Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you are looking for a desktop...

GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
...It would be hard to beat this one.  Have no idea how long this will be on sale, but all it needs is a modern video card to be a true beast.  And, the one that it comes with isn't so bad...  I bought one and am planning on putting my XFX 8GB RX-480 in it.  It should be a very, very solid gaming desktop for several years.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    That's a pretty good price for what you're getting.  I hope you get many years of fun from it.  It should be good to go for a while.  I would take Torval's advice though.  
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    FWIW, if i was going to buy this at the price it is, I would just take it AS IS and then dump the entire system when looking to make your next upgrade.  It won't be worth upgrading the internals of a Lenovo to accomodate new processors, or PSUs, if the PSU can't handle whatever the next gen video card is (which is the only upgrade I would consider down the road) -- just replace the entire thing.  That's the beauty in buying a cheap pre-built.  I personally drop about 3 grand on my PC's every 3 years or so because I want the BoTB at the time, but to each their own.  This is by no means a bad system for playing relevant content at 1080p on high graphics.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Make sure you can upgrade the power supply first. I've read a few comments about that lenovo model where people said it uses a proprietary PSU connector and upgrading it was a problem.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I have a 750W Antec Gold with this computer's name on it!

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    REFURBISHED!  GET THE HOLY WATER GILES!

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    GladDog said:
    I have a 750W Antec Gold with this computer's name on it!
    It may not work with this pc though. Check the specs first.
    I've always got a plan.  I'll get a new motherboard and move it to my existing case if need be.  Even at that the money works out in my favor, although doing that WILL cut the favor a lot.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    That computer would be good for someone who doesn't play games.

For a gamer, the video card is shit and you can't upgrade it without also changing PSU. Even assuming you can upgrade those without trouble, it's not so good deal any more after that.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Vrika said:

For a gamer, the video card is shit and you can't upgrade it without also changing PSU. Even assuming you can upgrade those without trouble, it's not so good deal any more after that.
    Oh come on, there is nothing wrong with the video card.  You elitists crack me up.  I have  960 in my other computer and it plays all the games fine, maybe not on ultra settings, but unless you have to play at 4k, it works fine at 1080p.
    edited April 2017
    I have 3 PSUs in the house that can handle my 8gb RX-480 video card.  Yes, I am that much of a geek.  If none of them will work in the system, I'll buy a motherboard and put the components in my current case using my vid.  This computer sells for $1129 off of the Lenovo site.  Yeah, it is overpriced at $1129, but even with realistic pricing, I can drop a hundred on a motherboard and still be ahead.

• ScarranScarran Member UncommonPosts: 102
    edited April 2017
    This desktop does come with its own Lenovo proprietary 10-pin ATX connector so if you want to upgrade the PSU on it you can get this adapter here to get around that issue: https://www.moddiy.com/products/IBM-Lenovo-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-10%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html

That should make it alot easier upgrading the PSU inside the thing as you will be SOL without the adapter.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Vrika said:

LOL the 960 is fine for maaaaaany games right now. I love people that dont know what they are talking about.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
    Scarran said:
    This desktop does come with its own Lenovo proprietary 10-pin ATX connector so if you want to upgrade the PSU on it you can get this adapter here to get around that issue: https://www.moddiy.com/products/IBM-Lenovo-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-10%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html

That should make it alot easier upgrading the PSU inside the thing as you will be SOL without the adapter.

Thanks for the link, I will take a look at the setup when I get it, to see whether it needs the 10 or 14 pin adapter.  This will be a much cleaner and easier fix.  And cheaper than buying a motherboard.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yeah price seems good but i am guessing usa dollars?That would be more like 1000+ CDN.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Ozmodan said:
    Vrika said:

Oh come on, there is nothing wrong with the video card.  You elitists crack me up.  I have  960 in my other computer and it plays all the games fine, maybe not on ultra settings, but unless you have to play at 4k, it works fine at 1080p.
    GTX 960 still runs nearly every game and it's a good enough graphic card.

But I wouldn't want to buy your used computer at $700 dollars even if it were refurbished by Newegg. For gaming, at that price, I think there are better options available.

Vrika said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Vrika said:

GTX 960 still runs nearly every game and it's a good enough graphic card.

But I wouldn't want to buy your used computer at $700 dollars even if it were refurbished by Newegg. For gaming, at that price, I think there are better options available.
    I'm going to buy a $15 cable so I can put my 750W Antec gamer gold PSU in, and put in my RX-480 video card.  My 512GB SSD is going to replace the 256GB one it comes with, and the 256GB is going into my current computer; if my wife wants to play Ship of Heroes that machine should work well.  The only game she ever played was City of Heroes.  I am going to add a 120mm fan at the front of the case, and replace the 120mm fan at the back with a better one.  The 2GB GTX960 is going into my current computer, a Sandy Bridge 15-3470 with 16GB ram that will become my wife's computer.  I also have a 620W Antec gamer gold PSU to put in that one.  My 500W Thermaltake PSU will go in the machine the 620W is coming out of; the computer hooked to my living room TV with the BluRay drive that I use for netflix (E8400 4GB ram, 256GB SSD + 500GB HDD + GTS250 512mb card), Star Trek Online and EQ2.

