Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No free to play option?

Comments

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    A game like this won't need WoW numbers to stay alive.  Heck, current EQ2 numbers would likely keep the game well in the black for years.  It is an indy title with a small dev team.  As long as they can get 20k subs they will probably be just fine.  But this game has a good following, I am pretty sure they will get and maintain over 50k subs for quite a while.  

Since they don't report to a CEO that has to give ridiculous returns on everything that happens in the company, they will likely make plenty of money to keep everyone on the team happy and cranking out expansions and updates for a good while.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• tatertoadtatertoad Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I am on board with the sub.  Would suit me fine if it's $20 or even $30/mo if it's good.
  • kenoneil18kenoneil18 Member UncommonPosts: 1

I c tht u have no f2p I have online games since thy came out .I  find f2p is a better way to to find out if u like the game. my idea would b to make a server just strictly for f2p thy way thy can see if thy the game. other wise I will not play the game as I have no idea wht it's like the games loss not mine

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167

I c tht u have no f2p I have online games since thy came out .I  find f2p is a better way to to find out if u like the game. my idea would b to make a server just strictly for f2p thy way thy can see if thy the game. other wise I will not play the game as I have no idea wht it's like the games loss not mine

I am sure the game will definitely feel the blow without you playing. Not the 15/month part...it's just a game in itself trying to figure out wth you just typed!
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Backed it at said before at Warrior Forever level , will be buying friends some copies too. I take MJ at his word and assurance of no F2P. If that ever happens it'd be the day I stopped subbing also as others have noted.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Perhaps a more interesting question is will the game have any mechanics which support players buying and playing more than one account?

Recall the original DAOC permitted buff botting and it definitely netted them addtional, subs, I had 3 paid subs at any one time.

Later in the product's life they moved away from permitting buff botting (I have no problem with it of course), but additionally there's the issue of multiboxing in general.

Probably has already been addressed, but tossing it out here in case not.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Kyleran said:
    Perhaps a more interesting question is will the game have any mechanics which support players buying and playing more than one account?

Recall the original DAOC permitted buff botting and it definitely netted them addtional, subs, I had 3 paid subs at any one time.

Later in the product's life they moved away from permitting buff botting (I have no problem with it of course), but additionally there's the issue of multiboxing in general.

Probably has already been addressed, but tossing it out here in case not.
    I haven't seen very many studios who care about people "multi-boxing in general" -- it's the ones who are using 3rd party programs and "bots" that generally get targeted.
    Without cheat programs, a multi-box is effectively no different than another player in the game.

More on point, I don't know if there are mechanics that actually would encourage people to do so.  I have no clue how things like buffs and the "veil", or whatever it's called,(scout-bots?) and all that will actually work, in practice.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    At minimum every game should be B2P unless they're just desperate. 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    LOLZ    But its my constitutional right as a gamer with NO MONEY
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    goboygo said:
    LOLZ    But its my constitutional right as a gamer with NO MONEY
    Then a job might do you some good. Because just a meal at McDonalds is going to cost around $10. If you can't afford $15 a month for a game, you have bigger problems and shouldn't be playing
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    At minimum every game should be B2P unless they're just desperate. 
    For all intents and purposes there is currently. Just buy a "lifetime" add-on. (OK its not B2P in the sense that you mean).
  • DomiagoDomiago Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I'm thinking about the Warrior 2.0 Forever Tier. $275 helps support the devs and yields a 3 yr. paid sub with a $1/yr after that. That's less than $8 a month, which is kinda hard to beat especially since you get some added perks with the tier bundle. As soon as I have the loot I'm in.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2017
    I actually was about to head to the gym when i saw this title and it made me laugh.

I assume the OP doesn't know this is a crowd funded game,if it was f2p,nobody would fund it lol.

Personally i look for finished games of quality,this project cannot lay claim to either.

I think the lil guy MANY years ago "SPANKY" already saw this coming......

