Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Aprils News Letter & Perception System video

2»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 18,390
    Well on the subject of crafting,most devs MISS THE BOAT.The misconception is that ALTaholic gaming supports it,it does NOT.

RARE supports crafting as well as needing DEPTH.It is really tough for me to explain without writing a book,a quality dev just needs to understand it and having played MANY different games to see what works and doesn't.

You need systems and again tough to explain the entire design,all i can say is if you played and know FFXI ,you understand how to tie rare/systems/depth all together to make it so NOT everyone will just craft their own.

So to simplify it, NODES need to be rare,crafting  recipes need to be rare,things need to be discovered ,factions and favor,quest lines,it all ties into making a robust system that can last a long time.
    One area i feel needs to be better in game designs is the concept of rare=Boss.

You do NOT need the Boss concept,again just make it RARE.Bosses usually require a group,well a group is not going to be dedicated to spending a whole day farming rare items to craft,that is why more systems and depth works better than just "to get the best ,you need to fight the best bosses and with a raid".\

Bottom line is if you create THAT other superficial type of design then it will ruin an entire game and turn it into nothing more than Wow 2.0 ..24/7 instance raiding.I want a game/world experience,not a 24/7 raiding game for loot.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,534
    Lol, who that's played even a couple fantasy games or seen any werewolf movie, doesn't know that silver harms werewolves.

Yes, a fantasy video game will incorporate some fantasy norms. If people aren't familiar with them, they would need to do a bit of research. Chances are, the tool tips for such weapons and recipes will provide everything one needs to know, without a spoiler site.

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 4,248
    My comment about spoiler sites was about the knowledge that Wererats were found in the Underneath City, not that a silver weapon would hurt lycanthropes.  The Underneath City part is specific knowledge about an upcoming game; the silver weapon thing is indeed a fantasy norm and can be assumed to be common knowledge by all characters in the game world.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Mendel said:

My comment about spoiler sites was about the knowledge that Wererats were found in the Underneath City, not that a silver weapon would hurt lycanthropes.  The Underneath City part is specific knowledge about an upcoming game; the silver weapon thing is indeed a fantasy norm and can be assumed to be common knowledge by all characters in the game world.

Or, perhaps, he is planning an expedition to follow rumors that the Undercity is infested with wererats or has even been specifically asked to deal with the wererats.

There are many potential sources of knowledge within a game world.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin