Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tomorrow's Update Paves the Way for Anniversary Celebration - Lord of the Rings Online News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageTomorrow's Update Paves the Way for Anniversary Celebration - Lord of the Rings Online News

Tomorrow, Lord of the Rings Online servers will be brought down for deployment of the 20.1 update. The patch will bring the Anniversary Scavenger Hunt online in preparation for its start on Thursday, April 20th. Players will need to head to the Party Tree in the Shire to speak with Waldo Rumble to get things started.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    That image is awesome.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    A great MMO but the cash shop became extremely P2W, even a Korean MMO like BDO goes nowhere near that level of P2W.

But for content, questing and atmosphere it is second to none.
  • Hashcow101Hashcow101 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    I love lotr but I could never get into this game maybe I'll try agaim

"May Your Head Explode And Blood Swell From The Wound"
    - Hashcow

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    The 10 year gift is very underwhelming, but can't wait to start the anniversary event.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited April 2017
    It was really worth it to get a one-time-payment Lifetime Subscription for LOTRO ;-)

Hmm ... Dragon Fireworks .... hope it will be THIS one ;-)   :

Have fun

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited April 2017
    More like this one https://youtu.be/wXpe4_i9Nc0 , in a firework version somehow, for example with a nosedive and gives the 'i'm on fire' debuff to everyone below. Oh, wait, that was in your (and PJ's) version too... :lol:
    Scot said:A great MMO but the cash shop became extremely P2W, even a Korean MMO like BDO goes nowhere near that level of P2W.
    I can't decode this, are you sure were speaking of LotRO's shop? It has nothing even remotely p2w... especially not when SK grinders are on the other side of the comparison :lol:

edit: unless you mean the 'jump to endgame' purchase option, which is lame, I agree. But there's no win in that either, more like losing all the fun and the world...
  • EvilsamEvilsam Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Think he p2w was ment more for things like universal solvents.Items that even with a VIP sub you can't find but a fraction of them that are needed to make essences.And you muct either buy them from the store,or buy with ingame gold from someone that bought them from the store.It takes depending on how good of an essence you want,between 48 and 150 per char. Each time they upgrade essences.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Po_gg said:

More like this one https://youtu.be/wXpe4_i9Nc0 , in a firework version somehow, for example with a nosedive and gives the 'i'm on fire' debuff to everyone below. Oh, wait, that was in your (and PJ's) version too... :lol:
    Scot said:A great MMO but the cash shop became extremely P2W, even a Korean MMO like BDO goes nowhere near that level of P2W.

I can't decode this, are you sure were speaking of LotRO's shop? It has nothing even remotely p2w... especially not when SK grinders are on the other side of the comparison :lol:

edit: unless you mean the 'jump to endgame' purchase option, which is lame, I agree. But there's no win in that either, more like losing all the fun and the world...

I think being able to buy virtues and stat increases could easily be considered p2w. Sure, you can get them in the world as well, but good luck getting the exact ones you need. Whip out that wallet, BAM! You just boosted your character's stats to make them more effective in combat. If that is not paying to win, not sure what is.

Saying that, I still love the game. And I have bought these items. Doesn't change what they are.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Viper482 said:

Po_gg said:

I think being able to buy virtues and stat increases could easily be considered p2w. Sure, you can get them in the world as well, but good luck getting the exact ones you need. Whip out that wallet, BAM! You just boosted your character's stats to make them more effective in combat. If that is not paying to win, not sure what is.

Saying that, I still love the game. And I have bought these items. Doesn't change what they are.

That is awful hadn't realised the game has sunk to this.

Viper482 said:

I think being able to buy virtues and stat increases could easily be considered p2w. ... If that is not paying to win, not sure what is.

Evilsam said:

Think he p2w was ment more for things like universal solvents.Items that even with a VIP sub you can't find but a fraction of them that are needed to make essences.

Oh boy... this will be a long(er) one, apologies in advance.

