Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2018 Overall Production Roadmap (updated 19th January)

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2017

CrazKanuk said:

...says the one whose reddit posts continually defend Elite without the so-called "objectivity" or "concerned criticism" that he shows for Star Citizen. It's quite the contradictory conundrum, isn't it? I still don't know what the motivation is, though..... Were you just so enamoured with ED and got lucky with a reddit name? Or are you an FDev employee? Either could be a possibility. 

Either way, I would have thought that people (both sides of the fence) would have liked to see a production schedule. It's just one more thing to keep the company accountable and one more thing for people to bitch about if they miss. There are so many targets to miss here. So why argue about the past when there are so many opportunities to talk about what they miss in the future? 

I'm very happy too see such a production schedule made available.  It's one more step towards the accountability you mentioned.

What murphy said reference E:D and SC isn't wrong, either.  E:D's method poses less risk to the consumers, which is why I personally favor their approach to SC's.  As to whether or not Frontier's team is moving fast enough, creating robust/interesting enough systems, etc. is another conversation entirely; a conversation that is much more productive because we actually already have a fully functional base game that Frontier is building upon.  And, again, this is the reason I prefer their method over the one Chris and CIG are opting to use to develop their titles.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Erillion said:

Vrika said:

So they reveal in April that they lost a good chunk of manpower in December? Most open development ever!

Tell bad news only when you have good news to cover it up.

Star Citizen is not aiming to give us good and honest insight on their development. They are trying to hype us.

The good news is that they replaced another contractor with an in house team. Which makes communication and task supervision much easier than before. That only leaves Turbulent as contractor - and they are only working on the homepage and forum side, not the game itself.

CIG needed contractors at the start of the project, as they were still looking for the right persons to add to the CIG team and were lacking certain skill sets in house. Now - with 300+ team size - they have most of the expertise they need in house.

Have fun

This feels like an attempt to spackle over the news.  There are some great early videos of Roberts, et all, talking about how the contractors were going to streamline the work and save money on the game production.   Then the wonderful Space Marine issue where CIG didn't keep the contractor informed of changes in design, to the point where the contractor's work was unusable.  It's even worse, as it is an obvious point of failure, and should have been tracked vigorously.   Some may consider this an aberration, others consider it business-as-usual mismanagement.

Just think how far along the game would be with competent and efficient management.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

CrazKanuk said:

...says the one whose reddit posts continually defend Elite without the so-called "objectivity" or "concerned criticism" that he shows for Star Citizen. It's quite the contradictory conundrum, isn't it? I still don't know what the motivation is, though..... Were you just so enamoured with ED and got lucky with a reddit name? Or are you an FDev employee? Either could be a possibility. 

Either way, I would have thought that people (both sides of the fence) would have liked to see a production schedule. It's just one more thing to keep the company accountable and one more thing for people to bitch about if they miss. There are so many targets to miss here. So why argue about the past when there are so many opportunities to talk about what they miss in the future? 

I'm very happy too see such a production schedule made available.  It's one more step towards the accountability you mentioned.

What murphy said reference E:D and SC isn't wrong, either.  E:D's method poses less risk to the consumers, which is why I personally favor their approach to SC's.  As to whether or not Frontier's team is moving fast enough, creating robust enough systems, etc. is another conversation entirely; a conversation that is much more productive because we actually already have a fully functional base game that Frontier is building upon.  And, again, this is the reason I prefer their method over the one Chris and CIG are opting to use to develop their titles.

You're right. I've actually said previously that I think that ED has been much more effective in their releases. HOWEVER!!! That isn't to say that they have come without delays. I mean their Horizons releases have been delayed for a considerable amount of time, if we're talking solely about a percentage-to-schedule basis. So working to shorter production schedules merely masks problems. For instance, I believe 2.3 was originally slated for a Fall release (I'm sure I'll be corrected), but later got pushed to XMas and then is just releasing now. So on the grand scheme of things what does that mean? What percentage of their schedule does that represent? I don't know, it's all up for interpretation. Same goes for Camelot Unchained, which is very open with their dev. They've experienced many delays, but they come with much less criticism, and actually praise at times, lol. 

All-in-all I think that the hyper-analysis of SC has been good for the project, I hope. I wouldn't expect to never experience another delay, but I would hope that they are much more realistic with their estimates. The only possible side effect could be over-estimating. This would require some intervention by management to actually reign in people giving bad estimates. 

