Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF Fantasy MMO with Best Quests. Preferably Solo-friendly, No PvP

sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
The title says it all; well, also pixel and voxel graphics are not acceptable.  My friend is getting a gaming computer for the first time in a decade, and asked me to find an MMO to play with him, with the intention that we spend most of our time in-game dong quests and killing monsters, either both solo but near each other, or as a pair.

So here are the requirements again:
- Game has a fantasy or science fantasy setting
- Quests!  Lots of well-written ones that communicate lore about the world and also NPCs that are interesting characters.
- Game is a full MMO with a monster-populated world to explore
- Either no PvP at all, PvP only in arenas, or PvE servers
- Game isn't too hard to solo and doesn't have loot penalties for players who aren't in group or are soloing content meant for a lower-level group
- Looks relatively nice, no pixels or voxels
- Should have wasd movement or gamepad; mouse-only movement hurts my arm.

- Minor bonus points for crafting that actually produces useful items, no gender-locked classes, the cash shop isn't too horrible (or there's an actual subscription instead)
I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

Comments

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    ESO, WildStar, SWTOR, The Secret World. Those are whatcome to mind just off the top of my head.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Can't beat World of Warcraft for PvE and quest content, even after all these years.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I could suggest some but imo you can get a better experience now a days for free on private servers.
    This is because they add in different content/ideas as well being that games are old and population hangs out at end game level,they offer ways to ease in a new player.

I can tell you right now that every single good game is end game.So you most certainly will be soloing or duoing.

Without getting int o an argument over which games are better,we seen that far to ooften,i wil lsimply tell you in order for a SOLO or DUO.

FFXI on legit servers each player can have a full group utilizing very strong npc's and it is a neat system behind it.With the PET classes in FFXI you can actually have more than a 6 man group,Beastmaster is a very powerful solo class.

EQ2 legit servers you can have a MERC,also very strong but last i played only 1 merc each.So a duo combo would in essence have 4 players.

After these two games,every game is the same for a solo/Duo pair of players,you will simply be walking around doing the same type of quests in every single game,i know i have played pretty much every game out there.

So it is all about options,if you try to do tougher content solo,you will fail in ALL games.Eventually every game hits a wall,you will need an alliance to do some stuff.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited February 2017
    Elder Scrolls Online, The Secret World and The Old Republic. All three of them are very good mmos with amazing quests. Eso has much more freedom than other two. It has an amazing world with full of exploration. Tsw has the best quest system in any mmorpg for me. It's not just the storyline. The quests in Tsw makes you think, research and learn new things all the time. And the horror setting in a mmorpg is a very unique experience for me. Swtor has the best storyline and a lot of free content to complate before you pay any money. But it is a much more linear experience than other two. All three of them are very solo firendly games.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    He seems to like Wildstar so I guess we'll try that first, but these other suggestions will get tried if he doesn't like that.  Thanks all! :)
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    No one mention LOTRO? What the hell is wrong with you people?! :anguished:

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    - Quests!  Lots of well-written ones that communicate lore about the world and also NPCs that are interesting characters.
    - Game isn't too hard to solo and doesn't have loot penalties for players who aren't in group or are soloing content meant for a lower-level group

- Minor bonus points for crafting that actually produces useful items, no gender-locked classes, the cash shop isn't too horrible (or there's an actual subscription instead)
    Lord of the rings online
    Tolkien fantasy setting, all legendary characters/locations
    Same with quests.
    PvP only in designated areas (Etenmoors), sparring is optional, you can turn it off.
    Most content soloable, only last regions and their Warbands require group
    The only thing about gender: Dwarves have only male. Some classes are locked to race, but not to gender.
    SUbscription: free model (with restrictions); subscription. Started regions and epic quests are free, rest may be purchased with Lotro points (received for doing deeds, like slaying, exploring, using skills...). WHile you are paying, most of regions are rented to you for free. Stop paying, lose access to local quests.
    Cash shop is something users feel divided. If you are pure free player, you will need to buy lots of stuff. Remove gold cap, purchase riding skill, crafting Guild access, premium wallet etc. There is also cosmetics, like fancy horses or dresses. But there are combat things too (ones you can earn).
    Crafting: Supreme essences produced only by real players, not any NPCs. Some quality equipment is player produced too.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    No one mention LOTRO? What the hell is wrong with you people?! :anguished:
    Can't speak for others, personally I stayed aside because if I remember right, @sunandshadow is prefectly familiar with LotRO.
    So yep, as the checklist is pretty much a description of LotRO, I assumed the friend looks something which is like LotRO but not that exactly, for some reason.