I guess we mean different things under the p2w term. Since the game is mostly PvE (sorry, 'Moors / Osgiliath residents :wink: ) there's not much to 'win' anyways. Sure, you can advance more conveniently or in shorter timeframe, but that's no 'win', that's just... convenience. And I agree, it is there, I used to say it a lot too :wink:  but p2w and pay for convenience is two very different things. At least for me. That could be a nice debate as well, btw.

Virtues. You gain nothing by purchasing them, just time. And not even a lot of time, it doesn't take long to max. your needed virtues through the deeds.

Stat tomes. Those were always rare, but not that rare... you can find the lower ones quite easily through drops and trade and AH, and the upper ones drop from a couple places as well (unfortunately the best chance is through Big Battles I think, and I don't like that). Sure, you can jump ahead by spending money, and with it saving time and gold. But what's the point? *

Essences. Man, how I loathe that system :wink:  Still, solvents are not that rare either, used to drop in events, festivals, from a couple other places too. And lower essences drop like candy anyways. So buying from the shop is, like above, only saves you time and some gold. But again, what's the point? *

*  So, the so-called 'win' part, or how pointless it is.
    Those stuff (and all the rest in the store, might I add) are just the same, time-saving purchases for already existing in-game drops or mechanics. I personally don't like them either, that's why I think (as far as I can remember) I've never bought any of those. I agree with @Nyctelios :

Nyctelios said:

... because the PvE content is not designed having it in mind.

Those stuff are only there for that particular group with a 'unique' mindset, who don't play the game but play the numbers. (I don't want to say e-peen contest, because theirs is a valid approach too, just... pointless :lol:  at least imo)

So, stat tomes. Since the stat revamp, why would any 'regular' player buy those? If you can easily 'beat the game' in your random Xs, XIs, why spend real money to have bigger numbers and be a few % stronger? That's just number chasing... sure, you can call it 'win', but it doesn't net any winning at all. Same for essences.

(btw. it was funny from Scot to cite SK games, since the whole crappy essence system is a copy of some SK grinders' gear upgrade system, built to be a money sink. And yes, you can sink a lot of money into it in LotRO too, if that's what you want.
    The good thing is, compared to those SK games, in LotRO you don't have to, because the content doesn't force you to gear yourself up to the teeth)

And on a sidenote in the end, you do know that you can get Points from the game, right? :wink:  Quite a lot actually, after the changes maybe a year ago (at least compared to other games, with the same method). If you really very very much a lot want those precccious -though unnecessary- extra stat points from the tomes and the essences, but also you don't want to pay for them with cash, you can join to a f2p farmer kin and get them for free, pretty fast.
    Personally I'd never do that either, Point farming is killing the gamer soul, but plenty of people play that way... so what's that, pLay2win? :lol:
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited April 2017

Gorwe said:

Any news about the update to animations and character models they once talked about?

Nothing yet, it's what's going to jump-start me back into the game.

well, there is this from a Jan 20th interview:

You mentioned possible character avatar upgrades for LOTRO. Could you elaborate on that project?

Ben Schneider: Avatar upgrades are looking great.
    New animations are being added, faces are being redone, hair is being
    looked at, and the whole is to us a vast improvement. Our current goal
    is that players who prefer our classic look will have a UI option to
    allow for that.

http://massivelyop.com/2017/01/20/massively-op-interview-standing-stone-on-lotro-ddo-and-daybreak/

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited April 2017
    In about 2 months it will be the 10th anniversary of me running down a road in LOTRO and it suddenly hit me....I've played this game before...

The concept of a WOW clone became very real to me...and the MMORPG "Dark Ages" officially began.

Two months later I joined EVE for the the first time.

B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

In about 2 months it will be the 10th anniversary of me running down a road in LOTRO and it suddenly hit me....I've played this game before...

The concept of a WOW clone became very real to me...and the MMORPG "Dark Ages" officially began.