Either way, compared to the original shotgun estimates given off-the-cuff during interviews, I'll take a production schedule any day! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited April 2017
    Arglebargle said:
    This feels like an attempt to spackle over the news. 
    The news that they admitted to the problems they had with outsourcing and decided to move as most development as they could in-house (by expanding studios and teams) is not news at all.

At first, outsourcing was a solution for the problem of pumping development as the company was in the process of building their studios and development teams. For the reality of the company today, they have the team to handle what before they needed to outsource.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited April 2017
    rpmcmurphy said:
    Well like I said, they wouldn't have to divulge too much detail due to confidenitality reasons.
    The general gist would be enough. I agree that it could put them in a difficult position when negotiating contracts.I don't think that releasing them in batches makes any more sense.

The only reason I can think they are doing that is because they seriously overestimated how quickly they would be able to put planets together. Not sure why you're trying to get in a back handed jab at Elite, was purpose does that serve? Are you just trying to antagonise because I disagree with you or something?

It's strange that you show so much patience and tolerance for Star Citizen's development but have none for Elite. Both games remain in development and are just taking different paths.Well like I said, they wouldn't have to divulge too much detail due to confidenitality reasons.

The general gist would be enough. I agree that it could put them in a difficult position when negotiating contracts.
    I wasn't thinking about Elite but more about No Man Sky where you can leave your space ship and walk around the planets, They can be  beautiful a offer great views, you can interact with fauna but it doesn't have much depth so it gets boring really really quick.

I'm sure Star Citizen will want to bring much more interactivity, variety and purpose to landing on planets.
    Basically what was shown in Gamescom and Citizencom demos but scaled up and optimized to be played by multiple players.

Post edited by Babuinix on
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

CrazKanuk said:
    Similarly, people want to cobble together loose-fitting facts about SC (looser than the ones I just gave btw) and seem to believe those are somehow factual. However, as we just saw, maybe even if all the facts point to something, there is plenty that we still don't see. THAT is the point here. The point is that it's not about estimates made 5 years ago, it's about what's happening now. Unfortunately some people seem are more interested in the past transgressions than actually discussing the facts at hand. I will openly admit that you definitely make an attempt to do that, but why you feel the need to make tongue-in-cheek comments to spur the anti-SC crowd, I have no idea. 

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.  The blown deadlines in the past are absolutely relevant now, as they show a trend.  Couple that with a project manager that has garnered some industry infamy for letting projects run away from him, and it would be silly NOT to consider the past when looking at Chris, CIG, and SC's future outlook.

To attempt to convince folks that the past should be ignored when looking toward the future is just a dangerous outlook.  They should look to the past, consider it in context with the plan for the future given by Chris and CIG.

CrazKanuk said:
    I think that you're illustrating my point perfectly. It's very much about Star Citizen, and the topic here. I'm sorry that I used you as an example, but I think it's a perfect illustration about how you can pull together some abstract facts and make a compelling argument. Whether the reddit user is you or not, I couldn't say. However, do I believe it's you? Yeah, I do. I mean if it was days later, I'd say, "OK, maybe that's a stretch", but the fact that you suggested I post something to reddit and then something appears there less than 10 minutes later referencing the EXACT conversation we were having? Plus the person has similar sentiments and uses similar vernacular? I think it goes to show how sometimes perception is much more compelling than reality. Or is it? 

Similarly, people want to cobble together loose-fitting facts about SC (looser than the ones I just gave btw) and seem to believe those are somehow factual. However, as we just saw, maybe even if all the facts point to something, there is plenty that we still don't see. THAT is the point here. The point is that it's not about estimates made 5 years ago, it's about what's happening now. Unfortunately some people seem are more interested in the past transgressions than actually discussing the facts at hand. I will openly admit that you definitely make an attempt to do that, but why you feel the need to make tongue-in-cheek comments to spur the anti-SC crowd, I have no idea. 

Personally, I have no issue with you, but I'll have an opinion on the subject and even the motives of the poster just as much as you do. It's no more or less personal than what you do. 

How is it about Star Citizen? This is about your claims of my supposed identity on other websites, your claim that I am an employee for Frontier and so on. That has nothing to do with Star Citizen.

