Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon - Estimated Release 2017?

Comments

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Dullahan said:
    This site didnt used t obe so infatuated wit hgames that arent even beta yet.....With the hundreds of MMOs out and available now, you'd think we would turn our attention to those, but with this industry its always what is coming instead of what is.
    Or the other alternative, the MMOs that have been coming out for years really just suck that bad.

I can count the MMO's that I truly enjoyed on one hand.

Of those, City of Heroes and Vanguard are no longer available.

I still play EQ and EQII

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• Magna104Magna104 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Lets hope Brad learned his lesson from Vanguard.  That game was so cool in concept, and the actual game world was amazing.  The poor execution sank it before it had a chance.  Still, I played it from early beta until they shut it down.

I doubt I'll play this one.  Don't think I can sign on for another Brad game given how badly he mismanaged the last one.  Hopefully he won't rush this one to release in bad shape just because he's running out of time and money.  Again.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Magna104 said:
    Lets hope Brad learned his lesson from Vanguard.  That game was so cool in concept, and the actual game world was amazing.  The poor execution sank it before it had a chance.  Still, I played it from early beta until they shut it down.

I doubt I'll play this one.  Don't think I can sign on for another Brad game given how badly he mismanaged the last one.  Hopefully he won't rush this one to release in bad shape just because he's running out of time and money.  Again.

i'm with you but you can try the game before buying, there is really no reason not to give this game a try if the concept interests you.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited April 2017
    baphamet said:
    Magna104 said:

i'm with you but you can try the game before buying, there is really no reason not to give this game a try if the concept interests you.
    Kinda like chucking out the baby with the bath water =-) Also Brad is not running the show. I think he is the lead game designer or something like that. He is not managing VR. Its all about Brad's skill and vision for the game, the thing he is really good at. 
    Post edited by Nanfoodle on
    Catibrie
  • Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Vanguard was the single biggest disappointment I've had in my history as an MMO gamer. Not because the game was bad, surprisingly there were elements of that game that were absolutely masterful. It was a disappointment because, as mentioned above, it was just so poorly executed that it sank the game before it ever really had a chance. I think if it was better managed/handled, Vanguard could have been one of the best MMO's released for its time. It had a spark of something brilliant, and despite its pervasive flaws I played it tirelessly in 2007.

If Pantheon has that same spark + better management, which it appears to, we're all in for a treat - and I'll wait for this game another 5 years if I have to. Because it'll be worth it.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Vanguard was the last game I bought into the hype for......Luckily I got into beta late and saw what a disaster it was and didnt invest in it....I have no idea on this game but my hopes arent up...if it turns out good then its a pleasant surprise....msot of the screenshots I've soon look pretty dated though for a 2017 or later game...... It looks like something made in early 2000s.

Vanguard was the last game I bought into the hype for......Luckily I got into beta late and saw what a disaster it was and didnt invest in it....I have no idea on this game but my hopes arent up...if it turns out good then its a pleasant surprise....msot of the screenshots I've soon look pretty dated though for a 2017 or later game...... It looks like something made in early 2000s.

If you think this game has graphics from around 2000 then you need to refresh your memory and look up games from that era, I think you have playing forgotten what that really looks like lol
    Catibrie
  • LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Its looks dated.  Maybe not early 2000's but even LOTROs scenery looks better.  Of course if they would actually make something versus buying everything from the Unity store that like 4 other games are already using...
  • Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited April 2017

I don't understand this hyper-focus on graphics. I could really give a crap if it looks dated, I only care how the game plays and the fundamental concepts used to shape the game.

I much prefer them to use their limited resources on actual content and gameplay, rather than graphics and art assets.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Yeah but it's an indy game. There's no way it's going to compete with studios that have millions to throw at graphics.

Anyone purchasing this game needs to know that and needs to be on board with that. I strongly suspect the fans of this game (or at least fans of what we know) will have made their peace with that.
    Catibrie
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510
    A few more live streams should convince some of the naysayers. Especially after some more graphical and animation passes are in.

If it retails a b2p option I'll definitely be in.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    B2P + sub with a free trial up to 10 is what is being considered, but that isn't set in stone.

Even though Pantheon will be far more popular than what most anticipate, without the mass appeal and marketing of games like Guild Wars, I don't see a pure B2P without sub providing enough funding for continual development.
    Catibrie

Myself I'm excited for a MMO that's doing B2P with a sub and no cash shop. I find it refreshing. Been a long time since everything you see in game will have been earned by a player somehow. 
    CatibrieNilden
  • CaseyxCaseyx Member UncommonPosts: 15

Torval said:

Nanfoodle said:

Myself I'm excited for a MMO that's doing B2P with a sub and no cash shop. I find it refreshing. Been a long time since everything you see in game will have been earned by a player somehow. 