Funny thing is, it was something similar to me as well :awesome:  (except the Eve part, that never ticked for me). At first I've left the game because it was way too wow-ish and wow is... just no.

But then I gave it a second chance, that time rolled a hobbit... living in the Shire since then :wink:

Erillion said:

Hmm ... Dragon Fireworks .... hope it will be THIS one ;-)   :

Well, turned out it's pretty similar :wink:  https://youtu.be/pD2f3YNhhqM
    Too bad it doesn't scorch everyone below, like the d.r.a.g.o.n. emote... but still looks nice.

So, Anniversary event is turned on finally, you can blast the fireworks (or chase the envelopes, etc.). The new steed looks dragon-ish, apparently the theme of this year is dragons everywhere... the new cosmetic set is also focused around dragons.

The new, 10th year's added episodic questline has some controversies though, as it is aimed only for high-level players - bad news for late starters, altoholics, or just veteran slow-paced leveling players. Maybe the quests they'll add next week will be more general and accessible to all, it's an anniversary, it should be fun for everyone...

As for the daily music, they've uploaded Chance's Rivendell last night, it is a great track :wink:   https://youtu.be/T-OAuOyrMwI
    edited April 2017
    Yep, from this week only the 'hunt down the rare mobs' mission is doable for characters below 90 or something (I think your 99 should be enough for the other two missions, probably. Not quite sure though).

And for that very reason those poor signature rare mobs are now heavily farmed as they're the only option for a lot of players - wait, maybe that was the point behind the idea, since they want to bring back for us those memories from a decade ago, they gave us... spawn camping! :awesome:

...or, as some more realistic players say, with putting the event to the endgame, they just want to boost the sales on Valar Blessings, the insta-level95 items in the Store... but that would certainly go against the whole spirit of an anniversary, right? Right?  /naive_look

:lol:
    edited April 2017
    Oh, node stealing, how much I hated those... when a pack of mob was near a node, aggroed you, and whilst you were busy killing them a ninja burg popped out of stealth and mined it...

Luckily first tap is not in game anymore, everyone gets credit and loot. And apparently (at least according to voices on /world) they just shortened the respawn timer on the rares involved with the anniversary scavenger mission, so that's at least something... but still an unfortunate design choice, having a fun new mission chain with unique rewards, which is a one-time only opportunity - and they restrict 2/3 of it for high-end characters.
    Just a bump in case you missed Cordovan's post:

"Get a free Reveller's Gilded Cloak with the Coupon Code CORDOVANMAN, now through April 28th!"

It is a nice cloak, especially for free :wink:  (not mentioned in his line, but only 1/account, of course)
    edited April 2017
    With today's update they will address at least partly the mis-step in the design of the scavenger hunt. It will still mostly for high-level characters, but there will at least the option for piggybacking.

(it was funny - and a clear sign of their stumbling with the design - when MoL *Doc answered to the issues with "we thought the great community of ours will help each other out".
    Yep, we'd love to do that... too bad we can't, because a few parts are locked behind quest and level requirements :wink:  Well, today's patch fixing those parts, so at least they are listening, and in a few hours the scavenger hunt will be available to folks above level 55ish, instead of 100+. Those who are below 50, still not much love... but they will fix the design for next year, probably.)

Speaking of great community, an entry from Torval's home server :wink:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?653280-LOTRO-Players-are-Really-Unlike-Any-Other

edit: my bad, Doc posted that answer and not MoL
    Post edited by Po_gg on
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Kyleran said:

Two months later I joined EVE for the the first time.

B)

never once felt like wow while playing lotro. didnt look or feel like it. but it does have quests so i guess i can see why its considered a wow clone.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Po_gg said:

Kyleran said:

Funny thing is, it was something similar to me as well :awesome:  (except the Eve part, that never ticked for me). At first I've left the game because it was way too wow-ish and wow is... just no.

