Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta Review - It's Rough, But There's Potential - Revelation Online Review - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Another game that sounded great in the planning stage but just couldn't deliver.  Oh well...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Their support can not even fix their own game buges.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited April 2017
    The game shows promise in some areas, but it takes a while to get to the point where a player is actually doing any substantive interaction that could be considered "fun."  If one is persistent enough, and has the patience, there is an enjoyable game in RO somewhere down the line. Unfortunately, most gamers lack the patience, or the time, to experience the fun in a game where the fun lies "somewhere down the line."

I liked the game well enough, but I would put myself in the category of gamer who is very patient and tolerant with games.  That said, even I have to admit that the first 30 to 40 levels of RO are absolutely brutal.  I can't think of a game that leads a player by the nose and "hand-holds" the player through the first 30-40 levels more than RO.  During those first 30-40 the player does nothing but read quests and follows NPCs around as they tell the story with very little input from the player.

Regarding content, the game has lots of it.  It is, however, unreasonably convoluted.  It has deep systems of coin and character progression, but it seems as if these systems were intentionally designed to confuse rather than implemented for ease of use.  Initially, you will find yourself spending an enormous amount of time trying to learn how these systems of coin and character development work, than actually playing the game.  A player with lots of time and patience may find this enjoyable, but i would venture to bet that the majority of players would rather be playing a game, than spending unreasonable amounts of time trying to figure out how to play a game.

All things considered, I think RO has value.  To be fair, a good argument could be made that the game is still in Alpha stage in many respects.  That does not excuse the horrible first 30-40 levels of game play that can not be excused with the "Alpha Stage" excuse.  There is, however, a fairly enjoyable game to be had after those initial levels.  Overall, I would say it is a worthwhile game for patient gamers who have a lot of time on their hands and appreciate games with deep character creation and development systems that they can sink their teeth into over time.

I would give the first 30-40 levels a score of 1/10.

After those 30-40 levels i would bump that score to  6/10 at the moment, with the potential of garnering a score of 8/10 when all of the promised content (housing) is completed.

The game does have potential to be very good.  Currently, it is lacking.

onelesslight
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    7/10? That's just crazy talk, this generic garbage is 4/10 at best.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

The game shows promise in some areas, but it takes a while to get to the point where a player is actually doing any substantive interaction that could be considered "fun."  If one is persistent enough, and has the patience, there is an enjoyable game in RO somewhere down the line. Unfortunately, most gamers lack the patience, or the time, to experience the fun in a game where the fun lies "somewhere down the line."

I liked the game well enough, but I would put myself in the category of gamer who is very patient and tolerant with games.  That said, even I have to admit that the first 30 to 40 levels of RO are absolutely brutal.  I can't think of a game that leads a player by the nose and "hand-holds" the player through the first 30-40 levels more than RO.  During those first 30-40 the player does nothing but read quests and follows NPCs around as they tell the story with very little input from the player.

Regarding content, the game has lots of it.  It is, however, unreasonably convoluted.  It has deep systems of coin and character progression, but it seems as if these systems were intentionally designed to confuse rather than implemented for ease of use.  Initially, you will find yourself spending an enormous amount of time trying to learn how these systems of coin and character development work, than actually playing the game.  A player with lots of time and patience may find this enjoyable, but i would venture to bet that the majority of players would rather be playing a game, than spending unreasonable amounts of time trying to figure out how to play a game.

All things considered, I think RO has value.  To be fair, a good argument could be made that the game is still in Alpha stage in many respects.  That does not excuse the horrible first 30-40 levels of game play that can not be excused with the "Alpha Stage" excuse.  There is, however, a fairly enjoyable game to be had after those initial levels.  Overall, I would say it is a worthwhile game for patient gamers who have a lot of time on their hands and appreciate games with deep character creation and development systems that they can sink their teeth into over time.

I would give the first 30-40 levels a score of 1/10.

After those 30-40 levels i would bump that score to  6/10 at the moment, with the potential of garnering a score of 8/10 when all of the promised content (housing) is completed.

The game does have potential to be very good.  Currently, it is lacking.

the game is over 2 year old on china, so nope not alpha, that game is what it is today, higher or lower lvl its the same , only the gear grind get stronger on higher lvls.

a 4 or 5 is good enough for what the game offer, and there is not potential, unless you consider the cash shop they will put soon, remember is a chinese game, chinese always sell power on they cash shop

btw do I really need to say this again? I don't pay for potential, saw several games with "potential" shot they own foot with stupid things, see the game what it is, falling for hyped games is never a good thing
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

It makes me wonder, that those who complain of some sort of grind, which all mmos have in one context or another, how will they fair in games like Chronicles of Elyria, Camelot Unchained, or Ashes of Creation, which to me will be games that will eat your life, like the mmos of old, and personally I look forward to. To me RO is no more grindy than Vanilla WoW was, it isn't even as remotely grindy as FFXI (which ate my life for 3 years).