Because of my backstock of parts and multiple desktops, I'm going to get a lot of win out of this machine.

The thing that scares me the most about buying this is that this will be the first computer I did not build for myself since 1993.

GladDog said:
    Because of my backstock of parts and multiple desktops, I'm going to get a lot of win out of this machine.
    If you've already got that many parts and can also find use for the GTX 960 you take out, then I think it's really good purchase.

edited April 2017
    So I got the computer, and a few surprises.

1 - It is using a standard wide Micro ATX motherboard layout.  It would fit in any micro tower.
    2 - The power supply is using a standard layout, and would fit in any PC compatible case.  Why they chose to use a proprietary power connection is beyond me.
    3 - The tower would work with any normal setup, and has space for 3 hard drives.
    4 - It has 4 PCI-e Slots.  One is a PCI-e 3.0
    5 - Wifi!  So I can put it wherever I want.

So now, I am deciding, Will I buy the $15 power connector to get it working with a real video card, or a $100 MicroATX Z170 motherboard? If I buy the board, eventually the old setup will get an i5 2 core or 4 core and a video card that does not have a power plug (RX-460 or a GTX1050).

***ADDED AS AN EDIT***

I bought the cable, and I will buy the motherboard, cheap CPU and a case in the future.  I have enough HDDs and other parts to go around for another build!
    Post edited by GladDog on

I got the power connector and made with the jinkies.  This motherboard, an Intel C232 that can take either an LGA 1151 Xeon, or an i7 Ivy Bridge, or a Kaby Lake, has ports on it to power SATA drives.  Yes, this system used motherboard power to power 3 SATA drives. bleh.  Well, it's in good shape now.  Since I am only going to run one RX-480 in it for now, I put in my Antec ECO GAMER 620W PSU.  It has an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector for video cards,  and the 8 pin is powering the 480.  I put in my 512GB SSD and kept the 1TB HDD in there.  And the drives are being run by the PSU just fine.

So this is a;
    i7-6700
    32GB DDR4-2133 memory
    1 BD drive (BluRay + DVDRW)
    1 512GB SSD
    1 1TB HDD
    XFX RX-480 video card with 8GB
    Win 10 Pro
    ANTEC ECO 620W Gamer PSU

My 'old' system, which will be hooked to my TV downstairs (this one will eventually get a BIG BOY motherboard and come back upstairs to the game room);
    i5-3470
    16GB DDR3-1600 memory
    1 BD Drive + 1 DVD drive
    1 256GB SSD
    1 640GB HDD
    Reference GTX960 vid with 2GB
    Win10 Home
    ANTEC GAMER GOLD 750W PSU

So yeah, I am happy...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Grats my friend!
    Imma ready for some Bless!

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Just too late for me.  Oh well, better luck next deal....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Here is another good deal, although it is not as powerful as the one I got, it is a good platform to build on.

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA6BM5754157?utm_source=NFEmail041117&utm_medium=index&utm_campaign=SaleBanner_B3D_9SIA6BM5754157&cm_mmc=EMC-NFEmail041117-_-SaleBanner_B3D_9SIA6BM5754157-_-NA-_-9SIA6BM5754157

A few caveats;
    *it is using an H110 motherboard, so I am unsure if it will support a 7th gen Intel CPU.  It likely only has 2 memory slots, so if you want to upgrade your RAM the two installed chips will be replaced, not added to.
    *I searched, and the PSU is 350W, not enough if you add a video card with a power plug.

Someone could buy this and use it as a passable gaming unit until they could afford a 500W+ PSU and a one-plug video card like a GTX1060 or an RX-480.  Or they could probably get away with the included PSU if they used a no-plug vid, like a GTX1050 or an RX-460.  Personally I would upgrade the PSU to at least 600W and add a 1060 or a 480.  The 600W would mean there was enough power for a better vid later.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

GladDog said:

Here is another good deal, although it is not as powerful as the one I got, it is a good platform to build on.

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA6BM5754157?utm_source=NFEmail041117&utm_medium=index&utm_campaign=SaleBanner_B3D_9SIA6BM5754157&cm_mmc=EMC-NFEmail041117-_-SaleBanner_B3D_9SIA6BM5754157-_-NA-_-9SIA6BM5754157

A few caveats;
    *it is using an H110 motherboard, so I am unsure if it will support a 7th gen Intel CPU.  It likely only has 2 memory slots, so if you want to upgrade your RAM the two installed chips will be replaced, not added to.
    *I searched, and the PSU is 350W, not enough if you add a video card with a power plug.

Someone could buy this and use it as a passable gaming unit until they could afford a 500W+ PSU and a one-plug video card like a GTX1060 or an RX-480.  Or they could probably get away with the included PSU if they used a no-plug vid, like a GTX1050 or an RX-460.  Personally I would upgrade the PSU to at least 600W and add a 1060 or a 480.  The 600W would mean there was enough power for a better vid later.

How do you know that it's a good deal?  What's in it?  The only thing that you know is in it is a CPU that you know that you don't want.  If the plan is to buy that and upgrade it to a respectable $800 gaming desktop, it's likely that you'd pay $700+ to buy the upgrade components.