But then I gave it a second chance, that time rolled a hobbit... living in the Shire since then :wink:

I hate hate HATED this game when it first came out.  Played it in beta for about an hour and couldn't get it off my drive fast enough.  So vast was my love for all things Middle Earth, I came back a couple more times that year when they had free trials.  Still hated it.

Not long after Mines of Moria came out, they had a free trial, and a reasonable bundle cost for the game and MoM, like 30 bucks or something.  I tried it again, and loved it.  It became my main MMO up to the Fangorn Forest update.

Couldn't tell you what was so different about MoM LotRO compared to launch LotRO that brought me on board, nor what went cold after Fangorn, but I do wish I could get those old feelings back, again.
    Yep, it seems like a common, shared experience, Lina did a recap of her writings from the early years, and it was the same come-and-go until finally sticked. http://www.linawillow.org/home/2017/04/11000/

(actually I always believed she's a hobbit from start, never knew she had a dwarf before :wink:  Laurelin hobbits are awesome... I should play there more, but my festival character ended up on Evernight after the transfers and it's festival time now)
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Po_gg said:

Yep, it seems like a common, shared experience, Lina did a recap of her writings from the early years, and it was the same come-and-go until finally sticked. http://www.linawillow.org/home/2017/04/11000/

(actually I always believed she's a hobbit from start, never knew she had a dwarf before :wink:  Laurelin hobbits are awesome... I should play there more, but my festival character ended up on Evernight after the transfers and it's festival time now)

What she said definitely mirrored alot of how I recall feeling.  Archet and Bree were just so... blah.  I'd roll an elf later, find the beautiful places, and get turned off by the crafting system.  And the quests with no tracking, that had objectives that would be used up/slain by other players, so you had no idea if you were in the right place or not...

But... the Old Forest... at the river's side in Ered Luin at night, Lothlorien, Rivendell, Forochel... it dawns on me that that sort of beauty might be what's missing from the later zones(which makes sense, lore-wise).  And it also dawns on me that it wouldn't matter much if it was there, as you go to the newer places once and never go back.  That might also be why Fangorn was the beginning of the end for me; subconsciously, I knew that that was, lorewise, the last place on the trip to Mordor that could evoke that sort of beauty.

Maybe it's time I rerolled and just ran every quest in the west.  No Mithral coins; just hoofing around, old school...
    If you finish one of the three quests, it unlocks the next batch (Year 2), which spreads much more evenly  - maybe that should start the whole event instead of the endgame-player extravaganza :wink:

Sure, Year 2 has an end-level quest as well, more precisely 75+ is the absolute minimum (or 50+ with armed escorts) but that way you will have some spoiler alerts. However, the other two missions are more friendly:
    the middle one is 50+ (or the absolute minimum is around 22+, and the rest can piggybacked on higher level friends),
    and the last quest in the batch, "drink in every tavern" is a full lowbie :wink:  since the Forsaken Inn is the last tavern in the line, any player out of the tutorial (5+) can easily do that one. Roads are very safe in the early region, so going to the level 20 area as a starter is still just an easy jog.
    (too bad that characters that low will never see this quest, since they will be unable to finish a Year 1 quest... )

On a sidenote, since I've already posted the 10 years lookin back of two hobbit lasses, here's a Tall one :wink:
    Achazia is one of the best songwriters I think, they've won a couple contests with The Shades and attended a lot of events. https://youtu.be/Z1tnvu6taF4
    (a bit odd to see this many wedding pics from the early years, RP folks are a unique bunch :lol: )
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    It never reminded me of WoW because when I betaed it I recall a totally different atmosphere and tone. You recall they had those beginning quest like the fire in Archet ,the spiders in caverns. Grouping was more than encouraged and the classes were unique like the Captain,Loremaster,Minstrel and Burglar.

I found the game had a very nice feel to it. I played for awhile but haven't been back for a long time. My time on LotRO was with friends I had known since Everquest and I don't relish going back and memories flooding me to a time they still played. I would grow melancholic.