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,052
    I put up $100 to help fund this game and will happily pay a sub. You can pay a freaking sub or go play one of the hundred f2p pieces of crap out right now.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I would have preferred a B2P payment model like you see for many (most?) PvP only games i.e. FPS. But if the game is good and the monthly sub is lower than the standard $14.95/month like MJ has suggested, then the sub fee shouldn't be too big an obstacle to having good server populations for the first few years.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Having a sub at the start seems pretty normal.  The game will be riding on the hype and most people will at least give it a try for awhile and many may purchase a year or more in advance.  If numbers dip he can always go b2p or f2p later.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    When it comes to MMO's with a focus on PVP i really prefer P2P as the subscription model, that way everyone is on the same level playing field, nobody can engage in wallet warrior tactics, that in itself is well worth the subscription, and for those who complain that things are not given to them for free, because, reasons blah blah blah, TANSTAAFL, the sooner the F2P model collapses and dies the better it will be for gaming in general imo O.o
    Marcus-
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    I think subs are fine as long as you allow a method to aquire game time through PLEX systems. That's my preferred method. I would love to see a limited free trial that users can then use the time to earn the game money to buy a sub.

AngryElf said:

Helps deter gold spammers, unless of course they're using stolen CC#s.  Should still keep the RMTs lower than typical F2P. 

Having a sub has never stopped gold sellers, look at WoW, when ESO was sub only they had tons of gold sellers and bots.  WoW constantly  sues gold sellers yet you can still buy gold.  Most people don't realise how much money they make, the good ones don't need to use stolen cc#s, look at a gold seller being interviewed.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Even Pantheon gives you a free trial till level 10, thats the plan for launch. Between CF and CU, Im not sure what one should get my money for PvPing. I used to play EQ1 for PvE and DAoC for RvR. Would be funny if I ended up doing the same between Pantheon and CU. A trial would help me decide. =-P

AngryElf said:

Helps deter gold spammers, unless of course they're using stolen CC#s.  Should still keep the RMTs lower than typical F2P. 

Having a sub has never stopped gold sellers, look at WoW, when ESO was sub only they had tons of gold sellers and bots.  WoW constantly  sues gold sellers yet you can still buy gold.  Most people don't realise how much money they make, the good ones don't need to use stolen cc#s, look at a gold seller being interviewed.  

Gold sellers are even bypassing char creation and just hacking the chat. Without even logging in they send their gold selling messages right into the game server. No matter what steps you take to stop gold sellers, gold sellers will always find a work around. my.com thought making a game where you could not trade with people at all would stop gold sellers. Nope, they just advertised in game and took money on product they could not trade you.  
    If the game is good and plays better than the f2p/b2p games out there, I would gladly pay a yearly sub, just haven't found one yet.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Nanfoodle said:

Even Pantheon gives you a free trial till level 10, thats the plan for launch. Between CF and CU, Im not sure what one should get my money for PvPing. I used to play EQ1 for PvE and DAoC for RvR. Would be funny if I ended up doing the same between Pantheon and CU. A trial would help me decide. =-P

I'd rather pvp over content, dungeons and raid mobs for progression in Pantheon than over castles and keeps in CU or CF.

That said, I will still play both games for all they're worth if they become available first.

Dullahan said:

Nanfoodle said:

I'd rather pvp over content, dungeons and raid mobs for progression in Pantheon than over castles and keeps in CU or CF.

That said, I will still play both games for all they're worth if they become available first.

I would need to see the rule sets Pantheon has to offer. Myself being a DAoC fan, I love taking down castles and keeps. CF and CU both offer that. What to pick? A trial could go a long way to earning business. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927

Ledrir said:

I have heard that there is no free to play option and I am a little concerned about this.  I realize that some people see this as a cover charge that keeps out the trouble makers.  Maybe that is true, however I wonder how many people will pay $15 without some way of trying the game out to see if they like it.

What if the free to play players were used in a way that strengthens the game?  I do not know what the max player limit for a server is but lets say its a little over 3000.  However, during some parts of the day the server will have less than 2000 players on it?  CSE could allow free to play players to log in to any server that has less than 2000 currently playing on it.  If the population goes over 2000 then no new free to play players can log on.  If the server goes over 2500 then the game forces free to players on over 3 hours to log out.

This would help in two ways.  It would give people a chance to try the game out for free to see if they like it.  It would also help to prop up populations on any server that is currently below its desired player size.

No

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018