I'm with the others above for TSW, especially for the second point, writing and NPCs are awesome there. (but TSW fits to the rest of the list too) Wildstar is fun as well, if he likes it already.

The only thing about gender: Dwarves have only male. Some classes are locked to race, but not to gender.
    And weavers are all females :wink:  (but based on the list pvp is not in the focus anyways)
    Because of clothes are not locked either, there are plenty of dwarf ladies in the game, there were dwarven weddings, etc.
    Must be a bit odd, since for the engine they're still guys, so NPCs address them as 'he', and in relationship they can't be 'mother of' or 'daughter of' other characters for example.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Lotro and EQ2. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    ESO best fits your request.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    FFXIV:ARR, SW:TOR, both solo and group friendly games, and both absolutely worth trying out if you hadn't played them before. B)
  • OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    edited February 2017
    The title says it all; well, also pixel and voxel graphics are not acceptable.  My friend is getting a gaming computer for the first time in a decade, and asked me to find an MMO to play with him, with the intention that we spend most of our time in-game dong quests and killing monsters, either both solo but near each other, or as a pair.

I recently started playing DC online, the lore is amazing since it focuses around some historic villians in comics/cartoons/movies. You fight thru Gotham and other historic cities. Theres so much to explore since you can either fly, scale walls or run at lightning speed.

I been playing on my ps4, its available for xbox1 and pc as well. it has housing and crafting. However im only getting started not sure how relavent crafting is. 

As far as the questing......its the same, kill X amount, obtain X amount of items, but it feels diffrent.

As far as customization, itts godly. Love it.

Its f2p, so try it out. However theres a big diffrence between free and memberships ($15 a month) but since its f2p you can play it till you decide, no level limit or paywalls. But membership lets you have more money, shorter loot lockouts, just try it. 

I find it hard to beleive that this game isnt more popular considering alot of the LFG forum threads, this game would fit in.
  • zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Very solo friendly and no PvP: Witcher 3, Skyrim, Dark Souls III
  • ShortspellShortspell Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Phry said:
    FFXIV:ARR, SW:TOR, both solo and group friendly games, and both absolutely worth trying out if you hadn't played them before. B)

If you want to do the story quests though in FFXIV, you have to party up for the dungeons, and although there's a duty finder, if you're not good at dungeon play (and yes, there are some of us around) it's a bit of a stressful experience, and not one I enjoyed.  That's a personal view though, most people seem very comfortable with group play.
  • jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    What about Star Trek Online ?  Would it fit the bill ?

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Best quest story lines IMO. SWTOR class stories, I really enjoyed operative, assassin, and a few others.  ESO (great graphics) and GW2 (very casual friendly) enjoyable personal stories with lots of interesting quests all over the place.  TSW has great quests but a lot of people can't get past the way they do combat.  Aion has great quests but has areas with open world PvP at later levels and is a grind fest but I hear not as bad as it was. Blade and Soul.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ethanlallaethanlalla Member UncommonPosts: 105
    SWTOR hands down.
    Playing or interested in playing SWTOR? Use my referral link here and we will both get rewards! Including a week of game time for you, if you are a preferred status player! Click here for more info!
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    Echoing SWTOR here

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    TSW:L when it goes live. Assuming they haven't gutted it for the relaunch.
  • MexenlivesMexenlives Member UncommonPosts: 42
    LotRO or EQ2.  Current offerings are trash IMO.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    The Secret World, has the best quest system and quests of all-time.  Its not a gather 50 quests and do em without reading, if you really enjoy, and I mean really enjoy questing, then no doubt TSW is where to go.  But wait for the relaunch in a few months, the rest of the game was clunky

It has pvp, but its only like a battle ground

as far as quests, you can only have 5 quests active, 1 (main) 1 (story) 3 missions, and you follow chains around the zones. (not sure of actual quest categories)
  • ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212
    How the heck noone mentioned Project Gorgon?

