the river with your ankle. Spam emotes. Spam jump. Glitch the AI using the environment...

Such realism, much survival.

Which mod is that? I'm curious what it has. The only thing I can guess from your comment is an "emote" to bend down and drink. Jumping uses stamina, so if you so spam it you won't be able to do anything after a while.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    This game is surprisingly good. Funcom actually made a solid offering for early access. The problem lies with official PVE servers and one main issue they fail to address. Players can build things and block off content (whole sections of the map) from other players. So this requires a few options. You either deal it, get your own server, jump onto a PVP server, or jump on an unofficial server that will actually address this issue.

If they want to really build this game out, they should focus more on dungeons and other PVE explorable stuff to find, get religion and magic into the game. Then actually monitor and address official server issues. That is what will bring people back.

People don't like to be griefed by PVE people blocking off content. Or on PVP have their investment of time easily tossed aside by some roving bandits that have more fun destroying other peoples' stuff, than build their own.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

laserit said:

Question:

If a Conan Exiles server could hold 1000+ concurrent players, would it be an MMORPG or would it just be a survival game?

Neither, it's more a kind of BR game.