So no crowd funded or early access exclusives? No exclusive "collector" digital stuff with a premium box fee or pre-purchase? I haven't seen that since Lineage. EQ and EQ2 used to do that all the time. Same with LotRO, GW, and every MMO I've played since then. No digital extras for real money is a really rare thing.

They already have that stuff up for sale...

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/join/

Caseyx

Caseyx said:

Torval said:

Nanfoodle said:

So no crowd funded or early access exclusives? No exclusive "collector" digital stuff with a premium box fee or pre-purchase? I haven't seen that since Lineage. EQ and EQ2 used to do that all the time. Same with LotRO, GW, and every MMO I've played since then. No digital extras for real money is a really rare thing.

None of it add stats. Nothing to help combat. They are just some toys you can use on your first char for pledging. Nothing like the cash shops we see in MMOs where you can even buy in game gold. 
    Catibrie
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    B2P with sub...My expectations for success just dropped even more.....Terrible business model in 2017....That just screams cash grab.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Happy to buy the game and pay a sub, good old fashion payment model. 
    Nilden

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Caseyx said:

Torval said:

Nanfoodle said:

Of course they do, Captain Spaulding.

Welcome to the new age of MMO shopping malls. Maybe they'll sell some of that Ruggsville fried chicken just for you. ;-)

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Torval said:

Caseyx said:
    Torval said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Welcome to the new age of MMO shopping malls. Maybe they'll sell some of that Ruggsville fried chicken just for you. ;-)

Nanfoodle said they didn't have a cash shop. But they do have a cash shop, it's just on their website. It's so hard to have an honest real discussion about a game here when people post doublespeak crap like that.

Crowdfund packages with items is not a "cash shop." This is indeed doublespeak ;)

Aelious said:

Torval said:

Caseyx said:
    Torval said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Nanfoodle said they didn't have a cash shop. But they do have a cash shop, it's just on their website. It's so hard to have an honest real discussion about a game here when people post doublespeak crap like that.

Crowdfund packages with items is not a "cash shop." This is indeed doublespeak ;)

"Hi honey, I'm home"
    "Why did you buy a piñata for the little Johnny's birthday party? He's not allowed to eat sweets."
    "I didn't buy him sweets. I bought him a piñata."

Aelious said:

Torval said:

Caseyx said:
    Torval said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Let them educate themselves. I took time to look into the pledge items before I pledged.
    Catibrie

Torval said:

Nanfoodle said:

Aelious said:

Torval said:

Caseyx said:
    Torval said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Let them educate themselves. I took time to look into the pledge items before I pledged.

Me too. That's when I realized you're lying.

Then pls educate us, what are the pledge items?
    Catibrie
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800

Torval said:

Any item that says "In-Game Item" when you mouseover like the pet, backpack, etc.

The $500 tier, in the upper right corner, says "REAL LOOT!" in caps.

I don't mind any of that, but don't pretend it's not there either. Do

you expect them not to sell that stuff after launch? Is that a fair

expectation considering the target demographic? Is it a realistic expectation for VR that they continue to sell that stuff when their core audience doesn't like microtransactions.

It's also not fair to people reading your posts, as a super fan of the game, for you to say they don't have a cash shop when they currently do.

Real loot refers to real, physical world loot.  Like an actual map that you can hold and look at.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Whole lot of false equivalence and misrepresentation going on in here.

Everyone knows how a cash shop works. You pay for power, advancement and/or in-game prestige. Please people, stop trying to redefine it. You're sounding silly.

There is nothing in pledges that enhance or enable a player above other players. Not every page where you buy stuff is a "cash shop", no matter how hard you're trying to make it that.
    Catibrie

Torval said:

I see, to differentiate it from the in game loot.

Yes, like the Illusion flasks, Ring of the Fallen, Tunic of the Ages, Explorer's Backpack, rename vouchers, additional character slots, and in-game titles...you know, those items wrapped up in a non-cash shop crowdfunded "package"...

What's that? Oh, it's just the distant sound of a few people in this thread clicking their heels together saying, "It's not a cash shop. It's not a cash shop. It's not a cash shop."

Then...

"Wait. I clicked my heels together three times just like they said! The cash shop items haven't turned into something else! These magic slippers are defective!"