To me it's all about who much entertainment am I getting for my money, and I find RO entertaining, at least I find it's class design entertaining, Will the game hold my money for a long term, who's to say, I still pay for Archeage, FFXIV, TSW, Tera and Riders of Icarus, and I bounce around them, whenever the mood strikes, I still have trouble finding that one game that will eat my life and keep me from bouncing around from it's competitors. Hopefully a game will captivate me as much as FFXI once did.

I agree with you on the grind, but there is good grind and bad grind. Bad grind being mostly due to too much repetition and a lack of variety in the gameplay.

In this case however, grind isn't really the problem. Everything else is.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It makes me wonder, that those who complain of some sort of grind, which all mmos have in one context or another, how will they fair in games like Chronicles of Elyria, Camelot Unchained, or Ashes of Creation, which to me will be games that will eat your life, like the mmos of old, and personally I look forward to. To me RO is no more grindy than Vanilla WoW was, it isn't even as remotely grindy as FFXI (which ate my life for 3 years).

To me it's all about who much entertainment am I getting for my money, and I find RO entertaining, at least I find it's class design entertaining, Will the game hold my money for a long term, who's to say, I still pay for Archeage, FFXIV, TSW, Tera and Riders of Icarus, and I bounce around them, whenever the mood strikes, I still have trouble finding that one game that will eat my life and keep me from bouncing around from it's competitors. Hopefully a game will captivate me as much as FFXI once did.

At this point in time FFXI is a billion times better than Revo and if grind bothers you ,well FFXI is no longer a grind either and has added tons of content since you last played.
    I still consider FFXI the best option out there,there is obviously an argument to subscription fees of which i used to condone but not any longer.Subs are ok if subsequent content is free otherwise grinding money from supporters is not cool.

So i basically made a comparison based on not playing FFXi because of sub fee but as far as game goes,not even remotely close.If someone can point out even one area that Revo does so much better than FFXI that i need to jump in Revo and quit FFXI,feel free to let me in on it.
    Lascell87

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Lascell87Lascell87 Member CommonPosts: 3
    As soon as I found out p2w greater than in game pvp gear in the online shop for me it was a wrap. Goodbye...
  • Lascell87Lascell87 Member CommonPosts: 3
    Wizardry said:

At this point in time FFXI is a billion times better than Revo and if grind bothers you ,well FFXI is no longer a grind either and has added tons of content since you last played.
    I still consider FFXI the best option out there,there is obviously an argument to subscription fees of which i used to condone but not any longer.Subs are ok if subsequent content is free otherwise grinding money from supporters is not cool.

So i basically made a comparison based on not playing FFXi because of sub fee but as far as game goes,not even remotely close.If someone can point out even one area that Revo does so much better than FFXI that i need to jump in Revo and quit FFXI,feel free to let me in on it.
    FFXI sub is ok as we can cancel it and come back to it at anytime all subs. The only thing I wish FFXI had was an open pvp world and that was the sole reason I wanted to try out Revo as it is new and at the time seemed exciting. Then the story line clicking clicking starting to bore me out hence why the interest levels decreased gradually, plus all the other cons that followed killed it for me. Shame.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Revelation online was so bad Ive pretty much completely forgotten about it...If it wasn't for posts on this site I wouldnt know it even existed anymore....The most completely forgettable game I ever played.
  • lightsenshi23lightsenshi23 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I have to agree that this game has lots of potential. I also have to agree that it feels like just a bunch of stuff thrown together. I got to 45 or so before I gave up, so I did play for a while.

The flying was cool, and the main reason that I stayed as long as I did. The biggest down side that I found is the game is .... extensively oriented ... toward group play. Of your 8 or so daily quests, three of them can be done solo; and one of those requires a that you be in a guild.

Probably the most overlooked feature was the ability to choose the type of game play you prefer: action, click to move, or WASD/tab targeting. Unfortunately, just about everything else was unclear: you often get items for which you have no idea what they're used for....and no pointers as to any kind of warehouse to store stuff. Nor, in fact, clear tutorials on how to do stuff.

For this game, I'd suggest it as something you'd play when you're taking a break from whatever you usually play. So, a 5-6/10 sounds about right.