Just because you can pull together some self-admitted abstract facts does not justify doing so, especially when you're talking about a person rather than a computer game.

You haven't linked this post that was supposedly put up 10 minutes later, and so what if it was, it's hardly proof. Just because something coincidental occurs is not evidence of something occuring. You say there are similar sentiments and vernacular but that in itself is not enough, there are plenty of people with similar sentiments and it's not as though the way I express myself is a rarity. I suppose the moon landing was faked as well...

You can believe whatever you like but that is not me and without any proof I would appreciate it if you didn't start associating me with someone else's account as well as making wild speculative claims.

I am positive you would not appreciate it if I was to do this to you and if I started broadcasting my theories around with no way for you to refute them.

It's plain weird because once again, it has nothing to do with Star Citizen, it is a personal thing despite what you say.

The post is here, but you'll have to search for MMORPG to actually see the post. Less than 10 minute lag. 

I just don't know why you get a pass on personal attacks, but everyone else has to remain accountable for their actions. I just read a couple other posts that were pretty inflammatory, like:

"It must be time consuming to promote all of those to the extent that you promote Star Citizen, surely?

Re: @Erillion and yet you're maintaining multiple video, screenshot, dev-based threads. It's completely hypocritical. 

On the last point, I'll say it once again, this is about Star Citizen because it's the exact issue that some posters seem to propagate. You take abstract, dated information and sell it as being current. On top of that, you use a different measuring stick for other projects. So it's completely what it's about. Anyway, if you still can't appreciate how what you believe to be factual might be flawed, I suppose there's nothing else I can do. Sorry if I upset you. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited April 2017

CrazKanuk said:

The post is here, but you'll have to search for MMORPG to actually see the post. Less than 10 minute lag. 

I just don't know why you get a pass on personal attacks, but everyone else has to remain accountable for their actions. I just read a couple other posts that were pretty inflammatory, like:

"It must be time consuming to promote all of those to the extent that you promote Star Citizen, surely?

Re: @Erillion and yet you're maintaining multiple video, screenshot, dev-based threads. It's completely hypocritical. 

On the last point, I'll say it once again, this is about Star Citizen because it's the exact issue that some posters seem to propagate. You take abstract, dated information and sell it as being current. On top of that, you use a different measuring stick for other projects. So it's completely what it's about. Anyway, if you still can't appreciate how what you believe to be factual might be flawed, I suppose there's nothing else I can do. Sorry if I upset you. 

Ah hah so I now I see what the issue is. You took offence at your post being called a load of bollocks and somehow conflated that to be the sort of thing I would say. No wonder you've been getting so personal towards me....

I'll let you in on a little secret seeing we're playing conspiracy theories, I am really Jim Morrison, in my previous life I was Janis Joplin, before that I was Al Capone and before that I was Abraham Lincoln.

And as for that "attack", it's really a sarcastic question but whatever. It's weird that you now want to go through my posting history digging up things out of context and then claim there is nothing personal in what you are doing. Really weird.

It doesn't matter if you think this is somehow related to Star Citizen because of strange parallels, it is still scrutinising me on a personal level and that has nothing to do with Star Citizen. Refrain from doing so or I will report you each time, I've asked politely so far, I've made it clear that you would not appreciate it so the least you can do is respect that.

This doesn't upset me at all but I do feel it's completely besides the point. If you want to discuss this sort of nonsense then do it in PMs because I'm sure no one else wants to read this rubbish.

CrazKanuk said:

Ah hah so I now I see what the issue is. You took offence at your post being called a load of bollocks and somehow conflated that to be the sort of thing I would say. No wonder you've been getting so personal towards me....

I'll let you in on a little secret seeing we're playing conspiracy theories, I am really Jim Morrison, in my previous life I was Janis Joplin, before that I was Al Capone and before that I was Abraham Lincoln.

And as for that "attack", it's really a sarcastic question but whatever. It's weird that you now want to go through my posting history digging up things out of context and then claim there is nothing personal in what you are doing. Really weird.

It doesn't matter if you think this is somehow related to Star Citizen because of strange parallels, it is still scrutinising me on a personal level and that has nothing to do with Star Citizen. Refrain from doing so or I will report you each time, I've asked politely so far, I've made it clear that you would not appreciate it so the least you can do is respect that.

This doesn't upset me at all but I do feel it's completely besides the point. If you want to discuss this sort of nonsense then do it in PMs because I'm sure no one else wants to read this rubbish.

Crazy! I'm actually Elvis Presley. 

For the record, I wasn't actually digging, it was merely happenstance since it was the top post on a thread that had a more recent update. 

I don't want to attack you, I just want to love you!! Why can't we all just get along? It would be so much easier if you just agreed with everything I say. 

Seriously though, I was really just aiming to prove a point wrt how people seem to cherry-pick information and pass it off as truth. I apologize for taking it to that extreme though. I'll give myself 10 lashes and return to purgatory. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited April 2017

You couldn't have been Janis in a previous life. Janis and Jim were born less than a year apart and died within 90 days of each other.

What witchery is this?!?  >:)

edited April 2017
    I'm actually Max Bacon, you may know me from my best seller "No One Else To Blame But Chris Roberts". Francis Bacon before that.
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    I'm Brian and so is my wife!
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    I'm a pc game!
  • TE5LATE5LA Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Well, only about two weeks to go to make this game 3 years overdue from it's original release date of May, 2014. Glad I bailed years ago.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Looking through the color coded list there you will see all the 'cool' stuff (stuff that is technically more difficult) is slated towards the end of the schedule and right before the June release. Why is that? Why would they have that stuff scheduled later? The conspiracy theorist in me means they can cite that as a reason why most of that stuff wont be in the June 3.0 (numbers are meaningless for this project at this point) and they will release a vanilla (most likely with more ships and a few bug fixes and the most rudimentary things they have listed) and call it an on time delivery of 3.0 on June whatever.

Thats the M.O. with these guys now. I think they will definitely release 3.0 in June now. Problem is it wont include anything that they claimed 3.0 was going to have when they were giving speeches and showing fake gameplay videos last fall at all the conventions.
    edited April 2017
    The schedule should be having its first update tomorrow, and we may see the first review on all the stuff under progress.

The tasks meant to be completed this past week were:
    - Item System 2.0: Quantum Travel
    - Volumetric Fog

As for end of April deadlines:
    - Item System 2.0: Light Control System
    - Engine Trails and Constrains
    - Solar System Shop Service (simulation of shop prices & inventory on a system).
    - New SMG Riffle
    edited April 2017
    The production schedule just got its first update:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Diff-Checker here: https://www.diffchecker.com/ODXaQFjp

Completed this past week:
    • Revamped decal rendering system which renders fully deferred, instanced decals with aggressive overdraw optimizations
    • Vastly improved memory allocator which allowed massive reduction in runtime allocation count.
    • Several significant optimizations to entity update code
    • Object Distribution
    • Terrain / Object blending for soft natural transition of objects intersecting with the ground
    • Video codec updated to Bink2, providing higher fidelity at lower bitrate

Updated Deadlines:
    • Kiosk UI moved from 4th May to 10th May "This date should now be a more accurate representation as further investigations revealed more tasks required for this."
    • Mission Manager App moved from 16th May to 19th May "Revised date based on updated completion date of the Kiosk UI. This work will be started after the Kiosk UI is complete."
    • UI Owner Component moved from 28th April to 12th May "The UI team have decided to swap this with their support work for the Render to Texture feature due to when that will be ready for them."
    • Volumetric Fog moved from 14th April to 9th May
    • Physics Serialization moved from 12th May to 18th May "This will fix a few long standing threading issues between then network and physics code. Improves separation of physics and netcode for better maintainability."

MaxBacon said:

The production schedule just got its first update:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Diff-Checker here: https://www.diffchecker.com/ODXaQFjp

Completed this past week:
    • Revamped decal rendering system which renders fully deferred, instanced decals with aggressive overdraw optimizations
    • Vastly improved memory allocator which allowed massive reduction in runtime allocation count.
    • Several significant optimizations to entity update code
    • Object Distribution
    • Terrain / Object blending for soft natural transition of objects intersecting with the ground
    • Video codec updated to Bink2, providing higher fidelity at lower bitrate

Updated Deadlines:
    • Kiosk UI moved from 4th May to 10th May "This date should now be a more accurate representation as further investigations revealed more tasks required for this."
    • Mission Manager App moved from 16th May to 19th May "Revised date based on updated completion date of the Kiosk UI. This work will be started after the Kiosk UI is complete."
    • UI Owner Component moved from 28th April to 12th May "The UI team have decided to swap this with their support work for the Render to Texture feature due to when that will be ready for them."
    • Volumetric Fog moved from 14th April to 9th May
    • Physics Serialization moved from 12th May to 18th May "This will fix a few long standing threading issues between then network and physics code. Improves separation of physics and netcode for better maintainability."