To me seems like a perfect match, minus the dated graphics!
    Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)

Myrdynn said:

The Secret World, has the best quest system and quests of all-time.  

Yep, it had, with a great "net" design, and missions leading you through the story and the world. Had, since that aspect will also get a dumbing down in Legends. Speaking of Legend,

Myrdynn said:

But wait for the relaunch in a few months, the rest of the game was clunky

Errr... how is it relevant to suggest a single/co-op action game to the OP? Lemme check the list quickly,
    - Game is a full MMO
    Yeah, it really is a fitting suggestion :lol:  (hint, /sarcasm)

But it was a nice bump for an older thread, I too said above TSW (it was even before the finance report came out), now I had to change that sadly in the light of recent happenings. And since LotRO is not fitting for some reasons, I guess I drop here AoC instead. Not as great quest desing TSW had, it's just the usual quest-hub setting, but the writing is pretty good, the lore tie-ins too, and has quite a lot of interesting characters (few of them even got their own novel). Sure, it is Funcom as well, but they've already f.cked it a couple years ago, and it's now on maintenance mode, so it is pretty much safe...

TOR has nice storylines as said above (at least on a couple classes), but after the last couple revamps I can't suggest it in good faith (but it's just me, so you should try it for yourself).
    Wildstar, if he still likes it, is a good pick too, tons of quests, nice overall lore, and some interesting characters... but the writing is pretty average, and while it is nice for solo, it really gives tons of benefits for group play.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited April 2017

Po_gg said:

Myrdynn said:

The Secret World, has the best quest system and quests of all-time.  

Yep, it had, with a great "net" design, and missions leading you through the story and the world. Had, since that aspect will also get a dumbing down in Legends. Speaking of Legend,

Myrdynn said:

But wait for the relaunch in a few months, the rest of the game was clunky

Errr... how is it relevant to suggest a single/co-op action game to the OP? Lemme check the list quickly,
    - Game is a full MMO
    Yeah, it really is a fitting suggestion :lol:  (hint, /sarcasm)

But it was a nice bump for an older thread, I too said above TSW (it was even before the finance report came out), now I had to change that sadly in the light of recent happenings. And since LotRO is not fitting for some reasons, I guess I drop here AoC instead. Not as great quest desing TSW had, it's just the usual quest-hub setting, but the writing is pretty good, the lore tie-ins too, and has quite a lot of interesting characters (few of them even got their own novel). Sure, it is Funcom as well, but they've already f.cked it a couple years ago, and it's now on maintenance mode, so it is pretty much safe...

TOR has nice storylines as said above (at least on a couple classes), but after the last couple revamps I can't suggest it in good faith (but it's just me, so you should try it for yourself).
    Wildstar, if he still likes it, is a good pick too, tons of quests, nice overall lore, and some interesting characters... but the writing is pretty average, and while it is nice for solo, it really gives tons of benefits for group play.

In all honesty... TSW MMO was not good to play with a partner IMO...
    I tried making duo characters with a friend, and the constant use of SOLO instances that force you to split up and do your own instance drove us nuts.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the game to bits - but playing it co-op wasn't one of its strengths. SWTOR initially did a better job at it, until they wrecked that part with the KotFE update for the most part. (Although the original content is still great for duo'ing).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

edited April 2017
    Azaron_Nightblade said:

In all honesty... TSW MMO was not good to play with a partner IMO...
    I tried making duo characters with a friend, and the constant use of SOLO instances that force you to split up and do your own instance drove us nuts.

That is true, and was one of the valid complaints, too many solo instances in the early zones. If you check back in previous LFG threads, I usually didn't suggest it for specifically duo play*. But if you check sunandshadow's OP:
    "...an MMO to play with him, with the intention that we spend most of our time in-game dong quests and killing monsters, either both solo but near each other, or as a pair."
    That's why I listed TSW above (and also because for some reason LotRO is not an option :wink: )
    But that was two months ago, and it's just a thread necro anyways... so it's already water under Mosul's bridge.

* edit: but if you had a deck for those solo instances in the beginning and the story instances, the rest of game was great in a duo, you could build your decks to complete and enhance each other. Not that it mattered after the NPE changes, the game became fairly easy after that. And in Tokyo you could bring your duo partner even into story instances, you they actually fixed that "way too many solo instances" mistake later.