So they made the artwork better and some of the resources are being used more efficiently (thanks Amazon)? And every deadline that was updated was delayed (not expedited). Yup business as usual....
    edited April 2017
    rodarin said:
    And every deadline that was updated was delayed (not expedited). Yup business as usual....

For a disclaimer that says every estimate given is a rough date, sure is.

That's the difference between rough and soft estimates. That is something purposely done this way in development when it comes to the scheduled deadlines your team is going work with. (you can google it if you want to understand why it is done this way)
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Sad. They're already missing deadlines on the thing they just put up a week ago.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited April 2017

Sad. They're already missing deadlines on the thing they just put up a week ago.

Estimations moving around a bit is normal, they are only estimations.

In the end what matters is how much they move around. If something gets misestimated by 25% that usually falls within margin of error and won't cause too much troubles because experienced managers know that it was an estimation to begin with and were prepared for some amount of error.

On the other hand if something gets misestimated by 200% that is liable to cause a chain reacting where other teams need to redo their own plans because something they needed is not ready yet, efficiency all around the studio drops, and both budget and schedule are exceeded by a lot.

Fixed a wrong bit btw, the "UI Owner Component" was not delayed from 28th April to 12th May, it's the opposite, swapped with another UI task.

Vrika said:
    On the other hand if something gets misestimated by 200% that is liable to cause a chain reacting where other teams need to redo their own plans because something they needed is not ready yet, efficiency all around the studio drops, and both budget and schedule are exceeded by a lot.

Yup this is the big headache of producers when a task delays to the extent other scheduled tasks with that dependency can't work until it is done that can cause the biggest delays.

Then the worse thing you can't estimate is the bugs you'll consider blockers, how much time until they are dealt with.

MaxBacon said:

rodarin said:
    And every deadline that was updated was delayed (not expedited). Yup business as usual....

For a disclaimer that says every estimate given is a rough date, sure is.

That's the difference between rough and soft estimates. That is something purposely done this way in development when it comes to the scheduled deadlines your team is going work with. (you can google it if you want to understand why it is done this way)

You guys would spin it no matter what they did. What if the ELIMINATED (not even delayed) 50% of that list? You have an excuse for that already also. The fabled "its the most ambitious MMO ever". Which MIGHT have been true at one point, right up until the point CR made the infamous 'minimal viable product' concession. But people still use the cliche excuses for every other delay.

How about DONT make a list especially ones with dates unless youre reasonable sure you can hold that schedule for more than 3 days. But their bar for schedule deadlines is so low now its basically a moot point.
    edited April 2017
    rodarin said:

You guys would spin it no matter what they did. What if the ELIMINATED (not even delayed) 50% of that list? You have an excuse for that already also. 

There's no spin, the disclaimer is there. The schedule is what they use internally and so it reflects whatever gets changed, even if that means delays or cutting features out of the release milestone, something that happened with 2.6. The caveats are there loud and clear.

The existence of this schedules come from the requests on the sphere of the so-called open development to provide clarity when it comes to the status of the announced releases, and they are fulfilling that.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Vrika said:

Estimations moving around a bit is normal, they are only estimations.

In the end what matters is how much they move around. If something gets misestimated by 25% that usually falls within margin of error and won't cause too much troubles because experienced managers know that it was an estimation to begin with and were prepared for some amount of error.

They are estimations that they are missing a week later. After having missed an incredible amount of estimations. After having taken an incredible amount of money based on those estimations. And some of those recent estimations have already gone off by 200%.

Like you imply, obviously these "estimations" don't actually mean anything. If they can mis-estimate over half of their estimations, what point does an estimation serve? After all, according to you, "they are only estimations." There is no reason why anyone should expect them to meet their goals. Estimations, according to you, are meant to be broken. This only means that their schedule is actually bullshit.